IMDb > Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Max: Fury Road More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 59:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A masterpiece on a massive scale.

Author: sukhmanjitcheema from Canada
11 May 2015

George Miller returns with a bang and takes the helm of this crazy 2hr bonkers extravaganza named Mad Max: Fury Road. First of all, the stunts and action sequences are SPECTACULAR. Tom Hardy breaths life into Max Rockatansky and Charlize Theron is excellent and emotionally perfect as Furiosa. The story opens, with Immortan Joe who has young ladies as his wives, but he'll goes down when they escape the sadist's hands. Max, who has a violent past with Joe's cronies, decides to help Imperior Furiosa take the girls somewhere safe. Furiosa can't trust Max, and neither can he. So it all comes down to Joe's cronies fighting against them reaching to their destination. The movie is a bananas car chase for the runtime, as Max and Furiosa work together to fight against the evils. And then, there is Nux, a bonkers "really skin coloured" guy, who works with Joe, played well by Nicholas Hoult. The 3D really pays off, and is worth the extra ticket. The movie puts all other action movies of shame, the effects really pop out. Well, this is a definite masterpiece. One of the best movies of the year, one of the best action movies ever made and the role of Theron's life. Miller is truly a mastermind as stated clearly in the trailer. This exceeded my expectations, and will exceed yours as well. The dark style, dark comedy and the over the top characters make a return in this reboot. Must watch, and worth the extra IMAX 3D ticket.

An absolutely insane action film that will blow you away

Author: stephendaxter
13 May 2015

Mad Max Fury Road is George Miller's return to the franchise he started way back in 1979 with Mad Max. I will start by saying this movie was absolutely batsh** insane. It was filled right to the brim with continuous over the top bloody ridiculous action sequences that keep you on the edge of the seat and just amazed at what Is happening on screen. Now this film doesn't have much of a plot at all but seriously you're not going into this film for an intense plot, this is a film that almost didn't even need one at all. The one thing I was worried about going in was whether I needed to have seen the previous films to understand this one and thankfully you don't, the story is independent of the previous film which was really helpful.

The characters were all awesome and it did an amazing job to introduce them all almost instantly and get right into the action. Max (Tom Hardy? and Furiosa (Charlize Theron) were were great and extremely likable characters. Even the villain who I will just call Sweet Tooth was so great, he wasn't anything too special but was a great threat throughout the film.

I just absolutely loved this movie, intense action from start to finish and didn't slow down at all, that made it ridiculously fun to watch. The great characters and the performances are awesome on screen and we're always interesting to watch. If there was ever a Twisted Metal movie, this is what it would be. Nothing really let the film down and everything really worked, such a great time and the best cinema experience this year so far. - 10

Dark Yet Visually Exhilarating. Beautifully Brutal and Yet Still Visceral

Author: prospectus_capricornium from Philippines
13 May 2015

Even at the beginning, there's no hint MAD MAX: FURY ROAD is going to a stop. Right at the very start, the engines are already rewing, gathering furious fires of vengeance and redemption, and before the audience could snap out of the sheer moments of brutal grittiness and exhilarating high-octane drama, they are surely already held hostage within the confines of a post-apocalyptic world, where everything is horrendously scarce. Not that it's a bad thing, no it's not. I tell you, this is like being hurled into the space in a roller-coaster ride. It's dangerous, but it's also thrilling. Witnessing this dystopic world and all its hellish drama unfold might make you grope for seatbelt under your seat.

The film shares Max Rockatansky's (Tom Hardy) adventures. Max is an ex highway patrolman. He's been haunted by the past, by family he never saved. He meets the Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) who is being pursued by the dictatorial Wasteland leader "Joe". Furiosa reaches for Max for help in keeping the 'Five Wives'—women she brought with her—into safety, as Joe's deranged breed of warriors called The War Boys, that are barely humans, are raging across the desert to capture them. This pursuit throws the unlikely partners into the whalloping dangers of bloody escape, suddenly sending them into a game of survival.

After a rip-roaring opening chase sequence, Max is held captive in the Citadel, the city where the ruthlessly totalitarian leader "Joe" is ruling over. The grotesquely brutal lord maintains tight grip of every valuable resouces across the land. This brings the entire populace crippling under his control. As for Max, he becomes merely a blood bag for Nux (Nick Hoult) one of Joe's War Boys, who is a fatal devout to the cause of their fascist leader, who has promised them the glory of getting into Valhalla, the promised land.

Everything in this cinematic behemoth screams grandeur, even the feverish chase, even the dark erubescents spurred from the ruthless violence. Miller has molded a world where darkness is an escape from the stream of clichés and retreads, surging into the cinemas, today. It's a visual feast, but surprisingly, with sense. It's explosive in every unimaginable ways, but it's not devoid of a human story, which in this case, is propelled by stellar performances from incredible actors on the movie's payroll. Tom Hardy is utterly capable as the main hero, but the emotional spine of the narrative mostly runs on Theron's character. At some point, there would be a sense that Max isn't the only one playing under the spotlight, as it gets evident Furiosa is equally as massive as his role is. Hardy here is singularly stunning, playing his role with utmost credibility as he is required. His mission transcends past his emotional torments and he's never pulled himself free from the ghosts if his past. Same can be said with Furiosa, who is not only running from Joe because she wants to get herself free from his cut throat grip, but also to bring every woman into safety, back to freedom where they belong.

Much of the movie is spent with furious speed chases that goes from end to end of Joe's subjugated land, while also taking surprising twists and turns along the way. It's like it doesn't know how to stop, and if it does, that's surely only to allow us breathe and catch up with the next electrifying action setpiece. There's an enigmatic style Miller has employed to provide distinctions in his fantasy world, and it keeps the momentum in tack, if not ever progressing. The tone of the movie, all those vividly dark colors, that magically shifts from something to another, imparts a drowning experience, only it's enjoying and looks festive to the eyes. This makes every eye-squashing spectacles take mammoth forms of visual extravaganza, turning all those burning combustions, metal blasts, and endless pursuits, from mere technical marvels into a hair-raising escapade.

Amid these sanity-grabbing action sequences, though, is an emotional streak that keeps Max and Furiousa's humanity alive. This prompts them to survival, into carrying out their similar humane causes, clinging tightly to their only mission even if they get hurled into the barbaric hostilities of their dystopian society. This turns the movie into something visceral, cathartic in some ways that probably only a small fraction of the audience could understand. It will not be enough to merit this achievement with merely a splurge of superlatives. This needs to be experienced, felt, and forever cherished. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, ignites eternal fire, and it will keep burning through the stretches of cinematic history.

A blockbuster that dark, gritty, brutal and bloody? Right here.

Author: punishable-by-death from Australia
14 May 2015

I was left speechless when this finished. It can be hard to describe indeed.... but I'll go for it...

Sheer madness that isn't sullied by bad acting or laughable lines. A blockbuster that is gritty and doesn't have a sense of humour that could be equated to a fluffy kitten. No 'lets all hug' sentimental BS.

This is seriously a movie I thought I'd never see: a CGI-filled blockbuster that I flat out loved. The stunts are so much fun, the FX so great, it is the first movie I have seen where I have thoroughly enjoyed all this type of stuff - probably because the cinematography for once doesn't suffer cos of it. It is all incredibly shot.

The action is so brutal and appropriately high-octane. I thought to myself more than once, 'I think I am loving this more than Terminator 2' but other than that, there wasn't time to think. It kicked off fast and barely stopped, and the lulls were amplified by the insanity preceding them. Plus it is a dark film, which made it even better I don't think I have ever heard a yank do an Aussie accent even close to well, was Hardy actually trying for that? Either way, he didn't talk much so it didn't really matter. This is more Theron's movie that Hardy's, he doesn't say much and does next to nothing for the first third or so.

I don't even like this type of movie but goddamn, the execution is everything. I'm gonna go see this again, soon. 4.5/5

Great non-stop action

Author: Leo Foster from United States
13 May 2015

Great film, so fast-paced it makes every other film out there look slow and old-fashioned. Wonderful to see George Miller back on the Australian road, where he belongs. Charlize Theron is great, Tom Hardy is not bad, but the stunts are really where the film shines. It's hard to think of a better action road movie. It has all the intensity and perversity of the MAD MAX and THE ROAD WARRIOR, but amped up to new heights of craziness. Miller is the real star of the film -- in some ways technology seems to have finally caught up with his early hyperactive camera style, and he takes full advantage of the ability to move wherever he wants, however he wants.

What a Lovely Day!

Author: shayanarshad from London, England
12 May 2015

What a Lovely Day and What a Lovely Movie! This is just beyond expectations! There is nothing easy or predictable about what George Miller delivers with Mad Max: Fury Road, a stone-cold action master class, beautiful and brainy and startling in the ways it throws off the current definition of the blockbuster. There is gargantuan excess here, to be sure - and no shortage of madness - but there is also an astonishing level of discipline. Come for the blistering, full-tilt action, stay for the thought-provoking consideration of the post-apocalypse. The world of Mad Max has always been welded together from bits of whatever was lying around, and the films' brilliance has always been in their welding - the ingenious ways in which their scrap- metal parts were combined to create something unthinkable, hilarious or obscene, and often all three.

What a Lovely Day!

Author: hamass-mujadid
12 May 2015

Cold-blooded, botanically medieval, crusades-like, and horrifically thrilling—that's Fury Road. As for Max, it looks like he's the same archetypal Bane, only this time, he's more immune to "I'm not afraid, I'm angry." He's silent, and angry, and frustrated. He's Rango-like, reflective of the quest to solve the water-mystery. With everything red, orange, and yellow, it seems like you're viewing 300 blended in Saw, and over-the-top F&F.

George Miller revises his ideological construct in the most exhilarating, dreadful, and striking manner this time. For all I know, the audiences spoil themselves with "cinematic orgasms," if that's a thing, throughout the movie. They're not afraid of the porcupine-trucks, maybe a little on the edge of madness, but that goes without saying. Here's a hint as to what it was like: Bane and Miranda beating the beep out of war-painted, anti-Christian, Hulu tribe—only this time, it's some dark, full-raged action with mountain bikes, and trucks, and springy tentacles moving idiotic half-Willy, half-Wonka The Da Vinci Code Bettany's horrendous versions. Miller puts his tribal culture in the crux of action, which reveals an unorthodox, authoritarian, and devout portrayal of enmity. The sport-arena action is complemented by prayers in Citadel, banging of drums, skeleton-wheels, and skeleton-feels. It has a bizarre feeling—you're dredged into the modernity of Prometheus and antediluvian era of the Exodus.

More than anything—Max's deafening seriousness, Furiosa's bald-grace, armless-attraction, sense of responsibility, and and absolute congeniality to the role (always imposingly remarkable,) religious affirmation, banging, puffing, booming, clatter, splash, tick-tick, boom—the "fantasized-realism" behind all the get-off-my-property-you-crazy-lunatic is what gives you the honesty-chills. The stunts, the effort, the don't-care-about-ourselves-just-love-the-movie-please pledge, and the extraordinarily enormous—480 hours of footage into 120 minutes of freaking-awesome warfare—blows me off of my seat in the cinema to the pale, scorching blaze of the sun, amidst the crazy-eyes of this action-genre Orange is the New Black. Even the over-editing has that medieval, darkly comical feel to it, just like 300 for example (can't think of another movie with such aberrant effects, but such positive response.)

But like any other movie, there are points where you start questioning yourself. Nothing seems to justify Max & Furiosa's relationship, mutual combats, strategies, certainty of plans, and stuff like that. But by then, the movie's not about logic or sense anymore; it's more about seeing what you wouldn't in ages. With such a brilliant ensemble—I mean it was pretty good for a solely madness-based movie—you couldn't care less about the abacus-loving dumb-toads sitting in exactly the middle seats of the theater to get the most balanced view of the screen, and judge the minus-plus of the 120 minute long clip. I feel like reporting their stupidity to the CIA—enough with the pen and paper!

Mad Max comes equitably with the characters, their roles, and the titular projections. Each name is qualified by its corresponding characteristic with the character in the movie—Spikers, Rictus Erectus et cetera. This complements the heartfelt glow to the movie itself—everything's done for the movie. They didn't feel any need to impose worldly sense into it, which is the best part, because that miniature world seemed pretty damn believable to me—but why? Maybe it were those religious beats, maybe the dragon-roars of engines, maybe it was just the psychological effect. Whatever it was, it did what it planned to.

Mad Max: Fury Road puts forth the idea that there's so much more to combats than mere combats—MMFR incorporates belligerent, spoiling-for-a-fight attitude, oppressed landscape, estranged and barbaric drug-lords, heavy-weight weaponry and wheelers, and poster-paint bombings. The intensified red-blaze of fire, the sandstorm-effect, the preposterous turn of events, the nonsensical touch of things, and the wacky script—everything wrong with the movie is everything good about the movie. Mad Max: Fury Road revises the post-apocalyptic scene—utter dryness of region and minds—and uses the irritating sense of that dryness into a rigorous will to get past it with victory—Fury Road's victory. It's not about the comparative analysis of protagonists and the white-witty-wackos, it's about what's happening throughout. And when it happens, you're only remark is: "What a lovely day."

"My name is Max, My world is fire and blood."

Author: michaelsharples96 (michaelsharples96@gmail.com)
16 May 2015

'Mad Max: Fury Road' is the 4th installment in mastermind, George Miller's insane post apocalyptic journey. Starring Charlize Theron (Monster, Hancock) Tom Hardy (The Dark Knight Rises) Nicholas Hoult (About a Boy) and (Hugh Kaeys-Byrn) as the movies villain Immortan Joe.

Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) is assigned to a mission. The mission is to drive the war rig and go through to the next town and siphon gasoline. Furiosa ends up double crossing Immortan Joe and stealing his 5 wives to take them back to her homeland where they can be safe. Along side her is Max, a man of action and very few words. Together they must fight trough hordes of enemies in what is basically a 2 hour long, high speed chase.

I have been waiting since I heard about the green lighting of this movie back in 2009. I have been waiting for almost 6 years for this thing. My hype was high, I wasn't sure it would live up to my expectations. Well I am here to tell you that it did. It lived up to the hype, AND THEN SOME. This movie is absolutely, 1000% insane. What you saw in the trailers wasn't even close to the level of crazy that goes down in this movie. You know this movie is pretty much just all out, balls to the wall action, so if you think the trailers maybe showed off a little too much. You couldn't be more wrong.

The stunt work is choreographed and directed to perfection, it is the most well crafted and stunning movie I've ever seen and will probably ever see, which is kind of the norm and what to expect with a George Miller movie. There's explosions going off everywhere, cars blowing up left, right and center, people being killed and blown to shreds. But none of it is convoluted, it all streams together perfectly, you know what is happening, when it happens. The fact that pretty much 90% of this movie is all practical effects and all stunt work is mind blowing. The cars that explode, that's happening. People bouncing from one side to the other on long poles at 60mph, picking people up and flying then back across, that's going down, too. Too many blockbusters these days are filled with CGI. And even with limitless amounts of stuff you can do with all of that. NONE of it even is even comparable to the action in this movie. The crap that goes down here, other movies couldn't even dream to aspire towards such a spectacle.

People complain that there's not much of a story, they wanted more. Well I gotta tell you, the story is just what it needs. For something to be great it doesn't need to be a vibrant cohesive piece of art. The story is very simple, and the simplicity of it is what makes it great. There's enough story to keep you paying attention to it and not just going in for explosions. Not to mention that It's not driven through its narrative or its dialog. It's driven by its characters and its action. To which people also said they were underdeveloped and weren't written very well, from my stand point they absolutely were.

The character of Nux (Nicholas Hoult) was developed amazingly well, I didn't really expect to see much from him but he really became his own in this movie. He was developed enough to make you care, he was written to be understandable in his actions and he was by far, for me, one of the best things about the movie. Furiosa was also developed just enough to make you feel something for her character. She's one of the only good left in a world full of bad. What Miller does in this movie is make characters that not only do you are for but are also incredibly likable and super bad ass. Max wasn't developed as much as some of the others but let's face it. If you've watched the older ones (which I recommend you do) There really isn't much to him. He's a man that's had everything taken from him and he has nothing left to lose. All he wants is to be left in peace. That's all he's every been and that's all he wants to carry on being.

What I also love about this movie is that the lead character is a woman. Hollywood these days are always depicting women who need a man take care of them. That they can't live without men. That is DEFINITELY not the case with this movie. Furiosa is fierce, she's skilled, she's unpredictable and she's all out bad ass. This is a testosterone filled movie but it's not the testosterone that takes charge.

Action movies these days aren't normally as good as one of the reasons being is that the hero is never really in any really danger. If he's never in danger or near death how can you possible expect to have your audience on the edge of their seats. Pondering what if the inevitable happened. Max was in peril SO MANY TIMES in this film. There was at least 10 times where I thought "this is the end, he's going to die" then he miraculously gets out of it. But it's not the cliché type when someone luckily comes along at the last moment and saves him. Believe me there aren't many, if any clichés in this movie. He fights his way out of these death defying situations. Furiosa out other lead is also in life threatening situations throughout this movie. Many times where we wouldn't know if she would make it.

If you don't see Mad Max: Fury Road in the theaters then you are missing out. I went in IMAX and I can tell you it was worth every goddamn penny. Papa want a sequel

Exactly what it needed to be.

Author: Phil Waters (phil@clevelandmoto.com) from Cleveland, Ohio
11 May 2015

Complicated hero who is easy to latch onto. Fantastic plot that is plausible in this environment. Terrifying nemesis, horrifying and relentless. Non-stop action and brilliant stunt sequences that will make you cringe. This movie will have you feeling parched and gritty. Usually Not a fan of 3d - however, it works perfectly here. This movie has managed to honor the previous films without being clunky about it. if you love mutant vehicles, art cars, burning man, etc. you will be satisfied. A few scenes that were taking place in cobbled together 1000 hp vehicles at 50mph where it was quieter inside than a modern Cadillac - the absence of the din of machinery for the sake of dialogue was the only thing that bothered me.

Musical of the decade

Author: Vikesh Mirchandani from Indonesia
16 May 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road sees veteran director George Miller return to the Mad Max franchise after a 30 year hiatus.

Fury Road is a hallmark in action films. Miller's post-apocalyptic future provides an impeccable backdrop for the crescendo of mayhem present in this movie. From the first scene to the last, there is plenty of spectacular action, vehicular and human. The cinematography is lush throughout. From the opening shot of the lizard being stomped by Max (Tom Hardy) to all the action scenes raging in the desert, the camera-work remains consistently on point. Many iconic shots are to be found in this movie.

75% of the movie consists of action; so much that there isn't an 'action SCENE' present. Any action aficionados will have their expectations transcended while common moviegoers will have their satisfaction met too. What is surprising, however, is the emotional heft of the 25% that remains. Much of it is dedicated to the back story of Furiousa (Charlize Theron) who effortlessly delivers an Oscar worthy performance by mixing brawn with emotion for her internally wounded character.

Nicholas Hoult's Nux, who provides one of the best lines of the film: "It's a lovely day!" at the midst of a crazy thunderstorm consisting tornadoes consisting cars consisting mad humans. Nux is an interesting character in this interesting world and provides plenty of the action by his well... actions.

Finally, Tom Hardy's delivers a subtle performance as Mad Max. For a character whose name is slapped largely in the film poster, he receives barely a page of dialogue minus a monologue at the start. Considering the fact that he wears a Bane-like (see the parallel) mask throughout much of the film, it is surprising how powerful his performance actually is.

In my summary, I mentioned this to be the "Musical of the decade". What I mean isn't the absolutely amazing soundtrack but instead "the guy in the mask furiously shredding a flame-throwing electric guitar while dangling above a mobile wall of speakers that roars through the desert". Imagine that. When all hell breaks loose only accompanied by that as the background music, epic is truly an understatement as a description.

Overall, Mad Max is a gleefully insane symphony of destruction that makes the Avengers seem like misfits and the Fast and Furious crew seem like the Slow and Sweet crew. This action packed masterpiece exhibits no shortage of high voltage, 2,000 horsepower action that also contains of lush cinematography, character development and a satisfactory plot (that works, cause it's 75% action anyways). Mad Max: Fury Road is definitely THE summer movie of 2015!

Page 1 of 59:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]