IMDb > Baseline (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Baseline More at IMDbPro »

Big budget film?

Author: sports7272
15 September 2011

I cannot understand why this film has such a low rating when nobody has a really bad word to say about it.

Somebody described it as a big budget film.I wonder how many films these days cost $2000000!

I saw it at the cinema and was gripped from start to finish.I'm not usually a fan of violent films,but compared to some of the truly big budget British gangster films made recently this is certainly the best.

The direction was fast,underlined by an exciting musical sore.

The acting was excellent especially Freddie Connor,whom I found mesmerising.I'm sure we will see a lot of him in the future.

Good old fashioned bit of Brit violence!

Author: Hadrian Howard from London, England
27 March 2014

I really enjoyed this. It's the sort of film that puts you right into the lives of the characters very quickly, and keeps you down there in amongst the filth and the brutality the whole way through.

Some of the dialogue was a little clunky, but the production value was spot on and the story itself moved at a great pace. It also had some top notch British acting talent in the cast which doesn't hurt for this sort of thing. Dexter Fletcher and Jamie Foreman were along for the ride and were brilliant as always doing their (tried and tested) gangster thing.

In terms of originality, the film isn't going to blow any minds, but as for a good old fashioned yarn about a man struggling with a life spiraling out of control it ticks all the boxes. Well worth a look...

Great movie

Author: David Travers from United Kingdom
6 June 2014

This movie had me hooked from start to finish, the whole flow of the movie was tight, the characters were believable. The violent scenes were well choreographed and believable. This film is not your stereotypical gangster movie as it is not about people who think they are gangsters, the movie brings to light the underbelly of the London night life.

Although the film had a limited budget it is not your typical B movie as all the characters are strong and believable as stated. I would definitely recommend this movie to people if you enjoy action, grit and gangsters then this is worth a watch, as I was not disappointed with it at all.

Finally! I realistic gangster movie.

Author: mandolinasd from San Diego, California
5 June 2014

I loved this movie. I loved that it was NOT over the top Hollywood. I hate it when gangster movies are so over the top. They should be more about the inner working and dynamics and less about big explosions and shoot'em ups. I thought for sure that the car was going to flip up and be this huge explosion, but it wasn't which was great. There is no way people get away with blowing a car ski high and causing a scene. Also the beating the main character took at the end, hurt me. I loved hating the bad guys too. My friends and I want to see another Baseline where the character Joe takes over. He was excellent. This movie hit all the right spots for a person looking for realistic and believable gangster story. More gangster movies should be shot like this, less glam more grit. Well done to the writers and actors.

Gritty British Gangster Film

Author: Lobus1 from United Kingdom
14 July 2010

I never managed to see this film at the cinema as it had a very limited release, but I picked up a copy on Blu Ray yesterday and was not disappointed. The quality of the picture and sound was exceptional.

Firstly this is not your typical 'Gangster Movie', it's not about a wannabee gangster trying to ascend the ranks to win favour and to be the next top crime boss, it's a film about an average guy who works as a club bouncer, and who through no fault of his own is drawn into a dark world which he really does'nt want to be part of.

It's the kind of film you could have seen Gary Oldman acting in a few years back, or if it had been based on a true story, Ken Loach directing. At no point does it have the typical "Cockney" Gangster characture. The film has a very realistic and gritty feel about it,from the opening title sequence to the very end. It does not glamorise gangsters and their life style in any way. The film plays heavily on loyalty, and what somebody is willing to sacrifice for friendship. The film moves along at a swift pace and has a really nice haunting score.

There are a few scenes which are quite violent but are very believable, the realism is a credit to the film.

The performances were very solid from all the cast, a few familiar faces cropped up which was nice to see, Dexter Fletcher, Jamie Forman Gemma Atkinson and Zoe Tapper. Both the Lead Actors gave very strong performances throughout the film as did all the supporting cast.

The only negative thing that I can say about the movie is the explosion at the end could have been bigger, but as there is no commentary on the DVD I can only guess that they had limited funds and they only had one go at it.

I would highly recommend this small independent film with its attribute to honour, friendship and loyalty. If you buy or rent this movie, do not expect a Mockney Gangster Film.

Gangster movie with a twist

Author: meyer-82776
22 April 2017

A friend invited me to watch this. Not a fan of "just about gangsters" films, I was impressed by the depth of the plot. Freddie Connor, Dexter Fletcher, Jamie Forman, Zoe Tapper brought it to life with masterful acting. There's a real story here of hard times and loyalty. The directing and production and score were first rate. This film has garnered a lot of attention but it deserves even more! A really first rate film.

Sensational gangster film!

Author: ralphyscott (ralphyscott64@yahoo.com)
12 April 2017

This fast paced gritty British thrill ride grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and never let go! Engaging story and beautiful cinematography. Great performances by Dexter Fletcher, Freddie Connor and Jamie Foreman! British filmmaking of the highest order. Why is it British films are so much better than American ones? I believe it is because they are masterful storytellers!

Entertaining movie

Author: susanwag from Ohio, USA
11 April 2017

I watched this movie on the recommendation of a friend. This is not normally my type of movie, I don't even like the "Bourne" movies, or movies with violence and non-stop chase scenes. In most cases I would have stopped watching this in the first five minutes, but stuck with it because of my friend's recommendation. After I got in to the characters I really felt like I wanted to stick with it to the end of find out what happened to them all. Great character development !

Jamie foreman is the man

Author: rob-nean from United Kingdom
21 February 2011

this film is excellent, the performance from (Danny) Freddie Connor was brilliant as were the amazing (Terry) Jamie Foreman, the story was not what i expected. Danny works on the door of a brilliant grime club in the centre of east London helping to sort out trouble inside and outside the club..terry the manager almost gets shot one night and Danny saves him..(bad mistake for Danny) as this is where he is dragged into the underworld of crime which he really does not want. Danny then meets the beautiful (Jessica) Zoe Tapper and then proceeds to fall in love.. Danny decides he wants his own club with no trouble but is stuck between terry and Jessica.. the rest all falls into place with a fantastic story line great acting and an overall brilliant film..

Loved this film, a proper British Badboy Flick!

Author: Steve Archer from United Kingdom
24 March 2011

this film is excellent! The acting from (Danny) Freddie Connor was fantastic, how have I never seen this guy in other films??? (Terry) Jamie Foreman, bang on as always! Love this guy, always plays the nut's bosses in films. Really liked the the story too, was something different than what's out there already. Was not what I expected. Loved Dexter Fletcher in this, he's a proper actor too! Hats off to the film makers for getting Gemma Atkinson in there too, she should have been in it more though as she's proper hot! Didn't like the way Danny killed off Terry though, he should have had the balls to walk in to The Baseline and shoot him and his boys in the head like Tome Cruse does in Collateral.love that movie too! Still was a top UK film and me and the boys loved it! Is there gonna be a Baseline 2?