IMDb > Resistance (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Moving, poetic, haunting.

Author: stephenurie123 from United Kingdom
9 December 2011

Resistance is a war movie like no other I have seen. It is probably more accurate to describe it as a film about humanity found in war. This probably marks it out as an anti-war movie if anything and is clearly not to everyone's taste. It is, however, to mine, and I have found myself thinking about the film for many days after seeing it.

It is a film which stays with you. It is also a film that perhaps expects rather a lot from the audience, for which I and my wife were incredibly grateful, as this is increasingly uncommon.

I would recommend you to see this film if you like ideas, beauty and no easy answers. The performances are uniformly stunning and the photography, breathtaking. Don't see it if you expect to be told what to think. This is a film about difficult questions in extreme circumstances and as such demands commitment.

A gentle, beautiful and sensitive anti-war film

Author: Maurice Wilkins from United Kingdom
17 June 2013

Having read and enjoyed the novel I decided to rent this movie, but while awaiting delivery I read all the reviews I could find. A very high proportion of these user reviews, both on IMDb and elsewhere, described a film that was totally boring, a complete waste of time, had nothing to do with resistance and was generally pointless.

All I can say in reply to these reviews is that films about war are not necessarily about violence, gunfire and cruelty. Put briefly, this film is a gentle story set in a beautiful Welsh valley, a tale of frightened farmer's wives left mysteriously without their menfolk, a group of German soldiers traumatised by war, an expression of human feeling and resistance to war in many and varied ways. If this doesn't appeal to you, then watch Rambo! If, however, you are a sensitive soul with a belief in human goodness, then watch this film and enjoy it! My only gripe is that I found the dialogue a little hard to follow - and there are no subtitles. Having said that, I accepted this difficulty and found that it didn't really affect my pleasure - the film doesn't rely heavily on dialogue. All-in-all a most enjoyable film and one that I will watch again - it certainly helped to hear the director's commentary on the DVD.

One of the most 'cinematic' films of the year

Author: aladar4 from London, England
11 December 2011

Knowing that the film you are about to see is based on a much-loved historical novel that was partially funded by book groups and fans much lead you to expect a movie made up of long complex conversations in overly art-directed heritage country houses.

Resistance is the opposite of novelistic. It is the embodiment of cinematic. There are as few words as possible in every scene. No voice-overs, people sitting down to write letters, no exposition. Despite it's wartime setting, this film is not made up of daring missions by brave resistance fighters against inhuman Nazis. It is an exploration of whether we can resist the forces that seek to shape our lives.

I see the film as the story of Albrecht, the leader of the small group of war-weary Germans who have been assigned the task of occupying a remote Welsh hamlet in alternative history version of WWII in which the Germans are invading the British Isles. When he first arrives, the women say that their men are up farming the remote fields. He soon realises that the men have vanished in advance of his arrival in a bid to join the British resistance.

As with good movie titles, it means more than one thing: as well as the resistance group that the men have left to join, there are the large and small acts of resistance that are open to the remaining women, and even some of the Germans.

Resistance is a period film, but it has more in common with 2011's 'Drive' and 'Shame' than 'It Happened Here' and 'Saving Private Ryan.'

Not bad at all

Author: lufcwls
27 March 2012

There will be spoilers in my review... I wasn't expecting that much from this film judging by its rating and reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. Well shot in a period style it offers a strange and perhaps inaccurate account of Wales if Hitler had taken Britain. I say inaccurate in account to a review on here that the Herman soldiers would have been more 'intimate' with the women which were, essentially, prisons of war. This may be true in reality and in many other horrifying an graphic representations of war in other films but this reviewer has failed to take into account the personality of the German captain who is obviously a kind soul who doesn't want to be mixed up in this as much as any other person! Seen in his protectiveness of his squad and eagerness to help the women farmers - hence no rape and pillaging. Some other reviews I would agree with, it is a bit slow at times but it is not overly long to make it seem tiresome and I do also agree that Sheen is wasted. The scene with the horse has been completely misunderstood by many too; obviously he was meant to shoot the woman but instead shoots the horse as he cant bring himself to do so. He has a local connection to her also so knows (and sees) the pain he has caused her by shooting her beloved horse - hence the tears. Some of the reviews on here are damn right stupid and i suggest you ignore and enjoy the film for yourself

Liked it very much

Author: isab-castro from Portugal
3 January 2014

I bought the film, because I was curious about it. I like war films, and this sounded different from the others. And why some of the critics were good,and others put the film completely down? I knew Tom Wlaschiha from Game of Thrones and so many people had a very good opinion about is job. So I had to see it. And I am not disappointed. It's a film about emotions, relationship that shows the human side of people in such a devastating scenario that was the WWII. It makes us think. It makes us believe that people in certain circumstances, can join forces and work together. We don't need to see fights, people being killed, because that we had seen a lot. So, don't criticize so hard this film, because it deserves consideration. You can also read the book of Owen Sheers. Maybe some of the people will understand it better.It has o low budget. What's the problem? There are so many Hollywood films that don't deserve the money spent. I give my congratulations to the lead cast, because they are fabulous.

Wry, sharp look at occupying powers and their victims.

Author: robbeaus from United Kingdom
23 March 2012

Having read the reviews on IMDb, it was with some trepidation that I set out to have-a- look-see at this film. As apart from Andrea Riseborough, and Martin Sheen, this was a bit of a step in the dark for me. I knew that Amil Gupta was a newbie, but supported by the up and coming cinematographer John Pardue (Frequently asked questions about time travel) who works are starting to attract the big boys, I was somewhat fortified and set out to see for myself what the fuss was about. First of all I don't know what film the others saw, but it certainly wasn't Resistance! This was a sumptuous feast in its presentation, its thought process and not least its cast. A simple story of what might have been if the war had gone differently played for all there worth by a leading band of players. I won't give the plot away, save to say don't what ever you do miss this potential classic. Stunning performances by Ms. Riseborough and her male lead (not Michael Sheen) Tom Wlaschiha, gripped me to the seat as I debated will they won't they, and an ending that was completely expected made is 92min expo see like 10mins and me demanding more. But what I most enjoyed was the Welsh landscape presented as a lovingly prepared canvas by the adept camera work of Mr. Pardue. As I say if I tried to deliver more I run the risk of giving the game away. So buckle your belt, seek out you cinema sixpence and don't miss this one

A touching but depressing tale of war, love, and loss.

Author: theredcomet from United States
23 June 2015

This film is breathtaking and beautiful with gorgeous scenery, cinematography, acting, and story line. It is a film that DEEPLY touches the heart.

Plot summary below:

Resistance is not really a good title for this movie since it is not really about resistance. The premise is that the D-Day invasion has failed and that Nazi Germany is in the process of occupying Britain and the war will be over soon.

A small group of German soldiers are sent on a mission to a secluded Welsh valley to look for a piece of medieval artwork reported to be there. This valley is extremely small with only a couple of farms on it. Meanwhile, all the husbands of the women there have disappeared. It never really explains what happened to them, but it can be surmised from the beginning of the film that they leave to participate in some guerrilla action and never make it back.

One of the main characters of the movie is the German Captain Albrecht. He notifies the women of the valley that his men will be posted there for a couple of weeks. He tries at first to find out where all the men went, but soon abandons that pursuit.

The main female character is farm wife Sarah, who feels extremely hurt and betrayed that her husband left in the middle of the night without saying anything (for her safety), but she also deeply misses him and is scared for both his safety and what this meas for her future. When the German soldiers show up this makes her feel even more alone and vulnerable.

Sarah and the rest of the women of the valley band together for support because the women feel scared and alone without their husbands and at first they don't want to have anything to do with the German soldiers. But Albrecht and his men are, for the most part, kind and compassionate to the people of the valley and treat them with respect while searching for the lost artifact, which was hidden before the invasion. The woman tell the soldiers they cannot cooperate with the enemy and be collaborators and the soldiers respect their wishes.

Soon the harsh winter comes and threatens the livelihoods of the women's farms and the soldiers catch food and start to offer help to the resistant women. When they help the women during a particularly bad storm, they start to come around and accept the help of the German soldiers around their farms who take on the tasks of their missing husbands.

Meanwhile, Albrecht has found the lost artifact but hides the location from both his men and the high command so they can stay there longer. He suffers from PTSD due to his men being killed in the war and also from the death of his wife and child in a bombing raid. The peaceful seclusion of the valley offers him something he has been longing far since the beginning of the war and he will do anything to keep it that way by keeping both the German command out of the picture and by stopping any communication into and out of the valley - his reasoning being that they can wait out the rest of the war in the valley so no more of his men get killed. The acting by Albrecht's actor Tom Wlaschiha is phenomenal and you can really see the pain in his eyes and face and the struggles he goes through, but you can also see his strength as he takes care of his men and his kindness and compassion for the women.

Albrecht develops a subtle relationship with Sarah who is missing her husband and who seems heavily depressed. Their relationship is probably the most interesting part of the film. The other women also develop different relationships with the soldiers as they work around the farm and care for them. The change in the women's attitude is also shown by the soldiers adopting the husbands' farming clothes.

A young boy who never went to the front was instructed before the invasion on how to resist the enemy. He spies on the valley and soon finds a way to interrupt their idyllic lives. I won't give away the ending but the whole movie is very heart-wrenching and you really feel for both the women, the group of soldiers, and the angry boy who wants to do his part in fighting the enemy.

This movie shows the horrors of war very honestly and really explores the nature of human beings and the feelings of love and loss during wartime.

It is not an action movie, but more of a slow character drama. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

A film in search of a story

Author: johnbirch-2 from Letchworth, England
2 November 2012

Lets begin with the positives. Its a very pretty film which makes full use of a Welsh valley. The acting is pretty good as well, in general. It looks very period and the Welsh country show with Nazi backdrop is well done.

So in short all of the pieces are here to make a good film. The scene setting is pretty good and the cast competent. But a film is not all scenery and actors, it does kind of require a story as well - but this really is where this one falls down because it really does not have one.

And its not as if there aren't plenty of opportunities for a story to break out. There's the resistance group with all their secret weapons... but they get bumped off in short measure. There's the young heroic, lone, resistance fighter... who has virtually no lines and no action at all.

There's the German invasion and conquest of Britain... which is happens entirely on the radio. There's the secret of the map... but that really goes no-where and if it had not been part of the plot at all you'd really not notice. There's the Martin Sheen character who is great and mysterious... and in the film for all of about 4 minutes during which time he does damn all.

Which leaves the war-weary soldiers hiding in the valley to see the war out... but who then allow someone out so as to enter a horse in the local agricultural show!

But there again how about five people could be expected to keep everyone (including rest of the German army) out of an entire valley, as well as not actually being missed by anyone is anyone's guess. After all this is a map that is wanted by senior German officials, so they really WOULD notice if their crack search team had gone walkabout!

Its as if the director lost interest about 15 minutes into the film and just left the camera running while the actors improvise until they got bored and wandered off - which chances are most of the audience will.

In short, if you want to see what German occupied rural Wales would have looked like its great. However, after those 4-5 minutes the rest of the hour and a half is eminently, frustratingly, forgettable.

Mumble, mumble, mumble

Author: Rick Joshua from London
4 November 2012

A fairly interesting premise, and a story that might have been far more interesting if I didn't find myself having to switch on my superpower sense of hearing to make sense of the irritating mumbling between the characters.

Of course, no sooner had I upped the volume the music started playing - an eardrum-throbbing violin.

The net result was that I found myself spending more time playing with the volume buttons on the remote control than I did watching the film - a shame as it was on the whole pretty atmospheric.

I couldn't see the point of the Michael Sheen character, but the German Hauptmann was quietly convincing - if perhaps a little too quiet when he was not speaking German.

Atmosphere 10/10 - Content 0/10

Author: per_nefer
12 July 2014

A Welsh rural community under Nazi occupation with the male population disappeared into the hills to form the resistance (we assume) was well acted and the atmosphere captured perfectly. The content was abysmal. Too much was presented without credible explanation - the significance of the medieval map was glossed over, the killing of Maggie's horse for her alleged collaboration was lame, and many other anomalies. But the real killer was the whole basic scenario. If D-Day had failed and Hitler's western front secured, are we really asked to believe that he would have sent troops into Britain when the Red Army was advancing on Berlin? And where were the Americans? Do we assume they fled back across the pond to resume their stance of neutrality? To suggest so shows little knowledge or understanding of the history of the late war period. Hitler's precondition for invasion had always been for dominant air supremacy which he failed to achieve when Britain stood alone - would he have attempted a repeat performance with an island full of US air-power? I think not.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]