IMDb > Total Recall (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 16 of 54: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [Next]

Even with all that action, it's still a snooze-fest

Author: Sherazade from United States
16 February 2014

When I heard that they had made a new 'Total Recall' I didn't know what to think actually because I vaguely remember watching the original when I was younger and had (and still have) no interest in re-watching it even if only for reference purposes. Recently however, I decided to throw caution to the wind and watch the remake for the sake of the actors in it that I like (Colin Farrell, Jessica Biel, Bokeem Woodbine, John Cho etc.) and suspend my disgust for the one I can't stand (Kate Beckinsale) and let me just say now that this film made me dislike her (Beckinsale) even more. Naturally, she was cast here as the lead actress (her real life husband Len Wiseman's the director) and she navigates the her role as a secret agent with the same frozen-face-fake-annoying-excuse-for-acting as seen in any one of her various other roles. The usually great Farrell looks about as confused as the clumsy script he's enacting, Biel is promisingly seen briefly in the beginning and returns for the latter portion of the film but by that time I had completely lost interest all together.

A so-so remake of a film which didn't need remaking

Author: AlexGrant83
29 December 2013

I'm not a fan of remakes, and Hollywood seems rather keen on them at the moment. Some films really just don't warrant it, and Total Recall is one of these titles.

In an effort to add a grittier, more serious storyline to the basic plot of the original, the remake has lost the tongue-in-cheek humour and character which made the 1990 film such a success, and so fondly remembered by fans.

The new film trumps its namesake on special effects, there's no question about it, but in the meantime it's become just another Hollywood shoot-em-up and the additional complexities of the plot don't give it enough weight to work properly.

As a result, it's the worst of both worlds. It manages to shed all of the original's character without doing its own thing enough to stand up on its own. Not a terrible film by any means, but a disappointing remake of a film which didn't need remaking in the first place.

Put it this way, in 23 years I can't see people looking back on this as fondly as people do on the original.

worst movie i ever saw in my life and no one can Replace Arnold Schwarzengger

Author: nikola17 from Australia
20 August 2013

now in this movie people say it's different it's different no way people say a lot bulls**t and rip off from another action scenes and i wish never been made that what i wish and Colin Farrell really ? for main character ? should be Douglas Quaid ? this is movie director from Live or Free Die Hard and Underworld 1 and 2 and i like this director but this movie was very crap rip of scenes was used in Fifth Element the car chasing scenes and i Robot scenes the cops robots were rip off from I Robot with will smith that movie is better then this piece of crap,this was rip off from minority report as well all these computer

technology staff it's like watching Minority Report but Colin Farrell was in Minority Report with Tom Cruise but i think he's trying to be better then Tom Cruise but no EPIC FAIL. storyline didn't make any sense in start it is all about dreams no mars no noting it's complete Bull crap Jessica Biel plays Melina ?really i got really got chick way better then Jessica Biel Melina ? no way Melina should been Kate Beckinsale or Genesis Rodriguez or someone and i didn't like Colin Farrell that much he is not best actor i don't mind Colin that much I liked S.W.A.T remake he does a lot of remakes this i wish not and i

like Alexander and another remake of Miami Vice i liked that movie but this ??? no freaking way this movie should be bomb and it's boring it's Terrible film and fake dreams and on original virtual vacation memories of the planet Mars, an unexpected and harrowing series of events forces him to go to the planet for real, or does he? same thing same thing its called remake but in different way it's all about fake dream OK in start of movie when had dream about place and girl who his with woke up

said it was dream goes to total recall get's into trouble goes home his wife try's to kill him wow is this different ???? people need to wake up to think very hard it's samething but what they changed is fake memories and Dreams just like minority report its like Len wise man watched Minority Report wanted copy that movie into this ? i don't know how people liked this ? i don't know how the heck is this different ? but i think there minds are out of there minds this story is crap and

it's like watching Minority report 2: Total Recall without tom cruise this sucks i wish they changed the title of this movie made it different people say they try to make it realistic ????? we try to make it realistic you try but you failed!!!!!!! how many remakes are you going to do when you try to make it Realistic ?? if Hollywood does all remakes when they say they making it Realistic they are always going to failed ! when they don't care i like Remakes i think remakes most of times is good when they make it different when this movie is not different but i like many remakes but not this no way this movie didn't

need to be remade because (1990) Total Recall was best turned out good Hollywood needs to remake crap movies the original wasn't crap everyone loved it, original was hit but not biggest hit like Terminator or Minority Report. this movie sucks same thing over and over over again noting is different Colin Farrell does a lot of remakes he should play something different for now this movie sucked 1/10 this movie failed

try to be realistic if you going to make movie that based on anything think very harder to make it realistic they try to make it different %1 different %100 FAILED this was samething what was different fake dreams the rest of movie is just samething in Total Recall (1990) Fifth Element (1997) I Robot (2004) Minority Report (2002) that's what they ripped off to make it different yeah sure when Len Wiseman copyed all these movies again no one was even Excited i think this movie should not get a sequel ! it would be more worst more copyright of another movies like in this one 1/10 no sequels for this movie

Better than I was led to believe...

Author: Andy Steel
19 May 2013

Very heavy on the special effects, which are all very well done by the way, this film looks great. The narrative, although quite well known to me, was told in a unique enough for me to accept it as a new take on the same story. The performances were all very good, particularly Colin Farrell and Kate Beckinsale. I just wish they had made Jessica Biel look a bit more different to Kate Beckinsale; they look too similar, a different hair colour would have helped! On the downside, I did find the premise a little weak and that did kind of spoil it for me. It does look very spectacular though and for those who are fans of the original; yes, there a triple breasted hooker to be found. Worth a look; yes… Unless you're a die-hard Arnie fan.

SteelMonster's verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 6.7/10

You can find an expanded version of this review on my blog: Thoughts of a SteelMonster.

My views about the movie

Author: gzmnuruzun from Turkey
20 April 2013

Last summer , I watched Total Recall on cinema . It is a since fiction film . İf you love since fiction film the Total Recall you should watch .

The Total Recall ' s story really very interesting . Full of surprise . Is it really or imagined ?It understand very difficult .

Total Recall of the lead actor Colin Farrell very successful actor . The movie ' s actors very successful and good actors .

Total Recall is very gripping , it is very excited , it is very good , it is not predictable , it is not dull . In short total Recall spectacular movie .

I like the movie . In my opinion everyone should see this film . It is the worth watching . So I think that .

Enough already

Author: RNMorton from West Chester, Pa
13 April 2013

I really liked the original of this. Arnold was, well, Arnold, but Sharon Stone fit the wife role to a T, Rachel Ticotin was great and the plot was obscure but in the end if you thought it through it sort of made sense. Some special effects but not so it runs the movie, Then there's this. Colin Farrell is okay as the fit, tight-lipped hero, Jessica Biel is ALWAYS welcome as the best looking girl in movies (and a fine actress), and Kate Beckinsale is almost equally appreciated as the nice looking witch. So the first hour or so runs okay, the problem is the eventually endless sequence of Colin with or without Biel gets free, the bad guys corner him in what looks like certain doom, somehow Farrell gets loose, Beckinsale is mad.....repeat 10 or 15 times. The escapes get increasingly unbelievable and other than the above recipe there really isn't much going on. I DO like watching Biel and Beckinsale but I did what I rarely do this far into a movie, at 1:15 or so I shut it down and never looked back. Some good elements, pretty much wasted.

Not as good as the original...

Author: richieandsam
3 February 2013

TOTAL RECALL

As soon as I heard they were remaking Total Recall I was not impressed. I honestly believe they are remaking too many films. It would be nice to have more original ideas instead of most of the time ruining a classic movie. There are a few remakes that I really liked, but I can't think of a single remake that I have seen that is better then the original. Unfortunately, Total Recall is no exception.

The original is a classic... I love it so much that I think it is one of Arnies better films.

This remake was pretty good though.

The action scenes were amazing... the effects, camera angles and fighting scenes were really impressive. I also loved the futuristic gadgets and vehicles. There is an awesome scene where the hover car was falling and stops right before hitting the floor... don't worry... that scene is in the trailer so I have not spoiled anything.

The story was not put together brilliantly. The original was flowing a lot smoother. This film just didn't seem to gel together that well in places.

The acting was alright. I am not a huge Colin Farrell fan, but he did a good job. Kate Beckinsale was awesome in this, just a really really bad shot... but great at hand to hand fighting. Jessica Biel was alright... not the greatest actress ever, but not too bad to ruin the movie.

I liked the little sly nods to the original film though... there were some great bits in it that were repeated from the original... "Two week..." & "I'm gonna make you wish you had 3 hands" to name 2. :)

I will give this film 6 out of 10...

Pretty good, but not brilliant.

For more reviews, please like my Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ordinary-Person-Movie- Reviews/456572047728204?ref=hl

Annoying

Author: Richard Boase from london
3 February 2013

This film makes absolutely no sense. It annoys me so much when screen-writers and director alike ignore the intelligence of their audience. Like Gravity for instance; it only seems to affect certain characters in this film, ie the bad guys. Good guys can apparently travel at terminal velocity in both directions, without sticking to the ceiling. One might almost be tempted to ask what the point of strapping yourself in like you were at a fairground is, and though it looks beautiful, it should have been only an hour long as the action is tiresome and would have fitted a punchier format, like a short story. The director ought to have taken a risk with that at least. We don't WANT to sit through a remake of Total Recall; we LIKED the original, so yes, buy all means make it beautiful, but don't waste our time!!

Next up on the stupid list: How do you travel through the centre of the earth's core... without burning up exactly? Or getting your 'drop-ship' melted in lava??? Oh you've built a metal tunnel... through THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH? ?Obvious really. (And an economic cinch, despite global warfare; Earth has continued on a hyper-industrial course. Yeah right. Has anyone told these guys (writers directors) they're living in a FANTASY WORLD??

More 'genius' from the guy who thought up the robots who, whilst they can jump and act like superhumans, can't even get a single shot to hit their targets despite cornering them multiple times in totally unfair circumstances. For instance, when hundreds of soldiers and robots surround the heroes in the lobby scene... what happened? Were they distracted by the terrible plot, that they couldn't shoot the girl and force him to surrender??

...and the magic box lifts. Great touch. An explosion goes off that destroys a whole part of the network... but those little boxes keep 'flying about'...??? It's a real shame we have to waste precious resources on the kind of idiots that come up with this stuff.

Oh brilliant. Cohagen does all his own dirty work.. like killing Mathias, and leading the invasion on the colony. And he has nothing better to do than supervise his inept troops WHO CAN"T EVEN KILL ONE MAN... At this point you begin to suspect that Cohagen might not be successful in his invasion attempts...

The odd thing about this movie is that the plot seems so hashed together. The original short story 'We can remember it for you wholesale' was silly, even comic, but the Verhoeven film was comic in a similar way and kept some of the key plot points. This film doesn't even play with the issue of identity and doubt subtly as the original does...

This film is very beautiful, but it's INCREDIBLY TIRESOME.

RECALL 4 Dummies

Author: m-a-elsewhere
2 February 2013

Puerile retread that director Len Wiseman uses as an excuse to...yet again...cast his wife as a gun-toting' killer in fetish leather. To justify her presence, the movie is larded with repetitive, often pointless chases. And in order to make time for these, the remake ditches every last bit of imagination, originality, satire and wit from the 1990 original.

The result is RECALL 4 DUMMIES. No Mars. No Kuato. No alien cities. No Benny. Not the least ghostly whisper of Philip K. Dick. Colin Farrel doesn't even have an Austrian accent.

Instead, this version has...elevators. That's it. Elevators, lots of them—big, small, fast, slow, going in all directions. Mostly so people can shoot at and chase each other while on elevators or in cars that double as elevators; the clashing mix of technologies has no internal logic & the world building is hopelessly slip-shod. The central conflict is: who will control the elevators? The helpless, unarmed, starving & rain-soaked workers on one end? Or the evil psycho billionaire tyrant with all the jobs and an army of countless gazillion Robo-Gestapo on the other?

Although, really, when one wields an infinite horde of Robo-Gestapo, the entire rest of the plot—what little there is of it—is unnecessary. Then again, "unnecessary" describes the entire remake and all its elements.

Another remake that just makes you wish you were watching the original

Author: mistaphill-1 from United States
13 January 2013

The previews didn't impress me at all, so I avoided this in the theaters. On a recent cross country flight, this movie was available as a choice, so what the hell! The first thing you immediately notice is that Colin Farrell is hardly a half an Arnold. The first movie had an awesome Mars setting, interesting characters, and was a lot of fun.This movie has none of that. The first movie had actual villains to root against. This movie has you looking at your watch. Watered down is an understatement when comparing movies. Had I not seen the way more memorable 1990 movie, I may have rated this slightly higher. Maybe. This version is 100% forgettable. Watch the original, or anything else, instead of this dud.