Katniss Everdeen voluntarily takes her younger sister's place in the Hunger Games, a televised fight to the death in which two teenagers from each of the twelve Districts of Panem are chosen at random to compete.
After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano moves back in with his parents and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany, a mysterious girl with problems of her own.
David O. Russell
Robert De Niro
In a dystopian future, the totalitarian nation of Panem is divided between 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal retribution for a past rebellion, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives. Written by
When Peeta throws the metal ball at the rack where the spears are, the District 1/2 representatives can be seen in the background with their arms hanging loose. Immediately after that, they are shown with their hands folded together. See more »
I think it's our tradition. It comes out of a particularly painful part of our history, but it's been a way we're able to heal.
See more »
Written by Gabriel Hubert, Saiph Graves, Amal Hubert, Tycho Cohran, Jafar Graves, Uttama Hubert, Seba Graves and Tarik Graves
Performed by Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
Courtesyof Honest Jon's Records See more »
Suzanne Collins - The Person Coming Up With These "Original" Ideas Like Kids Forced To Go Into A Running-Man-Type Arena And Forced To Kill Each other. STRANGE! I Saw A Movie Like This A Few Weeks Ago. Okay, Everyone Who Pays Attention To This Movie's Message Boards Will Know Where This Is Going, I Honestly Tried Not To Compare But Its Like Disturbia And Rear Window, Both Have The Same Plot line So You Can't Not Compare It.
Even If I Had Never Seen Battle Royale This Still Would've Been A Bad Movie, Let Me Explain To You In Dot Points Why.
1. Colours In This Film Were Too Bright(In The Capital Scenes), I Haven't Seen Those Many Bright Colours In A Film Since The Wizard Of Oz, Maybe When This Is Set They Forgot To Tone Down Colour. My Overall Complaint In This Area Is That The Costume Designer Should've Been Shot.
2. Shaky-Cam Effects Were Going On Too Often In The Fight Scenes, I Have Better Understanding Of Fight Scenes In Michael Bay Films, A Kid Could Die And I Wouldn't Know Which One. You Don't Have To Use Shaky-Cam Effects To Tone Down Violence, You Can Have Injuries In Film And Not Have Blood And Gore.
3. The Only Person Set Up Properly Is Katniss, Everyone Else In This Film Is Just A Random Person So When They Die And The Slow String Orchestra Starts Playing(For Those That Help Katniss) You Actually Look Around To See "Should I Care?"
4. The Ending Was Insulting. At The End They Take Away A Rule They Said
About Midway Through The Film - That Two Contestants From The Same
District Can Come Out, Emotional Conflict Starts To Happen(That Was My First Clue That The Filmmakers Knew What It Was.) And Then "Hold It! You Two Lovebirds Can Survive!", Hello? THAT Would Be My Ending So Fans Of The Book Could Stare In Awe And Say "...Is This F#ucking Thing For Real? What The Hell Is Going On?" At Least Battle Royale Did That Without "I Like This Film, No Wait I've Just Changed My Mind."
5. Characters Were Demonised. Again At Least In Battle Royale You Could Understand Why People Were Killing Each other(Out Of Fear That They All Would Get Their Heads Blown Off Or Being Killed Themselves). In This The Few Characters That Had The Slightest Inkling Of An Introduction Were "KILL EVERYONE EXCEPT OUR ALLIANCE!", It Made Battle Royale 2 Sound Watchable.
Those Where 5 Major Points I Thought Needed To Be Mentioned. If You Want A Good Version Of This Watch Battle Royale. If Your Response Is "Oh I Can't Keep Up With Subtitles." I Have A One Word Response "Tough." Battle Royale Is Superior.
Now Onto My Other Points Regarding This Movie - There Is Over 2 Hours Of This Crap To Sit Through When The Final Part Of This Is The 3 People Living (At The Time) Running Away From Magic Dogs That Come Onto The Arena By Some Idea About People Putting Them Digitally Onto The Arena (I Kid You Not - And This Is Somebody Who Can Get The Magic Chalk Idea From Day Watch). If You Want 2 Hours Of Your Time Well Spent Watch Battle Royale.
27 of 42 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?