IMDb > Total Recall (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 50: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Mind-numbing, bombastic fun.

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
23 August 2012

I quite enjoy Arnie's Total Recall, but I am by no means a die-hard fan and subsequently viewed this updated version without prejudice or the desire to compare. Len Wiseman, director of guilty pleasures Underworld and Die Hard 4.0, has delivered the mind-numbing, bombastic goods yet again. His Recall is packed with exciting futuristic landscapes, stylish action sequences (the vertigo-inducing car chase was thrilling) and near-perfect CGI; all merging to create a wonderful couple of hours of real-life escapism. The story is engaging without being mind-blowing – and it chucks in a few cheeky references to 1990's Recall – however it runs out of puff in the final act and provides a ho-hum ending. Colin Farrell is reliable as the perplexed anti-hero, Jessica Biel notches up another satisfactory action chick role and Kate Beckinsale most definitely "gives good wife", however Bryan Cranston lets the team down as the one-dimensional villain. Slotting in somewhere under Christopher Nolan and above P.T. Anderson on the filmmaking scale, Wiseman isn't a master of the blockbuster movie but he certainly knows how to produce a rollicking good ride.

Worth the time; probably not worth watching twice in the theater

Author: captaincameron from Tampa, Florida
11 August 2012

I always click spoiler alert because I don't want to inadvertently let something slip and have IMDb block my reviews. But I try not to give too much away, because frankly, if you want to know what's in the movie, go see the movie. But had been looking forward to this for some time, and it was not disappointing. Remakes generally suck, of course. I think this was a better movie than the original as far as production and cinematography, but there were some problems. In the original Arnie seemed to have some trouble with the idea that his memory might have been altered; in the original, Colin questioned it once and then sort of said "Fuck it, okay." But the action scenes were well put together. Some a little too long for no apparent reason, but still good. Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel were awesome, Kate even more so. I know I've spent too much time watching Soap Net when I was waiting for the two of them to fall into a swimming pool while fighting. Much like the first, of course (and rightly so) we never know if it all really happened or if it was just an implanted memory. But still, it was fun.

At last a reboot that doesn't just try to reshoot the original

Author: chebs1 from United Kingdom
13 November 2012

Before I start let me say that I too loved the original when it first came out. It was original in it's day. It was also yet another Arnie film to source for movie one-liners and quips. Unfortunately, the very things that made it fun also made it a pretty silly sci-fi film.

I'll just say straight out that I loved this reboot. It's not played for laughs which is a smart move - yes in the day Arnie's comedic one-liners where right for the time but now the audience that loved that film has grown up, moved on and wants a more serious version, what's wrong with that?

The story has been re-written and has removed the need for Mars as a back drop or the, frankly, silly premise of mind reading mutants.

There is a lot of action, in fact once Quaid gets to Rekall, the film becomes a non-stop roller-coaster of action. Again, I don't understand why people are complaining about this. It's suppose to be a sci-fi/ action film, the original was a sci-fi/action film what's is the problem?

If there is a criticism it would be that other than the main characters, namely those played by Farrel, Beckinsale and Biel, the other main characters (Cohaagen and Matthias) don't really get any explanation or introduction, then again do they need it? I'm not so sure.

For all those complaining about the fact that the original kept you guessing as to whether it really was a dream or reality. You obviously haven't seen both versions (the theatrical release and the directors cut). Lets just say in one it goes one way in the other another.

So, bottom line, if you want a really well put together sci-fi/action film with cutting edge special effects, an excellent story that is really well acted by all involved, watch this. If you want to reminisce and bitch about anything that's different, don't watch this. Either way suit yourself.

Enjoyable

Author: cm_fox from New Zealand
27 August 2012

If like me you're just looking for entertainment in this movie then you won't be disappointed. I was absorbed... the music, costumes, technology, etc. It was well done.

I forgot about everything else and became completely engrossed. For what I was looking for, i rate this movie highly.

I knew the story going in. I saw the original. Its a copy of someone else's idea so its not a movie to judge on story, although the story itself is well done and brings "it down to earth" a little better than the original.

Forget the critics trying to address these types of movies on some kind of artistic level. Irrelevant. You go to these to lose yourself in an imaginary world of the future, well made, with lots of good CGI.

They clearly spent some money on this and put it together well. This was an enjoyable film which is why I give it 7.0. If you're a fan of these types of movies go see it, you'll be entertained and will forget about everything else for 135 minutes.

amaze balls

Author: sita_chez from United Kingdom
14 September 2012

OMG what is up with some people ragging on this movie I'm a huge fan of the original Arnie version, one of my faves of his work, and was very worried they'd mess this up but I loved every minute of it.

Yes they have changed the story up a little, no longer set on mars but on a damaged Earth which has only two parts of the planet actually live-able anymore (not a spoiler as this is presented at the very start, written across the screen, and on all the board and IMDb).

there is still a woman with 3 breasts but as she is wearing some kind of bra this was worthless to even have in it (and I am a straight woman, why bother to show 3 tits if no one sees them, lame) you've got two bad-ass female action stars (kate beckinsale and jessica biel), kicking a lot of ass including each others, loved it. But even everyone else's fighting very fast, very damaging, very slick, much better fighting moves than the original (still love it though).

there was a lot more robots and amazing CGI, which they couldn't really do when the original came out really, anyone who watches the original can tell when it looks off. all the bits they changed / added that I thought would make it suck I really loved, I hated what his job was in this one but it came in handy in the end. plus all 3 of the main stars look hot as hell.

for anyone would loves the original, this remake will not disappoint, there are even some bits that show off the original at times like in station/customs scene "2 weeks".

PLEASE IF YOU Haven't ALREADY WATCHED IT, DO SO NOW THIS IS AMAZE BALLS!!!! thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, I only put it on to check quality of it but was so engrossed I had to watch the whole film right there right then, even thought it was 7:30am after having worked the night shift, its that good.

anyone young thats seen and enjoyed or plans to watch please also watch the original as its a great movie too, and we should never forget where it came from. I'm only 27 but I hate when there is a reboot/remake of something I love and someone not much younger than me has no clue of the original film/TV show even existing, sickens me.

Total Brainless

Author: signol-62-515619 from Honolulu, HI
30 August 2012

I don't think the director could have packed anymore running, fighting, and explosions in this remake. It's less relevant what the backdrop of the story is, be it on Mars on Earth, the result is the same - meaningless action and more action for the shake of action.

In the creative field, it's known that if you copy someone's idea, you'd do it better. The movie studio may think we are outdoing the original Total Recall with this rehash combined with borrowed parts from other successful sci-fi flicks -- it's a disappointment, guys. It's a typical case of Hollywood studios with extra cash and technology knowhow without a good story to tell.

Not Really a Remake, and That's Both Good and Bad

Author: RichardSRussell-1 from United States
3 August 2012

Total Recall (1:58, PG-13) — 5 — SF, biggie, remake, OSIT cynics

I'm usually not fond of remakes. The few exceptions are when the original film totally blew a good story possibility, and the story's still worth doing right. That doesn't happen very often. Usually remakes are of successful films that Hollywood thinks can be milked for more money by throwing in contemporary actors and shinier CGI, but without having to employ creativity or brainpower on a new script, and to those my usual reaction is "Why bother? We can always get the original on DVD."

This both is and isn't a concern with the 2012 version of Total Recall. Yes, you do get the fresher faces and shinier CGI to try to extract new bux from a fresh audience. But no, it's not really the same story, and I actually like this STORY better than the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle. For one thing, the science is more credibly late 21st Century, with a transit tube called The Fall running thru the Earth, relying on the cheap "power" of gravitational attraction to zip giant commuter trains between London and Australia (the only 2 places on the planet still functioning well after a global chemical war). This is theoretically possible if the engineering problems of temperature and pressure down deep in the Earth's interior can be solved, but 80-90 years down the road, that's not unreasonable. Some of the other tech — such as the mag-lev cars and hand-implanted phones — is ingenious and credible as well, unlike the train wreck that was Prometheus earlier this year.

And there's the same central theme of a protagonist not being sure who he really is, since his memories are completely untrustworthy. The 1990 movie did a better job of exploring this theme, and Arnold was actually more convincingly human in his bewilderment over what was happening to him than Colin Farrell is here.

The sad thing here is that most of the film's 1:58 running time is devoted to chases, crashes, and gunfights. They are spectacularly well staged, and mucho credit goes to production designer Patrick Tatopoulos for creating a convincing environment. But I was hoping for more intellectual heft, as well as greater credibility for the scenarios that "factory worker" Douglas Quaid has to go thru. Since he starts out in the brain-diddling chair in the Rekall parlor, being assured that his soon-to-be-your-own recollection of being a secret agent will be the best memory he's ever had, his subsequent inhuman physical resiliency and stamina — to say nothing of the unlikelihood of the leader of the free world personally leading a SWAT assault on a terrorist HQ, followed by being the 1st guy off the ship of an invading army — should have made him question "Wait a minute. This HAS to be fake. Nobody can possibly be this good or this lucky." I know that's what I was thinking for at least half the movie. But he never does.

Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Beil are the only other actors with meaty roles, which generally involve running, punching, kicking, shooting, and reckless driving. They sure do look good doing it, tho.

There was potential here, but most of it was thrown away for cheap thrills, and not even R-rated thrills like the earlier one. Too bad.

What a waste of time and money

Author: jllomax2001 from United States
16 August 2012

OK...So went and saw the remake of Total Recall today. With that said if you plan on seeing it and haven't yet...you might want to just keep on scrolling, cuz I WILL BE SPOILING.

OK, so anybody that knows me, will say that i'm pretty easy going and like pretty much everything. In fact, when I say "I like" something, people usually just ignore me, but, when I say "I don't like" something, that usually gets peoples attention.

=====So my opinion on the Total Recall remake==== In my opinion, DO NOT go see this movie. This is based on several reasons: 1.) Mars. The original movie took place mostly on the planet Mars. In the remake,they took the movies Resident Evil 3, the original Judge Dread, a little bit of the first Underworld, and a dash of Total Recall (And what I mean by "dash" is pretty much the names are the same and that's it.). So needless to say...it all took place on Earth.

2.) Mutants. Mutants played a role in the original Total Recall movie. In the remake, no mutants what so ever. The ONLY homage they paid to the mutants, was the 3 breasted hooker. Which in the remake, I guess is just a prostheticly enhanced human

3.) Guado. Yeah, he's not even in this movie. They renamed the leader of the resistance to Matthias.

4.) The remake is pretty much on point (as far as the Quaid character goes) right up until he goes to Recall, then, EVERYTHING is different.

5.) Re-population. OK, so the movie DOESN'T take place on Mars, and there ARE NOT any mutants, and it REALLY has a feel of a bunch of movies that were just smashed up together. The best thing to do would to TRY to make the Earth able to be populated again...at least. But sadly no, instead of the Earth being repopulated, there is an invasion force of computer controlled soldiers controlled by Cohaagan that Quaid is supposed to have the shutdown code for, but turns out it's a ruse.

6.) Aliens. In the original movie there were aliens that built a machine to make the planet Mars able to sustain human life, well, since the movie takes place TOTALLY on Earth, they have been removed from the plot all together as well.

Needless to say, I REALLY disliked this movie. It did little to pay respect to the original movie, the storyline SUCKED, and i had a feeling that the director, producers, and others, wanted the opportunity to make a movie, and label it as a "remake" with the same title and characters but have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN COMMON with the original outside of some little things every now and then and the characters names.

If you want to go see this movie please watch the original before you go see the remake...and you'll understand EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

They lost the plot and characters in the action, sets, gizmo's

Author: Apurv Nagpal from India
3 August 2012

They lost the plot somewhat, actually almost literally, in all the frenetic action sequences, the bullets flying, the fancy gizmos and high speed chase scenes.

In the future, where the world is divided into the rulers (United Federation of Britain) and the oppressed workers (The Colony), an ordinary worker (Colin), who yearns for better, decides to go to Rekall, a place which will guarantee him happy memories via a brain chemical implant. His world changes upside down as he discovers he can be a lethal killing machine, so can his hot wife (Kate) and things are definitely not what they seem to be.

They kept it reasonably tight till the halfway mark but then it just descended into a cacophony of gunfire, explosions and people yelling at each other.

One of the things, though, that intrigue me about futuristic movies is to have a look at the gadgets. They have a knack of becoming real in time to come. The fridge with the digital display, the 'eyeballs' into the room, the mannequins with lights and the phone implant into the palm were all fascinating in the 'I want one of that' kind of way.

The sets were impressive, the actors did what they could but it was all too fast and too furious. Never got a chance to really feel for anyone, for us to really care for the characters or their cause.

There is something timeless and philosophical though, about the basic premise. That of the Rulers vs the Oppressed. Masters vs Slaves. Many books and films have spoken of it and the way the have's of today are constructing walls around themselves, you do wonder sometimes, if the have-not's patience is wearing thin. Just for provoking that thought and our recall of the gentler, more amiable Arnold Schwarznegger version of 1990, this movie can be given some brownie points. More at www.apurvbollywood.blogspot.com

A better than expected remake

Author: abisio from Miami
4 August 2012

The original TOTAL RECALL was directed by the Paul Verhoeven; the genius behind ROBOCOP and STARTSHIP TROOPERS among others masterpieces. The GOVERNATOR played the main character, and baddies where Sharon Stone and Michael Ironside and Ronny Cox. The new version, directed by the mind behind the UNDERWORLD series; Len Wiseman who happens to be Kate Beckinsale husband and starred by Colin Farrell, Kate and Bryan Cranston the baddies (Ironside character was eliminated; probably to give Kate more screen time) and Jessica Biel (in an undeveloped character in both movies). Compare the two versions is tricky. The new one has outstanding special effects and certain things, like the resolution are less disappointing than creating an atmosphere in Mars in just a few seconds; however the humor of the first movie has nowhere to be found in the new version.

Colin is a good replacement for Arnold and Kate is a total bitch so her character is credible. Action and violence are strong so the movie is easy and fun to watch. If you saw the original, there is nothing really new aside from the FX.