IMDb > The Other Guys (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Other Guys

The Other Guys More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Has some funny moments but begins to be repetitive.

Author: davidfurlotte from Canada
30 April 2011

I just finished watching this movie and although I laughed pretty hard at the first 30 minutes of it, I found myself wanting there to be something new because it seemed like it kept rehashing a lot of the punchlines that already were delivered.

I discussed it after with a friend of mine and we decided that the writer(s) for this particular movie must be bi-polar because the actors portrayed textbook bi-polar characteristics. (Being soft and gentle and relaxed and as if a switch was flipped, angry, loud and obnoxious to the extreme.) Oh, and little hint, no matter how loud you get or how foolish the subject, yelling is never funny.

I understand the whole replace the really two good, crazy cops that were funny because they have acted in police dramas with two cops that should NEVER be given a badge, but you didn't have to kill them off, you could have just had them badly injured somehow and capable of cutting back to them in the hospital for when you needed some more over the top lines to be delivered. (Just a thought.) BUT, with all that being said, it is a movie that provides a few laughs and is entertaining, I wouldn't give it any Oscars but you shouldn't feel ripped off if you rent it or buy it.

Just plain bad!

Author: LydiaBianca from United Kingdom
28 April 2011

'The Other Guys' started with promise! Samuel.L.Jackson stole the show and his police partnership with Dwayne Johnson was brilliantly entertaining!

After about 15 minutes..this film became nothing more than dirt dry humour, cheap jokes and painfully bad acting! This film seems so low budget...but I just read that it had $100,000,000 and I really wonder where all the money went..because I'm sure it didn't go on the film! The actors gave a half hearted performance and it was so boringly irritating to watch, because of the lack of fun and originality that Will Ferrel as well as the other names usually provide.

'The Other guys', seemed more like a bunch of misfits, who never amount to much, instead of a thrilling comedy. There was no bond or chemistry between the main characters, and I was left waiting for something great to happen or develop...but this film just didn't deliver. There were so many different locations and every scene seemed like it seemed so random and so much could've been deleted.

I wouldn't recommend this film..just plain bad.

The Other Guys (2010)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
26 December 2011

I don't know if I can say enough good things about this film. It was exactly what I expected and much more. It hit the comedy nail on the head repeatedly, from witty oneliners, extended quotable dialogue, over the top slapstick, and some quirky character humor. Johnson and Jackson are two hotshot action hero cops that cause more damage than the crooks they apprehend. But this film isn't about them. It's about desk-cops Wahlberg and Ferrell. These two make a surprising comic duo. Wahlberg is the angry/disgraced cop looking to get back in the field, and Ferrell is more of a number cruncher. After investigating a scaffolding violation, they are dragged into an action scenario. The film kept me in stitches by variating on its humor throughout. There are a number of memorable scenes from the whisper fight to the accidental bribes. It knows when to finish a joke and most impressive of all, Ferrell moves away from the lovable idiot character. He sometimes misjudges a situation, but his character's competence is refreshing. Wahlberg is a perfect comedy performer. Best of all, we get to see Keaton back in a fairly large, comedic role. Well cast, well played, and I have a feeling it will have a high rewatchability factor.

A solid comedy in the main but I found some of the absurd and silly dialogue to be very funny

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
5 April 2011

If movies have taught us anything it is that the best cops are those that take the risks, do the outrageous and shoot their way through any problem while also coming up with a wise-crack kiss-off line. These guys are the heroes in the action movie cliché, along with the grizzled but tired boss, the paper-pushers and, of course, the other guys who make up the squad room. When misfortune meets one pair of tough cops, one such "other guy" sees the chance to step up into this role. He is Hoitz (trapped in a desk job due to shooting baseball player Derek Jeter and costing his team the title) and his partner is a dull accountant type who weirdly has amazing luck with women. Hoitz is disappointed that their first big case is over expired scaffolding permits, but it is not long before they discover more to the case.

I heard so-so things about this film so I decided to give it a miss in the cinema, plus although I like Ferrell, he isn't the most consistent with his films and this looked like it won't be that good. In reality though it was actually pretty funny and it just seemed to hit my sense of humour right when I watched it. It is ridiculous stuff though and a lot of the dialogue and banter is absurd but to me this is part of the charm of it. One could argue that it doesn't really work as it was intended because, as a spoof of action movie excess from the point of view of "the other guys" it doesn't really work and isn't clever enough; sure it can laugh at the Hollywood excess at the start, but it isn't that smart beyond that point. Likewise one could also point to the final thirty or so minutes where the action aspect does rather take over and the comedy takes a backseat; or even one could question why the end credits decide that the film should suddenly become some sort of documentary against corruption in the financial sector - something it didn't do up till that point, despite being set in this world to a point. All of these would be true because the film is not a brilliant one and these flaws and weaknesses are all reasons why.

The thing is though that when the film revels in the silly comedy dialogue it is really good fun. The writers have a good ear for it and the cast deliver them well; it isn't clever but it seems full of surprising and engaging nonsense dialogue that did make me laugh. The nonsense relationship between the lead two, the nonsense college background of Gamble, the nonsense conversations between the characters, the nonsense events that happen to the red Prius, I found them all really funny and it was always a shame when plot had to come and do some things to move the film along.

Ferrell and Walhberg work really well together and the film seems to be aware of this because it does give them plenty of time together (perhaps contributing to the film running a tad longer than it should). They both have great comic delivery here - in particular deadpanning some great dialogues sequences and making them funnier through their delivery. Coogan is pretty good in a supporting role while Keaton, Mendes and others all let themselves be used as jokes and also deliver the comic material well.

It isn't a great film by any means but it had a great sense of absurdity and nonsense to it that I really enjoyed a lot. The plot I can take or leave and the decision at the last minute to make it try and have substance just doesn't work but otherwise it is very funny and the central relationship and banter would be one I'd be happy to see again.

what is the point of this movie?

Author: david E from United States Minor Outlying Islands
27 November 2010

I have to start by clarifying what is the intention of a comedy movie. The main trait must be to make people laugh. The rest might be a refreshing break for all day to day things that happen in the world.

This failed comedy begins rashly with two good action-comedian actors: the rock Johnson and Samuel L Jackson. They both carried the first minutes of the flick straight, which makes people think that the movie is going to be good. But it's only a placebo that unveils itself once the "The other guys" are introduced.

I'm not saying that Ferrel is not a good comedian. He is (although not great). But he's got the bad taste to select awful roles recently. As for Wahlberg, he is totally unfit in the role of a comedian. So, it's not necessary to say that he was miscast.

Thus, people should blame the producers and writers for this mess since there is not point in this attempted comedy. So, the only thing that I can infer is that this movie is meant to get money from naive people's pockets.

One of the worst movies ever!

Author: AmadeusPower from Switzerland
16 April 2011

I cannot believe they spent money on making this movie!

OK, there were maybe 2 funny scenes that actually made me laugh - but mostly because they were too damn stupid, not really funny.

A sample:

2 cops in a school class: "Statistically speaking, next year, 30 of you won't be alive anymore. If you want to live, try your hardest not to be black or Hispanic". -------------- The all-time worst scene in a movie: Eva Mendes announces to her husband: "I'm pregnant, my love" - "What? Whose baby is this?" --------------

And the real horror is: once you watched it, you cannot unwatch it!

If this movie gets any kind of price, it's only a demonstration of the incredible political bias in Hollywood.

Lame, lame, lame

Author: Shawn from Australia
28 August 2010

This is another movie that panders to the IQ of the lowest common denominator. The humor is ridiculously dumb and it worries me that if the majority of people find this funny and enjoyable, then where is the human species heading?

The movie industry has really let down humanity as of late, and this is yet more garbage to add to the pile. Why on earth is this rated currently 7.1 with over 6,000 votes? It seems as though the majority of people voting on this have very low standards.

I was actually looking forward to a laugh with this movie, and sure there were the odd one or two lines that were funny, but ultimately I was bitterly disappointed.

If you are an intelligent person, my bet is you will not like this movie either.

Peace.

so stupid, it's funny

Author: Ezekiel from Northern California
24 July 2016

Trying to make a film that's action, drama, and comedy (all in one) is tricky, and "The Other Guys" can't avoid the difficulty. The parts that tried to be funny seemed flat, the parts that tried to be dramatic were tedious and many of the action scenes seemed intentionally overdone, to the point of being corny. The places where this film scored were the stupid parts, many of which were SO stupid they were hilarious.

Dwayne Johnson and Samuel Jackson were excellent; Michael Keaton is solid, as usual, and I think my hardest laughs were at scenes with Eva Mendez, especially the ones featuring her character's mother.

Judged against those sorts of all-in-one movies, I'd probably give this a 7 out of 10; judged against all kinds of movies, though, it's probably worth only about a 3 or a 4. In fairness, that could just be because in the last few days I watched Red and Red 2 for the first time, both of which did better at pulling off the action/drama/comedy trifecta, in my opinion.

A funny film about a couple of far from high-flying cops

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
16 June 2016

As this police comedy opens we see a pair of super-cops involved in a spectacular, and destructive, car chase to take down some criminals. When the chase is over they are fêted like rock stars… these men don't do paperwork; that is left to the likes of Detectives Allen Gamble and Terry Hoitz… the other guys. These two seldom leave the office as Gamble is a risk averse forensic accountant and Hoitz is less than popular following an incident where he shot a star basketball player. After the two star cops die the rest of the squad are keen to take on their mantle and Hoitz insists that they go out for once. While out Mantle arrests businessman Sir David Ershon… for breaking scaffolding regulations! They don't realise that he is involved with some shady characters who kidnap him on the way to the police station. It soon becomes apparent that Ershon has powerful friends and dangerous enemies; Mantle and Hoitz will have to up their game if they are to solve the case.

When I sat down to watch this I hoped it might be mildly amusing but soon found it much better than that as laugh out loud moments came thick and fast. I like how the film introduced us to the two super-cops, played by Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson, before the actual stars of the film. The way these two operated then died was delightfully over the top. Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg are impressive in these lead roles; their characters are funny as is their constant bickering. Steve Coogan provides more laughs as Ershon and Ray Stevenson is suitably threatening as bad guy Roger Wesley; a role he plays straight rather than for laughs. The story isn't particularly strong but that doesn't matter as it serves to put the characters in various situations that provide the laughs. There are plenty of funny moments as well as some running gags. The best of these running gags was Hoitz's constant bafflement that Gamble keeps attracting beautiful women, including his 'plain' wife. The action is over the top in a way that suits the film. Overall I'd certainly recommend this to anybody wanting a good laugh and enjoys cop films.

I couldn't stop laughing

Author: Clarets2016
5 June 2016

I don't normally write reviews but after reading some of the awful reviews some people wrote about this film I had to come to its defence.

This film had me laughing from start to finish. If you like the silliness of Will Ferrell films or the humour in Ted then you will love this film. The comedy can be played very deadpan despite the surrealness (is that a word) of the situation. The comic timing is great and the chemistry between all the main characters is excellent. When I saw this film only had a 6.7 IMDb rating I was a little reluctant to watch it but I saw the trailer and that drew me in. I didn't regret it.

If you want some great laughs, watch this film.