IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

What in the Hades was THAT

Author: David Werwolf (Primus_Gladius) from Slovenia
20 May 2012

I can not believe, how bad this movie was - - - Script was boring, clichéd, and utterly lazy.

Character development - - - - there was none

Directing - - - the director knows crap about his job

The plot was absolutely predictable, and boring

Acting - - - - The actors are good, but what they had to work with, was utter tripe. Michael Caine - - - one of the best actors in my book - - - Even he was struggling with this movie . . . I guess, even these actors have bills to pay I can't imagine why in the world he decided to do this movie - - - maybe he thought it will be fun.

"Chemistry" between the characters is forced, non existent. There was absolutely no charm in any of them . . .

CGI - - - it is not done properly, the scene at the beginning of the movie, you can see, that it was made with a model of a B206 helicopter, and the angle of a camera, to make it appear as it was real . . . . Today if you can figure out this kind of tricks in the movie, the alarm bells start ringing - - -

I am actually watching the movie now, just after riding the giant bees - - -

The logic behind the island, and it's evolution It is the same as the "holy bible" has - - - - Non existent, explanations are just thrown there, for the sake of it. But come on, they could have thought better logic behind the "science" of the island and evolution.

I understand that in fantasy movies there is no great room for logic, or explanation of certain things, but come on - - - - enough is enough - - - -

All in all - - - avoid this movie - - - I will stop watching it now, cos I can't stand it anymore - - - - it is an utter Tripe - - - - This kind of movies, are the reason I don't pay to see them in the cinema anymore . . . .

Goofy Fun

Author: rivertam26 from United States
4 September 2012

I hate to admit this. But I actually enjoyed this movie... I feel ashamed but it's a bit of goofy fun. Far superior to it's overlong, too silly predecessor this fun, energetic fantasy adventure movie keep things moving quickly. After a short but cool setup reintroducing us to the Josh Hutchinson character from the predecessor as he's escaping from some cops after breaking into a satellite station. He soon engages his stepfather played by The Rock and discovers a message from his grandfather about the mysterious island. Moving things along quickly they get there and it's filled wonders from giant lizards, mini elephants and sharks, giant bees they fly on, a gold filled volcano. All visualized in a bright, cheezy sort of CGI that is reminiscent of the 1950s monster, adventure flicks that inspired this one. Sadly, I skipped this in theaters but from what I've seen the 3D must have been pretty amazing. Of course not a lot of the movie makes much sense, but I think it's important to shut your brain off when watching it. it's a very entertaining popcorn flick. There a few laughs, some exciting action set pieces and even a little romance. And as for performances Michael Caine and The Rock leave a better impression than Brendan Frasier left in the first one, Vanessa Hudgens is fine in a supporting role and well Josh Hutchinson is looking pretty good. He's definitely a good actor and his movie star looks are starting to show. So all in all it's more fun than you'd expect ignore the cynics and go in with an open mind. 3.5/5

Kids ONLY!!! Sober parents BEWARE!!! Drop the pizza and walk away slowly!

Author: gokudman from New York
20 May 2012

Josh Hutcherson has to be one of my LEAST favorite main characters PERIOD!!! Watched this with my son who asked me after the movie was over... "Dad, they ran out of people to play in movies?" Yes son, they apparently did. This, coming from a kid who watches The Disney Channel all day, has GOT to confirm this movie sucked just by him being in it. The Rock is one of my favorite "fake" athletes who went the way of the mainstream but he couldn't pull this movie out of the gutter. Plot is disturbingly bad and the "Why did they do that?!?!?" factor was WAAAAY over 10 so I would say PLEASE wait for the ABC premier to avoid spending ANY money of this trash! Special effects were cool to a certain extent but hey, even trash has value. The CGI crew should have been paid more than the actors. ;) Overall, I wish I had 2 more arms so I could give this garbage 4 Thumbs down!!!! Jeeeah!

worst movie I have ever seen

Author: Michael Jesse Nash from Ontario
13 March 2012

Oh, where do I start. Firstly, the plot progresses Wayyy to fast in the beginning. The main character claims to be a."verneian" has obviously never read a book write by Verne. Anyone who has read "the mysterious island" can tell that the kid gets almost all his information wrong. They do a good job of explaining why there was a island there after it had sunk in the end on the novel, but why did they have to include atlantas? if it exists The mythical city would be located in the Atlantic ocean and not the south pacific. I rated it 1 out of 10 because I laughed at one or two of the jokes that were exchanged between the rock and Michael Caine. They could have easily, easily made the movie follow the book more closely, Captain Nemo sailed the world until all of his.crew had died so how did his dead crew bury him? This is a terrible movie. I fell asleep for 15 minutes in the middle of it. The jokes were not funny, the acting was meh and the CGI was terrible. This movie might be good to waste a night, when it comes out on netflix...

terrible Terrible TERRIBLE

Author: Matt Nikolai from United States
4 March 2012

The movie was bad and horrible. It has too much suspense to be a family movie, and it has too little suspense to be an action movie. The plot makes NO sense whatsoever. For example In the beginning (SPOILER ALERT) The grandfather randomly sends out a note electronically across the world to land in a random place just so his son could find it. What...the...heck?!?!??!?! What makes him so sure his son would receive it? THE CGI IS TERRIBLE, Oh..My...Goodness......It looked so fake, it King Kong (Black and White) was better in fake things than this! The actors are terrible, except for the Rock. I also don't get (WARNING: MAJOR SPOILER) How an island that's been around for hundreds and hundreds of years sink in 3 days. There is also subliminal Satanic messages and pictures hidden in the movie. I do not advise you to see it, so good luck! Jeez!

Siiiiigh

Author: (matty_mushroom1983) from Australia
3 May 2014

I gave it one point as I expected it to be bad and it delivered, so I was satisfied there. Cliché, corny, carp. A carp is a fish (in case any kids are reading) and it doesn't taste great. Luis Guzman provides the ethnic idiocy, the Rock provides the unneeded Braun to compensate for the much needed brains (a priority miraculously confused), And the young girl and young boy kiss. I didn't mark that as a spoiler because you'll know well before it happens that it eventually will.

Oh oh, the ethnic character steering the underwater craft does the cliché "welcome aboard the something-or-other under water cgi-mobile" that a Robin Williams character would usually do in a Disney animation. Have fun

Disappointing in comparison to the trailer

Author: Chloe Gardner
3 September 2013

I bought Journey 2: The mysterious island on DVD after seeing the trailer which looked great. Unfortunately the film was so badly written and poorly casted that it killed off the good story line.

The beginning of the film moved so quickly with Sean and Hank finding answer after answer until the whole story was pieced together within a matter of minutes.

By the time you get to the next island where they depart form you are probably only 10 minutes into the film. You are introduced to the most annoying character: Gabato played by Luis Guzman and his daughter Kailani played by Vanessa Hudgens who makes a cringe worthy slow motion entrance wearing just a tight vest top and very short shorts.

They soon crash land on the island without a scratch on them and take on a giant lizard with objects that seem too conveniently placed. This brings me to my major hate about this film that its just not continuous. When they arrive Sean says that all large things become small and small things become big, therefore the lizard wouldn't be half as big as it was and the same applies to other creatures that come into play later. I felt like this logic that was introduced is only picked up and used when it is necessary for the plot.

Another thing that probably any adult watching would have picked up on is that all the characters - Hank and Sean in particular - always seem to know the answers. For example Hank once says "the liquefaction rate tripled over night" and Sean later says "tectonic plates are starting to pull apart beneath the island". Its not like they even say it after investigating, Hank simply tastes some of the water and knows the island with be under water within hours.

The cast itself couldn't have even made the flawed script more acceptable. I think you could just about cope with Vanessa Hudgens but Luis Guzman couldn't have acted more annoyingly. I'm not sure whether what he says half the time was meant to be a joke or just stupidity. Dwayne Johnson was another bad casting choice. Don't get me wrong i love his other action packed films but i don't think he suited this role at all - His peck popping and playing the ukulele confirmed that.

The film had so much potential and I'd be lying if i said that i didn't at least enjoy the story. However the bad cast and flawed script ruined any last hopes of success for this film.

The perfect summer movie!! For dumbasses.

Author: Rich Wright
26 March 2013

I should have realised that this was a sequel to the execrable Journey To The Centre Of The Earth. I could have figured out what was to come, seeing The Rock on the cover, and a washed-up Michael Caine after an easy pay day. I would have saved myself 82 minutes to do something more constructive, like bang my head against a brick wall. But I didn't, so I deserved everything I got.

This is, to put it bluntly, a Moronic film for Morons. Everyone in it is a moron. The director and writer are morons. Everyone who likes it, is a... you guessed it.Its okay... and fans of it wouldn't be insulted, because they won't know what goes next in the sentence. This is cynical film-making at its worst... Afraid to put anything resembling intelligence in it lest the brainless hordes out there get confused, it dishes up sparse, lukewarm thrills while annoying us with five pathetic, stock characters right from the back of the sofa.

Meet The Rock (Otherwise known as Dwayne Johnson) a big man with a heart of gold. He's just married into a family and his new stepson (played by Josh Hutcherson) is a complete brat who breaks into buildings at night and drives his motorcycle into swimming pools. A spot in juvie should help this young rapscallion out... but NO... Stepdad decides to gallivant off with his adopted hellspawn to a distant island on a treasure map Hutcherson has just discovered, to 'prove it doesn't exist'. As you do.

Along the way, they pick up the impossibly breasted Vanessa Hudgens (In case we don't get the point, she flaunts her assets in every scene) and the alleged Comic Relief Luis Guzman who acts like a retard at every given moment, while using a funny voice. If you liked Jar Jar Binks, this dude will be right up your alley. They find the Mysterious Island, and on it is no other than Mr Michael Caine, who is Josh's grandfather. As a nutty professor type fella, he phones in his performance, and you can see the dollar signs in his eyes.

Everything about this production reeks of lack of effort, from the stilted dialogue, to the boring plot. Worst still though, is the attempts at drama... the bonding scenes between The Rock, Caine and Hutchinson are embarrassing to say the least, and the chemistry between Hudgens and Hutchinson is so non-existent you're reminded of a shotgun wedding. As for the aforementioned Guzman... Well, he tries. He's VERY trying. Something big needs to eat that guy already. Alas, nothing does.

In fact, there is a shocking lack of thrills in this film. The poster shows the cast running away from a giant lizard over her eggs, and that honestly is the high point. The only other incidents that come to mind are a chase involving mounted bees being attacked by a massive bird, and an encounter with an electric eel underwater. Thatr's it. The rest of the time we have to tolerate the tiresome shenanigans of Dwayne and co as they snooze us into submission with their antics.

The worst of which involves the unforgettable moment The Rock moves his nipple pecs in time with each other, then he gets a lucky volunteer to chuck berries at his chest, whereon the fruit gets deflected here, there and everywhere. He tells his son this demented activity is a 'chick magnet'. Well, I've got a 'chick repellent'. Take your love out to see this as your first date movie, and see how long you last. I predict next week, she'll be washing her hair when you call her. Every single day.

Not A Journey You Should Go On

Author: Sarah Hook from Wisconsin
31 October 2012

The previews for Journey 2: The Mysterious Island made it look better than it actually was. The movie was only slightly better than I was expecting. The premise for Journey 2 was good. I enjoyed the idea, but the movie was taken to a really cheesy level.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Josh Hutcherson were truly the best part of this flick. They had good chemistry, and their characters and acting were decent. Yes, they brought some cheese, but very little in comparison to other characters. Vanessa Hudgens was OK. She really didn't bring much to the table neither through the character or her acting. Luis Guzman's character was AWFUL. He apparently was suppose to be the comic relief, but there was nothing funny about him or his jokes. His character actually brought the movie down in terms of its likability.

I also found this movie to be somewhat flawed in its creation. For instance, the jelly fish should have been large, but instead were regular size. I realize this is a kids & family movie and wasn't created for extreme accuracy, or Oscar wins. I, however, still enjoy consistency in my movies.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island wasn't all that original, and EXTREMELY predictable. I pretty much knew everything that was going to happen before it happened. Some aspects of this movie felt like they were straight out of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids".

All-in-all, this movie was just alright. For a kid, it might have been much more enjoyable. For an adult, it was just too flawed, corny, and cheesy to amount to much.

Utterly pointless

Author: theoriginalchrz from Whiteley, England
25 August 2012

This is one of the dullest and most linear films I've watched in a long time.

There is zero depth to the plot with any 'puzzles' being solved immediately and with ease. What little action does take place is simply a poor version of set pieces that have been done better elsewhere (e.g. Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Indiana Jones, Return of The Jedi, etc).

Acting is OK - Michael Caine probably did it in his sleep.

Effects have no realism to them with the CGI being obvious.

Time would be far better spent reading the books that this film references.

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]