IMDb > "The Super Hero Squad Show" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Super Hero Squad Show" More at IMDbPro »

Strangely, Very Entertaining

Author: gghofnm from United States
27 November 2009

It's the strangest thing. Not that I have been reading Marvel comics since 1967, inspired by those classic crappy 1966 cartoons. And not the fact that I have grin up and now growing old with these fictitious people. But the fact that I find these cartoons very entertaining. Call me a silver-age stooge, but these upbeat capers are a lot better than the general "dark themed, gloom and doom" that seem to dominate most of the genre. It's like the Sponge Bob of heroes. I have lived with these characters most of my life and enjoy this silly Hulk much more than the Ang Lee version. I've seen character updates and revisions until the characters match their origins in name alone. That's it; more Stan Lee than Ang Lee, more Kirby and less Miller. I'm waiting for the DVD sets for my grandchildren.

Probably great for kids, not every adult's cup of tea

Author: CheshireKittie
3 November 2009

Let me start by saying that I really, really wanted to like this show. I'm in my early mid-twenties, and I've been a lifelong comic book fan since my mother gave me my first one as a child. Batman: The Animated Series and The X-Men were some of my favorite cartoons when I was a kid. I think it's great when comics are adapted into cartoons that kids can get into.

Up to now, I had only heard decent things about this show, and that may have been because of the source. I didn't go out of my way to check this show out, but it happened to be on this morning while I was changing channels. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if Stan Lee hadn't done a voice over in the opening of the episode. Often, I'm hesitant to simply call myself an adult, but I think I am just too adult to like this show. Compared to the cartoons that are written with subtext to appeal to adults, this one seems much more simply clean and kid friendly. There is nothing wrong with that, it just doesn't appeal to me.

If you are a parent that was/is a comic book fan, or a parent who would like to use comic books as a venue to get your children reading, I recommend having them check out the show. The characters seem pretty accessible to kids. The styling of the characters, compared with the choices of voice acting seem like the sort of thing that will be a big hit with small children.

If you aren't a comic book savvy parent and your kids gain an interest in them from this show, do yourself the favor of checking out the reading material they're interested in before buying it for them. Not every comic book is kid friendly, and a lot of the Marvel titles get into territory probably too gritty for most young kids. (Which isn't to say DC doesn't as well, this show just features Marvel characters, so I'm banking on character recognition.) In short, there's nothing inherently bad about this show, it just isn't for everyone.

My Kids LOVE the show

Author: shawneve from United States
25 October 2009

This is for all of the adults who say the show is crap... Get over yourselves.

I have 3 boys and they can't get enough of this show, and as others have mentioned it was made for KIDS!

I think it is great that Marvel/Disney are adapting the characters for different demographics. I don't let my kids watch the more mature Marvel shows, but this one is good kid fun and they now know and love all the characters. When they get older perhaps they will continue that love and buy the comic books.

My kids are also playing the Wii game of the show, and love that as well.

Your Milage May Vary

Author: ehcysp from United States
22 January 2012

This is my first review, so lets get down to it. I like Marvel, but I am a casual fan in comics. This show is for kids, that is the key thing here (I am in my teens). Adults and fans may enjoy the animation, and the occasional in joke, but all in all it is for kids. True, cartoons are supposed to be for kids, but they should appeal to all audiences. In this show: the dialogue can be painful, the character designs are bad (they're fateful, mostly, but the kiddie look is my problem), and the humor has its ups and downs. The show is too juvenile. Kids shows can be fun for everyone, look at the DCAU: Justice league or Batman the Animated Series; they're comic books presented as kids shows, and they're great for both adults and kids, they're mature, action packed, and not overtly violent. This show is very disgraceful to Marvel, as they can do so much with their characters, if you want a better marvel program watch The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes: its good for kids, and very entertaining for adults as well. Being a kids show does not entirely dismiss the poor concept and mediocre execution.

The Super Hero Squad Should not be taken intravenously

Author: rickshawblade from United States
16 September 2010

OK...If you are obsessed about comics and movies about Superheros as I am, then you should appreciate any and all attempts to reach all ages with their stories for ALL AGES. If The Super Hero Squad Show is not your speed, then why should you critic it? Unless you want to show them as they are in the comics or in the movies, which is redundant. Why show the same thing over and over? And this goes to you mostly dragoniawriter. If you don't like the show quit watching it, it's for kids, switch the channel or simply turn off the tube and go out and be a real superhero. All in all I'm just saying, Daddy's got his shows and the kids have theirs. Which I watch...personally, I'm a DC guy myself.

A very dumb cartoon

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
14 December 2012

This was a very dumb cartoon, being way too unfunny and childish to be remotely enjoyable. All the jokes from this series are terrible.

If the creators of this series wanted to make a lighthearted portrayal of the Marvel super-heroes from a cartoonish perspective, why they just didn't make an animated adaptation of Chris Giarrusso's "Mini Marvels" ? That could have been something way funnier and much better than this painfully unfunny drivel.

The only good things about this series were the animation (Which was gaily decent in my opinion) and the characters designs, which I personally liked. Other than that, this doesn't have any single redeeming value.

1.5/10 (And that's being generous)

It grows on you and its for kids

Author: Zackery Burgess from United States
18 August 2011

You know when I first saw this show, I thought it sucked. I thought Marvel jumped the shark again. But as time went by I started to like it and I realize its for kids. When I see a kid getting into comics thanks to the cartoons, it puts a smile on my face, hoping I see new comic book readers and its great that kids can recognize these characters. Heck, my four year old nephew and his cousin love the show so much. I love that they actually use underrated characters like Falcon,Silver Surfer, and Ms.Marvel as main characters in the show, but to be honest its not as great as Batman: Brave and the Bold, while being campy and aiming toward kids, it actually does the comics justice, this really doesen't. But I don't mind.

Overall it may not be for you, but it's for kids and you know this was used to market the toyline. So yeah you may not like this show because fart and booger jokes, but hey this came out when I was kid I would've loved it.

Great for its target audience

Author: heckthecat from United States
19 February 2011

My 3 yr old daughter has recently developed an obsession with Iron Man. I'm not really sure how this happened. I have no real problem with it, but being familiar with comics and animation in general, had a lot of trouble deciding how to enjoy this new interest with her; after all, just because it's animated doesn't mean it's child-friendly. She's too young to get into the Iron Man movies or even the animated Invincible Iron Man movie and a lot of the themes would go over her head. She breaks limbs off of the action figures marketed for older kids and adults, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would hand a 3-year-old a comic book unless it was a travesty you wanted to accidentally maliciously destroy. So I was thrilled to find this series- a little silly, a little weird, and it's somewhat painful for a fan of the comic books to see the characters portrayed the way they are, but it's perfectly appropriate for a little person and that's what I was looking for. It reminds me a lot of those old 80's shows I grew up with; Ninja Turtles, Mighty Max, Project G.eeK.eR., Earthworm Jim, etc. It's cute and kinda cheesy and fun, I would recommend it to parents looking for a way to indulge a toddler's superhero obsession or introduce a kid to Marvel heroes without the darker story lines, but I would not recommend it to older fans or anyone who lacks a sense of humour and willing suspension of disbelief.

much better than whats on now on TV for the kids

Author: doris964 from United States
16 November 2010

you guys got to remember companies are trying to with all there might to make there shows kid friendly since parents and non parents alike are becoming to protective of there kids I mean some of the really good cartoons with any violence or complexity whatsoever is receiving the short end of the stick, unless its dark and moody in some way to lower the out of control kids thing. as a result not only marvel but Disney,and other companies can't do the usual things they do not even if looney toons is involved.and Japanese animation or at least inspired Japanese animation is relied on to much because the overall plot and characters, is just not good at times(or all the time if that is your opinion).Just look at at bakugan,Pokémon,and of late transformers(with the exception of robots in disguise(RID)transformers that one was excellent)not to say there were non anime inspired shows that were bad,mediocre,horrible,and or just plain hard to like overall with both kids and adults alike, such as batman the brave and the bold(which is hard to like at times),iron man armored adventures(which is also hard to like at times), and when someone try to put a TV show based off a game like sonicX(based off a sonic the hedgehog if you didn't know)tak and the power of juju(based of of the game of the same name) donkey kong country legend of the crystal coconut,and kirby right back at ya.

Someone has to screw it up a little or a lot due to some crazy view of whats kid friendly, 4kids.TV butchered sonic rather than simply toneing down the violence which was the only thing that was necessary,same with kirby right back at ya, and than there was tak and the power of juju TV show which looks like a horribly doned parody of the game. donkey country TV show on the other hand the only problem with that one was the change in character appearances and the plot can be unnecessary. and when someone wants to bring back on old show to be back and better than ever or even just as good you get similar results.

but getting to the real point I actually like this show since it has a lot of comedy and funny humor, and maintains the marvel charm in a fresh new way, it had me laughing a couple of times and the characters we know and love are portrayed perfectly. nope nothing wrong with this show unless you are a die hard fan of the usually marvel routine.

although one cannot help but wonder why didn't any of the companies make something like this sooner for the kids, the designers that made transformers animated,super robot monkey team hyper force go, the batman,already got there but nobody else did, does anyone who read this review see a pattern? cause I do.

Reaction to a comment by alaric10

Author: jwmccay42 from United States
4 October 2009

Alaric, Does everything have to "be respectful of what happened before"? If that was the case, then you would never be able to get kids (who comic books and cartoon shows are generated for) to ever read the books or watch the show. The show is not bad and it serves its purpose... getting kids involved in the Marvel Universe and capitalizing on Marvel's large number of characters. The show is not created for adults, but for kids ages 4-8. If you think this is coming from someone who does not know the Marvel Universe or is not a comic book aficionado, think again...I have read comics for nearly 25 years and I have delved into my uncle's stash that dates back to '64 on countless occasions...I know and cherish the history and also know that while the numbers say that the industry may be doing okay, I also know that I have been into too many comic book shops and talked to too many owners who state that they have very few kids coming into the shop to buy comics, only 30-60 year old men. The industry will surely either wither to next-to-nothing or die if it isn't willing to take chances like this. I applaud Marvel, Lee, Quesada, and all involved for putting this product out there.