IMDb > Total Recall (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 50: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Brilliant action film with major plot holes

Author: GrimNirTheGreyGod from United Kingdom
17 August 2012

This film is an action fans wet dream. It steams from action scene to action scene with a small pause for dialogue and plot. There's many will say this is a bad thing but not me. I hate long drawn out rhetoric in an action film. So if you like action in your action films you will love this.

If your looking for an up dated version of Arnie's Total Recall then you will be disappointed, but then what would be the point of seeing the exact same film again just with new characters? It needed to pay homage, but also be a little bit unique and new. This managers that with ease.

There's no Mars in this one. Its set in a future where much of the world is uninhabitable and there's really just the United Kingdom and Australia (The colony's) left. Travel between the two just takes 17 minutes by falling through a hole that travels through the centre of the earth. Which features as a major plot point.

The acting's OK by Farrell and Beil and they both give a good strong action performance, however the true star is Kate Beckinsale's role as his fake wife then ardent nemesis. Kate show's she's best in the full on action roles and is totally believable as a hard as nails kick ass ruthless pursuer. She's absolutely brilliant in every scene she's in. From the ambiguous but memorable line "I give good wife", to her die hard relentless attempts to kill Farrell she is definitely the true star of this movie. I definitely want to see her in more action movies.

From the point of keeping you thrilled, this film scores 10 out of ten, from an acting view point I give Beckinsale 10/10 and the others 8/10. The CGI is definitely 10/10 even if the first scenes are so very reminiscent of blade runner. The action, stunts and fight scenes are well above a 10/10 rating. In short this would be a perfect film if not for some silly plot holes.

Now here's where the plot gets a bit silly. Douglas Quaid (Colin Farrell) lives in the UK travels by "the fall" to work in the colonies, where he's building synthetic soldiers that will be transported back to the UK to eventually use to invade the colonies, via the fall. There are terrorists who feel the fall generates second class citizens but no explanation why. UK owns the colonies, who are trying for independence, but are still owned by the UK, so why does the UK need to invade it? Quaid as Hauser has supposedly seen a kill code for the synthetic soldiers, if so why when he was first turned didn't he give it too the resistance. In this version he wasn't a pretend double agent he genuinely changed sides so why didn't he give it then? And as everyone seems to have recall technology why can only the leader of the resistance Matthias (Bill Nighy) get at it? Why endanger him? If anything Matthais roles seems to have been forced into the script from the original, but doesn't actually fit in this versions plot or premise. The the final annoying glaringly obvious plot hole. When the UK invades the colonies they load all their troops into the fall device and fall through the earth. The colonies know the invasion is coming through the fall we see news casts and alerts to the citizens warning them of the imminent invasion. So if they know its coming via the fall why not simply drop a bomb down the hole? Instantly kill the complete army and even block the only means of invasion ensuring their safety? Its so obvious its ridiculous.

Its this plot failure that makes me mark the overall film down to just 7/10. But if you don't care about that and just want an all action fun movie then this is definitely a must see film.

Total Recall Remake is a Total Waste of Time

Author: danmankp37 from United States
5 August 2012

Easily one of the worst movies of 2012 and one of the worst popcorn movies I have ever seen. It's quite a feat for Colin Farell to add less to a role than a former Austrian Body Builder turned action star but he managed. He had no charisma in the part, he had no presence whatsoever and no chemistry whatsoever with any of the female leads. Other than that he was great... Speaking of the female leads, I feared from the trailers that Wiseman was basically going to give Beckinsale a huge role in the film or he'd be sleeping on the couch and sadly that was the case. She essentially took the role of Richter from the first movie and was chasing Quaid around for 2 hrs. Every fight scene was overdone and cheesy. Kate's line delivery had me rolling my eyes and she was just trying too hard to be good in a terrible film. Jessica Biel looked good but she was just there. She had Nothing much to add, just a pretty face in a bad action movie. What else can I complain about oh yeah, the movies design was ugly, there was waaaaaay too much CGI and the rehashed plot was hard to follow. They didn't bother to copy anything from the old Total Recall that made it good, just redoing most of the major elements poorly to make the film lousy.

2/10 and that is being generous..

Why was this show Greenlighted, with such a poor script

Author: ghasl1 from Canada
8 August 2012

After I finally finished watching this movie it was like being on a roller coaster ride, it builds up to something, get adrenaline rush from all the action and thrills and it just keeps on going until you just want it to stop. An have a breather.

You know what I mean if you already seen it.

I have to admit the beginning of the movie had potential it was as if it was going somewhere, sci-fi or cyberpunk related theme or matrix innuendo with mind games etc with maybe a bit of philosophy, science or corporate greed whatever. Unfortunately it doesn't go in any direction its vacuous.

There is literally 'no pacing' in this movie except the first few mins and the piano scene, if you decided you wanted to take a leak, by the time you get back the action is still going. "Did I miss anything of the story?" No, because there is no story, I thought he was trying to get to Mars at one stage, but then it got weird like Bourne Identity, Minority Report, I Robot, Stormtrooper weird. And Douglas Quaid is still stuck at the airport and on Earth.

I give this movie good points for the graphics and the action but only to an extent, I actually thought there would be a sequel to explain more in detail because I knew the movie was going to end without explaining anything. No main villain (played by Bryan Cranston) would show up in person infront of the main hero unless it was strictly of importance, his got no hierarchy of henchmen or subordinates doing his ill will except for Kate Beckinsale's character and even she was acting alone, being all terminator throughout the whole movie. You exactly feel the villains are going to die abruptly just because there was too much running around and explosions throughout the movie.

There's no room for dialogue. Wished they actually gave character development.

All I can say is, if you have already seen the original Total Recall, and was hoping it would have better graphics but still retain some of the story, you will end up having mixed feelings.

For people who haven't seen the original you're lucky because you can see this Colin Farrell version as a prequel and then watch the Arnold version afterwards. Frankly watching it the other way around kinda spoils the mystery, even before I saw this reboot or remake version.

Shame

Author: nsoderi from London, England
6 October 2012

As most of everything else nowadays, another action movie with no chemistry or identity that stole a name of a great production from the 80's in order to make money. Lots of money invested in a movie with no context. It's hilarious how there is no one out there to make great scripts like the old times. Is lack or talent or motivation the main ingredients required to make movies today? What is it that avoids producers, directors and actors to make great movies and consequently great money? Sincerely, this decade is far winning the golden globe of rubbish movies in a decade ever released.

Don't wast your time or money with that!

Don't see this movie!

Author: Lukin900 from Australia
24 August 2012

I have just seen this film, and have to warn others not to see it. This film is rife with inaccuracies and things that don't make sense. The most obvious is, the film is set in Australia and Britain and all but a handful of characters have an English accent. Why Bill Nighy had to have an American accent I will never know. Even the chancellor of the Federation of Britain has an American accent. I find this odd, because as we all know no foreigner can be an American president. And Australia was treated even worse. Not an Australian accent to be heard, not even a fake one, as Hollywood likes to do. The renaming of Australia, I can only assume, has to be a reference to her past. It's odd how Americans forget that England had colonys in the Americas at the same time, and using these colonys for the exact same purpose. Australia's renaming can't be because of its relationship with Britain ( being in the commonwealth) because anyone who had done their research would know that Australia is a sovereign state. Then there's the issue of the currency, I understand that Barak Obama is a popular president but why would he appear on another country's currency? Also, anyone that had done research would know that military personel in both Australia and Britain pronounce lieutenant ( leftenant) only Americans mispronounce it(lootenant). I just could not follow the idea that these two great nations took all the worlds refugees after a chemical fallout, and all the other countries perished including the US, the only difference is the US had emptied. Everyone moved to the UK or Australia enough to destroy their language and culture. The last thing that didn't make sense, was the fight at the end between Quade and Cohagen. This battle takes place in the rain, but there was no water on their faces. It's a small gripe, I know. But it pulled me out of the movie. One last thing. Enough with the lense flares, looks like a design student that has just found the lense flare tool in photoshop.

Not as smart as the Schwarzenegger version. And it's odd that a company called "Original Films" made a movie that is based on a book, has already made into a film, and uses every cleche in sci fi film most notably "Bladerunner"

This movie is one long chase movie, it goes from one too long chase to another. Which would be fine, but it's at the expense of plot and character.

Worst movie ever

Author: Amol Kolhe from United States
5 August 2012

This movie seemed like an interesting watch with an expected plot line but interesting Actors/Actresses (Colin Ferrel, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Beil).

It turned out to be quite a drag. There was nothing interesting about the movie; the plot line was one we've seen so many times, but what made it worse was how poorly it was presented to us. I can't think of a single thing that I'd like to recall.

It reminded of Tron Legacy & Matrix, but while Matrix's dialogs about dream and reality worked fine in that movie. Similar talk in this movie was almost laughable (people were actually laughing out loud in the theater during serious scenes, because the dialog seemed so ridiculous). The Hero had (sort of) Amnesia, and everyone kept messing with his head and his memories. It was so rundown, it wasn't even funny. Some dialogs were stretched out more than they should've been.

The enemy was super powerful, with 100% surveillance everywhere, yet the Hero easily sneaks thro areas, and in the end manages to destroy the enemy while immobilizing the army.

This is the last time I'm recalling this movie, because I want to save a few good people from this waste.

Is EXACTLY what its mean to be - a THRILL RIDE

Author: Daniel Cumba from United States
10 August 2012

Before seeing this movie, I read many reviews. Many of them were giving this film a poor rating, stating that it doesn't come close to the original, stating that it doesn't have this or that, etc. I decided to ignore the reviews and form my own opinion of the movie - which is what you should do as well...

First of all, in my opinion, this movie is not a remake - it seems more like a Reboot. Same concept, some of the same characters, story line has changed. Once you can accept this movie as a standalone and not compare it to the original - I believe you will be very pleased.

Special effects are wonderful, Story was fast paced and exciting, actors are some of the best in the industry, and to me - it was a Thrill Ride from beginning to end.

The only reason I give it an 8 instead of 10 is because I wish the movie had been just a little longer for character development and so that the movie didn't feel so rushed. Aside from that, I thought it was a great movie!

Watch it and form your own opinion!

Boring

Author: Deadwoodz from United States
11 November 2012

As a remake or even as an original film this movie sucked, I was literally dozing off less than an hour in during one of the many chase scenes. This is the summary of the movie to save you time: Chase scene, 5 minutes of dialogue, chase scene, a little more dialogue, fight scene, chase scene, repeat until the end.

What a waste of 125 million. Hollywood blows money on worthless cgi effects and big named actors and completely forgets to hire good writers and focus on a good story. Instead we get this tiring cliché of a movie that's plagued with overdone cgi, too many fight/chase scenes and absolutely no soul. This doesn't even deserve 1 star.

Total Recall Flop

Author: (mo@inet-media.co.za) from South Africa
2 September 2012

I watched Total Recall today and was absolutely disgusted at the post production standard but more about that later. The storyline was pretty weak, no character development to speak of. Kate Beckinsale is best suited to playing a vampire which was pretty disappointing as she can shine when she truly wants to but as Farrell's arch nemesis, nope did not work at all. Jessica Biel was the "star" of the show as she was true to form with her normal 2 star lackluster performance for which she is noted, so no surprises there. Farrell's performance reminded me a lot of his Bullseye role in Daredevil in which no one ever figured whether he was happy, sad, angry or just bored. In this movie he was spot on with the same sort of devoid emotions. Pretty reminiscent of Miami Vice which was a great movie due to its good direction and excellent post work but Farrell tries a little too hard in every single movie he stars in. Please take a lesson or 2 from Cruise or Banderas about being natural. The most appalling aspect of this movie besides its lack of depth and shallow storyline etc etc was the post work. I am a professional visual effects supervisor, director, editor and DOP and have never ever seen such unnecessary use of flares in any movie..not ever. This was actually distracting and totally unnecessary. I counted off the flare shots and lost count after 40. Not a light source in sight yet a flare would show up on screen. Was this supposed to be a very long music video? I wish I could get hold of the director and voice my opinion.

1 out of 10...watch this only if you are being forced to...at gunpoint...

What a total waste of time.

Author: Vishal P from Australia
2 September 2012

I just came back from watching this awful movie and let me just say it was a total waste of time and and insult to the original. No story line and for god sake adding a touch of Australia when referring to down-under as a colony would have been a little respectful to the country. The colony felt like hongkong ... well what can be expected from some American director who made such hideously mind numbing movie. Also, I think it was made for Kate Beckinsale, by her husband, as in not one scene did she look unattractive, despite of the grotesquely never ending action scenes, and Jessica Biel looks not so attractive in most of the scenes. Sorry for venting as this movie gave me a massive headache.