IMDb > Total Recall (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 55: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Mind-numbing, bombastic fun.

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
23 August 2012

I quite enjoy Arnie's Total Recall, but I am by no means a die-hard fan and subsequently viewed this updated version without prejudice or the desire to compare. Len Wiseman, director of guilty pleasures Underworld and Die Hard 4.0, has delivered the mind-numbing, bombastic goods yet again. His Recall is packed with exciting futuristic landscapes, stylish action sequences (the vertigo-inducing car chase was thrilling) and near-perfect CGI; all merging to create a wonderful couple of hours of real-life escapism. The story is engaging without being mind-blowing – and it chucks in a few cheeky references to 1990's Recall – however it runs out of puff in the final act and provides a ho-hum ending. Colin Farrell is reliable as the perplexed anti-hero, Jessica Biel notches up another satisfactory action chick role and Kate Beckinsale most definitely "gives good wife", however Bryan Cranston lets the team down as the one-dimensional villain. Slotting in somewhere under Christopher Nolan and above P.T. Anderson on the filmmaking scale, Wiseman isn't a master of the blockbuster movie but he certainly knows how to produce a rollicking good ride.

Better title would be "Implant" or "Deleted"

Author: moorthyvlr from India
8 August 2012

I did knew this movie is not the same as the original one. Though this movie is similar to the original one it would been better if they just used some of the concept and made totally different unrecognizable storyline. This movie's storyline is in between the old one and their innovative ideas hence it is like a half remake. It cannot satisfy neither those expecting an extension or an upgrade of the old movie nor the people who would take it as a whole new movie. The negative part of the action sequences is it is tooooo rapid, the positive side it is different I would say a new style. It would have been better if they made a half way slow motion. The visuals are fantastic, them again this movie also has a higher potential if they tried 3d. There is lot of flaws but it is still a good movie.

Boring PG13 action

Author: krycek19 from Denmark
20 August 2012

Once again I must say I really hate the PG13 rating!! Replacing most of the people killed in the movie with robots, because that way blood can be avoided really p*ssed me off. Especially when they copied the scene where Richters arms are cut off and he fails to his death and replaced him with a damn robot.

The story is boring and besides from the always gorgeous and always incredibly sexy Kate Beckinsale who is a convincing villain (who is always welcome to kick my ass :))the other villains are pathetic. Especially Cohaagen which made me miss Ronny Coxes Cohaagen.

I miss Mars, I miss the mutants (aside from the three-breasted hooker) but most of all I miss the humor, the one-liners and the graphic violence.

For god sake, when people get shot, they bleed. If a bullet-hole doesn't even appear in their clothes I don't buy that they have actually been shot. I am sick of greedy producers wanting kids to see movies, that aren't suppose to be for kids just so the greedy producers can make more money.

There ought to be a law against PG13 and Steven Spielberg should be forced to publicly apologizing for ever inventing that rating in the first place.

This movie takes itself way way way too seriously. Especially with all the new-age philosophical bull-sh*t about how we all want to know who we truly are. Bla blah blah, shut up!! Even with the bad looking special effects today 22 years later, the original Total Recall is a 100 times better movie than this soul-less turd of a remake.

The prime example of a lazy action movie

Author: Matthew Walker
5 August 2012

I cannot comprehend on where to start about Total Recall. Oh, I know. IT SUCKED! It reached the point that it made me feel insulted. This movie is a prime example of a lazy action movie. How the makers of this garbage can still manage to get jobs is a mystery to me. This is the type of movie that makes me lose more of what little faith I have left in Hollywood.

The premise was interesting with Doug Quaid struggling to discern what is real and what is a figment of his mind. Problem: They didn't explore it! Though touched on at the start, it was dropped and replaced by a cliché and predictable story. There was such room for potential; however it fell into just a series of "plot twists" that I guess were supposed to make me say, "Ooh, you're so clever!", but ended with me saying, "Well, at least they're recycling." Too bad in doing so, the plot went into the trash. There were also several obvious plot holes and continuity errors that caused me to question if the director really even cared anymore.

So instead of a thought provoking thriller we were rewarded with another CGI fest. Don't get me wrong, the action sequences were cool; nevertheless they were uninspired and became boring by the end.

This movie committed one of the cardinal sins of film making by injecting characters that nobody cared about. The characters were so flat and poorly developed that I honestly wanted them to die. Maybe it would break the monotony and insert one bit of originality to this. Adding upon the horridness of the characters was the cast, which had as much grace and talent as a drunk attempting to jump over a table. Many moments I wanted to ask the actor, "why did you just make that face?" The female actors made me want to cry, or laugh, maybe both. The director probably told them to bare their teeth, yell obscenities, and hold the gun and wave it around like a toilet plunger, yet they managed to fail at that too, looking constipated or something. Oh, and not to mention the dialogue, which sounded like it was written by a high school dropout, bumbling along with such a surprising amount of obscenities that it made me feel like I was back in high school again.

The music was decent, not bad, but nothing special. It basically felt like something that all the other action movies have. The cinematography for the most part was okay, except for the excessive use of fake lens flares that popped up all over the screen constantly in scenes that didn't need it. I suppose it was just for the heck of it - just like the rest of the movie.

There were very few redeeming qualities in this movie. The special effects were good, and did a good job of creating a believable and occasionally "woah" moment. I suppose we can all be thankful that it wasn't 3D. WIth that, they were able to put together some pretty awesome fight scenes, that although they felt familiar, managed to shove some fun into this mostly joyless chore of an experience.

This movie was a slap in the face to me as a movie goer. They took my $10 and said, "Here's some CGI, now let's throw it in your face. Now go home and say what you want cause we don't care about our product and we got your money." Total Recall was the easiest and laziest way to make as much money as they could. This was evident through the total disregard to the story and characters. Their casting made their lack of imagination evident by choosing a couple of women who looked as if they were ripped out of a celebrity magazine and thrown into a world that they didn't belong in. Are these women supposed to be attractive or are they just trolling the audience? Probably the latter. But the most heinous crime was actually the rating. PG-13?! This was a blatant R rated movie. Profanity was thrown willy nilly and dropped for no reason. I say that if you're going to swear in a movie, they'd better earn it. But no, this was swearing for the sake of swearing. On top of this was a couple moments that just made me (almost) cry, "Ah man, seriously?" There was content that simply wasn't needed and made me feel ashamed to be in that theater. Shame on you Hollywood.

Awesome Movie! Why The Hate?

Author: kmjnhh123
21 June 2017

Before i start this review i must say i never knew about the 1990 original before watching this version & i do not wish to watch the original as I personally struggle to watch old films due to resolution... So this review is based on me only watching the modern 2012 version :)

I found this movie by rummaging around in Poundland's Blu-Ray section, saw the front cover with some guy in a like a head-set type thing, thought it could be to do with the future / Sci-Fi, read the back bio & boom, here i am reviewing a awesome £1 Blu-Ray movie.

Okay so I'm a sucker for anything Sci-Fi / Future type movies, the CGI in this movie is top notch, its looks clean, smart & real. When starting to watch the movie & realise it was almost 2 hours long (Extended Cut) i almost knew it would be good!

The film is set in the future where chemical warfare has left most of the world uninhabitable & only 2 "areas" are safe, one in Britain & the other in Australia, the only way to get to either is through a train like thing straight through the middle of the earth.

The film starts off with good decent action so it doesn't bore you with loads of story before hand, speaking of the story & plot it was very easy to understand & follow which was easy on the mind while watching. Through a lot of the film there is quite a bit of action which the scenes are decent & well played & acted. I grew to like the main good side characters & hate the bad side, the actors where good, they all suited their role & clothing was well thought out to, not to mention the awesome future / Sci-Fi robots police that looked awesome.

Bad points; I'm not sure of any of the top of my head, I didn't have any complaints about the story, or what happened then or where etc. I felt like i was informed of everything that i needed to know.

You may all be reading this thinking am i mad, this movie is rubbish, nope i loved it.

Overall I understood what was going on, it didn't feel like 2 hours & i wanted more, great acting, awesome future / Sci-Fi setting!

9 / 10

Some reboots should have not been made

Author: taunotooming from Tartu, Estonia
5 June 2017

Total Recall, the 2012 reboot version, is the mere shadow of the original. I must admit, I hoped much more from this film than it actually delivered.

First, the actors! Colin Farell and Kate Winslet are real actors, good ones, I think, but the dubious script does nothing to give them something to work with. The dialogues are boring and most of the times it feels they are just there to lead from dull action scene to another.

Second, the action scenes! They quickly become boring and repetitive and just artificially make the movie longer, not any way better. I would appreciate a good action movie, but the action in Total Recal:2012 is just hilarious, I must admit.

I would not recommend this movie to anyone, although if you want to watch, how to make a bad movie, this one for you.

An Honest Review

Author: generationofswine from United States
7 April 2017

Have you seen it? No? There is likely a very good reason for that...it stinks.

Like nearly ALL the endless remakes and reboots that have been plaguing movie goers for the past decade or so....all this is, is a heartless version of the original.

It has no heart.

It has no soul.

It is a retelling of a film that we all love and cherish...and it adds nothing to the story. It improves nothing but the special effects--which held up very well over time--and in some cases belittles the fans of the original...particularly in the fact that they remade the movie at all, without adding anything clever to it.

Like so many other remakes it is a hallow shell of the original.

Watch the original instead

Author: Eugene Ainur from Russia
8 March 2017

This film is so boring that my mom left for soap opera while we were watching together. She haven't watched the original Paul Verhoeven's film, but I have. And I found the plot so predictable that I could even watch it with my eyes closed. That's when I learned that the mood music is absurd and the dialogues are idiotic. All the other aspects of the film are similarly inadequate, including acting, directing, and "The Fall", which endeavours to break all laws of the physics. CGI and background settings are worth a star, but you don't surprise anyone with CGI nowadays. Although I have managed to sit till the end, it wasn't really worth the effort. (Re)watching the original with Arnie is a much better idea.

Great action movie

Author: Benjamin Black
18 February 2017

I have never seen the original, and so I did't go into this movie with any feelings of what it should be. And I'll admit that a lot of the characters seem a little artificial, and the development is not all that great. And since I am not really a huge fan of the action genre, this could have put me off.

But the pacing was perfect, and the graphics were something else entirely. It really is a perfect action movie. I mean, the scenes involving multi-tier cities, and falling through the earth blew my mind. The robots were awesome.

Best of the unnecessary remakes

Author: Paul Scollon from Ireland
1 July 2016

This movie is actually not as bad as other reviewers think, and this is coming from a massive fan of the original Total "Get Your Ass To Mars" Recall movie (1990) with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sharon Stone et al.

It's got a great cast (including the multi-talented Colin Farrell and the beautiful Kate Beckinsale), the action sequences are insanely well choreographed and the effect top-notch... it's just that none of it is memorable (ironic, given the title of the movie).

For some guaranteed, quick, si-fi entertainment though, this movie is top notch. If you like Minority Report (also with Colin Farrell) and other similar movies, you'll enjoy this one. It's definitely WAY better than Robocop and a bunch of other remakes that were made recently, mainly because they changed the story around instead of trying to to a frame per frame (but family friendly) remake of an classic.