IMDb > Total Recall (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 55:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

totally entertaining!

Author: MM SS from United States
11 August 2012

What can i say, i really enjoyed this movie. There are similarities to the original but the new twist was very entertaining. It is definitely a special effects lovers dream come true.

I don't really understand why some people gave this movie a bad review when clearly this is much better than most of the c*ap out there. I presume that most of the haters are either somehow against the movie to begin with or just don't acknowledge a good movie when they see one.

Overall i give it an 8 out of 10 and would recommend this movie to everyone. It was just as entertaining as the original albeit with new theme.

Garbage on film!

Author: J Montrose from United States
4 August 2012

Total Recall - What a waste of money and talent! Unfortunately, none of these 2 aspects are a part of this film.

You have high paid actors, 2 female A listers, a highly gross budget, and a lot of money spent for nothing! I am not sure what the purpose of remaking this film was for. The Swarzenneger original was a clever and entertaining film for it's time. If the original was bad, then I would understand why some studio would have an interest in remaking it. Building the creativity of the story.

However, the original did it's part and for what market or audience it was originally intended for, the original did the trick and this is just a sloppy makeover. A film of this kind has but one purpose - to hopefully, ride the coat-tails of the original (without really adding anything clever) in order to try and build up the bank bucks on another unnecessary sequel. Shame on you!

Horrible - All special effects, poor plot development

Author: gsmith513 from USA
8 August 2012

I don't typically review many movies, but I felt compelled to warn people about this film. My husband, 14 year-old son and I have very different movie preferences but we were all looking forward to seeing this film. None of us liked it. The worst part about it was that there was sooo much going on in virtually every scene that it actually became irritating to watch. Too many special effects can detract from a film and this movie was crammed with so much "action" that it was just complete overkill. Granted, it has been quite a while since I saw the original, but I remember there being at least some amusing parts and I felt some connection to the main character- not so with the re-make. I could also follow the plot and thought it was better developed in the previous version.

Before the halfway-point I found myself checking my watch every 10 minutes or so, and my husband and I both admitted afterwards that we dozed off a couple times (in self-defense I think) - something I NEVER do when I go to a movie theater. This was the closest that I have ever come to walking out midway through a movie. The only reason we stayed until the end was that we invested $25 for the tickets and felt stubbornly compelled to stick it out. I hope that others who decide to see the film have a better experience than I did, but I honestly wouldn't even recommend renting it when it is released to DVD.

Total Waste of My Time

Author: jimc-441-437929 from Houston
5 August 2012

I think the other reviewers here were too kind. The movie is unforgivably terrible. No storyline, no dialogue to speak of other than almost-verbatim regurgitations from the original film, poorly acted, and utterly boring. I couldn't wait for the drawn-out affair to end.

The CGI elevators and car chase scenes were quite fantastic but with no story to back-up such graphics and artificial set, there was little point other than to wonder during the film why all the money went into the visuals and marketing and not into plot development or storyline. If just some budget had gone to the story the film could have been wonderful.

For those who never saw the original, I don't know how you will ever figure out what this movie is trying to say or accomplish other than to take some hard-earned money out of your wallet.

This film in now on my Top Ten Worst Films of All Time list.

Rekall here i come

Author: snowman2k from United Kingdom
29 August 2012

It's truly awful and you will need a trip to Rekall after watching it to wipe this horribly dull film from your mind after you have seen it.

Arnie's version is now a classic this is rubbish and Philip K. Dick will be spinning in his grave.

There were some good moments up until the end of the car chase scene, but after that this is a floater with one stupid, brain-numbing scene after another.

Without putting spoilers in this review lets just say in the future the world is populated by too many stupid people and robot cops that can't shoot to save themselves.

Also no Johnny cabs :(

Brilliant action film with major plot holes

Author: GrimNirTheGreyGod from United Kingdom
17 August 2012

This film is an action fans wet dream. It steams from action scene to action scene with a small pause for dialogue and plot. There's many will say this is a bad thing but not me. I hate long drawn out rhetoric in an action film. So if you like action in your action films you will love this.

If your looking for an up dated version of Arnie's Total Recall then you will be disappointed, but then what would be the point of seeing the exact same film again just with new characters? It needed to pay homage, but also be a little bit unique and new. This managers that with ease.

There's no Mars in this one. Its set in a future where much of the world is uninhabitable and there's really just the United Kingdom and Australia (The colony's) left. Travel between the two just takes 17 minutes by falling through a hole that travels through the centre of the earth. Which features as a major plot point.

The acting's OK by Farrell and Beil and they both give a good strong action performance, however the true star is Kate Beckinsale's role as his fake wife then ardent nemesis. Kate show's she's best in the full on action roles and is totally believable as a hard as nails kick ass ruthless pursuer. She's absolutely brilliant in every scene she's in. From the ambiguous but memorable line "I give good wife", to her die hard relentless attempts to kill Farrell she is definitely the true star of this movie. I definitely want to see her in more action movies.

From the point of keeping you thrilled, this film scores 10 out of ten, from an acting view point I give Beckinsale 10/10 and the others 8/10. The CGI is definitely 10/10 even if the first scenes are so very reminiscent of blade runner. The action, stunts and fight scenes are well above a 10/10 rating. In short this would be a perfect film if not for some silly plot holes.

Now here's where the plot gets a bit silly. Douglas Quaid (Colin Farrell) lives in the UK travels by "the fall" to work in the colonies, where he's building synthetic soldiers that will be transported back to the UK to eventually use to invade the colonies, via the fall. There are terrorists who feel the fall generates second class citizens but no explanation why. UK owns the colonies, who are trying for independence, but are still owned by the UK, so why does the UK need to invade it? Quaid as Hauser has supposedly seen a kill code for the synthetic soldiers, if so why when he was first turned didn't he give it too the resistance. In this version he wasn't a pretend double agent he genuinely changed sides so why didn't he give it then? And as everyone seems to have recall technology why can only the leader of the resistance Matthias (Bill Nighy) get at it? Why endanger him? If anything Matthais roles seems to have been forced into the script from the original, but doesn't actually fit in this versions plot or premise. The the final annoying glaringly obvious plot hole. When the UK invades the colonies they load all their troops into the fall device and fall through the earth. The colonies know the invasion is coming through the fall we see news casts and alerts to the citizens warning them of the imminent invasion. So if they know its coming via the fall why not simply drop a bomb down the hole? Instantly kill the complete army and even block the only means of invasion ensuring their safety? Its so obvious its ridiculous.

Its this plot failure that makes me mark the overall film down to just 7/10. But if you don't care about that and just want an all action fun movie then this is definitely a must see film.

Terrible

Author: dg135 from Canada
8 August 2012

The story: the government of Britain is going to wage war and wreak havoc on one of its colonies until the heroic American saves the day! Seriously, it's that stupid.

The fact that this terrible movie shares the same name as the mysterious and intriguing Schwarzenegger/Stone film of 1990 is an absolute insult. There is no suspense, mystery, or intrigue in this version of Total Recall. Both the central character and certainly the audience pretty well know the real situation from the beginning. So, rather than sharing in the doubts of the central character who, in the 1990 original, isn't sure what is real and what isn't, we instead simply get formulaic action mixed with a bit of romance. So, don't forget your barf bag if you dare see this abysmal stink-bomb. This movie is an insult to everyone's intelligence.

Nothing new in this high-octane sci-fi flick, but Beckinsale rocks

Author: Jeff Lee
2 August 2012

I HAD high hopes for this flick as I really enjoyed the 1990 original on DVD. You can read my review of the original flick, which I had written last month.

Where did it all go wrong? Quaid (Farrell, whom I last saw in a sex tape) just runs and runs and surmounts every obstacle thrown in his way.

However, the action is nothing new and viewers would have seen all the running, explosions, bullets ricocheting and close-combat fights in other flicks.

The flick does pause for a brief moment to ruminate on Quaid's desire to find out about his past, while the rebel leader tells him that the heart wants to live in the present. What new age mumbo jumbo is this?

Another problem with the flick is the casting of Farrell. In the original, Arnie looked really confused by what was happening around him and viewers would have empathized with his predicament.

Farrell, on the other hand, just seems to be going through the motion.

The movie's atmosphere is also nothing new. The teeming crowds amid the rain come from 'Blade Runner' and 'Fifth Element'. The car-chase scene comes from 'Minority Report' and 'Fifth Element'.

The idea about robot cops getting ready for an invasion comes from 'I, Robot', and the look of the robots also comes this flick.

The one good thing about this flick is Kate Beckinsale, the director's wife, who plays Quaid's wife. She's not one person viewers will want to mess with in a dark alley. She exudes arrogance and strength, and a certain amount of sexiness and sultriness.

Is EXACTLY what its mean to be - a THRILL RIDE

Author: Daniel Cumba from United States
10 August 2012

Before seeing this movie, I read many reviews. Many of them were giving this film a poor rating, stating that it doesn't come close to the original, stating that it doesn't have this or that, etc. I decided to ignore the reviews and form my own opinion of the movie - which is what you should do as well...

First of all, in my opinion, this movie is not a remake - it seems more like a Reboot. Same concept, some of the same characters, story line has changed. Once you can accept this movie as a standalone and not compare it to the original - I believe you will be very pleased.

Special effects are wonderful, Story was fast paced and exciting, actors are some of the best in the industry, and to me - it was a Thrill Ride from beginning to end.

The only reason I give it an 8 instead of 10 is because I wish the movie had been just a little longer for character development and so that the movie didn't feel so rushed. Aside from that, I thought it was a great movie!

Watch it and form your own opinion!

Terribly Boring

Author: (Scorpionhl) from United States
4 August 2012

Comparing this film to the original Total Recall would be like saying the phantom menace was the best star wars movie ever. This film simply bored me to tears, and I like action movies. Even removing the back history of the original, I can't believe they let this one reach the theaters with its thin plot line and unoriginal action sequences.

First off, the idea in this film is not to present you with any kind of real story line (at least nothing original), or provide any semblance of a movie experience. It's just 120 minutes of Colin running away from the bad guys with no break for a plot. Plot holes, while numerous, were filled in with other plot holes and a good story was filled in with iRobot meets Blade Runner graphics.

Now, sometimes a bad movie can at least save its face with some 'appeal' with its stars, but they couldn't even give us that from Kate or Jessica. If you want me to pay for a 120 minute chase scene, next time tell us up front and don't hide behind a legendary name.

Page 2 of 55:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]