IMDb > Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Max: Fury Road More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 119:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Superficial action movie that lacks depth

Author: Jethro Troll from United States
29 May 2015

I'm not completely sure what I was expecting from Fury Road, but it was more than this. This is the latest example of Hollywood rehashing a successful and good movie franchise solely for profit. It's mindless, repetitive action sequences melded between horrible acting and overused clichés.

One of the allures of this series is seeing the outlandish road vehicles that are used, and in this the movie mostly delivers. You have the high-powered Warrior Rig driven by Furiosa. There's battle vehicles equipped with spikes, rigs with counter-balanced poles for launching warriors into other vehicles, and there's even a vehicle equipped with large bass drums and a stack of speakers that would make KISS jealous with a psychotic guitarist wailing away for our musical enjoyment. And of course, each vehicle comes equipped with more explosive arsenal than a battle ship. And it's put to good use.

However, once you get past the eye candy, you realize there's nothing else to it. The story is weak. The characters are weaker. And the acting is the worst. The movie never drew me in. Not even close. Whenever the movie 'tried' to add depth and be dramatic, it was painful and embarrassing to watch. The scene where Furiosa reacts to finding out her birth home is gone by taking off her prosthetic arm and dropping down to her knees may be the worst movie scene I've ever watched. And it says something when the most interesting character is Nux, a relentless slave/warrior who actually has a mind of his own and decides to help Max and Furiosa in their quest. Of course, one of Immortan Joe's wives falls for him, representing one of the many poorly executed clichés this movie is riddled with.

I can watch a superficial action movie and enjoy it for what it is, to a point. This one, however, is just generally so poorly executed that it leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't hate it, but I have absolutely no desire to see it again.

This is what passes for a great movie nowadays?

Author: Ma_MaMia
3 June 2015

It's hard to believe that the same talented director who made the influential cult action classic The Road Warrior had anything to do with this disaster.

Road Warrior was raw, gritty, violent and uncompromising, and this movie is the exact opposite. It's like Road Warrior for kids who need constant action in their movies.

This is the movie. The good guys get into a fight with the bad guys, outrun them, they break down in their vehicle and fix it. Rinse and repeat. The second half of the movie is the first half again just done faster.

The Road Warrior may have been a simple premise but it made you feel something, even with it's opening narration before any action was even shown. And the supporting characters were given just enough time for each of them to be likable or relatable.

In this movie there is absolutely nothing and no one to care about. We're supposed to care about the characters because... well we should. George Miller just wants us to, and in one of the most cringe worthy moments Charlize Theron's character breaks down while dramatic music plays to try desperately to make us care.

Tom Hardy is pathetic as Max. One of the dullest leading men I've seen in a long time. There's not one single moment throughout the entire movie where he comes anywhere near reaching the same level of charisma Mel Gibson did in the role. Gibson made more of an impression just eating a tin of dog food.

In the previous movies, fuel and guns and bullets were rare. Not anymore. It doesn't even seem Post-Apocalyptic. There's no sense of desperation anymore and everything is too glossy looking. And the main villain's super model looking wives with their perfect skin are about as convincing as apocalyptic survivors as Hardy's Australian accent is.

Some of the green screen is very obvious and fake looking, and the CGI sandstorm is laughably bad.

There's no tension, no real struggle, or any real dirt and grit that Road Warrior had. Everything George Miller got right with that masterpiece he gets completely wrong here.

A masterpiece on a massive scale.

Author: sukhmanjitcheema (sukhmanjitcheema@hotmail.com) from United States
11 May 2015

George Miller returns with a bang and takes the helm of this crazy 2hr bonkers extravaganza named Mad Max: Fury Road. First of all, the stunts and action sequences are SPECTACULAR. Tom Hardy breaths life into Max Rockatansky and Charlize Theron is excellent and emotionally perfect as Furiosa. The story opens, with Immortan Joe who has young ladies as his wives, but he'll goes down when they escape the sadist's hands. Max, who has a violent past with Joe's cronies, decides to help Imperior Furiosa take the girls somewhere safe. Furiosa can't trust Max, and neither can he. So it all comes down to Joe's cronies fighting against them reaching to their destination. The movie is a bananas car chase for the runtime, as Max and Furiosa work together to fight against the evils. And then, there is Nux, a bonkers "really skin coloured" guy, who works with Joe, played well by Nicholas Hoult. The 3D really pays off, and is worth the extra ticket. The movie puts all other action movies of shame, the effects really pop out. Well, this is a definite masterpiece. One of the best movies of the year, one of the best action movies ever made and the role of Theron's life. Miller is truly a mastermind as stated clearly in the trailer. This exceeded my expectations, and will exceed yours as well. The dark style, dark comedy and the over the top characters make a return in this reboot. Must watch, and worth the extra IMAX 3D ticket.

On Par for Modern Hollywood Remakes (Meaning it Stinks)

Author: donaldthane
24 May 2015

First off, this is another movie in which the action sequences last so long that you can go to the bathroom, get a soda, come back and still find the same people fighting the same fights you saw begin 15 minutes earlier. Personally, these type of action movies bore me to tears, because the story has to stop moving every time we watch one of these extended action sequences. In terms of story, the good guys and the bad guys meeting is a plot point. Then they fight, then one of them wins. As an audience member, I'm ready to know who wins as soon as they start fighting. And I really need the lead characters to have some logical reasons for doing what they are doing.

Here's my spoiler: They drive away from someplace for half the movie and then decide to turn around and go back. The only thing that happened was that they picked up a gang of old ladies. That's as deep as it gets right there. They're running away, fighting the whole way, they get away and then they decide to go back, so they have to fight the whole way. Nothing makes much sense, no characters are anything but as shallow as they could have possibly been made. If you like Avatar, you'll like this movie. If you liked Mad Max and Road Warrior, you're going to be angry about how that franchise was exploited in name and setting only.

This character isn't Mad Max. He doesn't have a dog, he doesn't eat dog food, he doesn't eat anything. Nobody in the film ever eats anything. Nor are people clamoring for gasoline, they all just seem to have it. There's an issue with water, but it makes no sense and the entire weak plot seems to depend on it. The movie ends with giant water valves being opened just like the air valves on Mars get turned on in the end of that Governor Arnold movie, I can't remember the name. The reviews calling this something new and different are absolute hogwash. This is nothing but things blowing up and cars crashing for two hours, which, by the way, is another egregious offense of these silly movies. They take a 90 minute movie with a great story line, and they strip it of plot and somehow extend it by 30 minutes. It's a scary trend, the kind of thing that makes one think Idiocracy was prophetic. The less the story and the more things blow up, the higher the ratings. Ridiculous!

An absolutely insane action film that will blow you away

Author: stephendaxter
13 May 2015

Mad Max Fury Road is George Miller's return to the franchise he started way back in 1979 with Mad Max. I will start by saying this movie was absolutely batsh** insane. It was filled right to the brim with continuous over the top bloody ridiculous action sequences that keep you on the edge of the seat and just amazed at what Is happening on screen. Now this film doesn't have much of a plot at all but seriously you're not going into this film for an intense plot, this is a film that almost didn't even need one at all. The one thing I was worried about going in was whether I needed to have seen the previous films to understand this one and thankfully you don't, the story is independent of the previous film which was really helpful.

The characters were all awesome and it did an amazing job to introduce them all almost instantly and get right into the action. Max (Tom Hardy? and Furiosa (Charlize Theron) were were great and extremely likable characters. Even the villain who I will just call Sweet Tooth was so great, he wasn't anything too special but was a great threat throughout the film.

I just absolutely loved this movie, intense action from start to finish and didn't slow down at all, that made it ridiculously fun to watch. The great characters and the performances are awesome on screen and we're always interesting to watch. If there was ever a Twisted Metal movie, this is what it would be. Nothing really let the film down and everything really worked, such a great time and the best cinema experience this year so far. - 10

Absolutely hated it

Author: Lorenz Gillisjans from Belgium
27 May 2015

I can't believe why people like this movie unless you're a fan of no-brainer action-packed movies without a story. 2 hours of non stop rubbish without dialogue. I was a fan of the original Mad Max and at first Tom Hardy seemed like a great actor for the role, but this movie didn't do him justice. He did well as Bane but he wasn't the star in this movie, almost like a support character. I almost fell asleep and left the theater because I can find better ways to waste my time. The only positive thing I can say is that the world looks great as well as the props. Good job on that George Miller. At least there's something good about it. The trailer was promising and since many people praised this movie, I gave it a shot. How can you watch this for a second time "to indulge in the deep content and story it provides". There was absolutely nothing in there. Yes beautiful woman, owned by a dictator who holds all the water and controls the people. Let's escape, make a diversion, trap him, beat the living hell out of him and return to be happily accepted as the new rulers. Hurray.

Mad Max? Nope, it's me who's mad!

Author: Nash M from Canada
9 June 2015

Absolute rubbish. This movie caters to 13-year olds (sorry 13-y olds, no offense). Skulls on the cars - cool (sorry, the correct spelling is KOOL)! Skull on the steering wheel - KOOL! Ordinary spears causing explosions every time they hit something - KOOL! Silly masks just for the sake of being silly - KOOL! Guy playing a flame-throwing guitar on a truck while chasing and everybody shooting - KOOL! Explosion - KOOL! Another explosion 1 sec later KOOL!!! And another one another second later - SUPER KOOL! You get the picture...

I walked out after 1hr 15min. Where to begin...? There was no sense in anything characters did. No character was likable, nobody to root for, no character to care for. They are all morons that can't speak English. Max (was it?) points to the cutter, then to the chain, then he grunts. How about saying "You, Blondie! Get those cutters over here and cut this chain!" There is NO SENSE in anything! First, they chase and capture this guy. Then they chain him to the front of the car while engaging in a deadly chase. When he finally breaks free, you would think he would make immediate allies with Charlize's characters as they seem to have the same enemy. But no! They fight and growl at each other. Then one of the girls who was running away from the bad guy wants all of a sudden to go back. Then they make friends with the silver-spray-mouth zombie/albino who was chasing them and trying to kill Furiosa! Yeah, poor thing had a rough childhood! I was bored to tears and upset that I paid for this piece of crap. When I walked out, it felt like I was under the water drowning and finally got to breath some air!

Want to lower your IQ? Watch this.

Author: Tristan Manley from United States
1 June 2015

It's troubling that a movie can be singularly focused on loud explosions and violence with no plot, dialogue, or character development, yet receive widespread critical acclaim. This is the first film I've ever seen that actually reminded me of the type the populace in Idiocracy would find enthralling.

To be clear, there are no redeeming qualities about this film. None. And I went in with pretty low expectations, figuring this would be some fun, mindless entertainment i.e The Expendables or any Jason Statham movie. The first few minutes weren't too bad: it looked cheesy, but it had potential. But then I realized that this movie is one long (boring) car chase...and that's it. Really. I mean it really was boring -- exactly what an action movie should not be. The car chases are all one and the same. After a few minutes, it just isn't exciting.

There is no story. The two leads drive to the middle of nowhere, then turn around. That's it. Two of the characters mention they are "looking for redemption" or some other trite nonsense, but the audience is never told why. Not that they'd care. Is the story about survival? At first you'd think so. Max mentions in the opening credits that he is a man reduced to one trait: survival. Yet at the film's end, when he finally has an opportunity to survive....he chooses not to? What? The movie was bad enough until this. Actually I forgot, there is an incredibly forced romance between two side characters that does nothing to further the story. This is a B movie with a big budget.

Likewise, there is essentially no dialogue, save a few grunts from Max and cringe-inducingly awkward lines from the rest.

There isn't any character development, but then again, the characters themselves resemble video game characters. There are no characters to develop, just two-dimensional avatars used for an excuse to show explosions.

So what is this film's targeted demographic? I'm not sure. I can imagine that if you are a 13-year old boy, really into cars/trucks/slipknot, pretty redneck, and probably a little slow, this movie may seem pretty cool. I mean it does have ridiculous cars/trucks outfitted with lots of weapons, spikes, flame-exhausts, (breast-milk?) and guys playing "cool" guitar riffs for no apparent reason. There's also lots of explosions and fighting. And scantily clad women. And tornadoes. And skulls. On top of all that, there is no need to pay attention to petty plot lines or dialogue in order to enjoy the film. Hell once they reach the desert, the movie repeats itself as the leads drive the truck back through the same place being chased by the same guys for no discernible reason.

The special effects aren't even that good. The whole movie looks fake. I know they went to great measures to avoid using CGI, but honestly, I thought I'd at least be impressed by the special effects, since clearly nothing was spent on anything else. And I'm not the kind of person who usually notices when CGI is used or not.

Truly awful. I would rate it lower if I could. The only recent movie that may have actually been worse that this was Lucy, which was also mind-numbingly stupid.

As the principal in Billy Madison once said, "everyone in this room is now dumber for having (watched) it." AVOID

visually beautiful but Boring action-action-action-no story movie

Author: Qahtan Jasim (qahtanaj_85@yahoo.com) from Iraq, Baghdad
5 June 2015

if you wanna go and see this movie, please expect nothing but frustrating, dazing, predictable outcome action, and then just when you think the movie is ending you get an extra 30-45 minutes of the same action same explosions, same cars and faces doing the same thing they did during the whole first half of the movie. Do not expect any engaging drama or any plot of any kind, but here's the story: post apocalypse, no water (yet there are hundreds of people alive and working), no fuel (yet they all have it in their vehicles), women escaping – women returning back the same day. What a plot! Visually it was stunning, but that's all you get.

Waste of time and money

Author: amazon-678-694449 from Chandler, AZ
29 May 2015

I saw the original mad max... it was violent, it had car battles, it had minimal character development. I had very realistic expectations going into the theater to see this new version.

Never have I been more disappointed with a movie. The acting on both leads parts was mediocre at best, with the male lead switching from being well spoken to being capable of nothing but grunting..

The story line seems to have been written and edited by remedial English students, the characters are unbelievable and seriously lack any character development, it has horrible motorcycle stunts... and guys bouncing back and forth on poles of all things.

and come on.. a flame-throwing guitar and fat women being milked for no explained reason to trade for gasoline to power the flame throwing guitar?... it's full of shitty clichés... badly cut scenes.. and lots of explosions.

Save your money see anything else and you will be better off.

Page 1 of 119:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]