IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Goofy Fun

Author: rivertam26 from United States
4 September 2012

I hate to admit this. But I actually enjoyed this movie... I feel ashamed but it's a bit of goofy fun. Far superior to it's overlong, too silly predecessor this fun, energetic fantasy adventure movie keep things moving quickly. After a short but cool setup reintroducing us to the Josh Hutchinson character from the predecessor as he's escaping from some cops after breaking into a satellite station. He soon engages his stepfather played by The Rock and discovers a message from his grandfather about the mysterious island. Moving things along quickly they get there and it's filled wonders from giant lizards, mini elephants and sharks, giant bees they fly on, a gold filled volcano. All visualized in a bright, cheezy sort of CGI that is reminiscent of the 1950s monster, adventure flicks that inspired this one. Sadly, I skipped this in theaters but from what I've seen the 3D must have been pretty amazing. Of course not a lot of the movie makes much sense, but I think it's important to shut your brain off when watching it. it's a very entertaining popcorn flick. There a few laughs, some exciting action set pieces and even a little romance. And as for performances Michael Caine and The Rock leave a better impression than Brendan Frasier left in the first one, Vanessa Hudgens is fine in a supporting role and well Josh Hutchinson is looking pretty good. He's definitely a good actor and his movie star looks are starting to show. So all in all it's more fun than you'd expect ignore the cynics and go in with an open mind. 3.5/5

Not even attempting to be good

Author: siderite from Romania
8 January 2013

Somewhere in Hollywood there are people who think children are morons and when they set up to make a kid movie, they do it starting with this premise. Morons they may be, but not in the sense their brains don't work well, but because they don't have enough experience. As such, this kind of films appear to me made for retarded (in the real sense of the word) people.

As a sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth from 2008, it is not that bad. The only character remaining, though, is Josh Hutcherson's, so I was at first confused if this is the sequel to that film or to Race to Witch Mountain, which stared Dwayne Johnson and some kids. Also, all the characters are male but for a teen that has no real role in the film. So I was really missing Anita Briem.

The effects were not bad, rather average. The plot itself, taken from afar and with the grain of salt that one has to take with a movie made for children, had potential. I also liked how the characters completed one another, instead of the lone hero knowing and doing everything. However the script to this plot was so incredibly bad that I could not like it, no matter how much I tried.

Bottom line: a franchise dedicated to the sense of wonder and discovery in Jules Verne's books should make more of an effort for actual education. Dropping occasional (and conflicting) science facts that don't even apply to the situation is not enough. Also, having silly to the point of idiotic characters doesn't really inspire kids, either. I grew up with the books of Jules Verne. This entire series has nothing to do with them.

worst movie I have ever seen

Author: Michael Jesse Nash from Ontario
13 March 2012

Oh, where do I start. Firstly, the plot progresses Wayyy to fast in the beginning. The main character claims to be a."verneian" has obviously never read a book write by Verne. Anyone who has read "the mysterious island" can tell that the kid gets almost all his information wrong. They do a good job of explaining why there was a island there after it had sunk in the end on the novel, but why did they have to include atlantas? if it exists The mythical city would be located in the Atlantic ocean and not the south pacific. I rated it 1 out of 10 because I laughed at one or two of the jokes that were exchanged between the rock and Michael Caine. They could have easily, easily made the movie follow the book more closely, Captain Nemo sailed the world until all of his.crew had died so how did his dead crew bury him? This is a terrible movie. I fell asleep for 15 minutes in the middle of it. The jokes were not funny, the acting was meh and the CGI was terrible. This movie might be good to waste a night, when it comes out on netflix...

Kids ONLY!!! Sober parents BEWARE!!! Drop the pizza and walk away slowly!

Author: gokudman from New York
20 May 2012

Josh Hutcherson has to be one of my LEAST favorite main characters PERIOD!!! Watched this with my son who asked me after the movie was over... "Dad, they ran out of people to play in movies?" Yes son, they apparently did. This, coming from a kid who watches The Disney Channel all day, has GOT to confirm this movie sucked just by him being in it. The Rock is one of my favorite "fake" athletes who went the way of the mainstream but he couldn't pull this movie out of the gutter. Plot is disturbingly bad and the "Why did they do that?!?!?" factor was WAAAAY over 10 so I would say PLEASE wait for the ABC premier to avoid spending ANY money of this trash! Special effects were cool to a certain extent but hey, even trash has value. The CGI crew should have been paid more than the actors. ;) Overall, I wish I had 2 more arms so I could give this garbage 4 Thumbs down!!!! Jeeeah!

Bad, bad, bad

Author: absro77 from Romania
25 August 2012

I usually don't review movies, but I saw this one yesterday and I just wanted to share my thoughts here, maybe I'll save some poor soul from destroying his evening by watching this.

As a child, I was a huge Jules Verne fan (I read at least 50 books; I read The Mysterious Island at least 15 times), so when I saw the poster and the IMDb summary I decided I MUST see this movie... boy, what a disappointment!

The scenario is soooo hollow and unconvincing, I'm 99% sure it was the result of a brainstorming between a 5-years-old and an intellectually challenged 8-years-old: they mix things up, they jump from one subject to another without any apparent connection, the dialogues are unconvincing, etc. Hell, even my 6-years-old nephew has more coherent ideas!

About the acting, OMG! I never thought The Rock is a great actor, but I saw him in a few movies and he was more than OK; in this movie he's just mediocre and insipid. And Michael Caine was a HUGE disappointment: how could a 2 times Oscar winner and 4 times Oscar nominee get so low?!

So, my final advice: avoid this movie at all costs!

Just really, really bad...

Author: jantoniou from California
21 July 2012

While the first "Journey..." movie with Hutcherson and Brandon Fraser had a very slight whiff of entertainment value and was even vaguely believable, this second installment, this time with Hutcherson and with "The Rock" subbing for Fraser, this time as a concerned step-father.

Hutcherson is continuing on his path as a young "Verneian" - i.e., someone who subscribes to Jules Verne's novels as though they were factual documents describing real places and experiences - and within 5 minutes manages to convince his step-father to fly him far away to the middle of the South Pacific to an island - sorry, a "mysterious island" - that is not known to actually exist.

Within the next 5 minutes they manage to convince a helicopter pilot (a pretty silly Luis Guzman) to do something that no pilot would ever do - i.e., fly into the middle of a thunderstorm - and then, of course, run across the "mysterious island."

The subsequent plot lines are basically superfluous. The story is a slap-dash bit of feeble CGI patchwork construction that almost never engages your attention. In fact, if you watch the credits you'll see no less than 10 different "visual effects" companies were contracted to make this movie. Lots of ridiculous and unbelievable monsters and insects and spiders. The pilot's young daughter - Vanessa Hudgens, who is there primarily to relieve the otherwise stupefying plot by wearing a sweat-soaked wife beater heaving with her cleavage - exists as the love interest for Hutcherson.

"Journey 2" basically feels like eating a bunch of Halloween candy - a quick rush here and there but at the end very little fulfillment. Skip it.

terrible Terrible TERRIBLE

Author: Matt Nikolai from United States
4 March 2012

The movie was bad and horrible. It has too much suspense to be a family movie, and it has too little suspense to be an action movie. The plot makes NO sense whatsoever. For example In the beginning (SPOILER ALERT) The grandfather randomly sends out a note electronically across the world to land in a random place just so his son could find it. What...the...heck?!?!??!?! What makes him so sure his son would receive it? THE CGI IS TERRIBLE, Oh..My...Goodness......It looked so fake, it King Kong (Black and White) was better in fake things than this! The actors are terrible, except for the Rock. I also don't get (WARNING: MAJOR SPOILER) How an island that's been around for hundreds and hundreds of years sink in 3 days. There is also subliminal Satanic messages and pictures hidden in the movie. I do not advise you to see it, so good luck! Jeez!

Movies Don't Get Much Worse.

Author: Richard Reilly (FFman@comcast.net) from Colorado
16 February 2012

We have our first contender for "Worst Movie of the Year." I doubt it will get the title, but it'll be close. Journey 2 lacks every element of film-making. The acting is dreadful. The storyline is flat and linear. The special effects are extremely bad. Everything about this movie is forced. There are times where the actors look just as lost and staged as the script they are trying to bring to life.

The movie starts off with Josh Hutcherson running from the police. The unlikely chase scene sets the stage for the entire movie. Every character is stuffed into a stereotypical roll. Relationships between the characters are undeveloped and horribly forced. Character development is stated and never shown. By the end of the movie, I was hoping for the demise of each character.

I need to spend time on two rants. The first belongs to Luis Guzman. What the Hell? He obviously was playing a down-on-his luck dumber-than- most role. Guzman fails on all levels. Once you get halfway through the movie, you'll start to wonder if he's supposed to be dumb or if he actually suffers from mental retardation. This isn't acting. It's laziness. Part of me thinks that Guzman was forced into this role because of a contract and decided to make it as horrible as possible.

Rant number two belongs to Vanessa Hudgens and Director Brad Peyton. When you portray a young girl in a movie directed at preteens, it is best to avoid being sexist. Having the only girl in the movie parade around in a tight, extremely low cut shirt that reveals her midriff is not okay for a young audience. Add in short-shorts, the fact that she's drenching in sweat half the movie, and several close-ups of inappropriate angels (including one camel toe angle) is disgusting. Is this movie supposed to entertain kids or help train little girls on how to be sluts? Brad Peyton should not be doing children's movies if this is going to be what he produces. As for the young actress who is trying to rebuild he reputation after having naked pictures leaked all across the internet: What the Hell were you thinking?

This is no reason to see this movie. There are no redeeming characteristics that hold this movie up. From the chest pop to The Rock's singing scene, I couldn't help but squirm. This movie is directed towards the younger crowd, I know. But that doesn't mean you have to dumb down the movie. Didn't Shrek teach us that a children's film could also be enjoyable for adults? This movie needs to burn in the shadowy corners of the Underworld. Oh, and the promise of another sequel makes me contemplate suicide.

reillyreviews.tumblr.com

Siiiiigh

Author: (matty_mushroom1983) from Australia
3 May 2014

I gave it one point as I expected it to be bad and it delivered, so I was satisfied there. Cliché, corny, carp. A carp is a fish (in case any kids are reading) and it doesn't taste great. Luis Guzman provides the ethnic idiocy, the Rock provides the unneeded Braun to compensate for the much needed brains (a priority miraculously confused), And the young girl and young boy kiss. I didn't mark that as a spoiler because you'll know well before it happens that it eventually will.

Oh oh, the ethnic character steering the underwater craft does the cliché "welcome aboard the something-or-other under water cgi-mobile" that a Robin Williams character would usually do in a Disney animation. Have fun

Disappointing in comparison to the trailer

Author: Chloe Gardner
3 September 2013

I bought Journey 2: The mysterious island on DVD after seeing the trailer which looked great. Unfortunately the film was so badly written and poorly casted that it killed off the good story line.

The beginning of the film moved so quickly with Sean and Hank finding answer after answer until the whole story was pieced together within a matter of minutes.

By the time you get to the next island where they depart form you are probably only 10 minutes into the film. You are introduced to the most annoying character: Gabato played by Luis Guzman and his daughter Kailani played by Vanessa Hudgens who makes a cringe worthy slow motion entrance wearing just a tight vest top and very short shorts.

They soon crash land on the island without a scratch on them and take on a giant lizard with objects that seem too conveniently placed. This brings me to my major hate about this film that its just not continuous. When they arrive Sean says that all large things become small and small things become big, therefore the lizard wouldn't be half as big as it was and the same applies to other creatures that come into play later. I felt like this logic that was introduced is only picked up and used when it is necessary for the plot.

Another thing that probably any adult watching would have picked up on is that all the characters - Hank and Sean in particular - always seem to know the answers. For example Hank once says "the liquefaction rate tripled over night" and Sean later says "tectonic plates are starting to pull apart beneath the island". Its not like they even say it after investigating, Hank simply tastes some of the water and knows the island with be under water within hours.

The cast itself couldn't have even made the flawed script more acceptable. I think you could just about cope with Vanessa Hudgens but Luis Guzman couldn't have acted more annoyingly. I'm not sure whether what he says half the time was meant to be a joke or just stupidity. Dwayne Johnson was another bad casting choice. Don't get me wrong i love his other action packed films but i don't think he suited this role at all - His peck popping and playing the ukulele confirmed that.

The film had so much potential and I'd be lying if i said that i didn't at least enjoy the story. However the bad cast and flawed script ruined any last hopes of success for this film.

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]