IMDb > Total Recall (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 53: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Not that bad

Author: ramseycheese
21 August 2015

Before watching this I had not seen the original so I can not compare. However this movie as a standalone film was a good watch. Colin Farrell performed very well and so did a few others, however that can not be said for all. The story was interesting and seemed easy to read from the start but I soon began to doubt my own predictions for the plot. One thing that I did not like about this film is it seemed to borrow scenes and ideas from other films which really were too obvious and unoriginal. This film did have good cgi and action and brought in some interesting views of the future. I would say this is a good standalone action film which is a good watch if you want to see a bit of futuristic action.

Decent Remake

Author: averystorm-54196 from Canada
18 June 2015

I went into this with fairly low expectations, and certainly not looking to compare every second of the film to the original. However, it's inevitable that certain comparisons are going to be made, and this movie does fall short when those comparisons are made. Colin Farrell may be a better actor than Arnold, but he's definitely not a better action star. That's the movie's biggest shortcoming. The lead character is just not that good. He's a modern mopey action hero, with a boring life, and even more boring personal problems. In an escapist action movie, I don't want to see me as the lead character. I want to see someone who I want to be.

Now with that out of the way, I can move on to the more positive aspects of the film. In an action movie, you need good action, and that is where this movie excels. Sure, it's not the blood soaked original, but it has it's own charm. You pretty much get a dose of everything in this, from hand-to-hand fights, on foot chases, gun fights, and one of the better car chases I've seen in recent memory. All handled really well, and taking place within imaginative set-pieces, that are a feast for the eyes. The film's look was clearly inspired by Blade Runner, and as un-imaginative as that might seem, it works well.

The absolute best part of this movie is the two female leads. Seriously, they should've just scrapped Ferrell, tweaked the script, and let Biel take the reigns. Beckinsale and Biel absolutely own this movie, and whenever they are on screen together, the movie is always better for it. Unfortunately, they're basically feuding over Mr. Everyman in every scene, and you can't help but wonder how much better the movie would be without that distraction.

Another problem I had near the end of the film, was Beckinsale's character being pushed to the background, for everyone's favorite meth dealer, Walter White. Look, I like Cranston, but he's not Daniel Day Lewis. He's not fit for every role out there, and this is a shining example of that. He plays the most bland villain, in a movie that didn't need another big baddie. He's basically in the movie because he's Bryan Cranston and he's riding the wave of Breaking Bad. He has no screen presence in this, no charisma, and is just shoehorned in as the supervillain/end boss, so they could put his name on the ads.

As for the story, well it's essentially the original with a few tweaks. Nothing worth going in-depth about. The ending isn't nearly as effective as it was in the original, but that's the only real negative thing I can think of. All in all, it mostly works.

Overall, I think the movie has been a little harshly criticized for not being the original. It has it's flaws for sure, but you could do a lot worse in the genre. Check it out.

Only habitable environments to men being the British Isles

Author: cmv32261 from United States
17 June 2015

Only habitable environments left to mankind being the British isles, space stations, space craft, and some place referred to as the colony. Who to blame for such a unbelievably stupid plot, I guess the Producer, Directors, Screen Writers, and the Science consultants they consulted with. The United Kingdom would have been every bit as contaminated by the chemical warfare as every place else. As always those imbeciles that were responsible for the average rate being somewhere between 6 and 7 have no knowledge of what true cinematographic art is and only bestowed such a high rating to the movie because of the Special Effects, same type of people that stupidly made J.J. Abrams version of Star Trek so popular.

Best Movie Ever, Well #2 Favourite

Author: James Wood from United Kingdom
28 May 2015

2 years on and still, Total Recall is my favourite movie; it's the ultimate sci-fi action adventure. This remake is a blast of fast paced action with a breathtaking world at the centre of the story. Colin Farrell stars as Douglas Quaid, a factory worker who visits Rekall, a revolutionary company who can implant fake memories of a life their client's wish they had. Quaid's dreams of becoming a super spy soon become real as he is forced to go on the run and the line between what's real and what's not blurs.

What follows is a heart-pounding chase movie that spans across the stunningly created world of the "UFB" and "The Colony", with landscape visual effects that are the best I have ever seen, you will be fully immersed into the world of Recall. Taking the lead role is Colin Farrell who plays Quaid this time round. I prefer Farrell over Schwarzenegger's original Quaid, Farrell seems more realistic and vulnerable whereas Arnold will always be Terminator to me, an unbreakable machine.

The supporting cast are excellent, they don't fall behind the main characters shadow and they are very well fitted to the film, for me the film really gets going when Kate Beckinsale turns to that sexy British accent of hers and reveals herself to Quaid, "I'm UFB police Intel, assigned to play your wife, six weeks ago I didn't even know you" right after they fight it out. Lori literally snaps, switches to bad girl mode and every single camera shot of her is hot, and Beckinsale's evil facial expressions are awesomely sexy, gritting her teeth as she fires weapons, she propels this movie, a one woman killing machine filled with motivation to kill her target and a knack for defying her leader's orders.

Jessica Biel plays Melina, a lieutenant of the Resistance. Biel plays the innocent part, a sort of love interest for Quaid, and the moment she appears in the hover car my jaw dropped, she has authority and when she's in the action scenes she kicks ass. Her best line is "Oh I'm ending this bitch", right after she fires at Lori in a firefight. Jessica Biel carries the emotional bulk for the movie which is a big job and she does it well.

The best new is that the characters don't fall back behind the action; they are focused on closely during the action as they are knocked about brutally. I can't get over how exhilarating the sequences are, they are some of the best I have ever seen, each of them are expertly crafted, very well shot and wild from start to finish. The Hover Car sequence is the best part of this epic adventure, it moves so fast you feel part of the chase thanks to seamless visuals, the world of the UFB in the background and a riveting motion, plus the camera focuses on the characters getting knocked about as they dodge and ram into traffic at ridiculous speeds. The elevator scene is suspenseful as Quaid and Melina jump from unbelievable heights to escape capture, there's a great catfight in a lift between Lori and Melina whilst Quaid fights against a synthetic cop. I loved the rooftop escape from Quaid's home, and the finale on "The Fall" is explosive and brutal as knives slash and fists punch with ferocity, plus the zero-gravity moment is jaw dropping. Harry Gregson Williams' soundtrack is perfectly fitted to all this excitement, in fact he enhances it even further.

Len Wiseman's superb direction and lens flare effects give this movie a stunning visual flair, the excellent cast blend together very nicely along with a haunting and futuristic soundtrack that fits so well with the on-screen action, especially during the Hover-Car chase and Elevator sequence. The cast are spectacular, with Kate Beckinsale stealing the show. The special effects are outstanding; Total Recall is action perfection and strong storytelling from top to bottom.

Exactly what you would Expect from a Remake, Mediocrity,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
12 May 2015

Total Recall is a mediocre movie with a reasonably well written storyline and a cast that are clearly only in it for the paycheck. It's not particularly enjoyable, but as it is a remake you wouldn't expect much, I don't think that they're always bad ideas, but this 1990 sci-fi Arnold Schwarzenegger film did not need one, it just felt very unnecessary, the entire time I was watching it all I could think about was how did anyone think it was a good idea. The effects are certainly stunning and the best part of the entire movie, they clearly put good money in to it and some great action sequences take us away from how poor the film itself generally is. The weakest point is the major plot changes, though I do think it's right to do this is in remakes, to a certain degree, but it was too extreme here, going to Mars is the whole point of Total Recall, which they don't even do in this movie, it's like making a new Jurassic Park without dinosaurs, it simply didn't feel right. It's not awful and certainly has its moments, but Total Recall is a very weak remake that nobody asked for, and I think people would be better off avoiding it.

After visiting a company that implants memories in to your brain, a factory worker finds himself on the run.

Best Performance: Colin Farrell Worst Performance: Jessica Biel

If you have any recommendations on films/TV series I should watch or review,or any questions to ask me,just tweet me @DillonTheHarris

A quick review of "Total Recall" (2012)

Author: ericrnolan from United States
8 May 2015

"Total Recall" (2012) was a fun, slick update of the 1990 classic; I'd give it an 8 out of 10. It can't match the magic of the original (especially with the abandonment of one particular twist near the end), but it was still fun enough. Plus, any fast-paced, CGI-heavy, sci-fi action movie with both Jessica Biel and Kate Beckinsdale really is just pure nerd fun.

Beckinsdale grows on me. She's a great actress, especially in roles that require her to be powerful or angry, and she does physical stunt-work superbly. She deserves to carry her own franchise, and I mean something better and more mainstream than the "Underworld" films.

Anyway … I'm pretty sure I have a good answer to this movie's central mystery (as well as that of its predecessor). This is the question of whether or not everything Quaid witnesses is real. (Is he a secret agent, or is this all a fantasy generated by "Rekall?")

It is real, and here's why. In both movies, the viewer witnesses events that are outside of Quaid's experience. For example, we see the police plotting to capture him and interviewing witnesses. Quaid is nowhere near these events when they occur, and does not see or hear them; therefore they cannot be part of his virtual reality fantasy. Yet you and I see them up on the screen. So they are real, within the story, and not imagined by Quaid. To me, it all seems pretty straightforward.

All in all, this was a fun ride. I recommend it.

Enjoyable But Muted Remake Of Sci-Fi Spy Classic

Author: ShootingShark from Dundee, Scotland
18 April 2015

In the late twenty-first century, Douglas Quaid works a menial job constructing security robots. Seeking excitement, he goes to Rekall, a company selling fake memory implants. Suddenly he is thrust into an espionage adventure where he holds the key to an invasion; but is this really happening, or just a delusion in his mind ?

This remake of the Verhoeven / Schwarzenegger science-fiction classic has good points and bad points, but overall is pretty enjoyable and deserves respect for trying a different premise from the original, albeit balancing this with the expected big budget action and effects. It has several good ideas, but in my view many of them veer towards the Silly Science category; the Fall concept is interesting but if there's only one tunnel how many people can you realistically transport each day (not to mention the apparent absence of gravitational forces climbing an external ladder on a vehicle travelling about 30000 kmh). Visually it's a lot of fun, especially the production design by Patrick Tatopoulos, which mixes grimy rusty overcrowded slums in the first half with shiny super-duper stuff in the second, and there is a good score by the reliable Harry Gregson-Williams. However, a lot of the elements seem familiar from other, better, science-fiction films; the rain-drenched masses from Blade Runner, the villain's robot army from I, Robot, the hovercars from Minority Report. The biggest liability for me though is the script - the Verhoeven movie is full of fun, goofy ideas and buckets of gore (only he would have a dwarf prostitute with a machine gun), while this one is much more restrained and dogmatic, substituting too much action and visual effects where humour and characterisation are needed more. The cast do their best but haven't much to do except look confused and pant a lot as they rush about (I hope Nighy was paid well because his role is the most thankless I've ever seen). The exception is nutty Beckinsale, who livens things up as the traitorous pseudo-wife and steals the show. I love the way she deftly plays the first half-hour with a standard middle-America accent, then switches to a well-heeled English one (she's from London) after her cover is blown. It must have been interesting for Wiseman (the director of the first two Underworld movies) to cast Beckinsale in this role, since she is his real life wife.

Plenty of action, not much else

Author: Adam Peters from Birkenhead United Kingdom
3 April 2015

(49%) A largely strait-forward remake of a sci-fi 80's classic that swaps the hard-edged dark comicbook sense of humour and violence for action, action, and more action. This really isn't a bad film, and despise featuring a tunnel that goes all the way through the planet, it's just so very ordinary and forgettable. Colin Farrell is better than most could have been, but unlike his stuntman he's given very little to work with here. His support is fine even if they're given even less to do than even Mr Farrell. As a remake this fails to better the Arnie hit, but as a decent little time-passer that for the most part will mildly entertain throughout, and for that reason alone this gets a half decent recommendation from me.

Remake that fails to step up

Author: willcundallreview from United Kingdom
12 March 2015

Rating-5/10

Total Recall is a movie remake that although does boast good action and OK performances, it never manages to break free from the usual thing we see in Sci-Fi movies and action and ends up average. Not the best but not the worst remake ever seen this should please some people but I strongly feel those who have seen and like the original will be sorely disappointed in this one and who has replaced Arnie.

Now the cast including Colin Farrell, Jessica Biel, Kate Beckinsale and Bryan Cranston sounds like an OK movie and one that should pass by relatively untouched, but with this it's a remake of a movie seen as a cult classic so you know you have to be top notch to please die hard fans. They don't put on a bad show and it is far from bad acting, in fact it's pretty much not the actors faults I found this one a so so affair but it's the writing.

Now the writing as I say is the main catalyst not only for generic fights and Sci-fi ideas but also for the weak dialogue and almost at times it seems it makes actors seem worse. The script really Is the sucker punch right in the heart of this movie and with a better writer or just a better bit of script from the numerous writers involved on this, it could have been so much more fun. The director Len Wiseman isn't so bad and he manages a steady ship at his helm, The action we see in movies he has done like Die Hard is plain to see and involved in this is a hell of a lot of roof top chases and smashing through things, good old action fun.

I wasn't too sure what to make of the effects used here and although this is what I think is the top brand CGI these days, it still feels overused and the landscape un lovingly crafted. All and all even the sets seem too much like a stolen piece of Blade Runner and the only set that really interested me is one that gets destroyed within minutes, great stuff. I felt the lack of humour is one thing again that takes the lovingly crafted part out as it seems stale and never ever not even once tries to joke around or crack a joke, poor writing again.

Is Farrell better that Schwarzenegger?, well no, now don't get me wrong again, Colin is probably better that Arnie but in the original so much strangeness and life came from that movie, with this feeble remake only stalling any character development within the first 10 minutes. Is it an interesting movie, well yes it is and I imagine if you say let 100 people watch this, 50 would enjoy and 50 would not that is just what this movie is like, mixed reactions and bordering on boring.

I think it is worth a watch though, my review so far may seem bitterly negative but I assure you it is far from awful, it manages at least to bring good action scenes, albeit similar to movies seen before but still exciting and pulsating. I would recommend this to anyone who basically like, and here is that word again, Sci-fi, this is an interesting plot and I tell you that if no one has seen or knows what the originals about, then they may enjoy this much much more. Now one question if you wanting to watch this may be "does it have links to the original?" and well although that is a perfectly reasonable question, in the eyes of the director it is not. The film only offers fleeting glimpses of it's older twin and in the end feels disconnected and lost. So overall a pretty average affair although a strong go at it.

Better than I had expected

Author: stephen7272 from United Kingdom
9 March 2015

1. I'd read reviews saying this movie was a let down. It wasn't for me. I enjoyed it.

2. Lots of eye candy for boys and girls.

3. Kate Beckinsale plays the baddie with real enthusiasm and as hot as ever. Colin Farrell is a competent actor for action movies. It'll be interesting to see the roles he takes as he gets older.

4. Blade Runner / 5th Element style cities but without the rain.

5. Dialogue is weak. Quite a few pointless conversations about the meaning of life and the past.

6. The magnetic car chase was a pleasant additive.

7. In hindsight the idea of a brain implant isn't necessary. The protagonist could have just been a double agent from the start.

8. Bill Nighy has terrible lines and struggles with an American accent. Wrong casting choice for me.

9. The CGI was good work by the animators.

10. Overall, I enjoyed this version more than the original.

11. Rather baffled as to why this did so badly at the box office. Bad timing? Fans of the original complained too much?

12. I'd be happy to see a sequel.