IMDb > Stand Up Guys (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Walken and Pacino - Just like bacon and eggs but even better

Author: fingersv1 from United Kingdom
17 January 2013

The film has a nice genuine feel about it, great story, great acting and a great soundtrack that compliments the film and characters! I found myself getting sucked in to the characters and as much as I enjoy seeing Walken act and hearing his dialogue, Pacino was great in this film too. He's not an angry mobster but a likable criminal one of his best films I think. Walken doesn't give us the old stories that we are used to but his presence is just perfection.

Do not expect this film to be full of gangster violence and action, this is the other end of the career. Experience and heart goes a long way.

I have to say that if this film was made with a different cast I think it would have been slow and easy to miss, walken and pacino make the film as genuine as they come.

Very solid

Author: b-meyers from Australia
10 March 2013

I read some of the reviews here, and I think that some who have reviewed this extremely negatively (as in 1/10) are those who appreciate a movie with lots of explosions, and maybe some guys with their tops off, flexing their muscles to accentuate just how tough they are.

Luckily, there isn't much of that in Stand Up Guys. It's character-driven, centered on the relationship between Val (PAcino) and Doc (Walken), both of whom are spectacular.

There's some great dialogue between the two, and despite what you may read on here, the story is quite solid, if simplistic. I don't think people have fully grasped these characters in some reviews, or the meaning of the title "Stand Up Guys". They're throwbacks, and the situations they encounter represent the direction the world has headed over the years, a world that Doc is forced to be a part of, despite wanting a quieter life.

I won't go on any further, but I found the characters endearing, and the relationship between Val and Doc kept me on the hook.

Nice soundtrack, too.

Cheers

Totally Entertaining

Author: oompietseplaas from South Africa
17 January 2013

I'm not one who often writes reviews and I had absolutely no idea what to expect from this Movie. What can I say - Pacino was Spectacular and Walken is - well, he's Walken. As brilliant as he was in The Deer Hunter. The Duo make a stunning and very humorous Duo and certain parts of the Movie will definitely have you in stitches. I'm not going to say anything about the plot but I highly recommend this Movie to any potential Viewers. Filled with Witty Humour and sharp Sarcasm, the Movie tends to get one thinking about different aspects of Life. A Fun Movie - and though a bit slow, I was fixed on the Screen. Pacino and Walken make some of the Newer Actors look like true Amateurs - Watch it - You'll Love it!!

You Gotta Love Pacino and Walken Together

Author: ligonlaw from San Francisco, California
12 November 2012

"Stand Up Guys" is a reunion of elderly gangsters. Alan Arkin, Al Pacino and Christopher Walken are in their twilight years, after long careers as mobsters. This Noah Haidle scripted black comedy is a treat for the ears, as these New York wise guys reminisce about the past. The soundtrack of blues greats and Jon Bon Jovi songs is perfectly on point.

Impressions of Walken are fun, but Walken himself does the best Walken. You crave more lines from him. Pacino is at his best here, and great Pacino? Forget about it.

After serving 28 years in prison, Pacino is released. His best friend, played by Walken, picks him up in a car that was probably new when Pacino began his sentence. Walken takes his friend out for one last night of partying before Walken must kill him to fulfill a contact put out by the mob boss.

Walken and Pacino rescue Alan Arkin from a rest home, where he is fading away. Arkin is resurrected to be the wheel man to drive a stolen car on their last night out. Along the way, they meet a variety of quirky and interesting people.

Understated, extremely fine acting make this one of the best films of Walken's or Pacino's careers. Seeing them together is like savoring the finest of fine wine. See it.

Great script, great acting, great music. What else do you need?

Great Movie for Older viewers

Author: tonsu97 from United States
3 March 2013

I think you need to be around 70 years of age to really enjoy this Movie. I am and I did; I really did. I chuckled and laughed throughout the movie and continued to do so long into the evening as I remembered some of the more memorable scenes. This is a gem of a Movie and brings back a touch of the real movies of yesteryear. No Vampires ; no Zombies; no computer designed sets and monsters, no excruciatingly LOUD music and noises; just a simple story well told with real ACTORS. I could have sat through it again as soon as it was over....and I may go again. Some of these "Critics" need to age a bit to really understand the difference that a Movie like this can bring to its audience

Great ! Loved it!

Author: marinkojason from New Jersey
23 February 2013

I got out to the theater to catch this movie and could not of been more pleased. I laughed hysterically at the cynical humor and really enjoyed how as the story progressed I really got ensconced into these characters. Loved beginning to end. I especially enjoyed Vanessa Ferlito's(deathproof) appearance I look forward to see much more of her in future films. Allan Arkin was a great compliment to Pacino and Walkens lead. I found it unfortunate that on opening day of this movie there were only four showtimes.As I awaited entrance at the concession I felt supreme confidence when the previous showing let out and there was nothing but smiles on the faces of the patrons exiting the previous showing.

Yeah!! definitely better than bacon and eggs

Author: Davidoff Ducasus from Singapore
18 January 2013

This as good as it gets in the real sense, everything perfect, three great actors the mainstay of this movie, no words to describe anyone of them, Julianna Margulies a good actress herself looks wooden in comparison, though it would be unfair.

Whatever little violence there is has been underplayed to highlight the human aspect, heartwarming, not lacking in its comic moments, in fact it have everything, crime, drama, friendship, love, etc., etc., The movie has a warmth about it, well told story, superb acting and apt music for the film , one would wish they were a part of it, for a change Walken is sane, Pacino proves again he can be good at anything, you can't help but love Arkin in the cameo, I am a fan from his "wait until dark" days.

I did not expect any fireworks, I watched it for the cast, and I was not disappointed, an inferior cast may have not stood up to the challenge.

Overdone a little with the empty deserted streets, but the characters more than make up for any flaws A must watch movie, I give this 8/10 Al Pacino, Christopher Walken & Alan Arkin = A NEAR MASTERPIECE

It's like the old days, isn't it?

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
30 July 2013

Not having gotten around to watching "Stand Up Guys" before now was a mistake on my behalf, especially given the three acting heavyweighters that stars in the movie; Al Pacino, Christopher Walken and Alan Arkin.

"Stand Up Guys" is a good comedy that has a nice story to tell. Although this is not the type of comedy that will have you spilling your drinks in your laps from laughing, it is the type of light-hearted comedy that will make you feel good.

The story is about Val (played by Al Pacino) who comes out from prison after 28 years of incarceration. Meeting him at the entrance is his old friend Doc (played by Christopher Walken). Doc has been hired to kill Val and has a time limit until the next morning; and during this time the old friends start up old habits and revisit old friends.

The characters in the movie were nicely fleshed out and nicely detailed. There is a really good chemistry between Pacino and Walken, and this really reflects well on both characters that they play, because there is a very good sense of friendship and intimacy's with one another as they are on the screen.

The movie offers drama, action, comedy and even a high speed chase.

"Stand Up Guys" is a fun and great movie, which offers 95 minutes of great entertainment. If not for the good story, then the movie is well worth watching for the three stars of the movie.

The lonely streets at night

Author: dvc5159 from Penang, Malaysia / Chicago, USA
2 February 2013

One thing about Fisher Stevens' "Stand Up Guys" is that how lonely, not only the primary characters are, but also how the locations are. Take for example, a simple scene where Val (Pacino) and Doc (Walken) walk down the barren street in the middle of the night, as if both represent a bygone era.

Not long after Val is released from prison, one of his two only friends, Doc, greets him at the prison gates. Doc actually is hired by an old employer to kill Val out of revenge, but Doc cannot bring himself to, even long after Val discover the plot. Surprisingly Val is content with it, but Doc isn't; this tension tests and strengthens their friendship further as the deadline becomes closer.

What ensues is a fun romp through the city, along with the last of the trio, Hirsch (Alan Arkin), involving brothels, car chases, bars, beating up punks and breaking into stores, "just like the good ol' days", Hirsch says. "But it's better now, since we can appreciate it," retorts Val. It might all seem silly and out of place, but it fits the characters, and it supports the notion that they want to go out with style, instead of dying broken and alone in some old folks' home. Just like the good ol' days, one last time.

Al Pacino is a magnificent actor, amongst the greatest ever. He isn't called a legend without reason. In this film, performing at his best in a long time, he embodies Val's solitude and longing for companionship perfectly. Here, in one scene after crudely remarking a young woman in a bar, since it's his first night out of prison, his body language and tone changes in his apology, his eyes become more focused. His gravel voice speaks in a somber tone, of the years that have passed, of missed opportunities, of lost friends and loved ones. "I just, wanna dance", he says, longing for the passion of a woman's beauty. The seemingly perverted old man has disappeared completely into this haunted soul of a human being.

Complementing Pacino's performance is Christopher Walken as Doc, also gifted, also great here. Doc paints for a living, and he is subtly in joy to be hanging out with his best pal before the deadline ends - and he is personally conflicted, not just with killing Val, but with his own personal demons. In a diner, Val and Doc discuss their predicament, Val sees right through him, Doc coolly tries to deny it, although there's no denying his facial and vocal expressions which say otherwise. A later scene in the movie briefly showcases Walken's underrated talent in playing vulnerable, broken characters.

Alan Arkin rounds up the Wild Bunch, his presence smoothens the tension between Val and Doc in a light-hearted, humorous way. He is more than eager to leave the nursing home once Val and Doc arrive, and he shows he 's still got it after eluding the police in wild car chase. Hirsch looks at life in a "whatever happens" manner, and Arkin hilariously does very good with his underscored performance of an adrenaline junkie who longs for a rush.

This is a good film, but it's not a great film. Fisher Stevens directs the film with ease, allowing the actors to have a blast and come out guns blazing while they dance around Noah Haidle's sorta-typical screenplay. I doubt that the film would be better if they were to cast younger and more dashing actors in the role - it just wouldn't work. Steven's handling of the progression between the serious and the silly (A "They Live" reference? Really?) doesn't quite gel together, and the ending, it would seem, is too gung-ho for a movie which builds up dramatic tension. Nevertheless, I would suspect that that's how Val and Doc would love to end it all - with a bang. Bon Jovi's solemn song "Not Running Anymore" perfectly sums up the movie's atmosphere.

Good, solid dramedy with a crime setting. This movie is not for everyone though. For a few generations, Pacino and Walken are iconic for being tough, gangster-like criminals who doesn't take crap from anyone. See this if you want to see them reveal their true depths as actors and show bits of how good they can really be.

Awake, Sleeping Giant!

Author: mekjd from United States
18 September 2013

I won't pretend to avidly follow new movie releases, but I am shocked that this movie, which is a superbly written and executed (pun intended) story about lifelong friendship, did not generate more attention. Is it because Pacino, Arkin and Walken are perceived to be past their red carpet primes themselves? I hope not! Doing for others because they are friends, with full knowledge of their flaws, is something we might want to consider more frequently. And what could be better than to do so with wit and great fun at the local house of ill repute? All things modernized since one character entered his long journey (close to three decades in prison) are underscored without being condescending. And ultimately, justice and mercy triumph.

I can't wait to watch this again.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]