IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 11 of 13: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Time-Pass...

Author: nama chakravorty from India
6 June 2012

A sequel to the 2008 film Journey to the Center of the Earth, 'Journey 2: The Mysterious Island' is a time-pass flick, that shouldn't be taken too seriously. Its nothing, but pop-corn entertainment.

'Journey 2: The Mysterious Island' Synopsis: Sean Anderson partners with his mom's husband on a mission to find his grandfather, who is thought to be missing on a mythical island.

'Journey 2: The Mysterious Island' works because it never pretends to be anything else, but a pop-corn entertainer. Brian Gunn & Mark Gunn's Screenplay is fast-paced & escapist. Brad Peyton's Direction is imaginative. Graphics are terrific.

Performance-Wise: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is excellent, as always. Sir Michael Caine proves once again, that he can never disappoint. Josh Hutcherson is alright. Vanessa Hudgens is as usual. Luis Guzman is funny, while Kristin Davis appears in a cameo.

On the whole, 'Journey 2: The Mysterious Island' is a time-pass fare.

Great action-adventure movie for people of all ages...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
17 May 2012

"Journey to he Mysterious Island" is actually a rather good action adventure movie for the younger audience, and actually also for the adults. This movie is like a roller-coaster of thrills and action.

The story is about Sean (played by Josh Hutcherson) who is living with his mother (played by Kristin Davis) and his stepfather Hank (played by Dwayne Johnson). He receives a strange radio broadcast message that is encrypted, from whom he believes is his grandfather Alexander (played by Michael Caine) who has been gone for two years. Together, Sean and his stepfather break the code and go on a wild adventure in search of the fabled Mysterious Island. And to take them there, they hire the help of local Polynesians Gabato (played by Luis Guzmán) and his daughter Kailani (played by Vanessa Hudgens).

Now, the people cast for the various roles did great jobs with their performances and there was a lot of good chemistry amongst the cast members. And it was clear that everyone there were enjoying themselves, having fun making the movie.

"Journey to the Mysterious Island" is a splendor of amazing scenery and special effects. The various gargantuan and tiny creatures were so nicely made and they looked like real creatures. So the CGI team here really made the movie come to life and it was like you were there yourself.

And the details to the island itself, wow! I was speechless, it looked so amazingly beautiful. I love it when the movie makers put lots of effort into the sets and scenery, because that really helps a movie so well along.

Whether you are a kid, teenager or adult, then "Journey to the Mysterious Island" is a great movie to sit down and watch, and it is one fun action ride. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the movie actually does have enough content to be watched a second time, which is great, as most movies are usually just the types you watch once and then probably never again.

So strap yourself in and prepare to go on an action roller-coaster ride on a spectacular island of great beauty.

Nice addition

Author: kosmasp
14 May 2012

As predictable as this is, as much fun it is. Which does not solely rely on The Rock (aka Dwayne Johnson) being in it, but lets just say, he's a big part in the whole thing. Of course everyone who saw the Hunger Games (especially Teenage girls) will be excited to see one of their beloved characters be in this one too.

Of course there is Selena Gomez for the boys in this too. Plus you have your generic comedy relief (the dad, not Dwayne) and some really nice special effects (not talking about The Rocks breast here either). Cinematography is really good, the 3-D not really needed, but has some nice bits in it. Nice easy fun to be had then

See Dwayne Johnson, Michael Caine, and the rest have the time of their lives in the 3-D Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
3 March 2012

Josh Hutcherson is teen Sean Anderson, Dwayne Johnson is his stepfather Hank, Michael Caine is Sean's grandfather Alexander who they're looking for, Luis Guzman is Gabato who's the helicopter pilot that takes them to the island Alexander is supposed to be on, and Vanessa Hudgens is Kailani, Gabato's daughter who tags along. This movie takes elements not only of Jules Verne but also of Robert Louis Stevenson and Jonathan Swift (acknowledged in the dialogue) and brings a fun, exciting ride to the title place with plenty of thrilling 3-D elements to the proceedings. Oh, and the former Rock dose a nice rendition of "What a Wonderful World" with changed lyrics to relate to his characterization of the people he's with. Really, I highly enjoyed this movie and really recommend it to any families wanting to have a good time for a couple of hours. And don't miss the new Daffy Duck cartoon that precedes it! So yes, I was entertained with my movie theatre-working friend when watching Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.

good movie

Author: chrisdyenewguy (drpeperguy72@yahoo.com) from United States
1 March 2012

well i just got back from seeing this movie and all in all it was not what i expected at all i really expected to hate this movie and all it stood for but i found myself having a wonderful time and really enjoying it i think you should give it a chance if you have seen every thing Else good in theaters you might be surprised at how much you may enjoy it it was a fun fast moving good time for our entire family and we all loved it awesome great action and the rock once again is great as usual but i don't want to give too much away or anything so i will not tell you any of the story at all and just go see this wonderful family film for yourself

It's "cute"....

Author: oli-7811 from Montreal, qc
26 February 2012

I have to admit, Journey to the Center of the Earth is a little better, if you are planning on watching this as a "sequel". This brings up the question as to whether or not it really is a sequel; no. Though the plot is a little lame, the acting average, and the storyline a little predictable, I somehow enjoyed the movie anyway. As in "Journey to the Center of the Earth", the 3D effects are pretty good, the CGI is on par also.

If I had kids, I'd definitely bring them to see this movie, it's playful and light-hearted, and does have a moral about father figures. Dwight Johnson is no Denzel, but his personality always shines through his acting (which is supposed to be a bad thing for an actor), and it leads me to like his roles a little more. I don't care if the rating says PG, this is obviously a G movie, there was a 3 and a 4 year old behind me in the theatre, and a bunch of teens, and I'm 33; we all laughed at the funny scenes, nothing was hard to understand, and no one cried at the big lizard.

Whereas in Journey to the Center of the Earth the characters spent a lot of time developing the plot for us, and finding their way to "the Center", in this movie, there is no plot development, or mystery, they and most of the movie is spent on the Island.

Overall the movie is fun, just don't spend too much time looking for depth or analyzing the movie. It was worth seeing even with the price of a 3D movie ticket.

Colorful Dumb Fun

Author: cultfilmfreaksdotcom from Orange County, CA
20 February 2012

Let's get the negatives out of the way: the multicolored computer-animated MYSTERIOUS ISLAND resembles a seventies Hanna Barbara cartoon. And the reason for two suburbanites venturing into a distant island has practically no set up or logic. But it doesn't matter since the adventure itself is fun and involving, and yes, completely banal – but that's not a bad thing.

Teenage Sean, from JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, has a new stepfather, Hank, played by The Rock, that he can't stand. Until the muscular, surprisingly resilient ex Navy man breaks a code sent from Sean's "Vernian" (Jules Verne fanatic) grandfather, who's found the Mysterious Island the iconic author wrote about.

Along the way the duo meet two essential yet, in this case, completely contrived device characters – Luis Guzman as the helicopter pilot comic relief trying way too hard, and his gorgeous daughter as Sean's romantic interest.

Cut to the chase: once they arrive on the island and meet up with grandfather Michael Caine, it's all about escaping from a giant lizard, giant birds (while riding bees), and once underwater, where Nemo's submarine awaits, dodging electric eels.

The suspense builds decently enough on land – if they don't get off the island in time, everything will be covered by the ocean. And it's as simple as that – so what else do you need in a live-action cartoon?

For More Reviews: www.cultfilmfreaks.com

fun movie for kids but prepare for a lack of real script writing

Author: ian-1029 from North England
18 February 2012

Nice movie for the kids to enjoy, but god awful plot and script writing - the scriptwriters should be ashamed - anyway a nice cgi jobbie for the kids (and big kids like me) but leaves you thinking how does all that evolve in 140 years................. ?

I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away?

Entertaining family fun

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
17 February 2012

The title of this movie is both clever and confusing: is it textspeak or a sequel? I don't remember Journey 1, do you? It turns out that it is a sequel, but it is a sequel to 2008's Journey To The Center Of The Earth, with Josh Hutcherson repeating his role as Sean Anderson. This time he is teamed up with his new stepfather Dwayne Johnson instead of Uncle Brendan Fraser on a new venture based on one of Jules Verne's novels (he has also had a Mom upgrade, to Kristin Davis). The two of them are off in search of Sean's missing grandfather Alexander Anderson (Michael Caine), the original Verne enthusiast, with the aide of comedy helicopter pilot Gabato (Luis Guzman) and his comely daughter Lailani (Vanessa Hudgens).

This is a family movie with lots of fun fantasy visuals and action sequences. The characters work well enough and are mostly well played, although this must rank as one of Michael Caine's worst ever performances. And Guzman's Gabato is drawn so broadly that, a lot of the time, he irritates rather than amuses.

But Hutcherson and Johnson do well enough as the resentful stepson and the stepfather trying to create a relationship: this is actually a charming and moving heart to a rather slight movie. Hudgens is, as always, cute, although her part requires her to hold back on her trademark smile until late in the day.

This is a lot lighter in tone than Harryhausen's Mysterious Island from the 60s: the CGI effects are all slickly realised but, for me, the creatures don't have quite the same degree of quirky character that their stop-motion predecessors had. Nonetheless, I'm glad that we have both films.

It is probably worth seeing this in 3D - it really suits some of the sequences.

Silly,but a lot of fun. Kids will love it.

Author: valleyjohn from United Kingdom
15 February 2012

Its the School holidays , so it's cinema time and it's time to take one for the kids and watch Journey 2 : The Mysterious island. Obviously i wasn't expecting a great deal from a film starring a semi retired wrestler but do you know what ? i really enjoyed this film.

This is the story of Sean , who is contacted by his adventurer Grandfather who is residing on a mythical island . Along with his step father ( Dwayne Johnson ) they discover a way to get to the Island and at the same time heal any differences they might have between themselves.

Let's get one thing straight , you really do have to put yourself into the shoes of a kid when you watch this film to enjoy it. It's extremely far fetched and anybody who really wanted to , could point out gaping plot holes in the film but why bother?

Dwayne Johnson is great as is Michael Caine and Luis Guzmán and the two youngsters did a pretty good job too. The special affect aren't that special especially when they were using bees to fly.

If you take it for what it is then sit back and go on the same journey then i guarantee you will enjoy it. Obviously watching it 3D or Imax ( or both as we did) will much enhance enjoyment.

Page 11 of 13: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]