IMDb > Total Recall (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 54: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

This remake of Total Recall is a fine thriller in its own right

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
7 August 2012

Okay, a few years ago I rewatched the Arnold Schwarzenegger-Paul Verhoeven version of Total Recall and gave it 10 stars. So I just now watched the Colin Farrell-Kate Beckinsale-Jessica Biel version and while I still prefer the previous version, this one wasn't so bad either. I mean, there are hardly any one-liners that Arnold did like that "divorce" line he gave to Sharon Stone then but there is still that dangerous edge that the original had that made this a worthy remake to watch. And the ending also provided a different twist than that of the original so that was also a good thing for me. So to make comparisons, I still prefer the Arnold version but this Total Recall gets a recommendation from me as well.

An Action Movie Smoothie

Author: Michael Kline from United States
8 August 2012

I'm shocked by the wave of negative feedback Total Recall has received. I had an objective experience when viewing the film; I refused to see the original. Taken at face value, this is an action filled blend of the best aspects of many great action films of the past 15 years. I highly recommend watching it, even paying to see it on the big screen before it comes out on DVD.

The best films and TV shows begin with a disoriented main character with no idea what's transpiring around him (LOST, Bourne Identity, Walking Dead, etc.). It puts the character and the viewer on the same basic level, so that as the viewer tries to figure out what's going on, so is the character. In Total Recall, disorientation of Farrell and the viewer is a constant. Many reviews I've read complain about this, claiming it creates a poor plot, leaves too many questions, and opens too many doors for interpretation. I think that is exactly what makes the film so great. Just like with the spinning top at the end of Inception and the arguments it spurred: Which parts of the film are 'real' and which are rekall?

Total Recall takes the identity crisis of Jason Bourne, the enemy-robot-filled-future of iRobot, the unintentional betrayal of Terminator Salvation, the 'There is no spoon' concept of the Matrix, the Shutter Island question of 'Is the main character lying to himself?', the reality/dream dilemma of Inception, the masks of Mission Impossible 2, and the 'who can you trust?' of any James Bond film and rolls them into one movie. The result is an extremely entertaining film with incredible graphics, fast-paced plot, and the ability to keep you guessing throughout.

Many critics complain about the film being just like the original while others whine that it didn't have enough of the Arnold version. It's a remake. Some things will be better, some will be the same, some will be worse. Independent of the original, I give Totall Recall 8/10 stars and can't wait to see it again.

You've seen this movie before

Author: nobrun
7 August 2012

It is a patchwork of movies you have seen before. It has a 'Bourne' character who's traveling in floating cars from 'The Fifth Element' while being chased by an uglier version of robots from 'I,Robot'. It's embarrassing - a futuristic movie where a bad guy wants to replace oppressed workers with robots and thus emerges the resistance (oh boy, where have I seen this before?). Memory loss (or memory replacement if you want), lots of gunfire, an individual evading every possible attempt to catch him...did I mention 'Bourne'? An inferior version though. While the 'Bourne' series and the 'Terminator' had a sense of large spaces and time, 'Total Recall (2012)' was filmed almost entirely in buildings and tight spaces - yes, it's cheaply made.

Worst movie ever

Author: Amol Kolhe from United States
5 August 2012

This movie seemed like an interesting watch with an expected plot line but interesting Actors/Actresses (Colin Ferrel, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Beil).

It turned out to be quite a drag. There was nothing interesting about the movie; the plot line was one we've seen so many times, but what made it worse was how poorly it was presented to us. I can't think of a single thing that I'd like to recall.

It reminded of Tron Legacy & Matrix, but while Matrix's dialogs about dream and reality worked fine in that movie. Similar talk in this movie was almost laughable (people were actually laughing out loud in the theater during serious scenes, because the dialog seemed so ridiculous). The Hero had (sort of) Amnesia, and everyone kept messing with his head and his memories. It was so rundown, it wasn't even funny. Some dialogs were stretched out more than they should've been.

The enemy was super powerful, with 100% surveillance everywhere, yet the Hero easily sneaks thro areas, and in the end manages to destroy the enemy while immobilizing the army.

This is the last time I'm recalling this movie, because I want to save a few good people from this waste.

Total Recall Remake is a Total Waste of Time

Author: danmankp37 from United States
5 August 2012

Easily one of the worst movies of 2012 and one of the worst popcorn movies I have ever seen. It's quite a feat for Colin Farell to add less to a role than a former Austrian Body Builder turned action star but he managed. He had no charisma in the part, he had no presence whatsoever and no chemistry whatsoever with any of the female leads. Other than that he was great... Speaking of the female leads, I feared from the trailers that Wiseman was basically going to give Beckinsale a huge role in the film or he'd be sleeping on the couch and sadly that was the case. She essentially took the role of Richter from the first movie and was chasing Quaid around for 2 hrs. Every fight scene was overdone and cheesy. Kate's line delivery had me rolling my eyes and she was just trying too hard to be good in a terrible film. Jessica Biel looked good but she was just there. She had Nothing much to add, just a pretty face in a bad action movie. What else can I complain about oh yeah, the movies design was ugly, there was waaaaaay too much CGI and the rehashed plot was hard to follow. They didn't bother to copy anything from the old Total Recall that made it good, just redoing most of the major elements poorly to make the film lousy.

2/10 and that is being generous..

Why was this show Greenlighted, with such a poor script

Author: ghasl1 from Canada
8 August 2012

After I finally finished watching this movie it was like being on a roller coaster ride, it builds up to something, get adrenaline rush from all the action and thrills and it just keeps on going until you just want it to stop. An have a breather.

You know what I mean if you already seen it.

I have to admit the beginning of the movie had potential it was as if it was going somewhere, sci-fi or cyberpunk related theme or matrix innuendo with mind games etc with maybe a bit of philosophy, science or corporate greed whatever. Unfortunately it doesn't go in any direction its vacuous.

There is literally 'no pacing' in this movie except the first few mins and the piano scene, if you decided you wanted to take a leak, by the time you get back the action is still going. "Did I miss anything of the story?" No, because there is no story, I thought he was trying to get to Mars at one stage, but then it got weird like Bourne Identity, Minority Report, I Robot, Stormtrooper weird. And Douglas Quaid is still stuck at the airport and on Earth.

I give this movie good points for the graphics and the action but only to an extent, I actually thought there would be a sequel to explain more in detail because I knew the movie was going to end without explaining anything. No main villain (played by Bryan Cranston) would show up in person infront of the main hero unless it was strictly of importance, his got no hierarchy of henchmen or subordinates doing his ill will except for Kate Beckinsale's character and even she was acting alone, being all terminator throughout the whole movie. You exactly feel the villains are going to die abruptly just because there was too much running around and explosions throughout the movie.

There's no room for dialogue. Wished they actually gave character development.

All I can say is, if you have already seen the original Total Recall, and was hoping it would have better graphics but still retain some of the story, you will end up having mixed feelings.

For people who haven't seen the original you're lucky because you can see this Colin Farrell version as a prequel and then watch the Arnold version afterwards. Frankly watching it the other way around kinda spoils the mystery, even before I saw this reboot or remake version.

Better Than I Expected

Author: richcarter1962 from United States
9 February 2013

If your looking for a flick that each character has a lot of levels and of dynamics between each character then DO NOT watch this, go get then go watch the descendants, or even a better movie, Silver Linings Playbook. Honestly I can't imagine why anyone would say they expected more out of this movie. It exactly what it promises.

The action is almost non-stop, the acting, well there actually actors in this remake, I still refuse to think of Governor Schwanegger as an actor. Collin Farrell definitely brings more the table. The special are of course light years ahead of the original. In my opinion the story line was quite different from the original, which I found to be a good thing.

If you're looking for an easy to watch movie that exciting and fun, (and let's be honest who doesn't like a girl on girl fight between Jennifer Beal and Kate Beckinsale), then watch this movie, it's fun. If your looking for Shakesspeare, not gonna get it.

You have to understand that the whole movie is in the "Recall"...

Author: aero-windwalker from United States
3 November 2012

While many don't understand is, the movie is depicting the main character Douglas Quaid in his "Recall". Similar to the original title, the plot and the accidents are ridiculous - similar to "American Psycho" - it is supposed to be ridiculous. It's a smart way of making movies so it leads to discussion of weather the movie was "artificial memories" from the "Recall".

I can't deny that most audiences had lost patience watching and thinking about movies these days because in fact they have been so sick of it...to truly understand a movie you have to stop watching them for a while, having the desire and anticipation of what it might be like before you go ahead and enjoy them like fast food. Total Recall is quite entertaining, the minus 1 point is due to the lack of creative element for fighting scene.

At last a reboot that doesn't just try to reshoot the original

Author: chebs1 from United Kingdom
13 November 2012

Before I start let me say that I too loved the original when it first came out. It was original in it's day. It was also yet another Arnie film to source for movie one-liners and quips. Unfortunately, the very things that made it fun also made it a pretty silly sci-fi film.

I'll just say straight out that I loved this reboot. It's not played for laughs which is a smart move - yes in the day Arnie's comedic one-liners where right for the time but now the audience that loved that film has grown up, moved on and wants a more serious version, what's wrong with that?

The story has been re-written and has removed the need for Mars as a back drop or the, frankly, silly premise of mind reading mutants.

There is a lot of action, in fact once Quaid gets to Rekall, the film becomes a non-stop roller-coaster of action. Again, I don't understand why people are complaining about this. It's suppose to be a sci-fi/ action film, the original was a sci-fi/action film what's is the problem?

If there is a criticism it would be that other than the main characters, namely those played by Farrel, Beckinsale and Biel, the other main characters (Cohaagen and Matthias) don't really get any explanation or introduction, then again do they need it? I'm not so sure.

For all those complaining about the fact that the original kept you guessing as to whether it really was a dream or reality. You obviously haven't seen both versions (the theatrical release and the directors cut). Lets just say in one it goes one way in the other another.

So, bottom line, if you want a really well put together sci-fi/action film with cutting edge special effects, an excellent story that is really well acted by all involved, watch this. If you want to reminisce and bitch about anything that's different, don't watch this. Either way suit yourself.

Boring

Author: Deadwoodz from United States
11 November 2012

As a remake or even as an original film this movie sucked, I was literally dozing off less than an hour in during one of the many chase scenes. This is the summary of the movie to save you time: Chase scene, 5 minutes of dialogue, chase scene, a little more dialogue, fight scene, chase scene, repeat until the end.

What a waste of 125 million. Hollywood blows money on worthless cgi effects and big named actors and completely forgets to hire good writers and focus on a good story. Instead we get this tiring cliché of a movie that's plagued with overdone cgi, too many fight/chase scenes and absolutely no soul. This doesn't even deserve 1 star.