IMDb > The Hunger Games (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 198: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]
Index 1980 reviews in total

miserable adaptation of a terrific read

Author: CheeryToes (peggik@bellsouth.net) from Jax, FL
2 April 2012

(spoilers abound) My daughter read the first book after I had read all three and we went to the movie yesterday. I don't know where to start with how disappointed I was. There was little to no character development. You don't understand the bond between Katniss and Peeta - you don't like Josh Hutcherson - terrible terrible casting there. I was excited with Cinna's casting, but they don't show what an important part of her life he becomes in a short time or even the three who make her over. The arena scene was limp ...all the gripping emotional struggles she goes through, are virtually left out. Things that are important are changed...the Mockingjay pin's origin, for instance. The (spoiler)animals at the end with the horrible eyes of the dead. The Mockingjays don't SING they whistle. The thing about Mockingjays is they talk in the voice of the speaker. They would have sung Rue's song. From the initial shaky camera work to the casting, to the last scene...I did NOT like this movie. Terrible disappointment as far as I'm concerned. If you love the books, you'll go see the movie, just be prepared to dislike it. In fact, parts of it at the beginning, well, practically the first hour and a half are terribly slow and boring.

Waste of time

Author: Ashok Kumar
31 March 2012

This is really a junk movie after a long time seeing in Hollywood (after some of the Harry Potter series :)). The first 30-45 minutes is giving lots of hype, but the other 65% is real waste of time - the concept is little fine but not that great for the hype given; the cinematography has actually spoiled the entire movie. Real thanks to the camera man and the editor for that (I think they took real effort to shake the picture). I don't understand why the camera had shaken all the time for all chasing and fighting scenes. I'd a real head-ache after watching this movie. For sure it's not a worthy movie compare to movies like Narnia, Harry Potter first 5 parts.

Please don't waste your time

Author: lara-332-934018 from United States
1 April 2012

Because of all the hype surrounding this movie I decided to go see it at the local cinema and was I ever disappointed. This has to be one of the worst movies ever made. The dialogue in this movie is just awful as is the scenery and filming. The acting is amateurish and unbelievable. The scenes of violence and killing was so horribly done it was all blurry almost like watching with oil in your eyes

I walked out of the cinema before this movie ended I just couldn't allow myself to be abused like this.

So if you are planning on seeing this movie please don't, it would more fun watching paint dry.

Wait till you have reached the right age to watch Battle Royale and leave this one alone

Author: danweetz from Germany
27 March 2012

I was really looking forward to seeing Hollywoods version of the awesome Battly Royale. I know, the author of the book says she had never heard of it before but I am sure the guys in Hollywood were pretty much influenced by it. I enjoyed the first half of the film, getting more into the societies structure and getting info about the games was a good choice, maybe spending half the film outside the battle was a bit much though. On the other hand, the second half totally sucked. The battle was without any believable emotions, character development suddenly stopped and everything came down to a couple of action sequences centered on one person rather than showing emotions and complex interaction of the many. Also, the actual cruelty of these games was not portrayed appropriately. All these things made Battle Royale a greater film and rendered this one a waste of time for me since I have seen it in a much better way before.

Just OK

Author: petermichow
21 March 2012

I saw this at a preview screening and having never read the books I was unaware what all the fuss is about. Now having just seen the film, I am still unaware what all the fuss is about..

The central story concerns a future society where 12 areas (or Districts) have been locked down under police guard and wire fences, after they have held a rebellion against the state at some point. In punishment for this rebellion and for rising up against said state; they have to provide 2 kids between 12-18 (tributes) each year to fight in 'The Hunger Games' -a no holds-barred death match tournament, in which there can be only one winner.

This is televised round the world and can be manipulated depending on how the action is heating up and who the audience's favourites are (similar to a certain Arnie movie). We follow a girl / woman from District 12, who volunteers to take her younger sister's place in the tournament, after she had been selected and didn't want to go. She travels to the capital with another boy from the district and there they begin extensive training ready for the games to begin. I won't go into any more detail without wishing to spoil the other parts of the story but once the tournament starts - there begins a love story, various double crossing and in a brilliant stand-out scene; a hilarious disguise that even Andy Mcnab or Bear Grylls in their special forces days would not have been able conjure up..

The acting is OK, but the dialogue seems pretty trite and the future-scape and costumes, look like someone has just watched a combination of Equilibrium and the 5th Element over and over and over and over again (Having not read the book I don't know whether these costumes were accurate to that?). The main issue is that the violence is fairly none existent due to the intended teenage audience, therefore surely losing any power about the wrongs of such a tournament? If you're trying to make a point about violence being glorified in the media or a tournament, to water it down or even worse allow the viewer to 'escape' this horror just seems pointless.

The kids are all good looking and clean cut, some of whom are slightly annoying but are given no back-story in the film. So aside from our two heroes you really don't have any vested interest in seeing them survive and obviously because you don't really see any of them die it just doesn't seem that meaningful and they appear to just be making up the numbers.

Overall we all know it's going to make loads of money because there is a die-hard faithful chomping at the bit to see it...but I just didn't get it.

It's a very good looking but ultimately fairly empty film. I won't go down the Battle Royale route but obviously they are incredible similar, so make up your own mind about whether this has been 'influenced' by that.. but I do feel this has been done better and on a lower budget before.

Shame on Gary Ross.

Author: johnmoneykoh from america
15 May 2012

I watched the movie, expecting it to be terrible. All mainstream cult movies have been terrible so far, with the exceptions of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings and George Lucas' Star Wars(the old version). Well, it really lived up to my expectations. Here are the Pros and Cons of The Hunger Games.

Pros:

It made a lot of money.

Cons:

The camera work was terrible. It hurt my eyes the whole time. It felt like the cameraman was dancing. For Saving Private Ryan, it worked. For The Hunger Games, it didn't.

The Acting was terrifying. Especially Prim. She started crying every five seconds. And who's ever heard of a good Josh Hutcherson movie?

The Storyline. Not the actual storyline, but how it was explained in the movie. If you didn't read the book, you didn't understand half the things. Also, the beginning felt like it was already 20 minutes into a movie.

The Special Effects. I have no idea what they were doing, but the fire dress looked unbelievably bad. The special effects could have passed as a SyFy original movie.

The Pg-13 rating. This movie should have been rated R. Just to make more money, Gary Ross made the cameraman dance every time somebody died just to not show the blood or gore. It should have been R. At least he could take out the blood and improve the camera work.

Its soundtrack. This is kinda biased, because I never liked James Newton Howard. All the themes had the same feel and mood. Howard Shore, Hans Zimmer, or James Horner could have done a much better job.

Its emotional parts. It really wasn't emotional at all. Partially because of the soundtrack.

Its costume design. The white uniforms looked pretty darn bad. And the people in the Capital. I understand that the Capital fashion is unique, but it's completely overdone.

Jennifer Lawrence. She wasn't hot enough.

Gary Ross ruined his reputation(At least for me) with The Hunger Games. Even Seabiscuit was better. At the time I wrote this review, The Hunger Games had a 7.6 rating. Completely overrated. Hopefully, Christopher Nolan, Ridley Scott, and Peter Jackson will make some good movies this year.

Crap..

Author: JamezOrion from Sweden
24 May 2014

This is pure commercial violence entertainment for kids or people that are not able to appreciate or understand anything else then American movies that are absolutely free from trying to understand this world in a deeper level. The characters are completely blank and impossible to figure out what's in their minds, the whole idea is boring and stupid. I just don't know how this film could have a Metascore of 67 (2014-05-24), the reviewers here are uneducated and with no sense of what art and truth is. These kind of films should not have been made, it is just poisoning our world in every way, mentally and environmentally. The minimum length for reviews is 10 lines of text. The minimum length for reviews is 10 lines of text. The minimum length for reviews is 10 lines of text.

suck bad.

Author: kurt cooks from United States
23 August 2012

why watch people running around for an hour or a lot of bad acting for the first hour?? i see a lot of people saying its a pretty a rip off of battle royale and i have to say it's. battle royale made it seem real and the way the cast where in battle royale is good. it show what you can get people (in both movie case) teens to do to each other to live. and anyone who thinks stuff like this won't happen or don't happen. then you are blind to the fact it do. read a book in history and it tell you how far people well go to live. hell look at the news. school shooting and all that.

with all that said i say watch other movies with the same theme like battle royale the running man.

Incredibly shallow

Author: caseyx from Netherlands
10 April 2012

To start off I have to admit to not knowing the books and the characters in the story but this can often be a good thing. You come in without any expectations and hopefully be pleasantly surprised by the storyline, direction, acting, action and or something else.The only thing that surprised me here that I was planning to leave the viewing before the end. The chemistry between the actors was terrible. You could not connect to the characters because there was no real human element to connect to. If the book is really that appealing, then this has to be a huge disappointment. There have been references to Twilight because of the "teen" appeal. And surely the twilight series could be a lot better than what we've seen. But at least there is a cast you can sort of connect to. Try and imagine that these young people are really fighting for their lives and check that with what you feel looking at this movie. What is a real shame is that something as bad as this is getting box office rewards and really enjoyable films (maybe not brilliant) are past by.

If I had known what I was going to see I certainly would've stayed away. You will not be seeing me at the sequel!

Could have been so much better...

Author: johnschulz66 from United States
28 March 2012

I have a lot of problems with this movie. First off, I never read the books and didn't really know anything about this movie going in. I had heard the basic premise that kids were going to be fighting to the death in some game controlled by a fascist, totalitarian state and it intrigued me. This sounded like a smart, sci-fi that should reveal something about how we glorify violence or give our government too much power or something. I expected to be enlightened, at least to some degree. Let's start with the good. Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic as Katniss, our reluctant heroine. Her performance was one of the few things that kept me from walking out of the theater. The plot's kind of interesting, I guess. It kept me awake. Now on to the bad. The movie has no idea what it's trying to be. It tries to show us how horrible the government is, but I never really seemed to notice anything that made them look bad aside from the games. It tries to be an action flick, but no action occurs until the last hour or so when the games start. And even then, the camera is so jerky and the director cuts so often it's hard to tell exactly what is happening. I couldn't tell whether the screenplay was awful or the production because I found it very hard to care for anyone in this story. We're supposed to feel bad for Katniss and her sister, but we never really see anything that shows how horrible her life is. There are a couple of moments later where we get a glimpse into her terrible past, but I couldn't find any time to care because they jumped quickly past this and and went right back to the slaughtering of children. Oh yeah, speaking of slaughtering children, why was this movie PG-13? This is a very R-rated story, but I guess they wanted to market it to the teenage audience or something. The lack of an R-rating really bogs down the film through poor action sequences and unbelievable dialogue. I guess the filmmakers just wanted to make money instead of making art. This really did feel as juvenile as Twilight and that really hurt the movie.

OK, this is all well and good, but I really didn't start to hate this movie until the end. I know this is supposed to be the next Harry Potter franchise or whatever, but the main difference between this and Harry Potter is that every Harry Potter movie can stand on it's own (excluding the last two). Each movie had a plot line that, while adding to the over-arching plot of the series, was independent and could stand alone as one story. The Hunger Games does not do this. In the end, I felt cheated. Nobody won. Katniss has to go back to her life of hunting and caring for her family and, as far as I can tell, nothing is changed. The government is still in power and the riot is quelled and broken up like its a high school party being busted by the cops.

Overall, I felt the good acting couldn't overcome the poorly written script and shoddy directing. The filmmakers didn't want to make art, they just wanted teenage girls to give them a lot of money. And they succeeded in that. My theater was filled with girls gasping and cheering as these children on-screen killed each other. Good thing I saw it during matinée, because paying full price for this is unthinkable.