IMDb > Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Max: Fury Road More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 100:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A masterpiece on a massive scale.

Author: sukhmanjitcheema (sukhmanjitcheema@hotmail.com) from United States
11 May 2015

George Miller returns with a bang and takes the helm of this crazy 2hr bonkers extravaganza named Mad Max: Fury Road. First of all, the stunts and action sequences are SPECTACULAR. Tom Hardy breaths life into Max Rockatansky and Charlize Theron is excellent and emotionally perfect as Furiosa. The story opens, with Immortan Joe who has young ladies as his wives, but he'll goes down when they escape the sadist's hands. Max, who has a violent past with Joe's cronies, decides to help Imperior Furiosa take the girls somewhere safe. Furiosa can't trust Max, and neither can he. So it all comes down to Joe's cronies fighting against them reaching to their destination. The movie is a bananas car chase for the runtime, as Max and Furiosa work together to fight against the evils. And then, there is Nux, a bonkers "really skin coloured" guy, who works with Joe, played well by Nicholas Hoult. The 3D really pays off, and is worth the extra ticket. The movie puts all other action movies of shame, the effects really pop out. Well, this is a definite masterpiece. One of the best movies of the year, one of the best action movies ever made and the role of Theron's life. Miller is truly a mastermind as stated clearly in the trailer. This exceeded my expectations, and will exceed yours as well. The dark style, dark comedy and the over the top characters make a return in this reboot. Must watch, and worth the extra IMAX 3D ticket.

An absolutely insane action film that will blow you away

Author: stephendaxter
13 May 2015

Mad Max Fury Road is George Miller's return to the franchise he started way back in 1979 with Mad Max. I will start by saying this movie was absolutely batsh** insane. It was filled right to the brim with continuous over the top bloody ridiculous action sequences that keep you on the edge of the seat and just amazed at what Is happening on screen. Now this film doesn't have much of a plot at all but seriously you're not going into this film for an intense plot, this is a film that almost didn't even need one at all. The one thing I was worried about going in was whether I needed to have seen the previous films to understand this one and thankfully you don't, the story is independent of the previous film which was really helpful.

The characters were all awesome and it did an amazing job to introduce them all almost instantly and get right into the action. Max (Tom Hardy? and Furiosa (Charlize Theron) were were great and extremely likable characters. Even the villain who I will just call Sweet Tooth was so great, he wasn't anything too special but was a great threat throughout the film.

I just absolutely loved this movie, intense action from start to finish and didn't slow down at all, that made it ridiculously fun to watch. The great characters and the performances are awesome on screen and we're always interesting to watch. If there was ever a Twisted Metal movie, this is what it would be. Nothing really let the film down and everything really worked, such a great time and the best cinema experience this year so far. - 10

Dark Yet Visually Exhilarating. Beautifully Brutal and Yet Still Visceral

Author: prospectus_capricornium from Philippines
13 May 2015

Even at the beginning, there's no hint MAD MAX: FURY ROAD is going to a stop. Right at the very start, the engines are already rewing, gathering furious fires of vengeance and redemption, and before the audience could snap out of the sheer moments of brutal grittiness and exhilarating high-octane drama, they are surely already held hostage within the confines of a post-apocalyptic world, where everything is horrendously scarce. Not that it's a bad thing, no it's not. I tell you, this is like being hurled into the space in a roller-coaster ride. It's dangerous, but it's also thrilling. Witnessing this dystopic world and all its hellish drama unfold might make you grope for seatbelt under your seat.

The film shares Max Rockatansky's (Tom Hardy) adventures. Max is an ex highway patrolman. He's been haunted by the past, by family he never saved. He meets the Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) who is being pursued by the dictatorial Wasteland leader "Joe". Furiosa reaches for Max for help in keeping the 'Five Wives'—women she brought with her—into safety, as Joe's deranged breed of warriors called The War Boys, that are barely humans, are raging across the desert to capture them. This pursuit throws the unlikely partners into the whalloping dangers of bloody escape, suddenly sending them into a game of survival.

After a rip-roaring opening chase sequence, Max is held captive in the Citadel, the city where the ruthlessly totalitarian leader "Joe" is ruling over. The grotesquely brutal lord maintains tight grip of every valuable resouces across the land. This brings the entire populace crippling under his control. As for Max, he becomes merely a blood bag for Nux (Nick Hoult) one of Joe's War Boys, who is a fatal devout to the cause of their fascist leader, who has promised them the glory of getting into Valhalla, the promised land.

Everything in this cinematic behemoth screams grandeur, even the feverish chase, even the dark erubescents spurred from the ruthless violence. Miller has molded a world where darkness is an escape from the stream of clichés and retreads, surging into the cinemas, today. It's a visual feast, but surprisingly, with sense. It's explosive in every unimaginable ways, but it's not devoid of a human story, which in this case, is propelled by stellar performances from incredible actors on the movie's payroll. Tom Hardy is utterly capable as the main hero, but the emotional spine of the narrative mostly runs on Theron's character. At some point, there would be a sense that Max isn't the only one playing under the spotlight, as it gets evident Furiosa is equally as massive as his role is. Hardy here is singularly stunning, playing his role with utmost credibility as he is required. His mission transcends past his emotional torments and he's never pulled himself free from the ghosts if his past. Same can be said with Furiosa, who is not only running from Joe because she wants to get herself free from his cut throat grip, but also to bring every woman into safety, back to freedom where they belong.

Much of the movie is spent with furious speed chases that goes from end to end of Joe's subjugated land, while also taking surprising twists and turns along the way. It's like it doesn't know how to stop, and if it does, that's surely only to allow us breathe and catch up with the next electrifying action setpiece. There's an enigmatic style Miller has employed to provide distinctions in his fantasy world, and it keeps the momentum in tack, if not ever progressing. The tone of the movie, all those vividly dark colors, that magically shifts from something to another, imparts a drowning experience, only it's enjoying and looks festive to the eyes. This makes every eye-squashing spectacles take mammoth forms of visual extravaganza, turning all those burning combustions, metal blasts, and endless pursuits, from mere technical marvels into a hair-raising escapade.

Amid these sanity-grabbing action sequences, though, is an emotional streak that keeps Max and Furiousa's humanity alive. This prompts them to survival, into carrying out their similar humane causes, clinging tightly to their only mission even if they get hurled into the barbaric hostilities of their dystopian society. This turns the movie into something visceral, cathartic in some ways that probably only a small fraction of the audience could understand. It will not be enough to merit this achievement with merely a splurge of superlatives. This needs to be experienced, felt, and forever cherished. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, ignites eternal fire, and it will keep burning through the stretches of cinematic history.

Superficial action movie that lacks depth

Author: Jethro Troll from United States
29 May 2015

I'm not completely sure what I was expecting from Fury Road, but it was more than this. This is the latest example of Hollywood rehashing a successful and good movie franchise solely for profit. It's mindless, repetitive action sequences melded between horrible acting and overused clichés.

One of the allures of this series is seeing the outlandish road vehicles that are used, and in this the movie mostly delivers. You have the high-powered Warrior Rig driven by Furiosa. There's battle vehicles equipped with spikes, rigs with counter-balanced poles for launching warriors into other vehicles, and there's even a vehicle equipped with large bass drums and a stack of speakers that would make KISS jealous with a psychotic guitarist wailing away for our musical enjoyment. And of course, each vehicle comes equipped with more explosive arsenal than a battle ship. And it's put to good use.

However, once you get past the eye candy, you realize there's nothing else to it. The story is weak. The characters are weaker. And the acting is the worst. The movie never drew me in. Not even close. Whenever the movie 'tried' to add depth and be dramatic, it was painful and embarrassing to watch. The scene where Furiosa reacts to finding out her birth home is gone by taking off her prosthetic arm and dropping down to her knees may be the worst movie scene I've ever watched. And it says something when the most interesting character is Nux, a relentless slave/warrior who actually has a mind of his own and decides to help Max and Furiosa in their quest. Of course, one of Immortan Joe's wives falls for him, representing one of the many poorly executed clichés this movie is riddled with.

I can watch a superficial action movie and enjoy it for what it is, to a point. This one, however, is just generally so poorly executed that it leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't hate it, but I have absolutely no desire to see it again.

On Par for Modern Hollywood Remakes (Meaning it Stinks)

Author: donaldthane
24 May 2015

First off, this is another movie in which the action sequences last so long that you can go to the bathroom, get a soda, come back and still find the same people fighting the same fights you saw begin 15 minutes earlier. Personally, these type of action movies bore me to tears, because the story has to stop moving every time we watch one of these extended action sequences. In terms of story, the good guys and the bad guys meeting is a plot point. Then they fight, then one of them wins. As an audience member, I'm ready to know who wins as soon as they start fighting. And I really need the lead characters to have some logical reasons for doing what they are doing.

Here's my spoiler: They drive away from someplace for half the movie and then decide to turn around and go back. The only thing that happened was that they picked up a gang of old ladies. That's as deep as it gets right there. They're running away, fighting the whole way, they get away and then they decide to go back, so they have to fight the whole way. Nothing makes much sense, no characters are anything but as shallow as they could have possibly been made. If you like Avatar, you'll like this movie. If you liked Mad Max and Road Warrior, you're going to be angry about how that franchise was exploited in name and setting only.

This character isn't Mad Max. He doesn't have a dog, he doesn't eat dog food, he doesn't eat anything. Nobody in the film ever eats anything. Nor are people clamoring for gasoline, they all just seem to have it. There's an issue with water, but it makes no sense and the entire weak plot seems to depend on it. The movie ends with giant water valves being opened just like the air valves on Mars get turned on in the end of that Governor Arnold movie, I can't remember the name. The reviews calling this something new and different are absolute hogwash. This is nothing but things blowing up and cars crashing for two hours, which, by the way, is another egregious offense of these silly movies. They take a 90 minute movie with a great story line, and they strip it of plot and somehow extend it by 30 minutes. It's a scary trend, the kind of thing that makes one think Idiocracy was prophetic. The less the story and the more things blow up, the higher the ratings. Ridiculous!

A blockbuster that dark, gritty, brutal and bloody? Right here.

Author: punishable-by-death from Australia
14 May 2015

I was left speechless when this finished. It can be hard to describe indeed.... but I'll go for it...

Sheer madness that isn't sullied by bad acting or laughable lines. A blockbuster that is gritty and doesn't have a sense of humour that could be equated to a fluffy kitten. No 'lets all hug' sentimental BS.

This is seriously a movie I thought I'd never see: a CGI-filled blockbuster that I flat out loved. The stunts are so much fun, the FX so great, it is the first movie I have seen where I have thoroughly enjoyed all this type of stuff - probably because the cinematography for once doesn't suffer cos of it. It is all incredibly shot.

The action is so brutal and appropriately high-octane. I thought to myself more than once, 'I think I am loving this more than Terminator 2' but other than that, there wasn't time to think. It kicked off fast and barely stopped, and the lulls were amplified by the insanity preceding them. Plus it is a dark film, which made it even better. I many people do an Aussie accent even close to well, was Hardy actually trying for that? Either way, he didn't talk much so it didn't really matter. This is more Theron's movie than Hardy's, he doesn't say much and does next to nothing for the first third or so. Theron's Furiosa is more of the hero is the story, if there were to be a hero in such a grisly and dark world.

I don't even like this type of movie but goddamn, the execution is everything. I'm gonna go see this again, soon. 4.5/5

www.epilepticmoondancer.net

This is what passes for a great movie nowadays?

Author: Ma_MaMia
3 June 2015

It's hard to believe that the same talented director who made the influential cult action classic The Road Warrior had anything to do with this disaster.

Road Warrior was raw, gritty, violent and uncompromising, and this movie is the exact opposite. It's like Road Warrior for kids who need constant action in their movies.

This is the movie. The good guys get into a fight with the bad guys, outrun them, they break down in their vehicle and fix it. Rinse and repeat. The second half of the movie is the first half again just done faster.

The Road Warrior may have been a simple premise but it made you feel something, even with it's opening narration before any action was even shown. And the supporting characters were given just enough time for each of them to be likable or relatable.

In this movie there is absolutely nothing and no one to care about. We're supposed to care about the characters because... well we should. George Miller just wants us to, and in one of the most cringe worthy moments Charlize Theron's character breaks down while dramatic music plays to try desperately to make us care.

Tom Hardy is pathetic as Max. One of the dullest leading men I've seen in a long time. There's not one single moment throughout the entire movie where he comes anywhere near reaching the same level of charisma Mel Gibson did in the role. Gibson made more of an impression just eating a tin of dog food.

In the previous movies, fuel and guns and bullets were rare. Not anymore. It doesn't even seem Post-Apocalyptic. There's no sense of desperation anymore and everything is too glossy looking. And the main villain's super model looking wives with their perfect skin are about as convincing as apocalyptic survivors as Hardy's Australian accent is.

Some of the green screen is very obvious and fake looking, and the CGI sandstorm is laughably bad.

There's no tension, no real struggle, or any real dirt and grit that Road Warrior had. Everything George Miller got right with that masterpiece he gets completely wrong here.

Absolutely hated it

Author: Lorenz Gillisjans from Belgium
27 May 2015

I can't believe why people like this movie unless you're a fan of no-brainer action-packed movies without a story. 2 hours of non stop rubbish without dialogue. I was a fan of the original Mad Max and at first Tom Hardy seemed like a great actor for the role, but this movie didn't do him justice. He did well as Bane but he wasn't the star in this movie, almost like a support character. I almost fell asleep and left the theater because I can find better ways to waste my time. The only positive thing I can say is that the world looks great as well as the props. Good job on that George Miller. At least there's something good about it. The trailer was promising and since many people praised this movie, I gave it a shot. How can you watch this for a second time "to indulge in the deep content and story it provides". There was absolutely nothing in there. Yes beautiful woman, owned by a dictator who holds all the water and controls the people. Let's escape, make a diversion, trap him, beat the living hell out of him and return to be happily accepted as the new rulers. Hurray.

Great non-stop action

Author: Leo Foster from United States
13 May 2015

Great film, so fast-paced it makes every other film out there look slow and old-fashioned. Wonderful to see George Miller back on the Australian road, where he belongs. Charlize Theron is great, Tom Hardy is not bad, but the stunts are really where the film shines. It's hard to think of a better action road movie. It has all the intensity and perversity of the MAD MAX and THE ROAD WARRIOR, but amped up to new heights of craziness. Miller is the real star of the film -- in some ways technology seems to have finally caught up with his early hyperactive camera style, and he takes full advantage of the ability to move wherever he wants, however he wants.

What a Lovely Day!

Author: shayanarshad from London, England
12 May 2015

What a Lovely Day and What a Lovely Movie! This is just beyond expectations! There is nothing easy or predictable about what George Miller delivers with Mad Max: Fury Road, a stone-cold action master class, beautiful and brainy and startling in the ways it throws off the current definition of the blockbuster. There is gargantuan excess here, to be sure - and no shortage of madness - but there is also an astonishing level of discipline. Come for the blistering, full-tilt action, stay for the thought-provoking consideration of the post-apocalypse. The world of Mad Max has always been welded together from bits of whatever was lying around, and the films' brilliance has always been in their welding - the ingenious ways in which their scrap- metal parts were combined to create something unthinkable, hilarious or obscene, and often all three.

Page 1 of 100:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]