IMDb > Resistance (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Resistance More at IMDbPro »

Moving, poetic, haunting.

Author: stephenurie123 from United Kingdom
9 December 2011

Resistance is a war movie like no other I have seen. It is probably more accurate to describe it as a film about humanity found in war. This probably marks it out as an anti-war movie if anything and is clearly not to everyone's taste. It is, however, to mine, and I have found myself thinking about the film for many days after seeing it.

It is a film which stays with you. It is also a film that perhaps expects rather a lot from the audience, for which I and my wife were incredibly grateful, as this is increasingly uncommon.

I would recommend you to see this film if you like ideas, beauty and no easy answers. The performances are uniformly stunning and the photography, breathtaking. Don't see it if you expect to be told what to think. This is a film about difficult questions in extreme circumstances and as such demands commitment.

A gentle, beautiful and sensitive anti-war film

Author: Maurice Wilkins from United Kingdom
17 June 2013

Having read and enjoyed the novel I decided to rent this movie, but while awaiting delivery I read all the reviews I could find. A very high proportion of these user reviews, both on IMDb and elsewhere, described a film that was totally boring, a complete waste of time, had nothing to do with resistance and was generally pointless.

All I can say in reply to these reviews is that films about war are not necessarily about violence, gunfire and cruelty. Put briefly, this film is a gentle story set in a beautiful Welsh valley, a tale of frightened farmer's wives left mysteriously without their menfolk, a group of German soldiers traumatised by war, an expression of human feeling and resistance to war in many and varied ways. If this doesn't appeal to you, then watch Rambo! If, however, you are a sensitive soul with a belief in human goodness, then watch this film and enjoy it! My only gripe is that I found the dialogue a little hard to follow - and there are no subtitles. Having said that, I accepted this difficulty and found that it didn't really affect my pleasure - the film doesn't rely heavily on dialogue. All-in-all a most enjoyable film and one that I will watch again - it certainly helped to hear the director's commentary on the DVD.

One of the most 'cinematic' films of the year

Author: aladar4 from London, England
11 December 2011

Knowing that the film you are about to see is based on a much-loved historical novel that was partially funded by book groups and fans much lead you to expect a movie made up of long complex conversations in overly art-directed heritage country houses.

Resistance is the opposite of novelistic. It is the embodiment of cinematic. There are as few words as possible in every scene. No voice-overs, people sitting down to write letters, no exposition. Despite it's wartime setting, this film is not made up of daring missions by brave resistance fighters against inhuman Nazis. It is an exploration of whether we can resist the forces that seek to shape our lives.

I see the film as the story of Albrecht, the leader of the small group of war-weary Germans who have been assigned the task of occupying a remote Welsh hamlet in alternative history version of WWII in which the Germans are invading the British Isles. When he first arrives, the women say that their men are up farming the remote fields. He soon realises that the men have vanished in advance of his arrival in a bid to join the British resistance.

As with good movie titles, it means more than one thing: as well as the resistance group that the men have left to join, there are the large and small acts of resistance that are open to the remaining women, and even some of the Germans.

Resistance is a period film, but it has more in common with 2011's 'Drive' and 'Shame' than 'It Happened Here' and 'Saving Private Ryan.'

A film in search of a story

Author: johnbirch-2 from Letchworth, England
2 November 2012

Lets begin with the positives. Its a very pretty film which makes full use of a Welsh valley. The acting is pretty good as well, in general. It looks very period and the Welsh country show with Nazi backdrop is well done.

So in short all of the pieces are here to make a good film. The scene setting is pretty good and the cast competent. But a film is not all scenery and actors, it does kind of require a story as well - but this really is where this one falls down because it really does not have one.

And its not as if there aren't plenty of opportunities for a story to break out. There's the resistance group with all their secret weapons... but they get bumped off in short measure. There's the young heroic, lone, resistance fighter... who has virtually no lines and no action at all.

There's the German invasion and conquest of Britain... which is happens entirely on the radio. There's the secret of the map... but that really goes no-where and if it had not been part of the plot at all you'd really not notice. There's the Martin Sheen character who is great and mysterious... and in the film for all of about 4 minutes during which time he does damn all.

Which leaves the war-weary soldiers hiding in the valley to see the war out... but who then allow someone out so as to enter a horse in the local agricultural show!

But there again how about five people could be expected to keep everyone (including rest of the German army) out of an entire valley, as well as not actually being missed by anyone is anyone's guess. After all this is a map that is wanted by senior German officials, so they really WOULD notice if their crack search team had gone walkabout!

Its as if the director lost interest about 15 minutes into the film and just left the camera running while the actors improvise until they got bored and wandered off - which chances are most of the audience will.

In short, if you want to see what German occupied rural Wales would have looked like its great. However, after those 4-5 minutes the rest of the hour and a half is eminently, frustratingly, forgettable.

Not bad at all

Author: lufcwls
27 March 2012

There will be spoilers in my review... I wasn't expecting that much from this film judging by its rating and reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. Well shot in a period style it offers a strange and perhaps inaccurate account of Wales if Hitler had taken Britain. I say inaccurate in account to a review on here that the Herman soldiers would have been more 'intimate' with the women which were, essentially, prisons of war. This may be true in reality and in many other horrifying an graphic representations of war in other films but this reviewer has failed to take into account the personality of the German captain who is obviously a kind soul who doesn't want to be mixed up in this as much as any other person! Seen in his protectiveness of his squad and eagerness to help the women farmers - hence no rape and pillaging. Some other reviews I would agree with, it is a bit slow at times but it is not overly long to make it seem tiresome and I do also agree that Sheen is wasted. The scene with the horse has been completely misunderstood by many too; obviously he was meant to shoot the woman but instead shoots the horse as he cant bring himself to do so. He has a local connection to her also so knows (and sees) the pain he has caused her by shooting her beloved horse - hence the tears. Some of the reviews on here are damn right stupid and i suggest you ignore and enjoy the film for yourself

not as bad as some people say

Author: sianviv from Cardiff
8 July 2013

Not as bad as some people say not as good either! If you want pretentiously bad try 'The Hours'. At least no-one was wearing a Groucho' nose. Excellent cinematography - superbly atmospheric views and angles. On reflection, sensitive acting - but I couldn't find/feel empathy with any character - I found it rather unsatisfying to be a detached observer. Far too few jokes (none in fact?) The penultimate scene/action - and possibly the first act of resistance shown by Ms Riseborough's character was nihilistic, an act of vandalism rather than a statement about truth or freedom. Was the final 'ride into the sunset' or murky mists, meant to be ambiguous - a walk to death or to seek out her husband or merely Sarah's need to escape claustrophobia

Mumble, mumble, mumble

Author: Rick Joshua from London
4 November 2012

A fairly interesting premise, and a story that might have been far more interesting if I didn't find myself having to switch on my superpower sense of hearing to make sense of the irritating mumbling between the characters.

Of course, no sooner had I upped the volume the music started playing - an eardrum-throbbing violin.

The net result was that I found myself spending more time playing with the volume buttons on the remote control than I did watching the film - a shame as it was on the whole pretty atmospheric.

I couldn't see the point of the Michael Sheen character, but the German Hauptmann was quietly convincing - if perhaps a little too quiet when he was not speaking German.

War is Hell!

Author: alex (doorsscorpywag) from United Kingdom
21 March 2012

We are lucky that D Day did not fail in June 1944 or we would have been subject to occupation from a load of B Movie actors who think staring into space is somehow profound. A film with Britain's most brilliant 21st Century actor Michael Sheen should be well worth watching and Sheen is the only thing about this film that is worth watching. Sheen plays the shadowy coordinator type who would have been responsible for Churchill's Resistance movement had we been invaded by the Nazi's. The rest of the cast were dull as dishwater. The German's arrive and start acting oddly and we find they are looking for the Mappa Mundi which is hidden in the hills. Their captain does not want them to fall in battle and keeps secret his discovery of the map and sets his men to helping the local farms now run by the women as the men have all run off to form the Secret Army. A terminally dull passage of time later during which nothing at all interesting happens we get our climactic finish as one of Sheen's men prepares to shoot a collaborator which turns out to be a horse. The assassin then bursts into tears at executing the dastardly equine who was obviously betraying it's country by letting the Germans give it sugar lumps. This type of artsy fartsy drivel is the kind that win awards as critics fall over themselves to show how they cleverly understand what the writer was portraying as Resistance can come in many forms. In this case it comes in boring the Germans into submission. For the rest of us we lose 90 minutes that could have been spent wallpapering the pigeon loft or simply banging our heads against a wall. Both would have been far more productive tasks than watching this utter crap.

Possibly the Worst British film of 2011

Author: malcolmgsw from london
7 December 2011

It took me a round trip of 2 1/2hours to get to to the cinema that was showing this film,one of only 2 in London.This made me feel extremely annoyed at the time wasted to get to see this truly terrible film.The film is disjointed,baffling and boring.had i been in my local cinema i would have walked out before the end.About 5 German troops have invaded a Welsh valley.they are looking for a map.the Captain finds it but does nothing.they just stay there.then there is an agricultural show with about one dozen extras milling about.then a horse is shot dead as his owner is a collaborator.Thats about it.Clearly the exhibitors know a thing or two by making it as difficult as possible to track down.I should have taken the hint.

Atmosphere 10/10 - Content 0/10

Author: per_nefer
12 July 2014

A Welsh rural community under Nazi occupation with the male population disappeared into the hills to form the resistance (we assume) was well acted and the atmosphere captured perfectly. The content was abysmal. Too much was presented without credible explanation - the significance of the medieval map was glossed over, the killing of Maggie's horse for her alleged collaboration was lame, and many other anomalies. But the real killer was the whole basic scenario. If D-Day had failed and Hitler's western front secured, are we really asked to believe that he would have sent troops into Britain when the Red Army was advancing on Berlin? And where were the Americans? Do we assume they fled back across the pond to resume their stance of neutrality? To suggest so shows little knowledge or understanding of the history of the late war period. Hitler's precondition for invasion had always been for dominant air supremacy which he failed to achieve when Britain stood alone - would he have attempted a repeat performance with an island full of US air-power? I think not.