IMDb > Total Recall (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 54: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

'We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.'

Author: gradyharp from United States
30 December 2012

Perhaps adding a little reference to Shakespeare adds a bit of dignity to this exercise in special effects wrapping Philip K. Dick's little short story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale". As entertainment this film works well for those who like clever constructs of apocalyptic destruction and robotic culture and the idea behind Dicks story is fascinating to a point. But to make this noisy jumble of fighting and falling and tension last over two hours is begging indulgence.

The summary with the product tells it well enough: 'Welcome to Rekall, the company that can turn your dreams into real memories. For a factory worker named Douglas Quaid (Colin Farrell), even though he's got a beautiful wife (Kate Beckinsale) who he loves, the mind-trip sounds like the perfect vacation from his frustrating life - real memories of life as a super- spy might be just what he needs. But when the procedure goes horribly wrong, Quaid becomes a hunted man. Finding himself on the run from the police - controlled by Chancellor Cohaagen (Bryan Cranston), the leader of the free world - Quaid teams up with a rebel fighter (Jessica Biel) to find the head of the underground resistance (Bill Nighy) and stop Cohaagen. The line between fantasy and reality gets blurred and the fate of his world hangs in the balance as Quaid discovers his true identity, his true love, and his true fate.

There is some fine dialogue that gives the film an uplift: Matthias (Bill Nighy) 'It is each man's quest to find out who he truly is but the answer to that lies in the present, not in the past. As it is for all of us.' Doug Quaid (Colin Farrell) 'But the past tells us who we've become.' Matthias: The past is a construct of the mind. It blinds us. It fools us into believing it. But the heart wants to live in the present, look there. You'll find your answer.' The actors cope with this concept well - Collin Farrell is more buff than ever and handles his impossible role well, and Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, Bryan Cranston, Bokeem Woodbine, and Bill Nighy (in a momentary role) all offer interesting moments.

If you love sci-fi and clever visual tricks then this is a film for you. If story is more important to you, then pass.

Grady Harp

Nowhere near as good as the original

Author: maxjones-172-168086 from Sciez, France
27 December 2012

Great CGI.

OK to see Kate Beckinsale.

Odd start, too fast.

Doesn't match the story Much preferred the original.

This is short because I cannot say anymore.

If you are a fan of the original book, read it again.

Then watch the original film again.

I was very disappointed with this film despite great effects.

I don't normally write reviews but I had to as the original film is in my top two ranking all time best.

I hope they don't try to remake Bladerunner.

Great Action Thriller. Terrific CGI

Author: (bob-rutzel-1) from United States
26 December 2012

Factory worker Douglas Quaid (Colin Ferrell) believes he has memories that he was a former spy. So he goes to a company that may be able to help; but when they hook him up they determine he already has these memories because HE IS a real spy. They try to disconnect him and his spy training takes over and he wipes out the room. What a guy!

Quaid still has memory problems: is he a factory worker or a spy? Eventually, he figures it out and knows he must stop an invasion that, if successful, will enslave the population. There will come a time in the story when you see Quaid become confused and they try to tell him he is actually still in that chair getting memories. Oh, oh now what?

For the most part, all we see are multiple fight scenes, bullets spraying all over the place and a lot of karate/Judo etc moves. And, in case you missed the Mr. and Mrs. Smith movie, Quaid and wife Lorie (Kate Beckinsale) go at it trying to off each other.

The cinematography is unbelievably good as we have never seen cities constructed as these are, with elevators going up and down and also sideways. It looked like cities were built over canyons becoming cliffs themselves. The fight scenes are many, too fast, and go on for too long, but the choreography is so amazingly good you don't mind. Kudos. No other way to say it.

The only problem I saw, other than trying to figure out who the good/bad guys were, was that Kate Beckinsale and Quaid's new girlfriend Melina (Jessica Biel) actually looked too much alike and I had to keep in mind what each one was wearing and who had the pony tail. Hey, that's a lot to remember.

This is a good futuristic non-stop action thriller with terrific CGI. We came for the action and we got it. (7/10)

Violence: Yes. Sex: No. Nudity: Yes, a 3-breasted woman appears for 5-seconds. Language: Yes, I think I heard one f-bomb, nothing else.

Not as good as original

Author: porches from Amherst, NY
23 December 2012

Maybe the studio thought by just having good looking actors in this movie they hoped to make money. It was hard to follow and moved way too fast . It had too much CG!! I like the action but the gun play is much too unrealistic and maybe there should have been much less of it. The movie industry uses guns like they are making a cartoon and that is not the way the real world works. They needed to get there act together on having too much gun play as that is Not as the world is and is less likely in the future. I did like the robots but the character development was much too poor. I did like the way that the cars were realistic as the future will have these type of cars. I did not see this movie at the theater and am glad I just bought the DVD instead. It was less entertaining than the earlier version of Total Recall.

Entertaining & Visually Superior!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
27 November 2012

A remake of the cult 1990 film of the same name, 'Total Recall' is Entertaining & Visually Superior! Its very well presented & in terms of entertainment, it hits the right notes.

'Total Recall' Synopsis: A factory worker, Douglas Quaid, begins to suspect that he is a spy after visiting Rekall - a company that provides its clients with implanted fake memories of a life they would like to have led - goes wrong and he finds himself on the run.

'Total Recall' is visually superior. The film is plain stunning to look at. The Action-Sequences are slightly restrained, but effective nonetheless. Mark Bomback, James Vanderbilt & Kurt Wimmer's Screenplay is entertaining & pays a decent tribute to the unforgettable original. Len Wiseman's Direction is laid back, as there are more of special effects in here that are suppose to inspire. Cinematography & Editing are proper. Art Design is magnificent.

Performance-Wise: Colin Farrell delivers a decent performance. Kate Beckinsale is scene-stealing good. Jessica Biel is her usual self. Bryan Cranston plays the ruthless & conniving villain with astonishment.

On the whole, 'Total Recall' works - as simple as that.

What about Mars?

Author: Rachel Gerstner
25 November 2012

They didn't even go to Mars. The beginning of the movie led you to believe they would be going into space or to Mars, but they never did. For those of you looking for a good Space Sci-Fi, don't watch this movie.

There was a lot of action to the movie, some good scenes and graphics, and a lot of it seemed to coincide with the original movie, but seemed dull and lacking.

Their twist on the story may have been OK, had I not enjoyed the original so much. Where were the mutants and where was the Martian Terra-forming? Instead they just thew a bunch of robots in and said, enjoy! Well, no thanks, if I wanted to see a movie about robots, I would watch I-Robot or Terminator.

Unrelenting but not much fun

Author: paudie from Ireland
2 October 2012

I was disappointed in this remake of Arnie's movie from the 90's. It is really made up of a series of chase scenes with not much else in between. A friend described the movie as unrelenting and that is a good description.

Set in a grim future Colin Farrell plays a factory worker who keeps having dreams where he is a secret agent. His wife, played by Kate Beckinsale, assures him not to worry but he feels that something is missing from his life so he goes for a session of "Rekall", where artificially created "memories" of his choice will be implanted in his brain. This is where the chase scenes start to kick in and the movie hurtles along to the conclusion.

Kate Beckinsale does seem to relish her dual role but of the other actors Farrell and Jessica Biel aren't stretched at all. Bryan Cranston is wasted as a pantomime villain and Bill Nighy has a bizarre five-minute role in which he has to utter some dreadful dialogue.

My memory of the original movie is quite vague (maybe I should get some Rekall myself!) but I certainly remember it being a lot more fun than this.

Fast and Furious - and confusing

Author: davidgee from United Kingdom
13 September 2012

Not so much a remake as a re-imagining, this is a dizzying movie in more ways than one. The extended chase and fight sequences on grungy city streets and futuristic aerial freeways are as vivid as those in Blade Runner and Inception, both of which this film calls to mind (though it's not as good as either of them).

Where I got lost (as does Doug Quaid) was in Cohaagen's headquarters in a vast tower block, which incorporates a gigantic express elevator that seems to link Britain with the Colony (Australia) - presumably via the earth's core. Did I miss something?

Colin Farrell has a powerful screen presence, but even he can't quite hold this confusing movie together. The 1990 version had awesome special effects that created a genuine flavour of the 'otherworldliness' of life on Mars. This earthbound version is pacey and enjoyable at the level of an arcade game or a Fast and Furious movie, but it hasn't got the Wow Factor: too much action, not enough plot.

I never expected to say this but I kind of missed Arnie Schwarzenegger - clumsy, yes, and barely articulate, but always very, very watchable!

something was missing from it

Author: Gazzaboy17 from United Kingdom
3 September 2012

i never saw the original total recall i had heard it was a good movie and when i see the trailer for the new one it looked good the story is basically a guy who goes to recall and something goes wrong and we find out hes a spy this part of the movie is fine the rest is just a cgi party and it seems like the whole movie is two people being chased overall its an okay movie with some nice action but i was hoping for more from this film. oh and if you are going to see this film and you have seen the original it is not the same there is no mars just the united federation of Britain and Australia. and the other thing that is worth a mention Kate Beckinsale performance is one of the highlights of the movie.

Twice the action, half the story

Author: yanqui from London
2 September 2012

This has some great futuristic effects, stunning scenes, great action, 3-titted women and kate beckinsale being hot for a gal pushing 40.

I was mostly entertained for two hours, but it didn't have the story the original one had, no mutants, no mars, no aliens, the whole air supply subplot had been cut and replaced with..well...some kind of something, something...well to be honest something I don't care about.

All the action was centred around 3 people and there was plenty of it but in the end what it amounts to is yet another film with great potential ruined by mundane good vs bad fighting sequences and a non existent back-story. 6/10