IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Goofy Fun

Author: rivertam26 from United States
4 September 2012

I hate to admit this. But I actually enjoyed this movie... I feel ashamed but it's a bit of goofy fun. Far superior to it's overlong, too silly predecessor this fun, energetic fantasy adventure movie keep things moving quickly. After a short but cool setup reintroducing us to the Josh Hutchinson character from the predecessor as he's escaping from some cops after breaking into a satellite station. He soon engages his stepfather played by The Rock and discovers a message from his grandfather about the mysterious island. Moving things along quickly they get there and it's filled wonders from giant lizards, mini elephants and sharks, giant bees they fly on, a gold filled volcano. All visualized in a bright, cheezy sort of CGI that is reminiscent of the 1950s monster, adventure flicks that inspired this one. Sadly, I skipped this in theaters but from what I've seen the 3D must have been pretty amazing. Of course not a lot of the movie makes much sense, but I think it's important to shut your brain off when watching it. it's a very entertaining popcorn flick. There a few laughs, some exciting action set pieces and even a little romance. And as for performances Michael Caine and The Rock leave a better impression than Brendan Frasier left in the first one, Vanessa Hudgens is fine in a supporting role and well Josh Hutchinson is looking pretty good. He's definitely a good actor and his movie star looks are starting to show. So all in all it's more fun than you'd expect ignore the cynics and go in with an open mind. 3.5/5

What in the Hades was THAT

Author: David Werwolf (Primus_Gladius) from Slovenia
20 May 2012

I can not believe, how bad this movie was - - - Script was boring, clichéd, and utterly lazy.

Character development - - - - there was none

Directing - - - the director knows crap about his job

The plot was absolutely predictable, and boring

Acting - - - - The actors are good, but what they had to work with, was utter tripe. Michael Caine - - - one of the best actors in my book - - - Even he was struggling with this movie . . . I guess, even these actors have bills to pay I can't imagine why in the world he decided to do this movie - - - maybe he thought it will be fun.

"Chemistry" between the characters is forced, non existent. There was absolutely no charm in any of them . . .

CGI - - - it is not done properly, the scene at the beginning of the movie, you can see, that it was made with a model of a B206 helicopter, and the angle of a camera, to make it appear as it was real . . . . Today if you can figure out this kind of tricks in the movie, the alarm bells start ringing - - -

I am actually watching the movie now, just after riding the giant bees - - -

The logic behind the island, and it's evolution It is the same as the "holy bible" has - - - - Non existent, explanations are just thrown there, for the sake of it. But come on, they could have thought better logic behind the "science" of the island and evolution.

I understand that in fantasy movies there is no great room for logic, or explanation of certain things, but come on - - - - enough is enough - - - -

All in all - - - avoid this movie - - - I will stop watching it now, cos I can't stand it anymore - - - - it is an utter Tripe - - - - This kind of movies, are the reason I don't pay to see them in the cinema anymore . . . .

Wonderful in 3D!

Author: pac614 from MI
20 October 2012

My husband and I watched this movie tonight on our 3D television and it was AMAZING! The 3-D effects were the best I've seen so far. Even better than Titanic!! I liked the plot in the movie because it reminded me of other "quest" movies that I have enjoyed in the past. Namely, the Indiana Jones movies. Michael Caine and Dwayne Johnson were great The scenery was beautiful and in 3D it was like you were there with them! It is a good family movie and I saw nothing that suggested anything other than a good family entertaining movie.

I noticed some of the people who wrote reviews did not seem to care for it, but I gave it a "10" and was happy to do so!

Kids ONLY!!! Sober parents BEWARE!!! Drop the pizza and walk away slowly!

Author: gokudman from New York
20 May 2012

Josh Hutcherson has to be one of my LEAST favorite main characters PERIOD!!! Watched this with my son who asked me after the movie was over... "Dad, they ran out of people to play in movies?" Yes son, they apparently did. This, coming from a kid who watches The Disney Channel all day, has GOT to confirm this movie sucked just by him being in it. The Rock is one of my favorite "fake" athletes who went the way of the mainstream but he couldn't pull this movie out of the gutter. Plot is disturbingly bad and the "Why did they do that?!?!?" factor was WAAAAY over 10 so I would say PLEASE wait for the ABC premier to avoid spending ANY money of this trash! Special effects were cool to a certain extent but hey, even trash has value. The CGI crew should have been paid more than the actors. ;) Overall, I wish I had 2 more arms so I could give this garbage 4 Thumbs down!!!! Jeeeah!

Slow-mo heavy, falls flat thanks to forced feel-good moments

Author: chrismsawin from United States
9 February 2012

*This does contain some minor spoilers* Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is the sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth; you know that movie with Brendan Fraser, Anita Briem, and director Eric Brevig all of which didn't return for the sequel. Fraser didn't want to return unless Brevig was back in the director's chair, but Brevig had his hands full with Yogi Bear when Warner Bros was ready to go for the sequel. So Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore director Brad Peyton stepped in and we have an entirely new cast other than Josh Hutcherson, which includes the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Michael Caine, Luis Guzmán, and Vanessa Hudgens. The result is a visual effects heavy amalgamation of corny dialogue and forced feel-good moments.

The movie immediately lost me in the opening credits as the score seemed to disrespectfully rip-off the famous theme to Jurassic Park. It doesn't take long for the corny dialogue to slap you in the face either. The phrase, "Here we go," should never be uttered in the face of danger or at all really. From the HDTV line to pretty much everything Gabby (Luis Guzmán) says throughout their endless string of adventures, Journey 2 will have you rolling your eyes and facepalming yourself more often than you can count. Characters seem to repeat words over and over again, as well. Dwayne Johnson is the guiltiest of this as his dialogue is pretty painful at times. Shall we bring up "thundercookie" or the "popping the pecs" scene that was only thrown in there for a cheap 3D effect? Maybe it's because a Looney Tunes short was attached to the movie, but Journey 2 certainly borrowed from classic Looney Tunes shorts on more than one occasion. When they first arrive on the island, Gabby thinks he's been cut in half but it turns out the lower half of his body is just buried beneath the sand. This sequence is awfully reminiscent of a scene in "Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid" and this scene in particular. Gabby also discovers a rock made of pure gold and essentially has almost an identical reaction as Bugs Bunny in "Barbary Coast Bunny." Even the camera placement is similar, so it had to be done on purpose. It honestly felt more like blasphemy than homage though.

I guess the hip thing to do with movies anymore is to make the majority of the cast as intolerable as possible, especially when it comes to family features. Nearly every male in the Anderson family is a snarky, smart aleck, prick; Michael Caine and Josh Hutcherson being the sole offenders. Alexander (Caine) already looks to have raided Indiana Jones' wardrobe and even uses that familiar sounding Jurassic Park-like theme when he first shows up. He spends the entire movie ripping on Hank (Dwayne Johnson). Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens) is the same way though in the way she gives Sean (Hutcherson) the cold shoulder, so maybe the aim was to write everyone like a seventeen year old girl. Meanwhile, Dwayne Johnson tries to cram as much of his The Rock personality into a PG persona as he can and even sings a little number that is actually pretty darn good.

Journey 2 relies on slow-mo to drive all of its biggest moments home and thanks to movies like 300 has made it all the more obvious in the movies that have followed suit. Even though the entire adventure is basically a race against time, it's like the characters always make time to try and be witty or funny or clever. It just rubs you the wrong way. "Quit standing around in the dark trying to amuse yourself and get out of that damn cave before it collapses on your scrawny butt," you'll say to yourself before throwing the nearest toddler at the screen in frustration. If that isn't the case, they manage to cram these family, touchy-feely moments in at the most inopportune time. "I know you're about to wrestle a giant electric eel, but I just want you to know that me being a hard headed douchebag towards you this entire time was my way of saying I love you." There's more than one comment about being killed after they die, as well. "If we die out there, mom is going to kill us." "If we get ripped to shreds, I'm going to kill you." But you'll already be dead, so who cares? And apparently, being in the Navy means you automatically become "MacGyver." If that's the case, send me a brochure.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island wasn't quite as terrible as I expected it to be. A few of the jokes are mildly amusing and some of the special effects sequences are actually pretty entertaining. In the long run though, it still can't pass as a good film. Its lame humor gets on your last nerve, its feel-good moments make you want to gag, you can tell that everything was done in front of a green screen, and the writing is downright terrible the majority of the time ("THE LIQUEFICATION RATE TRIPLED OVERNIGHT!"). Why did Sean know so much about the island to begin with? Did he read the books over and over again throughout his childhood? Did he watch a lot of National Geographic and the Discovery Channel? Imagine taking a few of the halfway entertaining sequences from the original National Treasure and combining them with the absolute worst moments from the Land of the Lost film starring Will Ferrell and you have a pretty good idea of what you're in for. In the next movie, I only hope that Brendan Fraser returns and challenges The Rock to a wrestling match...IN SPACE!

worst movie I have ever seen

Author: Michael Jesse Nash from Ontario
13 March 2012

Oh, where do I start. Firstly, the plot progresses Wayyy to fast in the beginning. The main character claims to be a."verneian" has obviously never read a book write by Verne. Anyone who has read "the mysterious island" can tell that the kid gets almost all his information wrong. They do a good job of explaining why there was a island there after it had sunk in the end on the novel, but why did they have to include atlantas? if it exists The mythical city would be located in the Atlantic ocean and not the south pacific. I rated it 1 out of 10 because I laughed at one or two of the jokes that were exchanged between the rock and Michael Caine. They could have easily, easily made the movie follow the book more closely, Captain Nemo sailed the world until all of his.crew had died so how did his dead crew bury him? This is a terrible movie. I fell asleep for 15 minutes in the middle of it. The jokes were not funny, the acting was meh and the CGI was terrible. This movie might be good to waste a night, when it comes out on netflix...

terrible Terrible TERRIBLE

Author: Matt Nikolai from United States
4 March 2012

The movie was bad and horrible. It has too much suspense to be a family movie, and it has too little suspense to be an action movie. The plot makes NO sense whatsoever. For example In the beginning (SPOILER ALERT) The grandfather randomly sends out a note electronically across the world to land in a random place just so his son could find it. What...the...heck?!?!??!?! What makes him so sure his son would receive it? THE CGI IS TERRIBLE, Oh..My...Goodness......It looked so fake, it King Kong (Black and White) was better in fake things than this! The actors are terrible, except for the Rock. I also don't get (WARNING: MAJOR SPOILER) How an island that's been around for hundreds and hundreds of years sink in 3 days. There is also subliminal Satanic messages and pictures hidden in the movie. I do not advise you to see it, so good luck! Jeez!

A great tool for teachers

Author: sborrink from Seoul, South Korea
24 February 2015

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is a great movie for families. Kids and adults alike will enjoy the action packed film while learning about some classical literature. The sequel to the 2008 movie Journey to the Center of the Earth, Journey 2 follows Sean Anderson on another adventure to find out if another one of Jules Verne's novels is based on fact, and not science fiction. We learn early on that there are people who believe that Jules Verne did in fact write stories from experience. These people are referred to as Vernians. When the movie starts, Sean has received a coded message from someone on a radio and he is determined to solve the code. We meet Sean's step-father, Hank, who, upon seeing the coded message, helps Sean to break the code. After a quick search through the attic, and two more classic novels, Hank and Sean discover what can only be the map of the Mysterious Island. Sean and Hank take off to Palau to find out if the island is in fact real, or if the message was just a hoax. In Palau they meet Gabato, a helicopter pilot and his daughter, Kailani.

Once in the air, the four travelers discover that there is something wrong with the helicopter and they land on the island, but can this barren place really be the Mysterious Island that Jules Verne wrote about? Butterflies the size of cars and elephants the size of puppies are just a couple of the exciting things that await the travelers on their adventure.

This movie is a great way to get kids to think about classic novels in a new light. Jules Verne is known world-wide as one of the best science fiction writers of the 17th century, but what few people know is that his books were actually meant for children. This movie can be used in conjunction with the book to give children a glimpse into the world of the Mysterious Island. It also encourages children to use their imaginations and see things in a different light.

Author: (matty_mushroom1983) from Australia
3 May 2014

I gave it one point as I expected it to be bad and it delivered, so I was satisfied there. Cliché, corny, carp. A carp is a fish (in case any kids are reading) and it doesn't taste great. Luis Guzman provides the ethnic idiocy, the Rock provides the unneeded Braun to compensate for the much needed brains (a priority miraculously confused), And the young girl and young boy kiss. I didn't mark that as a spoiler because you'll know well before it happens that it eventually will.

Oh oh, the ethnic character steering the underwater craft does the cliché "welcome aboard the something-or-other under water cgi-mobile" that a Robin Williams character would usually do in a Disney animation. Have fun

Harmless, brainless entertainment my kids liked

Author: RolloTomasi from The left coast (of Michigan)
9 February 2014

Is saying my 6-year old daughters raved about this movie after seeing it a good thing? They thought it was scary at times but in a fun way. "Sometimes scary is fun" to quote the oldest. It's often silly but not stupid. It doesn't take itself seriously at all (like say, the last Dwayne Johnson movie I saw did, Fast and Furious 6). This movie aims low and ends up hitting its mark (FF6 on the other hand aims somewhat high and misses badly).

I recommend seeing 20000 Leagues Under the Sea (the excellent 1954 near-musical Kirk Douglas version) before seeing this. We saw it last year before I had any intention of seeing "Journey 2" but after "Journey 2" was released. That's all I'll say about that because to say more might be considered a spoiler.

So that's my review. It's better than the last Fast and Furious movie and 6-year-olds love it. Take from that what you will.

Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]