IMDb > The Other Guys (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Other Guys

The Other Guys More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 32: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

so stupid, it's funny

Author: Ezekiel from Northern California
24 July 2016

Trying to make a film that's action, drama, and comedy (all in one) is tricky, and "The Other Guys" can't avoid the difficulty. The parts that tried to be funny seemed flat, the parts that tried to be dramatic were tedious and many of the action scenes seemed intentionally overdone, to the point of being corny. The places where this film scored were the stupid parts, many of which were SO stupid they were hilarious.

Dwayne Johnson and Samuel Jackson were excellent; Michael Keaton is solid, as usual, and I think my hardest laughs were at scenes with Eva Mendez, especially the ones featuring her character's mother.

Judged against those sorts of all-in-one movies, I'd probably give this a 7 out of 10; judged against all kinds of movies, though, it's probably worth only about a 3 or a 4. In fairness, that could just be because in the last few days I watched Red and Red 2 for the first time, both of which did better at pulling off the action/drama/comedy trifecta, in my opinion.

Good premise, but loses some of its potential

Author: Jesper Tved Korsgaard
26 May 2016

"The Other Guys" is a comedy, crime action movie, which follows the two cop buddies Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg who try to make a name for themselves in the NYPD. The story itself is not what makes this movie fun to watch, but instead to see the chemistry that goes on between Ferrell and Wahlberg. Their characters, who minds are complete opposite of each other works great for some good laughs throughout the movie. I love that the movie is set in a police environment, and that we get to see the odd police partnership play out between these two main characters. The flaw I have for this movie is the opportunities the movie misses to make it even funnier. The jokes in the movie mostly consist of what looks like improvised talk, and it's hard to find some real jokes in the movie without witnessing Wahlberg yelling all the time and Ferrell's mumbling. I feel the script could have been much better, but that isn't to say that the movie isn't funny at all, because it certainly has some scenes that will make you laugh. The crime- solving story isn't really that exiting to watch, which makes you more focused on how well Will and Wahlberg can deliver a funny performance. In the end, the movie has its funny moments but overall it could have been better.

A Great Combination of Silliness and Intelligence, from the Team to the Plot…

Author: ElMaruecan82 from France
24 March 2016

Since the buddy cop movie is a subgenre which, among many requirements, is not supposed to take itself seriously and offer a fair share of crazy action sequences, a spoof doesn't sound like the most original premise. How can you possibly make fun of something fun in the first place?

Yet "The Other Guys" works, much to my surprise. While I was expecting a Laurel-and-Hardy-like pairing, you know with the straight man and the lovable buffoon, I was pleasantly surprised by the portrayals of the two cops, and the way their personality completed each other. Mark Wahlberg is Terry, a nervous trigger-happy cop whose career was compromised by the accidental shooting of baseball star Derek Jeter (looking like a suspicious guy with the bat under the shadow), and Will Ferrell is Allen, a passive and sweet office-bound accountant, who doesn't want to get in trouble. These guys form such a perfect pair of losers and loners they're inevitably labeled as the other guys.

Now, who's the other's guys' "other guys", so to speak? Well, they make their entrance in one of the most over-the-top and brilliantly unbelievable chase scenes in recent history. It's noisy, nonsensical, each stunt asking more suspension of disbelief than a "Matrix" movie (actually, law of gravity is as disregarded as the penal law), and it features two bankable and believable legitimate movie tough guys through Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. They're the princes of the city, it's like Shaft and McClane under steroids with Starsky and Hutch's street smarts and brotherly love. What a loss when they met with the maker! But what an extraordinarily laugh-out-loud moment! I wish I didn't spoil anything but wasn't it obvious that they would have to leave room to the losers?

And there's something so appealing in these guys, starting with their high self-esteem, they know they're only victim of unfortunate circumstances. Terry is actually a good cop and Allen displays a nice amount of wit and verbal come-backs, he also has an irresistible charm with hot women, which wouldn't make sense in a real world, but how about macho Terry who knows about music, dance and modern Art just because he wanted to make fun of some 'gay kid' of the neighborhood? In its own wicked way, the film manages to provide three-dimensional characters, that actually make us care for them. There's something so touching and vulnerable when Terry cries about being a "peacock who dreams of flying" and Allen's retelling of his past provides an interesting twist on his character.

"The Other Guys" have the characters, and the set-up ending with the previous cops' demise makes us expect a quality comedy movie. I think the good vibrations between Adam McKay and Will Ferrell not only worked, but Mark Wahlberg fits perfectly in this team as he never mocks his own character and plays him with the same respect and seriousness than his usual tough and no-nonsense characters. Ferrell is also remarkable as a guy whose comedic appeal doesn't rely on goofy attitudes or brash reactions, and when it happens a few times, the context makes it totally acceptable. Ferrell shows again his capability to play restrained and intelligent characters as he did in "Stranger Than Fiction" so the performance isn't much a revelation. Actually, the real revelation is in the story.

Indeed "The Other Guys" has higher ambitions than the film it actually plays on, it doesn't just try to mock the usual cop archetypes, with the car chases, explosions, Mexican stand-offs, and evil masterminds, it actually has a statement to say about the way the economy works, and how liberal inequality is maintained by corrupt businessmen. A lot has been said about the film's ending credits, and without revealing everything, I must say it kind of killed all the fun, and made me realize that we were ruled by bad guys, basically. With all the Ponzi schemes (think of Madoff) the golden parachutes, and the wages difference between workers and CEO, you just applaud the guts of "The Other Guys" to tackle another kind of villain, than usual terrorists, kidnappers or serial killers.

Still, for all the seriousness of the ending credits, McKay never tackles the story in a straight-forwardly serious way, you just have hints of what would become his Oscar-winning screenplay "The Big Short". The core of the movie still relies on the partnership between Allen and Terry, which creates some great interactions, involving metaphorical references (the Tuna vs. Lion speech is a quotable delight), an obligatory bad cop/good cop interrogation and many cute and sweet moments. They never express their mutual fondness but you can tell from their exchange that they respect and like each other, which is good, given the way they're belittled by their colleagues, except for their patient and magnanimous chief Captain Gene, played by Michael Keaton. And to complete the gallery, Eva Mendes is the too-sexy-to-be-true loving housewife and Steve Coogan as the corrupt businessman is a nice completion to the trio, during the third act.

"The Other Guys" varies from buddy-comedy to social commentary but the ensemble feels solid and well-structured, so that there's no moment whatsoever when we feel lost or that the story is going nowhere. Not all the gags are hilarious, but Adam McKay knows how to put his laugh-out-loud moments in the right places, and the performances of the two actors honor the plot. It's just a pity the film didn't get the success it deserves, but that's the risk with playing with archetypes that are already funny in the first place. I say a pity because this is a duo I would have loved to see again… Such well-written and acted and directed characters as Terry and Allen deserved a sequel.

In fact, even Jackson and Johnson's characters deserved a prequel.

About what you expected

Author: jb_campo from United States
12 March 2016

I wanted to laugh, so I tried the Other Guys. It's a typical Will Ferrel-type comedy. Two cops who are desk jockeys get thrust into a real case that puts them out on the street in a real case.

Mark Wahlberg is OK as the partner, playing the straight man. Ferrell is a dork, married to a beautiful Eva Mendes who is a doctor. And all the beautiful women keep hitting on Ferrell. A typical ploy in these movies, reversing what you'd expect.

Stupid story, lot of physical humor. If you like Ferrell, you will like this. Wahlberg is OK. The Rock and Samuel L Jackson also play some funny roles for a bit. But overall, you get what pretty much what you expect in this b-grade type comedy.

The Other Guys - nothing great, but I have seen worse. Enjoy.

A funny cop movie.

Author: ofpsmith from United States
30 January 2016

The comedy in The Other Guys, comes from the relationship between partners, Detective Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) and Detective Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg), two desk cops that idolize NYPD heroes Christopher Danson (Dwayne Johnson) and PK Highsmith (Samuel L Jackson). The only problem is that Terry can't stand Allen and his insistence to do menial work. However they learn to get along in order to investigate wealthy businessman David Ershon (Steve Coogan). The movie is a scenario with a bunch of jokes, like a lot of great comedies. Ferrell and Wahlberg are great together, and a lot of the comedy is derived from them. Eventually Ershon gets a lot of laughs when Allen and Terry kidnap him. The bottom line is the movie is really funny. I highly recommend, The Other Guys.

It just tries too hard

Author: srdjan_veljkovic
28 January 2016

What can one say about a movie whose best parts are the 2008 bailout comic during the credits and the joke told post-credits?

It's obviously a big-budget movie. If you like those in themselves just because they are not bad, you'll probably like this one too.

But, disregarding that, it just tries too hard to be funny. Sometimes it succeeds, but, most often, it doesn't. Though most of the attempts are somewhat interesting, they just don't work. Like Will Ferrell being a babe-magnet without even trying - well, actually actively trying to be babe anti-magnet with his wife, Eva Mendes. The Brooke Shields gag to that effect is interesting, but not very funny.

The main problems seems to be that pretty much none of the characters are likable. The police captain, Michael Keaton is the only one that's somewhat likable (well, of course, Eva Mendes is likable, but she has very little screen time). Characters don't have to be smart or nice to be likable, but they still need to express something that one can like.

It's not bad, but, not good either.

Great, and surprisingly so

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
28 December 2015

Great, and surprisingly so. I wasn't expecting much from this - thought it would be the sort of low-brow stuff Will Ferrell usually does, but this works perfectly. Screamingly funny.

Story is so-so, but that was always going to be merely a platform for the witty, often tongue-in-cheek, dialogue and Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg's comedic abilities.

Strangely, Ferrell plays the straight role to Wahlberg's over-the- top intense performance, and it works. Wahlberg is insanely funny and steals the show.

Great performances from a star-studded supporting cast: Steve Coogan (especially), Michael Keaton, Eva Mendes, Ray Stevenson, Dwayne Johnson, Samuel L Jackson, Anne Heche, Damon Wayans Jr, Rob Riggle, plus some interesting cameos from Derek Jeter and Brooke Shields as themselves.

Funniest Movie of All-Time

Author: prestontaulbee
26 December 2015

This is one of two 10 star reviews I've ever given. The other being "The Dark Knight." This movie had me cracking up from start to finish, with the most over-the-top humorous dialogue between Will Ferrel and Mark Wahlberg. TO THIS DAY (December 26, 2015), I quote the movie whenever it seems fit. I even downloaded an app that gives me a quote from the movie every morning after I wake up as there's no better time to start my day than with a laugh from this movie. "I have a job here, and I have a job at Bed Bath and Beyond... That's so I can put my kid through college at NYU so he can explore his bisexuality, and become a DJ"

Great comedy.

Author: jessyro112233 from United States
28 October 2015

The Other Guys is personally one my favorite and funniest movies ever! This movie did a really great job with everything. Mark and Will we're the perfect actors for their roles. In my opinion there was nothing bad about this movie. Just one thing, I don't understand why the two detectives decided to jump down from that building saying "aim for the bushes". That part of the movie had me confused. Other than that, the movie was excellent. The plot can get confusing but if you've watched it a million times like I have then you'd get it like nothing. My favorite scene was when Allen and Terry were arguing about the food chain. That scene was really funny to me.

Funny, but mostly inconsistent

Author: Gustavo Schroeder A
9 September 2015

To be completely honest I absolutely love about the first 15 to 20 minutes of The Other Guys. It sets the bar pretty high for a movie that unfortunately can't really keep up with those standards.

Every scene Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L. Jackson are in are absolutely hilarious. The problem is there aren't many scenes in which they are in. Ferrell and Wahlberg do a great job with the script they are given and I just have to say this movie did make me laugh out loud in quite a few scenes. But the laughs aren't consistent and I thought most of the humor was pretty low brow, the kind of things that may look great on paper, but when executed may not work as well as expected.

The parts of the movie that I liked I really liked and I didn't really dislike the other parts of the movie, I just thought they were OK. The good parts of it are actually pretty quotable, so I have to say I enjoyed the Other Guys even though it is an inconsistent movie that could have been funnier.