IMDb > Agent Vinod (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Agent Vinod

Agent Vinod More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Utterly soulless and quite frankly too long and boring.

Author: devimumba77
28 March 2012

This is just an amazingly poor film. I think Saif Ali Khan can be a good actor, I liked him on "Being Cyrus", but AV is in my opinion absolutely dreadful. It's not a spy film, it's not a Bond film or a Bourne film... It's not anything. It's just a mess. It is not original, it is just a derivative action movie. It lacks any discernible plot and replaces any character development with continuous hyper-edited action, so much so that you just end up not caring about anything. What annoyed me most were the camera angles - I felt dizzy during a number of the action sequences and there was just too much going on in front of my eyes - all at the expense of an actual plot. In Saif A Khan's character there's not even a trace of humanity as he becomes increasingly unbelievable, and increasingly unlikeable : he tries so hard to look sultry with his oiled, polished bare torso, but he has no humor or charm or sexiness as you would expect him to have. AV is basically a spinning machine, almost robotic in his ways. The effects and stunts are OK, hence my one star. But that's it. The bulging-eyed female co-star, Ms Kapoor is an enigma for me: mediocre acting and not even a hint of charisma, mystery or whatsoever. I never understood and will never understand the reasons of her mega success in India. She should move to Hollywood and watch how difficult is for a professional actress to act well and get a deserved success. After disastrous partnership on screen between Mr Khan and Ms Kapoor (Tashan, Kurbaan), maybe it's time for both to stop acting together, since they really do not show any chemistry at all...that special "something" that you would expect from two people, who supposedly are partners in real life. Overall, very disappointed : utterly soulless and quite frankly boring. I wish I hadn't bothered with AV.

Agent Vinod_License to Boredom

Author: Ramesh Roy from India
23 March 2012

One of my friends said that Agent Vinod is the remake of old Agent Vinod (Available on YouTube). I was not convinced, but when I came out of the theater I started believing it. Really? Sriram Raghavan? After Ek Hasina Thi and Johny Gaddar, Agent Vinod? I still can't believe that Saif and Sriram come up with this utterly disorganized film.

Agent Vinod is something that Saif wanted to do with Kurbaan,(Thank god they haven't repeated any love making act, may be Saif wanted to concentrate more on acting skills.) The main problem of the film is screenplay. Screenplay throws out sequences without any explanation.You can't connect with this film. It feels like writers were stoned and when they were high they started writing Agent Vinod. This film shows you glimpse of 12 or more countries with irrelevant characters that supposed to be most wanted criminals.Every character is flat and shallow. I can't even say 'underwritten'. There are ton of questions that could really make you sick and dizzy. Couple of dialogues is witty but you heard it in first trailer itself. Sriram tried different things like to relate the sequence with Charlie Chaplin's films and to synchronies the fight sequence with silent song but it doesn't hold your attention because your mind continuously tries to figure out what the hell is going on.

Too many characters but no one gets enough time to act. Saif is confused, he tries to carry the film but the plot (?) is so weak that I would have watched Don 2 again. Why the hell did editor freeze some random frames? To make an impression on viewer's mind?

The good thing about agent Vinod is that it's not in 3D. This is not an action movie, it just a movie where someone kills someone, that's it. The most idiotic thing about the film is that a bullet is sufficient to kill Vinod but then, again we have to face lame action moves. Why was there Rajat Kapoor and Gulshan Grover? They come and go, they do nothing.But why did even writers come up with those characters.

Agent Vinod is not an intelligent, smart film and it doesn't come up with anything new. This spy has license to boredom.

AGENT VINOD is disappointing and boring often. The film is an experiment gone wrong.

Author: Ali Ahmed Awan from Lahore
23 March 2012

AGENT VINOD is a film which has a 15 minutes introduction scene of Saif in the beginning. The film could have been easily brought to 20-25 minutes shorter as the story doesn't have much in it. It's a film that has been made on such a huge canvas that pulls the bar of expectations but what we get on screen is far behind of the hype that the film has generated. The director takes the film over the top because in each of his sequence, one can notice that the film is trying to be clever, but it's actually not! The writers are to be blamed for the half-baked role written for Kareena Kapoor. Her character more so becomes a caricature, thanks to filmy dialogues and poor direction. Also, the screenplay writers fail to maintain rhythm of the film because every scene is followed by some random action and chase scene. Pritam's music is just OK but it's not original. The cinematographer doesn't give any such views which will please the eyes. Sriram Raghavan fails to execute the film because his aesthetics and nuances, this film clearly lacks. It's a lazy attempt and hence it should have been handled well by the director. Saif Ali Khan is fantastic as he delivers most to perfection. He infuses life in the film. Kareena Kapoor is saddled by badly sketched role. It's just a fail..... an epic fail....

totally awful!

Author: Akhil Dwivedi
23 March 2012

aah! I didn't expect the movie that bad but it goes beyond my every level. seriously i find it total lousy boring action and surprisingly with no script lol. I feel like it was torture to audiences to watch whole movie.

There was no chemistry b/w SAIF n KAREENA which at least hold the audience nut NOOO nothing like that. There was just exotic locations,some of great beaches .The first 30 minutes of the film are intriguing but then all fell apart,there was no linking between sub plots they just went on and on without a reason. At last they were trying to create to create climax but they failed horribly. It's just copy of Hollywood I don't know which film but it certainly was.

Unwanted scenes (between the lead pair) and unwarranted songs add to the film's already lazily unfurling narrative. For a thriller that talks of nuclear explosions and a plot that zips from one country to another, the film moves at a staggeringly sluggish pace, and is only intermittently gripping I bet you cannot watch it for 2nd time even for free. DO NOT DARE TO WATCH AV ON CINEMAS

Absolute Rubbish

Author: neetighildiyal from Mumbai
23 March 2012

I just saw this movie and I can't believe the reviews that are written above. For what starts out as an attempt to be an action flick..this movie totally bites the dust. Saif's aim to project himself as the 007 of Indian Cinema bombs! Saif and Kareena both are really pathetic in this. There really was no chemistry in this.

The editing is not good at all..I could hear almost everyone in the theater going "what just happened" and not because of excitement. The dialogs had no punch in them. Only the locations in the movie were worth something to look at.

However, the supporting cast i.e., Ram Kapoor, Prem Chopra, Dhritiman Chaterji are pretty decent .

The movie is NOT sharp, NOT cool, NOT clever, NOT funny, NOT Interesting. A below average movie.

I wasted my 3 hours. I hope you don't.

Author: chinvikul from India
1 April 2012

Calling this 2:30 hours long video a movie, would be an insult to the rest. Movie starts with some random action scene. This scene pretty much gives you a glimpse of whats coming to you. Bad guys die in tons, good guys don't even get a scratch, chicks falling for the hero etc. you get it all right.

1. Its very bad script. It totally defies logic. There are many instances where you would cry out "why didn't you simply did *this*?"

2. Too many characters. After 15 minutes into movie, you stop keeping track of locations, characters, questions you hope would be resolved later and people dying. Also, 2:30 hours is way too lengthy.

3.Very bad editing.

4. In a movie, one or two twists are accepted. When you twist the story every couple of minutes and use some random codewords which don't make much sense, you loose interest and the plot.

5. Bad jokes. Really very bad jokes.

When Style dominates Substance.......................

Author: SonalSudeep from India
27 March 2012

Stylish actors,wonderful locations,lots of side characters,wayward storyline all these sum up the context of Agent Vinod.Mark,I used only two positive things,which are actually the fairly good things in the movie,whereas the reason you should avoid it,is at the behest of the negative points.The movie seems as if cut-by-cut summary of 14 different movies(because of 14 different locations) with none of them providing apt understanding of the storyline and you end up asking yourself-"What was that?","Who was that?","Why was that?". Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor did justice to their character still the storyline & some poor editing made a mess of the movie.Songs were good still not upto the mark. All in all Agent Vinod is a stylish,sleek movie beyond a good and sensible storyline.If you find STYLE dominating SUBSTANCE as good,go for it,else its far far better to avoid it.

not worth watching.....awful in one word......boring.......non sense

Author: Dhruv saha from India
29 March 2012

from where to start...............the film was nothing but a useless waste of time and money and mood............saif Ali khan was as usual awful.......his foreign accent does not help this crap..................and again what Karena kapur was doing in the whole film.......not only in this one but in Ra.one 3 idiots body guard...she ate all our brain stuffs by showing non sense...........this film is a disappointment from the director after Johnny gadder and ek hasina thi...............and why the hell saif Ali khan was comparing this film with James bond films or Bourne films or the villains in tin tin.is he mad??????????????any way just avoid this movie this is total waste of time and money.......and saif please do films which have a proper meaning

Don't watch

Author: hasmax786-328-845499 from UK
27 March 2012

Indian cinema at its best today Agent Vinod, the movie drags like no bodies business.

I've just watched it I've got a headache.

There are so many mistakes in the movie I got sick of it.

This movie was an equivalent of a Salman Khan movie full of mindless action with no real story.

Very overrated movie.

I think agent Vinod was supposed to be India's 007. Fail! worst movie I've seen so far this year.

Conclusion: if you watch movies to pass time and if there's nothing else to watch don't watch this enough said.

Agent Vinod- Fast paced, Stylish, Inconsistent

Author: Achyuta Ghosh from Gurgaon, India
23 March 2012

It's hard not to appreciate Agent Vinod since there is more good to it than bad- and this I bravely say, with some relief as well, considering my wife has a gun pointed at my head right now. To be fair, spy thrillers have been in short supply in Bollywood, and hence director Sriram Raghavan deserves kudos for having the balls to carry out a full blown assault in uncharted territories, and creating a movie that can hold its own against the very best that the West has to offer.

The evolution of James Bond is perhaps the best indicator of the notion film makers have of spies in general- from the suave and charming Connery/Moore days, to today's intense and gritty Craig, they are today's supermen, they are the only thing standing between order and anarchy and hence, they have to have it all. Agent Vinod, played by lead actor and producer Saif Ali Khan is one such superman, enemies of India, beware- killing is his second nature, his lives outnumber that of a few cats put together, he has a penchant for getting caught and then giving the slip, he globe trots with elan, and saves damsels in distress- all this he does while looking impeccably good all the time- shirt on or shirt-less.

To be fair, there isn't a coherent plot here. I feel Raghavan had a lot to tell and maybe envisaged a series first, and hence it resembles an episodic structure- each episode in a different country- starts with AV actioning a breakout form an Afghan jail, to getting on the trail that involves the death of his partner in Russia which leads him further into Morocco, Latvia, Pakistan, India and culminating in England. Jules Verne thought of it in 80 days, but AV seems to derive extra pleasure in doing this day in day out. AV is on the search of a suitcase nuclear bomb, and he blasts, chops and hacks his way towards it with single minded determination, only to face an enemy who matches him every step of the way with passion and resourcefulness. There is some amount of sleuthing, loads and loads of action, a couple of catchy songs, a little bit of humour, some melodrama and again more guns, more explosions, more glory.

I am a fan of Sriram Raghavan- who can forget his first feature, Ek Hasina Thi, where Saif portrayed a bad guy with chilling intensity, or his second movie- Johnny Gaddar, an ingenious heist thriller, where he made a star out of a non actor such as Neil Nitin Mukesh. Thrillers is his genre, and taut, smart and nail biting is his style- which is evident in bits and pieces in Agent Vinod. Raghavan injects so much energy into this movie, that it hurtles along across continents without giving a moment to sit back and think, which in fact is a good thing is as the plot is riddled with holes. And interspaced liberally is Raghavan's homage to movies of the past that he idolizes- Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Five Man Army, Don, Amar Akbar Anthony, and of course, Bond. Raghavan though reserves his brilliance for a memorable scene in the second half, a bit John Woo inspired slow motion sequence in a seedy hotel, with a blind girl singing a love ballad, as Saif protects a suitably tormented Kareena, in the process finishing off a group of baddies amidst much dodging and shooting.

As super-spy AV, Saif builds the character squarely around Daniel Craig's interpretation of James Bond, the movie itself has shades of Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace. Saif looks the part- he is suitably chiselled, his hair is never out of place, his clothes never miss a stitch, and he makes the taxing physical sequences look as easy as a walk in the park. And as and when the role dictates, Saif does a good job in letting us take a peek into his vulnerabilities. But he also carries Craig's weaknesses- sometimes wooden, unlike the other senior Khans who know how to play their starpower- Salman and SRK, Saif takes the role too seriously, and only in the credits does he loosen his hair down. Kareena as ISI agent and Vinod's ladylove Iram, for a change does not play the stereotyped, bubbly character that she ALWAYS plays nowadays- but again she does not do something special here, so i feel anyone could have done her part. The masterstroke in AV though is not Vinod himself or Iram, but the slew of character artists that play small but memorable roles. Of special mention is Adil Hussain as AV's nemesis, Colonel, who can kill with a smile and remains one step ahead of our titular superspy. Dhritiman Chatterjee is having a blast- post Kahaani, he again lends grace and class to an important character, and Prem Chopra reminds you how badass he was in his prime. I loved the eclectic background score- zingy and apt, it deserves a release of its own sometime down the line.

Lately Bollywood has been churning out action thrillers-think Dhoom, Don, Players- Agent Vinod stands head and shoulders above them but suffers from a curious case of inconsistency- it has loads of style but lacks substance, the VFX overall is top-notch, yet some shots are dead giveaways, some dialogues are out of this world smart, yet some are downright cheesy, some sequences are heady, and some are plain bad, and the ending is needlessly overdrawn. But i found myself secretly smiling when i left the theatre- is it because i had low expectations, or maybe, just maybe, Agent Vinod did work for me- remember the gun, folks  6/10

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]