IMDb > Taken 2 (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 43:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This is one of the worst movies of 2012

Author: deyannyc from United States
6 October 2012

This movie is utterly awful unless you are ready for a bad comedy. There are tons of flows. Albania doesn't border Turkey. Istanbul is a magnificent city. In the movie it is portrayed as a third world country slam hole. Police in Istanbul have new cars. The girl doesn't have a driver license in the US where everyone drives an automatic. Yet in the movie she hops in a stick stick shift cab and shows some amazing skills...So lame... Shots are fired in a hotel, grenades are detonated in a middle of a cosmopolitan city ...and there's no Police... The main character is taken on a ride for a few minutes and yet he appears to be almost next to the hotel. Albanians converse in English?!

Unfortunately Taken!

Author: balikayak from Turkey
8 October 2012

I was unfortunately taken to see the movie, hoping the directors (art director, etc) would have done a better job since Midnight Express. The scenario is full of awkward, hard to be believe events like Kim bombing the whole covered bazaar area which is like one of the most crowded parts of the city. While she is doing that, the dad is kept by the kidnappers who were stupid enough to leave him alone for hours and let him speak on the phone. He escapes from the place just like that, and then is followed by Turkish police cars from 1970s. Kim who was not able to drive automatic car in US, right away makes all these car moves driving a stick Taxi in the most narrowed streets. I also have to mention that all the women appeared in the movie were dressed in black veils- I don't know why, someone should explain that, also Turkey does not have a border with Albenia. The list goes on, but I don't think its worth to spend money or time.

Everyone in theater was laughing - the movie was that miserable.

Author: maximian from United States
6 October 2012

The movie was very stupid and naive. Producers did not bother to make anything meaningful assuming that people will go watch it anyway. What a disappointment. Nothing has remained from the realistic first part. This one is more like a naive boring drama with infrequent heroic acts of Liam Neeson. In fact, most of the time he looks like a pompous clown trying to be serious while playing a stupid script. As in a regular cheap movie, bad guys are not really bad and are very respectful to the main characters, always giving them plenty of time to talk and to run away. What irritates even more is ridiculously large amount of product placement. Save your time and money, don't watch this movie in theaters.

Such a shame

Author: whitesocks_1 from Australia
3 October 2012

I am a big fan of the first taken movie, it not only had professional cinematography but great action, suspense and originality. Now this sequel i am ashamed to say was a money grab by the producers. Now Luc Besson and Robert wrote the original script without being pressured by their superiors to be limited to a marketable plot, unfortunately thats what has happened to Taken 2.

The plot follows Liam Neeson after the events of the original and well its the pretty much an identical situation.

The climax however is the main issue , it's rushed. It just happens and I was left wondering why it just ended so fast.

I cannot say this movie was terrible because it wasn't, it was just a movie that could not even close live up to its predecessor due to lack of depth and originality.

Don't waste your money at the cinemas Wait till its on DVD

Disappointing

Author: maurizio-mallia from United Kingdom
7 October 2012

What an utter disappointment. Like many fans of the original Taken, I was looking forward to a sequel to see if it could match or in any way surpass the original. I am afraid that as as sequel I am left perplexed at the lack of any tension, real action and pace in the film. The villains were not as nasty as they should be- after all they were seeking revenge for the slaughter of friends and family and all appeared not all intimidating. There was no sharp dialogue and some scenes bordered on the risible especially when Liam Neeson was trying to give directions to his daughter on his whereabouts. The finale was rushed and overall the film lacked any bite or interest. Dull, unimaginative-only Liam Neeson kept what glimmer of hopes alive by his solid acting. However, a real shame the film could not even match or equal the original. Do not waste your time- see the original Taken and leave this sequel alone.

Complete and utter failure

Author: Bilge E. from United Kingdom
9 October 2012

This film is just a poor attempt to combine all sorts of action movie clichés brought together with a hope that it will attract action movie fans to the film. I am afraid that was a false hope as I think this film was an utter failure. Its performance cannot even be compared with the first Taken film- which I loved. Liam Neeson is marvellous as always but the scenario is awful. There are many ridiculous points throughout the film:

1) How does the girl manage to use three grenades in Istanbul without getting caught by Turkish forces?

2) Are we expected to believe all Turkish police cars are from 1970's and 80's?

3) It is not even a whole day spent in the city and I think we heard more than five hundred calls for prayer...

4) Liam Neeson fights and shoots almost 10-15 guys and I cannot remember him receiving one fist on the chin. Are all bad guys idiots that they let Liam Neeson on his own for hours to let him make phone calls and arrange his escape.

5) Again the bad guys who are shown to be burning with the desire for revenge are not actually that bad as they treat the guy and his family pretty well.

6) The bad guys fire almost thousands of bullets and miss every single shot whereas our ex agent seems to be hitting the target every single time.

7) We see an exceptional (impossible!) driving performance of the girl in narrow and unfamiliar streets of Istanbul where she stepped her foot for the first time in less than 24 hours. Maybe we are expected to believe she inherited (!) those natural skills from her bionic father the day she was born.

8) We are expected to believe that one can consider barging into an embassy courtyard driving through the security and be allowed to walk free by just one call to a guy in the golf field. Seriously???

9) Some of the fighting scenes are too fast, it is impossible to understand what's going on. You just have to sit patiently for two minutes to see who collapses and who is still on his foot to understand who was a better fighter.

10) I thought counting in the car for the turns and noises for boat, music instrument and something else that I do not remember now was so cheesy. The boat and the music guy being in the same place forever and ever is just a laugh. .....

I think I can continue with the list and add 25-50 more ridiculous items. In short I am trying to tell is that this film is not worth going to the cinema and wasting time and money on that. If you had liked the first film and expecting this one to be similar, you will be very disappointed. The story is so poor that I think it is an insult to the audience's intelligence.

Taken 2: Don't go

Author: Liam 'Spike' Noble
17 October 2012

So, its a stinker!

If you came to see Liam Neeson kicking ass, my advice is turn back now and save your money. This is entirely due to the inability to actually see what the heck's going on in all of the films actions sequences and stunt co ordinations. The film looks like it was filmed on the site of a permanent earthquake with a camera dangling by a rope. If you have epilepsy this might be one to avoid considering how quick its been edited. Its almost like director Olivier Megaton said "yeah we're going for the subliminal message type look, edit it like that" And you want anything remotely reminiscent of the first films action? well forget about it because it hasn't been included.

What you will be treated to however is a cheap, watered down child friendly, completely unrealistic, trashy, knock off 'Rom Com with bullets' B reel, sold purely on the title of "Taken" alone.

Huge plot holes dominate the script from start to finish, in its purest form its basically an awful rehash of the first film but 1000 times worse, placing Maggie Grace (Bryan Mills daughter) as the heroine trying to rescue her parents from a load of bungling Albanians (yes they are literally that bad, think of Manuel from Faulty Towers and you have your starting point) . Liam Neeson does his best with what he's got, but there's only so much you can do with a turd script like this. Unfortunately its so laughable that Neesons character starts to look like a paranoid delusional psychopath that sees kidnappers everywhere. They must have forgotten to include the scene where Neeson gains his super power to spot evil doers just by looking at them, but hey that's what happens so get over it!

Not only that but did anybody even look at a map before this script was written? Had anybody even been to Turkey or Albania? Clearly its the best location in the world to magically learn how to drive a car, because that's what Maggie Grace does! However there's also a dire lack a qualified torturers because no one can do it, or interrogate or generally manage to do anything right! Alternatively, if you feel like throwing some hand grenades off rooftops without anybody batting an eyelid then this might just be the place for you. Don't worry about the police, they'll be to busy driving around in there 1970s bangers they hauled right off the scrap heap, where this movie also came from.

Unfortunately the worst news is that Taken 3 already seems to be on the horizon. Many of you will be asking 'how...why....who....???' but unfortunately money speaks louder than taste. I imagine the plot will be an all black screen and Liam Neesons voice over "Your money has been taken". The horror that it was a 12a should have sent alarm bells ringing before I even bought the ticket, alas my money and respect for the film industry is now gone forever. What's even more painful is the fact that Luc Besson is partly responsible for this mess, Luc Besson! director and producer of some truly awesome films.

Please don't see this film, please don't be 'Taken' in

I'm going to pretend Taken 2 never happened!

Author: melcovel from United States
7 October 2012

Terrible and a major disappointment to anyone that loved Taken like I did! Weak plot, terrible action and preposterous storyline make it laughable. I know the first one was far fetched but much more believable. Takes away from the first one!!! The fact that Kim couldn't get her license and then magically can drive a stick shift is ludicrous. The fight scenes were filmed too close up to see and the Albanians were made to look like total idiots by missing every shot and Liam landing everyone of them. The story was slow to start and seemed filled with fluff. The movie ends without a real build up leaving you wondering..... What just happened?!

Movie deserves 7/10, but the director does not even deserve 0...

Author: Renovatio from United Kingdom
7 October 2012

The movie was very good and Liam Neeson is one my favourite actors. it is great that Liam Neeson visited Turkey. I am sure that he impressed very much while he was there. However I just hated director's point of view about Istanbul, and Turkey. In some scenes you see some women wearing pitch black clothes as if they live in a country governed by Islamic rules . No!!! Turkey is not like that!!! Its constitution is more democratic than many 'democratic' countries in the world. And especially women had their rights before many 'democratic' countries in the world. For example Turkish women can vote or can be elected since 1934! Just check the history. You will see Turkish women had such rights before millions of others women living in other countries. But, I do not understand why there is not any Turkish women seen in the movie. All the movie was taken in very weird and suburban areas, and you do not see any women, but the guys. This is not Iran, this is Istanbul! I am very sorry about the director's attitude and I did not like it at all.

Turkey is a secular, democratic and modern country. You can see the people with very modern looking all over the city, not ninjas! The people of Turkey do not wear such a pitch black clothes like the people living in an Islamic country. Not only the appearance, but also the thoughts are modern and contemporary in Turkey! Why did director say a big lie to the world? Is there a political reason? Should a director act like a horrible politician?

I am fed up with seeing such horrible movies hiding the truth! Make movie of what you see, not hide the truth!

Movie certainly deserves 7 out of 10, but the director does not deserve even 0!

I hope my review was useful to correct some mistakes/lies about Istanbul...

A horrible sequel

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
6 October 2012

In 2008, I enjoyed the film Taken mainly because of Liam Neeson's solid performance, which added deepness to the screenplay because of his conviction and intensity (I will refrain from mentioning that the TV series 24 was quite popular in that time, and Neeson basically played Jack Bauer, but on the big screen). Now, 4 years later, we have Taken 2, which unfortunately is a pathetic action film with an incredibly weak screenplay, insipid direction and some of the most boring action scenes I have seen in the last years.

Neeson made his best effort in rescuing Taken 2, bringing the seriousness and conviction from an authentic professional actor who trusts in the screenplay...or at least pretends to. For the rest, the film is a collection of forced domestic melodrama (Kim couldn't obtain her driving license; Bryan distrusts of Kim's new boyfriend; Lennie has problems with her new husband; etc.) and confusing action scenes completely lacking of any energy and impact. I was almost falling asleep during the car chase through the narrow streets of Istambul; and the fights are edited into micro-shots of less than a second, and as a consequence, it was very difficult to notice what was happening.

But the worst thing of all is that Taken 2 retroactively harms Taken, because the villains are so inept that they make us doubt about the hero's ability. He was maybe just lucky of finding a gang of idiots who leave him alone during long periods of time in order to give him the opportunity to escape; kindly allow him to make phone calls while they are having him held at gunpoint; and start to endlessly make a monologue when they should be having the revenge they enjoy mentioning so much. As for the violence, Taken 2 is strictly PG-13 material; the main character employs magic bullets which always hit the spot, but without shedding a single drop of blood; on the opposite, the villains employ bullets which inoffensively dissolve through the air, or at most, only work on walls.

In conclusion, Taken 2 is an unbearable film, whose 90 minutes feel like 180 because of the poor screenplay and director Olivier Megaton's laziness. I liked his previous film (Colombiana), but he fell so low in Taken 2 that it will be difficult to have any enthusiasm in his future films. In other words, save your time and your money, and don't watch Taken 2. I just hope that this piece of junk isn't economically successful, and we won't have a third part, in which Neeson will have to look for the cup of coffee he accidentally left on his car's roof. After Taken 2, I think any foolishness would be viable for producer Luc Besson.

Page 1 of 43:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]