IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Page 11 of 13: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A fun loving film for the whole family!

Author: miasev from Australia
29 January 2012

I saw Journey 2 the day of release here in Australia in 3D and was worried that it would be a cringe fest film of hit and miss humor and horrible 3D effects. I was wrong!

Journey 2 links well to Journey to the Center of the Earth without dwelling on it too much and cleverly introducing the new characters into the franchise.

Dwayne Johnson who plays Hank Parsons gives that macho touch as well as some humorous moments to the film, especially with his 'peck pop of love' (ladies, you'll love that one). He gives a fantastic performance and interacts with the other characters well.

Josh Hutcherson reprises his role as Sean Anderson, also giving a wonderful performance. This talented actor did not fault through out the film, no complaints here...he's definitely one to watch out for in 2012.

Michael Cain who plays Sean Anderson's adventurous grandfather connects well with Hutcherson's character, but also completes the action scenes with ease showing us that he's still got it!

Vanessa Hudgens holds up her end surprisingly well as Kailani, aspiring university student and tough girl, giving a decent, solid, performance...no cringe moments on her behalf.

funny man Luis Guzman did not fail as the ignorant but loving father of Kailani (Hudgens). His funny one liners and hilarious actions had me giggling.

As for the 3D effects i was pleasantly surprised! 3D usually makes me as dizzy as ever and i'm always tempted to remove the glasses. Journey 2, however, was cleverly put together so we weren't watching a blurred film full of action 24/7 and when we were watching some action, it was well executed with elements of slow motion.

Journey 2 is such a feel good film. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to watch some adventure. I will happily go see it again and you know its a good film when you want to go back for more!

A Nutshell Review: Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
18 January 2012

Journey to the Center of the Earth was one of the earliest 3D movies in this recent revival of what would already be the very tired 3D gimmick that has been invading our theatres, especially when films take the easy way out to convert to 3D during post production just to milk a few more bucks out of a weary audience. And this weariness now extends to this sequel with only cast member Josh Hutcherson returning as Sean Anderson, in a follow up story that's loosely set in yet another Jules Verne novel called The Mysterious Island.

But the premise also incorporates other novels such as Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, Jonathan Swift's Gilliver's Travels and Verne's own 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, with the former two being a bit of a riddle that Dwayne Johnson's tough guy Hank Parsons, the beefcake needed to fill the void left by Brendan Fraser who played Sean's dad, solves like a no-brainer, with his character's vast intellect of convenience to almost always managing to assemble things and clues together for whatever predicament he finds himself in. Not too sure how fast a flood will submerge an island? Just ask Hank. Need to jumpstart an ancient submersible? Well, just ask Hank too, and he'll probably do a live demonstration while at it.

Yes, The Rock becomes superman here, well muscled so much so that mating rituals involve jiggling those pectoral muscles. As foster father to Sean, he tries hard enough to fill those shoes left behind by a dad who had taken off (easy way to write off a character from the past and yet saving him for potential installments), and thought that bringing Sean to an adventure of a lifetime of the latter's choosing may well be the antidote for the teen to open up and accept him. They meet up with tour guide Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens) who together with her chopper flying dad Gabato (Luis Guzman), they head of to the coordinates that Sean and Hank possess of the location of Mysterious Island, and soon finds themselves stranded, and chancing upon Sean's long lost grandfather Alexander (Michael Caine), an adventurer who has been residing on the island for the longest time.

So begins an extremely quick and summarized tour of an island that is paradise, except for its ecology turned upside down where large and small animals in our part of the world, become complete opposites there, where elephants fit the palm of your hands, and monitor lizards, centipedes and other creepy crawlies becoming dinosaur like in proportion. After discovering just about every lost world fable and associating them with elements in this story, it's soon decided that the island will eventually submerge in a few days then reduced to hours, if the motley crew does not then decide to abandon island and look for a way out and back to the real world. Cue the all important montage sequences of traversing on top of mountains and the like, with generously short pit stops to admire unnatural landscapes such as a volcano that spews gold.

As an action adventure movie for children, this film served its purpose well, despite flaws that only accompanying adults will find distracting. There's the quintessential chase on foot by enormous beasts, taking to the skies riding on gigantic, friendly bees while being tailed by predator birds, and diving deep into the ocean to do battle with electric eels the size of sea serpents. These may sound like a lot of fun, but somehow director Brad Peyton, whose filmography other than a series of short films is Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore, his inexperience in crafting energetic, edge of your seat material (at least like those in the first film which were really effective) was found to be wanting. For all the writers available to craft the story and screenplay, Journey 2 is surprisingly lacking in character development - save for some really lightweight foster father-son bonding - and packs in plenty of plot conveniences that demands you to accept everything on screen that happens at face value, albeit at times resolved quite randomly as well.

In some ways this may prove to be effective for the young ones without the need to grasp complex plot lines, but to the adults you'll just have to make do with being distracted by Vanessa Hudgen's outfit in the show with that really low cut tank top. Michael Caine plays his grandfatherly figure for the umpteenth time, while Luis Guzman is just there to contribute comedy. Dwayne Johnson as the lead in a family friendly film tones down his tough guy persona and flashes those pearly whites all too often, while showcasing that he has an incredible singing voice that will probably delight fans that he can one day star in a musical should age catch up on him and he finds himself no longer welcomed in a future Expandables movie.

The 3D effects weren't really worth the hike in price, and pales in comparison to the first film which had effectively utilized the gimmick to add an extra dimension (pardon the pun) to its set action sequences. Watching it on an IMAX screen provided that little bit of scale and spectacle, however you'd know that the landscapes are all make belief, with the action- adventure portion let down by the lack of inventiveness for the characters to throw themselves in. The spirit of adventure and the excitement found in the first film, were sorely lost in this installment decide having bigger names attached to the cast.

Time-Pass...

Author: nama chakravorty from India
6 June 2012

A sequel to the 2008 film Journey to the Center of the Earth, 'Journey 2: The Mysterious Island' is a time-pass flick, that shouldn't be taken too seriously. Its nothing, but pop-corn entertainment.

'Journey 2: The Mysterious Island' Synopsis: Sean Anderson partners with his mom's husband on a mission to find his grandfather, who is thought to be missing on a mythical island.

'Journey 2: The Mysterious Island' works because it never pretends to be anything else, but a pop-corn entertainer. Brian Gunn & Mark Gunn's Screenplay is fast-paced & escapist. Brad Peyton's Direction is imaginative. Graphics are terrific.

Performance-Wise: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is excellent, as always. Sir Michael Caine proves once again, that he can never disappoint. Josh Hutcherson is alright. Vanessa Hudgens is as usual. Luis Guzman is funny, while Kristin Davis appears in a cameo.

On the whole, 'Journey 2: The Mysterious Island' is a time-pass fare.

Bad ... but good! Just plain fun.

Author: daniel-829 from Austria
24 May 2012

There are a lot of negative comments here on IMDb, and I think most negative comments are unjust. It's a fantasy movie. Deal with it. It is not supposed to be realistic. It sort of reminds me of Adventure films of the past that awed us. Now we laugh at giant bees and silly stories of Jules Verne.

I actually liked it quite a bit. Nice way to tie in Jules Verne and his other books, this is a pleasurable movie for anyone who just wants to be entertained. It's worth your money, it'll entertain you, and you'll flinch a few times too. Some of the acting, the dialogue or storytelling is a bit awkward and overdone. Then again this is what you get from a film of this caliber.

Don't knock it, you'll have fun.

Nice addition

Author: kosmasp
14 May 2012

As predictable as this is, as much fun it is. Which does not solely rely on The Rock (aka Dwayne Johnson) being in it, but lets just say, he's a big part in the whole thing. Of course everyone who saw the Hunger Games (especially Teenage girls) will be excited to see one of their beloved characters be in this one too.

Of course there is Selena Gomez for the boys in this too. Plus you have your generic comedy relief (the dad, not Dwayne) and some really nice special effects (not talking about The Rocks breast here either). Cinematography is really good, the 3-D not really needed, but has some nice bits in it. Nice easy fun to be had then

good movie

Author: chrisdyenewguy (drpeperguy72@yahoo.com) from United States
1 March 2012

well i just got back from seeing this movie and all in all it was not what i expected at all i really expected to hate this movie and all it stood for but i found myself having a wonderful time and really enjoying it i think you should give it a chance if you have seen every thing Else good in theaters you might be surprised at how much you may enjoy it it was a fun fast moving good time for our entire family and we all loved it awesome great action and the rock once again is great as usual but i don't want to give too much away or anything so i will not tell you any of the story at all and just go see this wonderful family film for yourself

It's "cute"....

Author: oli-7811 from Montreal, qc
26 February 2012

I have to admit, Journey to the Center of the Earth is a little better, if you are planning on watching this as a "sequel". This brings up the question as to whether or not it really is a sequel; no. Though the plot is a little lame, the acting average, and the storyline a little predictable, I somehow enjoyed the movie anyway. As in "Journey to the Center of the Earth", the 3D effects are pretty good, the CGI is on par also.

If I had kids, I'd definitely bring them to see this movie, it's playful and light-hearted, and does have a moral about father figures. Dwight Johnson is no Denzel, but his personality always shines through his acting (which is supposed to be a bad thing for an actor), and it leads me to like his roles a little more. I don't care if the rating says PG, this is obviously a G movie, there was a 3 and a 4 year old behind me in the theatre, and a bunch of teens, and I'm 33; we all laughed at the funny scenes, nothing was hard to understand, and no one cried at the big lizard.

Whereas in Journey to the Center of the Earth the characters spent a lot of time developing the plot for us, and finding their way to "the Center", in this movie, there is no plot development, or mystery, they and most of the movie is spent on the Island.

Overall the movie is fun, just don't spend too much time looking for depth or analyzing the movie. It was worth seeing even with the price of a 3D movie ticket.

Entertaining family fun

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
17 February 2012

The title of this movie is both clever and confusing: is it textspeak or a sequel? I don't remember Journey 1, do you? It turns out that it is a sequel, but it is a sequel to 2008's Journey To The Center Of The Earth, with Josh Hutcherson repeating his role as Sean Anderson. This time he is teamed up with his new stepfather Dwayne Johnson instead of Uncle Brendan Fraser on a new venture based on one of Jules Verne's novels (he has also had a Mom upgrade, to Kristin Davis). The two of them are off in search of Sean's missing grandfather Alexander Anderson (Michael Caine), the original Verne enthusiast, with the aide of comedy helicopter pilot Gabato (Luis Guzman) and his comely daughter Lailani (Vanessa Hudgens).

This is a family movie with lots of fun fantasy visuals and action sequences. The characters work well enough and are mostly well played, although this must rank as one of Michael Caine's worst ever performances. And Guzman's Gabato is drawn so broadly that, a lot of the time, he irritates rather than amuses.

But Hutcherson and Johnson do well enough as the resentful stepson and the stepfather trying to create a relationship: this is actually a charming and moving heart to a rather slight movie. Hudgens is, as always, cute, although her part requires her to hold back on her trademark smile until late in the day.

This is a lot lighter in tone than Harryhausen's Mysterious Island from the 60s: the CGI effects are all slickly realised but, for me, the creatures don't have quite the same degree of quirky character that their stop-motion predecessors had. Nonetheless, I'm glad that we have both films.

It is probably worth seeing this in 3D - it really suits some of the sequences.

Journey 2 Was Great

Author: overtondg from United States
13 February 2012

My kids and I loved this movie, we had laugh out loud moments and my son even jumped a few time from some surprising moments. I have to say that thought this movie did not have any great cinematic moments it is a kids movie and as such it excelled. I do not know why people are ripping this movie apart since it was meant to be fun and fast moving, if it takes too long to get to a point or an action moment it will lose the attention of the kids and the actors really played to the kids with their mannerisms and facial expressions. The peck popping had my son laughing so hard he doubled over, no it is not sexual and there is no bad language, since that is very rare to find in any movie now a days I cherish all the movies I can get for my kids. If you want to have a feel good movie and that is extremely kid friendly then I say go and see it.

An Innocuous Sightseeing Journey

Author: Jin Maruhashi
23 March 2012

Set in a land abounding with Lilliputian elephants, Brobdingnagian lizards, blindingly coruscating sea serpents and gold-spewing volcanoes, "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" exhibits a visual gasconade of rather derivative, technologically spawned fauna and suscitates rare instances of engaging conflicts with the film's characters, which ultimately renders the arcane and supposedly perilous exploration an innocuous sightseeing experience. In comparison to its previous installment, "Journey to the Center of the Earth", the second one benefits from Dwayne Johnson's rather risible facetiousness but suffers from an ephemerality of suspenseful chases and from a dearth of clever, screen-protruding scenes made possible by the film's 3D component. The storyline itself fails to incorporate any new thrills given its harmlessly hackneyed three-step approach of finding the enigmatical territory, exploring its content and escaping from it unscathed. Overall, "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" is a harmless touristic stroll across an intricately designed environment of bizarreness.

Page 11 of 13: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]