IMDb > The Hunger Games (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 198: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]
Index 1972 reviews in total

Awfully boring to the core

Author: erictyz from Malaysia
24 March 2012

My first review..

This movie is really boring and has no substance...awful! Camera shaky all the time..I don't know why the camera always zoom to the head,face and everything too focus on faces...hardly see any full body of the characters. No scenery,only forest and non violent or action that can be describe as thrilling. The fashion and make up of certain characters are awful. I have lost interest to follow this movie,thought of leaving the theater but my curiosity of how bad this movie is, made me stay on. I won't be interested if there are two more chapters to go. I felt I've been cheated by some reviews that glorify this movie before I decided to see it. I give it -minus o

Trust me,it's just plain awful, trash of the year 2012,hope this be a flop big time,don't bother reading the book too if it's what shown in this movie,to all people involve,please jump from the tallest building,don't ever make any movies,I'm so damn angry being cheated...I never write reviews or good in comment or story telling but I have to warn people about this super smelly trash!!

Bad Remake Of A Japanese Masterpiece

Author: baron_genitalstrassen from Gerst
21 March 2012

I was lucky to see The Hunger Games at a pre-screening a few hours ago. It completely blew me and the whole room away and i dare to say it will do so to 90% of any audience anywhere. The remaining 10%, who always finds something to complain about, will whine about character development, dialog, story or the pop-corn.

Well, let me tell you: they went to this movie with the wrong expectations.

So WHAT should you expect from The Hunger Games??? Revolutionary film-making, more of grandiose new ideas, more of never-before-seen special effects, more of 150 minutes without relapsing, more of the Suzanne Collins genius...

I am very happy that the trailers didn't give the full story away. Lots of emotions are waiting for the viewer, laughter and tears also. Lionsgate was very smart keeping the teasers as teasers, nothing more... as the full movie will take your breath away.

You will practically not notice that you are watching a non-existing world, it is sooo real. Attention to detail is superb. You computer geeks will know what I am talking about. This move was not rushed in the making. No wonder it could not have been done before - not having the proper computing power.

Where to begin! The visuals in this pieces was groundbreaking. Performances are good, but this is not the sort of film that dwells on big star value for the actors, although Jennifer Lawrence does shine and delivers a very convincing performance, as do the rest of the cast.

Suzanne Collins is a visionaire - and again, she delivers, with full blast.

A certain character says in the movie that Panem, (a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts, where the story takes place) became his real world. My advice to you: let Panem become YOUR real world for two and a half hours, let it make you completely forget about your life and problems, let it entertain you, move you, let it carry you away.

Because THAT is what I expect as an exchange for my ticket.

And a few hours ago I got tens of tickets worth of that.

A bad copy of Battle Royale

Author: asdasd sdfsdf
23 April 2014

A highly americanized version of Battle Royale, with essentially the same impossible happy ending. Capitol's aesthetics, which I find close to Alice in Wonderland's Red Queen (especially that pathetic Effie Trinket), contribute to the childish ambiance of the film. A contrast that, rather than increasing the dramatic power of the film, gives off a typical American smell.

The use of Holocaust films aesthetics in the Districts scenarios is, for my taste, another proof of lack of imagination, of narrative consistency.

However, the great work of Jennifer Lawrence (in contrast with other characters) and the resources of Hollywood can make this film an acceptable piece of entertainment.

It's Battle Royale...In PG-13!

Author: dmhughes-448-695102 from United States
14 August 2012

Alright, I'm going to be honest. I thought this film was going to be terrible. I really did. I've read all the books, and I thought they were okay, but not really worth all the hype. Then I saw the film, and I was blown away. This was one of the best films of 2012, and I cannot wait for the sequels to come out, although I am a little upset that they're splitting Mockingjay into two films! Oh, and by the way, there is a film just like this one; it came out 10 years ago, was called Battle Royale, and it was better than this, even though this film was excellent.

The film takes place in a dystopia future, where the world was destroyed by an unknown event. The area that survived, now called Panem (North America), is now split into 12 districts, all ruled by The Capitol. We find out that the districts attempted to overthrow the capital, but they were defeated, resulting in the destruction of District 13. Now, for the past 74 years, two citizens of each district; a boy and a girl, all between the ages of 12 and 18, are sent to die in a tournament called the Hunger Games. The last person standing receives a lifetime of fame and fortune, and the district reaps the benefits. This film follows 16-year old Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) of District 12, an expert archer, who volunteers to take her younger sister's place in the games. Her partner, Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), is a baker, and they come with a strategy of pretending to fall in love with each other in order to look good and get help from the outside world during the games. They are guided by Haymitch (a great Woody Harrelson), a drunkard who is the only surviving winner from District 12 (only two from the district have ever won).

They head for the Capital, and are trained, and they meet the other tributes. Here is the movie's biggest flaw; most of these characters actually had bigger parts in the book. Here, they run around and get killed off. Only Rue from District 11 is given any substantial screen time, but it's still not enough. President Snow (Donald Sutherland) is the wicked leader of the totalitarian Capital, and he doesn't want District 12 to win, because it results in the poorer districts (9, 10, 11, 12), to stand up and want to rebel again. The games are overseen by Seneca Crane (Wes Bentley) and the Gamemakers, who add new obstacles in order to make the games exciting. Those two were barely in the first book, so their larger part in this film is very welcome.

Eventually, our two heroes work together to try and win, and I won't spoil anything else. This was a very well done film. The actors are great, especially Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman and Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. The effects are all well done, and the cinematography, which I heard people didn't like, is also pretty good. Director Gary Ross (who sadly isn't directing the next film) did a great job translating the book to the big screen, and it was a success. Hope the sequels are as good as this. "May the odds ever be in your favor".

Final Verdict: 8/10

Similarity between movies

Author: gaklinkja from United States
1 April 2012

Does this movie remind you of another? It did for me. Russel Crowe had fantastic performance in that movie, Gladiator. Even though both movies are centuries apart, they have similar ideas. 1. showmanship. you win the crowd, you win your freedom. similar ideas. i would prefer to watch a new idea,theme,entertaining aspect than watch a movie with the same idea as a movie that depicts the same thing. 2. i agree with someone who said studios should remove the person who used the technique of shaking a camera. i would like to always see what is happening, not blurs and fuzzy images. during fight scenes,the camera shakes like an earthquake is happening. it even shakes in the first ten minutes, like someone is extremely nervous. get rid of the people who shake cameras, and bring back the people who want to deliver a quality film that the audience can see without getting headaches. oh, the falling action is short.

Stealing from Japan. Again.

Author: Clément Lelong from Canada
27 March 2014

Battle Royal, the Japanese wonder from which "author" Suzanne Collins stole the plot to "write" 'The Hunger Games', was nothing short of a unique piece of art in a sometime dull cinema industry. It was refreshing, brilliantly played, and even had Takeshi Kitano in it.

And then came the cash cow makers, yearning for fast-money franchise. Makes sense though, you wouldn't work for the lesser salary either. Their job is to make huge profits, and this usually comes with a total absence of feeling. Fair enough!

But 'Hunger Games', really... It is the diet version of entertainment. A terrible actress to begin with. And if you have seen American Hustle or the recent X-Men movies, you know it is not ready to change. Jennifer Lawrence has no acting, no understanding of her roles, and to be true, millions out there are still trying to make sense with her Oscar...

Then come the Art Direction... Again, no creativity, everything being taken from more glorious creators from the past. Make-up just looks like Ziggy Stardust had more offspring than we thought. Costumes look like 'The Shindler List' VERY unfortunately met 'Zoolander' with a failed attempt to "Jean-Paul Gaultier" the overall look. And let's not talk about the boring settings... Even if creativity rides along with inspiration, there is a huge step between referencing and raiding. This is clearly the latter.

And yet, there is ONE beacon of hop amidst all this terribly annoying waste of time: the next 'Hunger Game' movie. Stanley Tucci alone gives more credit to the franchise than any other previous actors. Then of course Philip Seymour Hoffman and Julianne Moore. Obviously. Let us just hope that the mediocrity that transpired through the first movies will be washed away by this brilliant cast.

Horrible Ripoff

Author: Michael Abinader from Hollywood
11 March 2013

Although this movie wasn't particularly bad, it's unfortunate that its a complete copy and ripoff of the Japanese movie Battle Royale, which is unfortunate as it was rumored that Battle Royale was going to be remade into an American Film. However, that can't happen anymore as all these little girls will think its copying the Hunger Games when in fact BR came out in 2001. The author of the books should be ashamed of herself and BR should seriously sue the production company for lost potential profit. Hunger Games is a watered down mainstream version of BR and horror fans everywhere will be disappointed that it will never get the chance to be remade, it had true potential to be an extremely disturbing film. Suzanne Collins should be sued, and this issue should be brought to light.

Blends of BATTLE ROYALE, TWILIGHT, etc

Author: heatherderringer from Dunkirk
26 June 2014

How is movie about teenagers battling to the death not going to actually show any of the killing?! I paid more attention to it the second time watching and realized that every time someone dies the movie goes silent and cuts away. There is actually only one killing death shown, and it's by accident. The movie did do a good job at not making that noticeable, but it's still a big flaw. And also, why do the tributes have to be teenagers? There was no explanation to that at all. I hope the book explained that somewhat. I thought the end of the tournament was ridiculous. First there could only be one winner, then they announce there can be two, then psych, there can only be one, and then the last two are going to commit suicide, so the government decides two is fine again. If you want to see a far superior movie with practically the same plot then watch Battle Royal. It's subtitled, but it's mostly action anyway so that's not a big deal.

More twilight than Battle Royale

Author: erwin-smolders from Belgium
23 July 2013

I have never felt so cheated by a film in my life. This film was advertised as America's answer to Battle Royale. This was a unique opportunity to ponder a dystopian future society, where children are being forced to fight to the death as a means of keeping the population in check. A chilling, thought-provoking concept, which the producers of this film didn't bother to take seriously.

You see, halfway through the film I realized I was watching twilight, not Battle Royale. The real plot: Jennifer Lawrence can't decide between Liam Hemsworth and the albino kid. That's it. That's the story. The rest is just dressing. The Hunger Games is cashing in on Twilight's success, a product to be force-fed to a target audience.

It's a sick world we live in, where children being made to kill each other serves as a back-story to a love-triangle. Hollywood has no shame, and clearly no imagination. This "film", for lack of a better word, is nothing but cheap exploitation, an insult to your intelligence.

Unnecessary BATTLE ROYALE Remake

Author: Raghavibaggy-Drawers from Islamabad
25 July 2014

Even though i went in to the movie pretending i was watching an entirely original movie, this remake was awful. The plot was ALMOST the same as Battle Royale, but they changed things that shouldn't have changed but kept small things exactly the same. The ending was a "Twilight" type ending to please the investors. Sutherland i usually love his acting but in this movie he was almost like a cartoon character villain. Ross also underemphasizes the blood and gore. The fight scenes almost look all way too choreographed. Overall the plot changed made the movie less believable for me and ending definitely was a way of "satisfying" the producer, as it is revealed you need to pay for three or four more movies if you want to see what they do with Battle Royale 2's plot line, but dammit, i wanted my money's worth.