IMDb > The Other Guys (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Other Guys

The Other Guys More at IMDbPro »

Page 20 of 32: [Prev][15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [Next]

Awkward, weird, hilarious comedy to make you cringe!

Author: Y R from United Kingdom
17 February 2012

This movie is worth watching for its unconventional, weird, almost new kind of comedy that can sometimes leave you confused, or cringing, but also laughing at the audacious impossibility of what you're watching. This is hardly realistic, generously exaggerated, and certainly not for everyone to be able to laugh at. But if my descriptions are making sense to you on an emotional or gut-feeling level, if you feel how a movie like that would be like, and you think you can laugh at it, then definitely watch it.

A niche kind of comedy that should make the compatible audience laugh with abandon, and probably keep remembering certain lines and scenes for a long time to come.

Hilarious buddy cop movie

Author: Maniac-9 from St. Louis, MO
10 February 2012

Kevin Smith should take notes here this is how a good buddy cop comedy movie should go, not his terrible Cop Out which lets be honest sucked.

Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell play off of each other so well and Eva Mendes did a great job as Ferrell's wife. The punchlines are delivered perfectly and if you don't laugh out loud then I seriously don't think you'll laugh at anything. A lot of times every good funny line they have is stuffed into the commercial, in this movie that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Also Michael Keaton is hilarious as their captain.

Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson play the roles of the two bad ass cops that everyone looks up to, but due to unforeseen actions they bite the bullet. So Wahlberg and Ferrell's cop characters who aren't as well received decide to pick up the slack.

Meh...same ol' Ferrell and Wahlberg routines

Author: nathanschubach from Northwest Ohio
26 January 2012

I rented this and lost all interest halfway through. Will Ferrell is sticking to his typical "serious screaming of absurd ideas" brand of comedy, which holds hands with his idea of "play old memorable tunes out of typical-movie context" to produce humor. Mark Wahlberg is such a great actor that I've seen this character in every one of his movies, except this one is slightly looser than the others. There's also a number of other actors you've seen before and explosions and TLC references that are slightly humorous still today.

Call me jaded, but this was an excuse to get Will Ferrell in a somewhat-action oriented movie. I did like the over-the-top beginning and the overall teamup of Samuel L. Jackson and The Rock, but that was short-lived. And Steve Coogan annoys me, ever since seeing 24 Hour Party People. Maybe the movie just wasn't for me, but it was definitely better than Bewitched. D-

Watch it if your into comedies

Author: tuomomat from Finland
10 December 2011

Great movie, forget all the people giving 1-3 for this. The plot is such, that stiff serious people will not like this movie and give it a bad review.

But if you have a funny bone and your into good comedies and your not serious, then watch this movie.

The acting was as good as it gets, what more could a guy ask for. This film is definitely underrated.

Sit back and enjoy a nice easy film with many great jokes that had me and my wife laughing.

Would I pay the cinema price? Definitely.

This peacock sure can fly.

Author: kevinxirau from United States
1 December 2011

Wow, this was unexpected. Compared to most cop films, this is a fresh, hilarious, and highly original movie. It took what was essentially an ordinary-guy-rising-up story and brought it to a whole new level. There are heroes and then there are the Other Guys.

When the city is in need of protection, somebody has to step in as it's next generation of heroes. However, those heroes are a rather odd and mismatched duo: the docile and nerdy Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) and the tough and aggressive Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg). If they can get their act together, try to get over their opposing personalities, and understand what it means to be a cop, then these two detectives can solve a bewildering case surrounding a billionaire in distress (Steve Coogan).

What a great flick. With excellent comedy, cool action, and an all-star cast, this movie will bring joy and laughs to you from beginning to end. Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg are tremendously funny, constantly arguing and throwing insults at each other as well as others around them while people are dying and things are blowing up everywhere. All the jokes are truly original and everyone, such as Michael Keaton and Eva Mendes, does a good job.

I didn't expect much from this movie but now that I've seen it, it exceeded my expectations. Go see this awesome detective comedy and enjoy.

The Good, the Bad and the Cocky :-)

Author: manjodude
27 September 2011

Atlast! One movie of Will Ferrell's that I finally enjoyed. Although he is a very humorous guy, some of his earlier movies like Old School or Land of the Lost were so silly & disappointing to me. But here, in The Other Guys, he gets a good platform(story, action, cool star cast) to be funny again(as a stupid yet nice cop Allen) with an aggressive, action partner to boot, Mark Wahlberg(as Terry).

The comedy is too good, mostly due to Will Ferrell. And Mark Wahlberg provides a hilarious support.

And what casting! We also have Michael Keaton(as their captain Gene), Anna Heche(as CEO Pamela), Samuel Jackson & Dwayne Johnson in short appearances(as cocky detectives), Eva Mendes(as Will's wife) and another funny guy Steeve Coogan(as billionaire David). All of them do a cool job.

Except for some unconvincing action sequences(including Mark coming out unscathed from a hail of bullets on every side), this is a thumbs up laugh riot.

Verdict: Thank goodness, it was not just about Will Ferrell and his jokes. The Other Guys is a solid package in all aspects. Enjoy.

Better than the average Hollywood comedy

Author: JoeytheBrit from www.2020-movie-reviews.com
18 September 2011

Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg are 'the other guys,' the faceless nobodies toiling behind the scenes while their more outgoing colleagues grab all the glory. When the city's star cops, deceived by their apparent invincibility, dive to their deaths from a 20 storey building, Wahlberg sees their demise as an opportunity for himself and his mismatched partner to grab the glory for themselves.

Mismatched buddies are a staple of the comedy genre, almost as old as cinema itself, so it's a small miracle that anything fresh is ever mined after more than a century. While The Other Guys dutifully follows the Mismatched Buddies Comedy Template with a stolid lack of imagination, it does at least manage to wring a decent number of laughs – while leaving you hoping that they don't make a sequel because its success just seems to be a sort of happy coincidence.

I'm not a fan of Will Ferrell – I've seen him in too many unfunny comedies. In fact, given that he has topped the league of least bankable movie stars (i.e. his films provide the studios with the lowest box office return for every dollar he earns) it's something of another small miracle that he's still managing to win leading roles at all. Having said that, he's pretty good in this; it would have been easy to have turned his character into a familiar buttoned down nerd, but Ferrell at least has the sense to realise that he has to let his character's true colour peek out from his dull veneer throughout the film (and not just when the script calls for him to do so). There's a reason Mark Wahlberg isn't particularly noted for his comic talents and that's because he doesn't really have any. He's not a disaster here by any means – and at times he's pretty good – but I was always conscious of the fact that I was watching a predominantly straight actor in a comic role. Fortunately, Michael Keaton (who, as well as acting funny, is now starting to look funny as well) is on hand to lift things when the pace starts to flag.

The Other Guys probably isn't going to top anyone's favourite comedy list, but it's a solid enough comedy which arguably delivers more laughs than the average Hollywood comedy these days. It also manages to sustain a couple of running jokes that remain consistently amusing from start to finish – no mean feat for any funny movie these days.

As lame as my mother

Author: (nik-kosy) from United Kingdom
13 September 2011

This film is crap. How anyone can laugh at this film's 'comedy' is a retard. I shall be having nightmares about the boringness of this film for many years to come. My brain is now scarred with the retardedness of the actors who obviously didn't read the lameness of the retarded script. I would rather watch Harry Potter than this film again. If there was ever an award for the lamest film ever, this film would come up trumps. The money spent making this atrocity would have been better welcomed to a charity. Seriously, Barney the Dinosaur was a much better film than the hell that I just watched. Even my cat ran at the mere thought of watching the film ... its true!!! Maybe the fact that this film is American explains it all :p The best thing about this film was the trailers. To anyone who actually wrote a good review about this film; a) needs to get a life. b) needs to go to specsavers. c) needs to be shot. I definitely wont be recommending this film to anyone else, as you probably would've guessed by this review. Anyone who didn't, should re-read point b. Long live Ali G and Captain Jack Sparrow!!!!!!!

I'm like a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
27 August 2011

"The Other Guys" is part of a recent wave of big-studio comedies which revolve around neutered white/blue collar heroes, evil bosses, greedy bankers, recession woes, and directly reference the late 2000s global financial crisis.

Directed by Adam McKay ("Anchorman", "Talladega Nights"), the film stars Will Ferrell and Mark Whalberg as a pair of police detectives. Desk-bound, buried in paper work and given wooden guns, they begin the film castrated and impotent (Whalberg is ashamed that his partner's car "resembles a vagina"), and so spend their days fantasizing about being powerful superheroes who "ooze machismo" and "make a difference". Gradually, however, our duo realise that anyone can be a superhero, so long as they "step up the plate", "do their jobs well" and "take down the bad guys". The bad guys being a group of corporations who run a giant Ponzi scheme, betray investors and suck money directly out of the public purse, as well as the equally unethical Obama administration, which bails out banks and businesses, green-lights "Troubled Asset Relief Programmes" and re-routes public sector money into failing companies which it deems "too big to fail". References to Bernie Madoff, Enron, Lehman Brothers etc are sprinkled throughout the film. The film then ends with a series of blunt title-cards which share statistics torn from the financial crisis. Here, amongst other things, we read what the TARP bailout really cost the American public, that after the bailout over 1.2 billion in tax payer dollars went into the bonuses of just 73 AIG executives, that Goldman Sachs got a huge tax break that saw its tax rate drop from 34 percent to just 1 percent, that the typical American retirement account has lost nearly half its value over the last five years (while CEO salaries went up 300-500 percent) etc etc. It's an odd, unexpected bit of pop agit-prop, an extended power point presentation over which Rage Against the Machine sings a cover of Bob Dylan's anti-corporate anthem, "Maggie's Farm".

This credit sequence may be clunky, but it nevertheless does well to provoke us into re-reading the film which we think we just watched. In hindsight, "Guys" shows what constitutes grand theft these days, and highlights how traditional uber-masculine action hero logic is totally incapable of addressing 21st century concerns.

Interestingly, Wahlberg's character spends the entire film confused and dumbfounded, blaming the film's central crime on "drug cartels" and "latino gangs". He's been indoctrinated into an antiquated brand of crime drama. But the real criminals, the film shows, are on Wall Street. They are the real "other guys", blissfully ignored by all. Meanwhile, a poster of Sylvester Stallone's "Cobra", in which Sly played a renegade police Lieutenant who violently got the job done, stands proudly in Wahlberg's apartment. The poster not only addresses the irrelevancy of the aggressively masculine ideal in a world in which muscle is incapable of bringing corporate misconduct to justice, but illuminates what constitutes true, new (fiscal) muscle.

It's no "The Wire", but McKay is nevertheless right to be deliberately uncinematic and audience-unfriendly (the film's central crime is as murky to us as it is to our heroes). Of course all "corporate" and "bureaucratic" crimes are largely visually uninteresting. But it's not only that the complications of such crime don't fit typical Hollywood formulae, but that "The Other Guys'" confusion echoes the general population's confusion over the recent financial crisis. Indeed, the crisis depends on such confusion, wrapping itself up in faux mystique and deliberately convoluted "inside-speak" which the media itself propagates rather than untangles. End result: the film's heroes are as scrambled as today's populace. Many directly responsible for the crisis remain confused themselves, unable to fathom how the system they had faith in could collapse around them; but of course the system itself is dependent on a kind of irrationality, and mass, almost psychotic faith.

Some of the film's jokes are fairly good, like one in which Wahlberg misunderstands the role of the Federal Reserve (and so no wonder crime happens under his nose), one in which Ferrell meets with the Securities and Exchange Commission and casually rattles off a list of all the big, recent Wall Street ripoffs the SEC failed to avert (Enron, WorldCom, Madoff, AIG etc) and one in which two cops tell a classroom of children that the best way to avoid getting arrested is to "try your hardest to not be as African-American or Latino as possible". The film pokes fun at the fall in journalism standards and the irrelevancy of debt rating agencies who give AAA ratings to companies with no integrity, but unfortunately is more content to be silly than a well thought out thematic critique of social reality.

Ultimately, "Guys" is a movie about excess: financial excess, testosterone excess, American excess etc. But it also works well as a tongue-in-cheek homage to noirs (jazzy score, sprawling cityscapes, a loner hero up against faceless, impenetrable evil) and also exhibits what is now a growing trend in action movies: the self-critical action hero, ashamed of his need to be conjured up. No longer are action heroes lug-headed tough guys, or even wink-at-the-audience, ironic heroes in on the joke (Indy, Bond, McClane etc). No, now action heroes ("Green Hornet", "Suckerpunch" etc) possess a kind of critical self-reflexivity. They know, shamefully, they exist due to a certain audience or social lack.

Among the cast, Wahlberg stands out. Funnier than Ferrell, he reprises his role from "I Heart Huckabees", and oozes an endearing mix of boyish vulnerability, funny earnestness and stupidly sincere wistfulness. The film's anti-corporate message is monetised and exploited by its financier, Sony Corporation, a conglomerate with its own unending list of unethical and illegal skeletons in the closet. Better art deals with this paradox.

8.5/10 – See director's cut. Worth one viewing.

Off-the-wall cops and financial frauders

Author: TheHrunting from United States
8 August 2011

At first glance, this looks to be another same-ol', same-ol' buddy cop movie after just getting over the sour taste of "Cop Out." Though this was one of the better comedies of 2010, as generic, stupid or pointless it may initially seem--it ain't. This also works as an action movie spoof that is less exaggerated than "Loaded Weapon" and "Hot Shots" and more closer to "Hot Fuzz," if still unlike. It's off in its own odd-ball world where everyday life is noteworthy and completely over-the-top silly in a way similar to the director's other works like "Anchorman" and "Talladega Nights." The simplistic story has some relating points, though the scenarios and setups in between is what makes this an amusing ride that has capability of repeating and reliving.

Two NYPD detectives are begrudgingly assigned together and have to maintain the partner's code which entails getting each other's backs, except they have nothing in common to the point of being the absolute antithesis of one another. Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) is a man's man who's more street wise than book smart and also doesn't express himself through anything but anger and disapproval: a yell, a smirk, a cold stare at the slightest slip in his chauvinist view. Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) is a learned but gullible man who's the everybody-make-fun-of guy due to everything he does going strictly by the book, not to mention looking like a straight-edge accountant that he is who plays it safe behind his desk, outdated specs and the wheels of a Prius.

The super cops--more like "superstars"--of the department get first dibs on calls and are practically treated like royalty. Highsmith (Samuel L. Jackson) and Danson (Dwayne Johnson) wear their shades, flashy clothing and drive their muscle cars, except until they unexpectedly check out early and someone else takes their place in front of the cameras and press stands. Hoitz wants him and his tight-end partner to step up after being stuck behind a desk--or as he puts it "I am a peacock, you gotta let me fly!"--by doing everyone else's paper work. Except first they have some competition with the wise crackin' partners Martin (Rob Riggle) and Fosse (Damon Wayans Jr.) who can't help to mess with Gamble, such as making him do a "desk pop" and fire his gun in the office as if it's just some supposed initiation. Gamble stumbles onto some evidence after making what seems to be a pointless arrest for a financial investor named David Ershon (Steve Coogan). After the Captain (Michael Keaton) tells them to repeatedly back off, they still urge ahead as they have a gut hunch and suspect something fishy's going with other people's money. That is only after they get bribed to sports games and concerts but are too stupid to realize, not to mention are being chased by a ruthless security team headed by an Australian named Wesley (Ray Stevenson) who keeps rolling a bolder in their path.

As dorky as Gamble is you realize there's another side to him, such as for some reason attracting all the fine ladies without even having to try. Hoitz is a straight shooter that you find out has something in him but is afraid to let it out, such as secretly knowing ballet, but only because he wanted to imitate how "queer" it was when younger. They have to prove themselves and reverse the decisions that landed them to desk jockey duty instead of being out there with the big boys. But first they have to dodge a couple of reprimands from the Captain who needs to keep his guys in line so he can put his bi-sexual son who wants to be a DJ through college. Now it's all about two cops going out on a limb by sifting through the politics and doing what's right. Yep, it's about as cliché as that but the story--still with some relating points about bailouts and Ponzi schemes--isn't the entire emphasis but also the inventive puns, jokes and comedic observations to go along with it about things in general, pop culture and cop movie fare.

Similar to "Cop Out," this has everything a bad movie usually has, except the difference is "The Other Guys" used its purposeful set-backs to its advantage with consistent timing and the chemistry of a team to pull that off with. Otherwise, it's such an overused convention that rides a fine line that can fall on its face when not pulling off the trick without a hitch. Where would this be without some shoot outs and car chases like a good ol' cop and bad guys story even if they are even more exaggerated than what they're emulating. This is often direct, unashamed, raunchy and mean-spirited, but at the same time hilarious in that it takes it all the way to the hilt without feeling guilty about it. They say some of the most ridiculous lines but while maintaining a completely stern-faced serious look. This has an abundance of I-can't-believe-they-just-went-there snappy jokes with a well-timed comedic side on all fronts that makes this such a thoroughly and highly entertaining and fun experience that should be fresh for some time.