IMDb > Total Recall (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 54: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Total Recall is entertaining!

Author: maddy_nov1978 from India
9 August 2012

This movie is way better than the original Arnie version. It has some emotional moments which was completely lacking in the original. Nevertheless to mention, the new Total Recall keeps viewers less confused unlike the old version where the director had no idea how to end the movie.

I went through many reviews that say that the original Arnie version has his best acting skills of all time. Forgive me, but Arnie & acting? Nay... Colin Farell is at his best in this movie. The action sequences are a treat for your eyes. I am so glad not to see the two faced martians or any other weird characters in this new version.

This movie may not be the best but obviously an entertaining science fiction.

buy the original twice over before ruining your week and watching this major dud of a remake

Author: tbmforclasstsar from United States
5 August 2012

The 2012 Total Recall remake is a complete mess. Usually when writing reviews, the critic is a little softer with his thesis, probably opting for a clever pun right off the bat instead, but I took this one somewhat personally. The original film was incredible – a staple of my VHS days alongside T2, Star Wars, Die Hard, Rocky IV, and all of those other gems that could teach a boy how to be a man when played on a loop in the living room. Steroid-pumped action aside, the original was a dream. A colorful, visually-charged adventure from beginning to end, that first Total Recalllet my imagination run wild. As one good friend put it, "Total Recall is the ultimate movie." He's right. There's a girl with three boobs, a tumor baby that's actually really smart when you give him a chance to talk, and half the movie takes place on a colonized Mars. This new effort mines one of those three to poor effect, but unlike other remakes, you kind of wish the new Total Recall did less to differentiate itself and merely copied as much of its superb brother as possible. Seriously, Total Recall is total garbage, a total waste of time, and totally uninspired (though I'd imagine some 90% of reviews will contain "total" puns, I can't help myself). If you'd like, feel free to stop reading now and live on with the solace of knowing that you've responsibly saved ten-plus-dollars.

I was really, really excited for this remake. Len Wiseman was helming, and his directing of the last Die Hard movie was more than competent. Even though the Underworld movies – more of a way into the director's chair for Wiseman (or so I thought) – were not my cup of tea, Live Free or Die Hard was action-packed and introduced me to a director who knew how to shoot killer gunfights and chases. Another ray of hope was the look and marketing of the movie in general. This was a much different take on the story, one which primarily didn't included Mars (neither did Philip K. Dick's source material I'm told). I love when remakes have the moxie to try something fresh. But man did we receive something stale here.

First and foremost, I haven't seen an uglier movie in a while. Vivid reds and a believable future were traded in for the dullest grays and a sci-fi world that sloppily crams so much indistinguishable crap on screen that we're left with a muddy, murky soup that fails to inspire awe on any level (and isn't that one of the best part of watching science fiction?). Aside from some fancy camera-work and creative shot choices, Total Recall looks just as bad and sewer-like as the Underworld trilogy, but with egregious lens flare dropped on top to remind us that we're in the future. Oh man, the lens flare. You thought Star Trek overused the technique (I actually liked it and found it appropriate there)? Well prepare to have some flashlights in your face. You thought scenes in the Star Wars prequels felt so remote and computer-generated as to remove you from the world (that I do agree with)? Get ready for a whole lot more of that with apparently much less of a budget. There's a climax explosion that looks particularly cornball. And what's with technology in the future looking so unusable? At least in Minority Report and Avatar, the touch displays had somewhat of a user-friendly simplicity to them. Here everything looks so complicated and nonsensical. I guess convoluted is supposed to translate to cool? It only gave me a headache. Probably the worst offense is the overall depiction of the slum- ridden city, the alleys and street corners of which look like hand-me-down Blade Runnerknockoffs complete with Oriental theme.

To read the rest of the review (IMDb form too short) visit: http://custodianfilmcritic.com/total- recall/

Meh

Author: freelancer2005
28 July 2016

This movie couldn't possibly be better than the original total recall. Seriously. Does everything has to have a sequel? This 2012 version didn't live up to its hype but I am not surprised as most sequels or reboots are sub par to their original counterparts. There are exceptions like Terminator 1 and 2. Back to Total Recall 2012. The movie was boring. Theatre was half empty. Nothing else to say about it. Not memorable like the first one with Arnold. The CGI nowadays is the main focus rather than plot and originality, unfortunately. Not sure what else to say. It didn't live up to expectations. They should at least renamed it differently.

Plot spoilers....

Author: danren121 from United Kingdom
16 July 2016

The film is bad for the following reasons:

Cohaagan explicitly wants Quaid brought in alive. Melina explicitly want's to kill him. That's just annoying.

When Quaid is revealed as a double agent Cohaagan demonstrates no masterplan vibe. Why not? It's the bit where the audience get to see it's a win win for his old boss.

The Melina was Quaid's wife joke... just ****ing drop it, the whole ****ing movie that joke keeps getting used...It's funny maybe once.

There's twenty people pointing a gun a one person running away and none of them can hit the target.

Melina struts around like a petulant teenager.

In the original movie they bothered to choose two female leads with different complexions.

Robots can't shoot at people who stand next to walls and look round to see how far they are from approaching with no cover.

Quaid and Lori are pursued through the city and are finally caught in public by people who have been trying to kill them. Harry then tries to convince Quaid to shoot Lori. When he refuses he escapes with Lori. Then they are chased again. **** off. That makes no sense. It only makes sense if it is done privately to get rid of one of them. They are in public surrounded by guns.

Cohaagan fights. What happened to a f****** gang. Take the original. The ending, Cohagaan and Arnie start fighting, thats' what Homer Simpson would write.

The bad guys and the rebels don't demonstrate any character, **** all.

If predator was made now that corny scene where they are on a Helicopter and which lays down each character's basic traits wouldn't be in the movie. It's so bad when **** all effort is made to show character.

Best of the unnecessary remakes

Author: Paul Scollon from Ireland
1 July 2016

This movie is actually not as bad as other reviewers think, and this is coming from a massive fan of the original Total "Get Your Ass To Mars" Recall movie (1990) with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sharon Stone et al.

It's got a great cast (including the multi-talented Colin Farrell and the beautiful Kate Beckinsale), the action sequences are insanely well choreographed and the effect top-notch... it's just that none of it is memorable (ironic, given the title of the movie).

For some guaranteed, quick, si-fi entertainment though, this movie is top notch. If you like Minority Report (also with Colin Farrell) and other similar movies, you'll enjoy this one. It's definitely WAY better than Robocop and a bunch of other remakes that were made recently, mainly because they changed the story around instead of trying to to a frame per frame (but family friendly) remake of an classic.

No Spoiler Here...Not Worthy and Zero Point to it

Author: stevecramer-27727 from LA, USA
8 April 2016

I really disliked the movie. Current state of movie making is to portray women as SUPER humans. More intelligent, faster, stronger, more relevant than anyone. Reliant on no one and egotistical to the detriment of all else. The movie suffers for it.

Colin Farrell (Ireland), seems like a deer in the headlights most of the time and of course the ladies took turns either saving or trying to kill him. Kate Beckinsale or Jessica Biel looked pretty much the same person in physical size, weight, looks etc etc. Ugh.

No charm at all and just hated most all of the casting and whom ever was in charge of the film continuously...the between cuts needs help as a damage arm in one cut, is the other arm in the next cut..oh brother.

I love the 1990 Total Recall with Shwarzenegger and Sharon Stone but the supporting cast were also top notch. This a 'B' movie at best.

Just another vehicle to separate your money and put it in their pockets.

Average reboot. KateB kicks butt.

Author: jb_campo from United States
6 February 2016

This is an average reboot of the Schwarzenegger movie from the 1990s. Colin Farrell ably portrays Quaid, who lives in the Colony as a simple worker who commutes via The Fall to his job in the United British Federation. He assembles robot police, day in and day out. He lives with his wife, a police type played by Kate Beckinsdale. However, he's haunted by the same dream that keeps recurring, where he's being hunted down, but he's with another woman - not his wife. He can't shake the dream.

One night he ventures into this Rekall shop that can supply him with artificial experiences. One catch, you can't experience something you already are. When he has the idea of being a secret agent, he laughs about ha ha, I'm not a secret agent so no problem here. Or is there?

All hell breaks loose, lots of people get killed - and the chase begins.

Kate Beckinsdale is stunning, I'd say Terminator-esque in her non-stop determination to reign in her husband Quaid. She's like the energizer bunny going on and on in kick-ass non-stop action. She's easily the best part of the movie. Jessica Biel delivers an OK performance as a rebel leader, and with Farrell, they exhibit OK energy. But it's just average.

The chase scenes get a little tiring, though innovative for sure with a magnetic car chase. And you just keep wondering why the cops don't just kill Quaid when they have the chance, until you near the end. Some of the scenes are gratuitous and unnecessary. The movie could have certainly been tightened up to ratchet up the drama by a much better editing job.

The cinematography was pretty good, and depicted the type of future that was a good backdrop for this type of movie.

All told, this was a solid B-grade movie with decent action, OK plot, and great performance from Kate B. Enjoy.

Solid entertaining action film

Author: Floated2
14 October 2015

Total Recall (2012) sets off as factory worker Douglas Quaid (Colin Farrell) has a vivid dream in which he and a woman are being pursued by synthetic soldiers. He wakes up to remember that he doesn't live the thrilling life of a spy and that the woman beside him in bed is not the one which he fantasizes spending adventures with.

Feeling as though his life is missing something, Quaid eventually decides to visit Rekall, a company that can implant memories as if one actually experienced them. The only caveat is that customers cannot select memories that overlap with their real lives. Quaid chooses the spy package, but things go wrong almost immediately. Throughout the film, we see Farrell disguise himself as an action phenomenon as we see his journey as a wandering confused individual.

I remember and like the classic film with Arnold

Author: Ole Sandbaek Joergensen from Denmark
19 September 2015

I remember and like the classic film with Arnold, so I was a bit skeptical about a remake of this and would if live up to the memory of the classic ..... it does not.

If you have not seen the old one, this is a very descent movie, lots of action, suspense and twists in the story and what is to be believed for the main character Douglas Quaid and for the audience. I have however seen the old movie or classic, so this is kind of a new way of telling the story, with some modifications, some great new things, something has been kept, but unfortunately also some things are not what they used to be (according to my memory).

I did like this film, it has all what a modern day total recall should have, great effects, great scenery, great action and great characters and actors. It did also keep most of what made the classic fresh and interesting at that time and there are few dull moments so the action and pace is great.

Not that bad

Author: ramseycheese
21 August 2015

Before watching this I had not seen the original so I can not compare. However this movie as a standalone film was a good watch. Colin Farrell performed very well and so did a few others, however that can not be said for all. The story was interesting and seemed easy to read from the start but I soon began to doubt my own predictions for the plot. One thing that I did not like about this film is it seemed to borrow scenes and ideas from other films which really were too obvious and unoriginal. This film did have good cgi and action and brought in some interesting views of the future. I would say this is a good standalone action film which is a good watch if you want to see a bit of futuristic action.