IMDb > Total Recall (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 53: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Is EXACTLY what its mean to be - a THRILL RIDE

Author: Daniel Cumba from United States
10 August 2012

Before seeing this movie, I read many reviews. Many of them were giving this film a poor rating, stating that it doesn't come close to the original, stating that it doesn't have this or that, etc. I decided to ignore the reviews and form my own opinion of the movie - which is what you should do as well...

First of all, in my opinion, this movie is not a remake - it seems more like a Reboot. Same concept, some of the same characters, story line has changed. Once you can accept this movie as a standalone and not compare it to the original - I believe you will be very pleased.

Special effects are wonderful, Story was fast paced and exciting, actors are some of the best in the industry, and to me - it was a Thrill Ride from beginning to end.

The only reason I give it an 8 instead of 10 is because I wish the movie had been just a little longer for character development and so that the movie didn't feel so rushed. Aside from that, I thought it was a great movie!

Watch it and form your own opinion!

Worst Remake Ever

Author: Kirk Hamilton from Dallas, TX
26 October 2012

I'm a big fan of the first Total Recall and of Kate Beckinsale, so this remake was an astonishing disappointment. How could they have released this garbage?

The original screen play was entertaining and contained several plot twists and surprises. This remake changes almost everything about the original story for the worse. There is no Mars, no mutants, and almost no entertainment value in this new version. Practically all clever and memorable scenes in the original movie were either removed or altered.

It's the details that count when making a good film. How could such a big budget production go so terribly wrong? This remake was so boring and generic that I struggled to finish watching it. In contrast, I've watched the original about 5 times and always enjoy it.

The only good thing about this film is that it can be used by film students as the epitome of how not to do a remake. This film is a disaster of shocking proportions and compelled me to write my fist review on IMDb.

The critics where being to harsh

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
8 August 2012

Agreed it is flawed , but it's nowhere near the disaster of a film thats it's made out to be.

In the far, far, future. Doug Quaid(Colin Farrell) a factory worker, and is happily married to Lori(Kate Beckinsale), but feels his life has more to it then it should be, goes to a place called Rekall, a place that can make fantasizes as real has possible. But when they hook him up to the machine, he suddenly being called a spy, and troops come in, and Quaid takes them out(Jason Bourne style), he goes on the run, and goes home in hopes that Lori will help, but she quickly tries to kill, only to discover that the life he thought was his, is not. He catches up to Melina(Jessica Biel), someone who helps him, and she might be from his past? Will they uncover the truth before it's late?

The futuristic setting is awesome. Colin Farrell is good, so is Bryan Cranston has the main villain. Kate Beckinsale steals the show as the evil Lori. Now Jessica Biel is so bland as Melina, there is nothing to her character, she is just there, nothing more. Action scenes, and effects don't disappoint. It's not as humorous like the original, but still an enjoyable popcorn action flick.

My Heart Skipped a Beat

Author: pjyellowtiger from United Kingdom
31 August 2012

Two stunning brunettes that oozed sex appeal throughout. What more could a man want in an action film. Jessica and Kate were stunning throughout, with looks that made my heart skip a beat.

Not seen the original for many years, so can't comment on how it compares. However, I thought the story line held together and kept you in suspense throughout. I'm sure there were a few inconsistencies, but nothing that poetic license shouldn't cover. The pace of the film was fantastic, with never a dull moment. Effects made the whole thing look real (which it clearly wasn't). Robots looked a bit too much like Star Wars storm-troopers crossed with those in I-Robot, which was a bit strange.

But the best thing about this film: Two stunning brunettes that oozed sex appeal throughout. Only dilemma, which one to add to my "friends list" (and who to bounce). I've decided to cheat and add them both under one entry, as a threesome.

The story, CGI and everything else would make this an 8-9 out of 10, but the ladies make this film at least a 12 out of 10!

Recall this film!

Author: alexm-3 from United Kingdom
10 August 2012

Has the world gone mad. Has Hollywood decided that bad is now good. Are we all now living in an alternate reality. Will dogs and cats start living together?

Basically I'm lead to these conclusions based on the continual re-emergence of Colin Farrell in lead roles. There are two possible reason for this.

Reason 1,

Hollywood Producer A: "Hey lets sling a film together, not something original, just a rehash of a classic."

Producer B: "humm...good idea. Colin Farrell is cheap and will do anything."

Reason 2,

Producer A: "I want to destroy the originality in film making. Why! (He says rhetorically) Because originality is difficult and risky, that's why. (He says replying to his own rhetorical question)"

Producer B: "Who can we get to deliver such a mesmerising, just missing the point of everything, kind of a performance?(Short pause) There is only one man... Colin Farrell."

There may be other reasons. Please send answers on a postcard to:

Reasons why Colin Farrell gets lead roles, Fictitious Address 395, Loudfartington, LF19 421

Shame

Author: nsoderi from London, England
6 October 2012

As most of everything else nowadays, another action movie with no chemistry or identity that stole a name of a great production from the 80's in order to make money. Lots of money invested in a movie with no context. It's hilarious how there is no one out there to make great scripts like the old times. Is lack or talent or motivation the main ingredients required to make movies today? What is it that avoids producers, directors and actors to make great movies and consequently great money? Sincerely, this decade is far winning the golden globe of rubbish movies in a decade ever released.

Don't wast your time or money with that!

Don't see this movie!

Author: Lukin900 from Australia
24 August 2012

I have just seen this film, and have to warn others not to see it. This film is rife with inaccuracies and things that don't make sense. The most obvious is, the film is set in Australia and Britain and all but a handful of characters have an English accent. Why Bill Nighy had to have an American accent I will never know. Even the chancellor of the Federation of Britain has an American accent. I find this odd, because as we all know no foreigner can be an American president. And Australia was treated even worse. Not an Australian accent to be heard, not even a fake one, as Hollywood likes to do. The renaming of Australia, I can only assume, has to be a reference to her past. It's odd how Americans forget that England had colonys in the Americas at the same time, and using these colonys for the exact same purpose. Australia's renaming can't be because of its relationship with Britain ( being in the commonwealth) because anyone who had done their research would know that Australia is a sovereign state. Then there's the issue of the currency, I understand that Barak Obama is a popular president but why would he appear on another country's currency? Also, anyone that had done research would know that military personel in both Australia and Britain pronounce lieutenant ( leftenant) only Americans mispronounce it(lootenant). I just could not follow the idea that these two great nations took all the worlds refugees after a chemical fallout, and all the other countries perished including the US, the only difference is the US had emptied. Everyone moved to the UK or Australia enough to destroy their language and culture. The last thing that didn't make sense, was the fight at the end between Quade and Cohagen. This battle takes place in the rain, but there was no water on their faces. It's a small gripe, I know. But it pulled me out of the movie. One last thing. Enough with the lense flares, looks like a design student that has just found the lense flare tool in photoshop.

Not as smart as the Schwarzenegger version. And it's odd that a company called "Original Films" made a movie that is based on a book, has already made into a film, and uses every cleche in sci fi film most notably "Bladerunner"

This movie is one long chase movie, it goes from one too long chase to another. Which would be fine, but it's at the expense of plot and character.

Worst movie ever

Author: Amol Kolhe from United States
5 August 2012

This movie seemed like an interesting watch with an expected plot line but interesting Actors/Actresses (Colin Ferrel, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Beil).

It turned out to be quite a drag. There was nothing interesting about the movie; the plot line was one we've seen so many times, but what made it worse was how poorly it was presented to us. I can't think of a single thing that I'd like to recall.

It reminded of Tron Legacy & Matrix, but while Matrix's dialogs about dream and reality worked fine in that movie. Similar talk in this movie was almost laughable (people were actually laughing out loud in the theater during serious scenes, because the dialog seemed so ridiculous). The Hero had (sort of) Amnesia, and everyone kept messing with his head and his memories. It was so rundown, it wasn't even funny. Some dialogs were stretched out more than they should've been.

The enemy was super powerful, with 100% surveillance everywhere, yet the Hero easily sneaks thro areas, and in the end manages to destroy the enemy while immobilizing the army.

This is the last time I'm recalling this movie, because I want to save a few good people from this waste.

Total Recall Remake is a Total Waste of Time

Author: danmankp37 from United States
5 August 2012

Easily one of the worst movies of 2012 and one of the worst popcorn movies I have ever seen. It's quite a feat for Colin Farell to add less to a role than a former Austrian Body Builder turned action star but he managed. He had no charisma in the part, he had no presence whatsoever and no chemistry whatsoever with any of the female leads. Other than that he was great... Speaking of the female leads, I feared from the trailers that Wiseman was basically going to give Beckinsale a huge role in the film or he'd be sleeping on the couch and sadly that was the case. She essentially took the role of Richter from the first movie and was chasing Quaid around for 2 hrs. Every fight scene was overdone and cheesy. Kate's line delivery had me rolling my eyes and she was just trying too hard to be good in a terrible film. Jessica Biel looked good but she was just there. She had Nothing much to add, just a pretty face in a bad action movie. What else can I complain about oh yeah, the movies design was ugly, there was waaaaaay too much CGI and the rehashed plot was hard to follow. They didn't bother to copy anything from the old Total Recall that made it good, just redoing most of the major elements poorly to make the film lousy.

2/10 and that is being generous..

Why was this show Greenlighted, with such a poor script

Author: ghasl1 from Canada
8 August 2012

After I finally finished watching this movie it was like being on a roller coaster ride, it builds up to something, get adrenaline rush from all the action and thrills and it just keeps on going until you just want it to stop. An have a breather.

You know what I mean if you already seen it.

I have to admit the beginning of the movie had potential it was as if it was going somewhere, sci-fi or cyberpunk related theme or matrix innuendo with mind games etc with maybe a bit of philosophy, science or corporate greed whatever. Unfortunately it doesn't go in any direction its vacuous.

There is literally 'no pacing' in this movie except the first few mins and the piano scene, if you decided you wanted to take a leak, by the time you get back the action is still going. "Did I miss anything of the story?" No, because there is no story, I thought he was trying to get to Mars at one stage, but then it got weird like Bourne Identity, Minority Report, I Robot, Stormtrooper weird. And Douglas Quaid is still stuck at the airport and on Earth.

I give this movie good points for the graphics and the action but only to an extent, I actually thought there would be a sequel to explain more in detail because I knew the movie was going to end without explaining anything. No main villain (played by Bryan Cranston) would show up in person infront of the main hero unless it was strictly of importance, his got no hierarchy of henchmen or subordinates doing his ill will except for Kate Beckinsale's character and even she was acting alone, being all terminator throughout the whole movie. You exactly feel the villains are going to die abruptly just because there was too much running around and explosions throughout the movie.

There's no room for dialogue. Wished they actually gave character development.

All I can say is, if you have already seen the original Total Recall, and was hoping it would have better graphics but still retain some of the story, you will end up having mixed feelings.

For people who haven't seen the original you're lucky because you can see this Colin Farrell version as a prequel and then watch the Arnold version afterwards. Frankly watching it the other way around kinda spoils the mystery, even before I saw this reboot or remake version.