IMDb > The Hunger Games (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 198: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]
Index 1971 reviews in total

A Twilight take on Battle Royale

Author: Cinema Scholar from Australia
6 April 2012

Well, it seems that everything has been said already. The film and the book it was based on adapted the premise of a great Japanese film/book called Battle Royale, without ever giving it credit for the original idea.

Despite knowing this beforehand, I still went to see the film expecting something decent. I was quite disappointed when I walked out. For a film that was supposed to be all about teen violence, there seemed to be very little violence in the film. The few scenes depicting violence were toned down and lacked gore.

Perhaps good character development could save this, but, sadly, there was hardly any. All the dialogues seemed forced and monotonous. I was hoping to see the characters converse with each other, but all I saw was actors reading their lines. I like feeling emotions during films, but short of sadness of knowing I just spent $20 and wasted 2.5 hours of my life, I can't remember feeling any.

The only memorable scene for me was the return of the film's heroine to her district, however it was for all the wrong reasons. It struck me as odd that the boy who liked her was all smiles, despite seeing his love interest make out with some nerf herder on the big screen.

My advice is to wait until you can rent this for $2, and even then, only if you really want to see it for yourself. Otherwise, buy a nice Blu-Ray of Battle Royale and see how The Hunger Games should have been made.

6/10 (1 point added out of my respect for Woody Harrelson)

copy and paste of a movie

Author: webster422 from United States
1 April 2012

I didn't read the book and I don't think I will bother. What is the movie industry doing to themselves? I'm I just getting to old for pg 13 movies? No.I'm getting over the lame, mundane,repetitious formula, the movie industry has continues to vomit all over us. First of all the movie was sooooooo boooorrrrriiiinnnngggg. The first hour is nothing more than edits of nice costumes and set design. Character development story put me to sleep. Finally the last 45 minutes gets to the point, you know "the hunger games" point. The action scenes are predictable which seems like something out of terra nova or some bad sci fi channel show. Over hyped.

Another Rip-Off from an Asian film

Author: ken_martin-932-430106 from Abu Dhabi
7 April 2012

Have just been browsing thru reviews for Battle Royalle and i chance upon this review and Yes, Hollywood did make a watered down version, lame.

"A film (Battle Royalle) that the US, would never, could never make...", 15 September 2001

Author: Henry Postan from London, England This film is film that I believed had to be made, and it was only a matter of time before it was. Yet it was a film that the US mainstream could never have conceived making.

Firstly to get it out of the way I will say that I loved this movie, although at no point did I feel comfortable while watching it. It had the power and emotional content, that while not necessarily apparent in the dialogue was visible on screen at all times.

I am truly glad that this film has come out of mainstream Japanese cinema. It would have only been made in the US by independent film- makers who would have basked in the glory of its controversy and felt oh-so-smug that they had created it, while shoving a moral in your face. While I actually have no problem with US Indie film I do feel that a Western background would have comprised on visceral content, and upped the content of cheap moral points.

For those who say the violence was "cartoon-style" and laughable must have been watching a different film. Whilst this film is heavy in black humour I can clearly say that the deaths are shocking in the extreme, and there is no relenting from the beginning to the end. Only occasionally does the camera pan away from the final deed. The only deaths that have a dark humour content to them, are those involving Kitano (Beat Takeshi) and the "lone" vigilante (those who have seen the film will know what I am talking about). Other sections, such as the "Training Video" are equally comedic, and absurd. Yet other deaths are shocking in the extreme, and show how the slightest suspicion can have disastrous consequences for groups that only have trust to keep them together, a truly shocking scene in the Lighthouse reinforces this.

The fact that this film employs Children as the main protagonists of the story is the key to the whole impact of the film. We have all seen films like The Running Man where adults fight adults for survival and it seems that much less shocking, albeit that film was handled in a completely different manner. Children have the innocence that makes the brutality of this film that much more shocking, adults in the same situation would have had the reaction from audiences of cheering at the screen as the hero dispatches yet another victim. This could never and would never have been the case with this film.

To another commentator who felt that this film sticks with you less than Scream, I simply fail to find this to be anywhere close to the truth. The deaths in Scream although bloody are nothing but pastiche of those films that Scream is mimicking, ultimately throwaway deaths that up in brutality in order to out-do the last one that have one or two psychotic perpetrators, who eventually get their comeuppance. In this film their are no victims and besides one exception there are no villains amongst the children. They simply HAVE to play the game or die.

Well I encourage all those who feel they can stomach it to go and see this film or find it available somewhere (as I believe it has been banned in the US). It is not truly a film denouncing the evils of Reality TV or showing us the future of that trend of Broadcasting, that is merely a plot device to place the children in this situation. The nature of the film lies in its deconstruction of Friendships, Trust and our views on Innocence. Go and see it not as a spectator of this BR spectacle but as one of the participants and remember what was important to you when you were at school, and whether any of those rivalries, hatreds and friendships would have been enough for you to decide who deserves to die and who deserves to live.

utterly disappointed and dumbfounded

Author: brett_denier from Australia
31 March 2012

well what can be said about such a pleasurable book to read and then what a disappointment this movie was.

i took my partner to watch this movie after we have both read the book, ( which we did in 2 days as it drew us in the more that we read), and from the start we were both eagerly anticipating watching this movie and for the first 30 min of it we were both sitting there pointing out crucial parts that had been left out of the plot that would explain so much and give a more in depth view of the characters, but we did decide to persevere and see what they had in store for us once the arena started up, but yet again we were both sitting there watching and waiting for the movie to draw us back into the world of panam and make us feel like we were there watching it from a first account, but instead we noticed again things being left out and and also more than anything us both becoming bored and looking at our phones thinking when is this disaster going to end.

Let me finish this up with something for the script writers and directors of this movie, if you take a successful book and make such a pitiful adaption in a movie as you have remember that all the great movies where all made with the best of details and all the information that could be put in from the book was put into the movie, made them a success and made people want to see the next movie, so try putting in more information about your lead characters so that we can get to know them and feel we are watching something enjoyable.

me and my partner ended up leaving this movie after an hour as we couldn't possibly sit and watch anymore as it was all flying along and you lost track of things and just couldn't connect with the characters that makes anyone feel as though they are part of the movie, such a waste and disappointment that i hope for everyones sake that you do not have anything to do with another movie again.

Battle Royale minus humor plus cheese

Author: JWJanneck from United States
5 August 2012

I do not know the book this movie is based on, but I sincerely hope that it is much better (and have been told that it is) than its adaptation. As it stands, the movie is a PG13 version of Battle Royale, with a hint of Running Man, a touch of Truman Show, minus any irony or humor, with a lot less gore (to keep it PG13 no doubt), and a lot more cheese.

The one thing that might have set it apart from its many predecessors would have been the political and social background story which is hinted at in the brilliant but short performances of Tucci and Banks, but gets drowned out by the tedious, incoherent, and unconvincing attempts at action and cheesy teenage romance of the Twilight variety.

Even though the "action" is clearly intended to carry the movie, given the amount of time devoted to it, it is largely vapid PG13-type stuff, where the heroine MacGyvers her way out of a tight corner by dropping a hive of waspy insects onto her assailants --- who, in spite of being in a fight for their lives, guard her, and themselves, by collectively taking a nap at the foot of the tree their opponent is trapped in. Common sense isn't the strength of any of the contestants, which gallivant unguardedly and noisily through woods they know to be full of people out to kill them, and spend quite a bit of time publicly (and noisily) emoting when disagreeable stuff happens. Gimmicks abound, many of which easily predictable as they are introduced hamfistedly one by one during the preparation and training phase.

Movie making is a business, and much of the revenue comes from young people, and there is every reason to believe that this movie is successfully catering to their tastes and preferences. Unfortunately for the rest of us, this means that all the interesting commentary on our own lives and societies that the source material might have contained is only a small subtext to a teenage drama that has been done before, better, sharper, and more convincing. The scenes with Tucci (equipped with dental enhancements that accentuate everything he does) and Banks (also in magnificent costume) are the highlights of this film, degrading the main action to mere filler for the teens. Unfortunately, for more than two hours, that's just not enough.

watch Battle Royale instead

Author: pacoulen
13 August 2013

This is could easily be a copy of Battle Royale for children. I do not understand why the author of the books would copy so blatantly an outstanding book/film and turn it into this. The Japanese film(which is also based on a book) is absolutely shocking an breathtaking. If you have not seen it yet, please do.

Nonetheless, hunger games is a watchable teen movie. I don't understand why they had to repeat some scenes over and over at the beginning. Its a long film with not much action. The ending seems rushed and very much predictable.

It could be worse. But has been better, in Japanese.

I know Hollywood is bad..but this is beyond anything I have imagined

Author: Asproiu Liviu
27 March 2012

I am a person that kinda likes teenage movies. So I am not so critical about them as other people are. But this..this is... I don't think I am allowed to say the exact words that describe what this movie is about.

For the persons that have not read the books this may be tolerable, but lots of things are just thrown in there without any explanation as of why. For the people that read the book, it is your opinion and I respect it, but how can you say that this is a faithful adaptation, or that the changes made don't alter the story? We might have read other books, or you have read them more in the past than me, but I can name two incredibly big alterations that affect the story hugely in my opinion:

1. Where in the movie is explained that Katniss doesn't love Peeta and all was manufactured ant the big fight an break-up..instead they are portrayed as actually in love..yes clearly follows the book by the letter..did not change the understanding of the viewer at all over the story

2. Peeta lost his leg in the books... again extremely not important..at all

And I don't even want to go into the small details left out. I understand that the pace in the book is quick and cannot be covered in 2 hours..but make the movie longer you have completely changed the tone and feelings that it must arise.

As a final recap..if you never read the books, you might like this movie. If you have... please don't see it, you will never forgive yourself.

a total waste of time.

Author: storm_gma from Greece
3 April 2012

The P13 rating ruined the movie. I haven't read the books but from the plot I expected a lot of killing and adventure. When I came out of the cinema, I couldn't understand what I saw. Was it a love story? No! Was it an adventure? No! Was it a thriller? No! Was it a splatter movie? No! Maybe a Sci-Fi? No! Only drama can (poorly) describe this movie. The biggest drama though is the 2,5 hours I spent.

The direction was one of the worst i've ever seen and you read that from a guy who enjoys almost any kind of movie, even with bad ratings on IMDb. This one was really bad. A lot of pointless camera shaking and at some points it was even out of focus!

I liked the actors. Jennifer Lawrence was awesome in my opinion.

Thank god I watched the movie with 50% discount on the ticket!

Conclusion: awful movie. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone to watch it.

American film.... what happened

Author: souldrinker73 from United States
5 April 2012

I read the book years ago and loved it. Now after watching the film I am certainly disappointed. This film is a cookie cutter thriller at best. Save your money and don't watch this; just read the book. The film is similar to the Alice and wonderlands most recent adaptation; the visuals are great, but the story is butchered. I mean love is nice, yet I find myself more entertained by the notion of it when its focus is more than skin deep. Yet, there is no love put into this film it is entirely focused on entertaining your peripheral and lacks substance in dialogue and explanation as well as some of the story being altered in presentation from a book to movie. This may have to do with having a pg-13 rating. I am sure Ms.Collins is more disappointed with the out come than I. Just don't bother disappointing yourself and stay home when you find the urge to see this in theaters.

Truman Show meets Battle royal

Author: tjrmmm-1 from United States
7 April 2012

I would say the only thing that saves this movie is the acting.Jennifer Lawrence and surprisingly a great performance by Woody Harrelson .Story is predictable .It is like watching bits of ripped off story lines from other movies.From the opening scene from the coal miners daughter ,parts from The Running Man .Robin Hood ,Truman show .This story is just a bunch of other better movies compressed into on Disney like Battle royal.It might be a good thing that Gary Ross will not direct the next movie .This movie had a lot of potential but it fell short of what it could have been.There is no connections with the characters .You do not care about who lives and who dies .