IMDb > Total Recall (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 55: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Loved it!

Author: StaceySellers33 from United Kingdom
28 July 2014

I absolutely loved this film! I may not have seen the original and therefore cannot compare it but it is brilliant. The characters are brought to life by wonderful actors and although for some people it may be difficult to follow, I caught on straight away.

I won't give away any spoilers but it truly is rather great. The ending is spectacular and suspense is built wonderfully. Action packed and sensitive also, this film I would recommend to anyone.

I went to the cinemas to see this, and as a huge Colin Farrell fan I found no disappointment. Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel are also favourite actresses of mine and bringing them all together made me most happy. I loved the plot and how it is so compelling and intriguing. Could watch over ad over and love it every time. Never get bored. If fact, I have watched it a further 3 times after seeing it at cinemas and it still delights me the same. From me to you, this is a great film, you must see it!

A vast improvement over the 1990's film of the same name.

Author: J-bot6 from Canada
23 June 2014

This 2012 version of Total Recall starring Colin Farrell is a welcome improvement over the campy 1990 Verhoeven film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger). I had high hopes for the earlier Verhoeven film and was disappointed in the cartoony special effects, convoluted plot, campy character portrayals, and substandard editing.

In this new version of the film, the editing and musical score have both been improved. As a result, the events flow much better. Visual effects have -- of course -- improved. However, it should be mentioned that the 1990 film already suffered from some truly horrid special and visual effects, even for its time. Fortunately the people working on this new film clearly have a more critical eye for effects and shots. The cinematography in this 2012-release is excellent. If I were to ask for anything in this new version, it would be a bit more time for certain establishing shots, since some of them appear to have been cut a little bit shorter than they should be (giving the sense that the shot was a bit rushed).

And it's on that note that I should mention the pacing. I don't generally like action sequences, simply for the sake of action. However, in this film I'm okay with it. Regardless, the action sequences are on the verge of being an over-load; it would be nice to have just a few more scenes in which the pace is slowed down a bit. The lull points would help pull the viewer deeper into the film's richly-rendered world.

I found the main character to be much more convincing in this new version. Colin Farrell plays the character in a more realistic manner than Schwarzenegger. In the 1990 film, there was little feeling that the main character was in any real danger, since he was being played by a massive (literally) action hero. Arnie in his prime isn't someone who generally looks like he's under any real duress. Colin Farrell plays a more believable everyman at the beginning -- which more effectively sets the audience up for the reveals that follow. Nice work by Kate Beckinsale for her portrayal of a convincingly-threatening villain.

Finally, kudos to the people who worked on design development for this new film. The concepts are a joy to watch, and are brilliantly executed on-screen. Believe me, I've seen a ton of sci-fi, and this is some of the nicest to watch.

I'm sure there are many who hold the 1990 film close to their hearts. So be it. For those who are more into the immersive, atmospheric, and less-campy variety of sci-fi, this new offering is well worth seeing.

Ignore the negative reviews and give this movie a shot. After all, cinema is a highly-subjective art-form. If you're truly steeped in this genre (especially in science fiction from 1977 to 1983), I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Terrific movie - well done - meant to entertain and does

Author: hagan31904 from United States
5 August 2013

I saw and liked the original Total Recall with Arnold Schwarzenegger and was prepared for a knock-off. Instead I got exactly what a critic calls a thrill ride from early on to finish. Even the plot changes did not get in the way of enjoying better a remake and the meant to entertain as in old school matinée kind of movie only made it better. Fine job by all concerned and please turn Len Wiseman loose on some of these recent idiotic super-hero movies he knows how to entertain not steal ideas and characters to blow his own horn and what he wants it to be rather than what it is. Exceptional job by the studio in choosing and the cast and crew from top to bottom.

More please.

A great movfe by it's own

Author: creativebanana1 from Zimbabwe
31 July 2013

I never watched the "original" total recall movie, I guess this is why I liked that movie so much.

I'm not a fan of the action genre but in this specific movie I gotta say that if you compare this one to other action films I've seen, this is one of the best.

First, the action scenes are Amazing! not just a bunch of shooting and punching, there's a lot of thought behind every action scene which I greatly enjoyed.

Second, the characters are fun. By fun I don't mean realistic but they are not an insult to the audience either.

Third, the immersion of that flick, from the smallest thing to the bigger thing there's congruency.

fourth, the story! the story is actually pretty good! especially if you compare it to other action flicks.

and fifth, the beauty. The movie is just beautiful and an eye candy. A really nice science fiction fantasy movie.

I recommend this movie for everyone, it is a good movie. Just don't compare it to the other movie by the same title and I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it.

It is what it is, and I liked what it is

Author: ac-156 from United States
1 January 2013

I was a little skeptical walking into this movie but I was pleasantly surprised. Now for starters I loved the original, and pretty much every other 80s/90s "futuristic world is now a $h!t hole and one guy is about to f*** people up". Im glad to see movies going back to this format (Total recall, Dredd, In Time, etc.) because its on of my favorite genres.

As for the movie its heavy on the chase scenes and loaded with 1 vs. infinity situations that make for a fun night of action and not thinking too hard. It was a CGI heavy film, which isn't a bad thing but I feel they leaned a little too hard on it (something about the cars rubbed me the wrong way). The acting was good, Colin Farrell and Jessica Biel worked well together but I felt a forced aspect to Kate Beckinsales role.

Don't go into this movie expecting to laugh, cry, or think. Go into ready for action and nostalgia (yes nostalgia, watching it feels like the 80s/90s with better acting and better visuals). I really did like the movie and I think it didn't get enough credit for being what it is.

The movie made me THINK.

Author: merryone7103 from South Korea
1 September 2012

Total Recall is anything but ordinary. That is to say, the film is second to none! I can say this with certainty on account of these two main reasons.

First, the plot of the film made me dwell on it. The movie has a refreshing story, which shows a secret agent, Hauser figuring out his erased memory. Watching the film, I was confused some of the times because I didn't know for sure if Douglus is having illusions of Hauser on the REKALL chair or if Douglas is actually Hauser. I loved the fact that I could actually ponder seriously while watching the film.

Second, the quotes of Matthias made a great impression on me. He said that one should listen to his heart to know who he really is. He said clinging to the past is not helpful at all and can also do us harm. For me, what Matthias said really helped because now I stopped worrying that I might not do as well as the past. It's not the past that I have to care about, but the present.

As I'm not a native speaker of English, it was not so easy for me to understand the film fully without making mistakes. But one thing for sure, I just luuuved it!

Shame

Author: nsoderi from London, England
6 October 2012

As most of everything else nowadays, another action movie with no chemistry or identity that stole a name of a great production from the 80's in order to make money. Lots of money invested in a movie with no context. It's hilarious how there is no one out there to make great scripts like the old times. Is lack or talent or motivation the main ingredients required to make movies today? What is it that avoids producers, directors and actors to make great movies and consequently great money? Sincerely, this decade is far winning the golden globe of rubbish movies in a decade ever released.

Don't wast your time or money with that!

Recall this film!

Author: alexm-3 from United Kingdom
10 August 2012

Has the world gone mad. Has Hollywood decided that bad is now good. Are we all now living in an alternate reality. Will dogs and cats start living together?

Basically I'm lead to these conclusions based on the continual re-emergence of Colin Farrell in lead roles. There are two possible reason for this.

Reason 1,

Hollywood Producer A: "Hey lets sling a film together, not something original, just a rehash of a classic."

Producer B: "humm...good idea. Colin Farrell is cheap and will do anything."

Reason 2,

Producer A: "I want to destroy the originality in film making. Why! (He says rhetorically) Because originality is difficult and risky, that's why. (He says replying to his own rhetorical question)"

Producer B: "Who can we get to deliver such a mesmerising, just missing the point of everything, kind of a performance?(Short pause) There is only one man... Colin Farrell."

There may be other reasons. Please send answers on a postcard to:

Reasons why Colin Farrell gets lead roles, Fictitious Address 395, Loudfartington, LF19 421

Total Recall is entertaining!

Author: maddy_nov1978 from India
9 August 2012

This movie is way better than the original Arnie version. It has some emotional moments which was completely lacking in the original. Nevertheless to mention, the new Total Recall keeps viewers less confused unlike the old version where the director had no idea how to end the movie.

I went through many reviews that say that the original Arnie version has his best acting skills of all time. Forgive me, but Arnie & acting? Nay... Colin Farell is at his best in this movie. The action sequences are a treat for your eyes. I am so glad not to see the two faced martians or any other weird characters in this new version.

This movie may not be the best but obviously an entertaining science fiction.

Incredible!!!

Author: anwarnajmi from Los Angeles
12 August 2012

This is the best sci-fi movie I have seen in decades. I was blown away by the visuals, new interpretation of the plot and brilliant sound score. An amazing movie experience. My brain could scarcely keep up with what my eyes were seeing, it was that good. The visuals were on a scale and level of realism that I have not seen in any other sci-fi movie. The result: complete transportation into a dark and complex future. Like all great classics, the chemistry between the main characters (Colin, Jessica & Kate) was palpable. I'm pleased to see these three talented actors take their place in cinema history with this classic film.