IMDb > The Other Guys (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Other Guys

The Other Guys More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 32: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [Next]

Average

Author: Chris L from France
4 December 2012

The Other Guys scores an average grade like most of the Adam McKay-Will Ferrell collaborations.

This one starts a bit slower than usual, the time to establish our quirky pair of cops. The plot is rather enjoyable to follow even though, of course, it is very classic and consensual. It unfolds a bit roughly, due to a rhythm issue, which is often the case in McKay's filmography.

As for the humour, the gags are, like always, quite uneven: some are very good, some fall flat, but the absurdity characterizing McKay & Ferrell is still noticeable.

The latter is in a great shape, whereas Wahlberg struggled throughout the movie with this unusual comic role.

An okay film to be completely fair

Author: illbebackreviews from Australia
1 December 2012

I'll be completely honest with this film. A friend of mine told me to watch 'The Other Guys' and so I gave it a go. I was particularly excited to see the great Samuel L Jackson, to see Dwayne Johnson and also so excited to see Will Ferrel and star from Ted, Mark Walberg.

The film started off extremely well, but soon things began to fall downhill. The start of the film, that is until Jackson and Johnson's characters were killed, was extremely funny with great action making the premise of the story exciting. After their deaths, things went all quiet and the film lost its tone.

Don't get me wrong. I thought that pretty much all the actors did a good job in this film, in particularly Will Ferrel who had some of the funnier moments, but I just don't understand what many people love this film so much. I mean, sure it had some laughs, but the plot has been so overused in many films, its actually quite boring after a little while

In my honest opinion, I myself wouldn't recommend this to those action/comedy fans as I myself am one. Being a huge fan of the Rush Hour series, Lethal Weapon and Die Hard, I found the action in this film extremely boring and the cinematography very ordinary. The script itself isn't very inspirational, the character development doesn't really occur and things don't go that well.

Quite humorous.

Author: deatman9 from Canada
22 November 2012

I never really wanted to see this movie all that bad but it was on T.V the other night so I decided hey what the hell and gave it a watch. It did have its funny moments no surprise starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg who actually make a pretty good duo together. Ferrell obviously being the more experienced comedian really stole the show and made it good. The story line was kind of unoriginal and it had a huge budget I cant possibly see how they spent it.

This movie is about two cops who are desperate to become the new hero cops after the last two hero cops jumped off a building thinking a little patch of bushes would save them. They take on a new case and try to figure it out and make a name for themselves.

This movie was pretty good but it was nothing special. It definitely had its moments and is worth a watch or two just nothing you will be talking about for days to come after watching.

Author: Rameshwar IN from India
13 November 2012

I was skeptical about this and the first 10 minutes of the movie didn't help either. It may not be the best buddy cop parody but the level of slapstick humor can be on par with the Simpsons or Family Guy. Though it has a lot of references, it is original in its own way.

Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) and Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) are the most under looked cops in their department and both have their histories for it. When a spot opens up after the death of the department's super cops, Terry wants to step in with his reluctant partner. What starts off as a minor scaffolding charge escalates to a multi-million dollar fraud and these two are in the middle of it.

Wahlberg reprises his role similar to that of the one he played in The Departed, void his superiority and confidence. Ferrell steals the show occasionally as most of the slapstick humor is handled by him especially the pimp back story part. The late realization of them being bribed part was funny so is Ferrell's constant bickering on his hot girl friends. It is intentionally mindless and was willing to do anything to get a laugh out of you. I don't see any innovation on other departments like music or cinematography but editing is slick.

It works great if you watch with least expectations and putting your brain on hibernate.

If you show up for the game, you have to play all four quarters.

Author: qormi from United States
4 October 2012

This movie had some hilarious moments. Farrell and Wahlberg have great chemistry and I would like to see a sequel to this film. Very original comedy - Johnson and Jackson as super cops was like a movie-within-a movie. The action sequences involving them were the best I've ever seen. I'd like to see them in a buddy movie with their '71 Chevelle. Some moments were too funny - like the offhanded comment when Jackson tells Farrell to shut up or he'll... (do something with his hand). The thing about Farrell's pimping past and his hot wife was hilarious. The part where Farrell's ex-girlfriend and her loony husband..Wahlberg's neurotic machismo....throwing Farrell's gift out the window...That said, the movie had some drawbacks - the villain, a Bernie Madoff type, was too vague and uninteresting - he seemed like a nice guy, which didn't work well; not well-developed.The entire movie petered out toward the end. As in a football analogy, the fist three quarters were terrific; the fourth quarter was filled with confusing action sequences and fell flat.

surprised by the negative reviews

Author: J_Charles from over there
3 September 2012

I found this movie hilarious. Along the same lines as Tropic Thunder which was a satire of war movies, this one was a send up of cop films. You've got the crusty old chief. You've got Mark Wahlberg playing his usual tough guy cop character except this time going way over the top. And then there's Will Ferrell playing the odd, (borderline creepy) nerdish stats cop who has an uncanny and inexplicable desirability among the ladies.

The plot is barely there, and is just enough to send our heroes from one mishap to another. The real gems of this movie is the interplay between Wahlberg and Farrell.

The Other Guys - 3.5 Stars

Author: Austin Takahashi from Philippines
28 August 2012

Only in a film by Adam McKay will you see scenes involving cubicle flute-playing, willful self-stabbing, and testicle drum-rubbing portrayed with such passion. And only a man named Will Ferrell will do all these acts just because he can. The Other Guys succeeds in further extending McKay's and Ferrell's track record for being the most haphazardly ambitious comedians in Hollywood.

A quarter pound of illegal drugs needs to be recovered, and twelve million dollars worth of property damage later, they are recovered. No thanks are due to New York City's cockiest detectives Danson and Highsmith, who are uproariously played by Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L. Jackson. But they are not what this movie is about. Living beneath, far beneath their shadows are Allen Gamble and Terry Hoitz.

Danson's and Highsmith's spotlight are later emptied for reasons I shall not discuss, and Terry notices that vacant spotlight and desires to fill it at the first opportunity that he can. But he can't do it alone, and must first convince Allen to go with him in the field and prove themselves worthy of more than mere paperwork at a desk. Oh, but Allen has different, less dangerous goals than Terry, which inspires some exchange of words, a few dozen fights, and a couple of felonies if I'm not mistaken.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/the-other-guys/

A typical Will Ferrell and Adam McKay project

Author: guy-nicholas from United States
23 May 2012

Adam McKay and Will Ferrell have made a variety of films. The best one being Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. We have, following it, Talladega Nights, Step Brothers, and then we have the Other Guys. Step Brothers had its moments, but a lot of it was just a bunch of crude language showing itself off for no comic function. Talladega Nights is another movie I thoroughly enjoyed. I thought it was consistently funny, and vulgar in the right ways. Now I'm faced with the Other Guys, starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. This movie is different from those other movies in story, characters, but it still has the normal Will Ferrell stupid humor. This movie was very funny, yes, but it had some issues, or at least, I thought so. The vulgarity wasn't that bad, for it was a PG-13 movie, and when it was vulgar, it made sense and served comic function. The typical stupid humor, most of the time, works. Though there are some things that are TOO stupid, that just aren't funny.

The story is pretty standard, but, for a Will Ferrell movie, it's good enough. There are two cops who are considered the "heroes" of their city. When they die (in a very funny way, if I can say that) there are two rookie cops, or, "the other guys." Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) is just a cop who doesn't get into the action, just sits at his desk, which he loves, and does paperwork. Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) is another one of these, except he doesn't like his job, but he was put there due to a stupid mistake he made. He yearns to be the good cop again, and pull off cases. When these two cops die, Terry drags Allen into a case to try and become the next hot shots. This story is pretty funny, for Allen knows nothing about the action part, and just the information part of it. When faced with actual action, he knows nothing about it. Terry knows nothing about the information, and is a real jerk to Allen. They try to pass this off as funny, but sometimes instead of laughing you feel bad for Allen.

The movie has some funny jokes, plus a nice supporting cast, such as Michael Keaton, Eva Mendes, Steve Coogan, Rob Riggle (who may have himself a career with all the appearances he's making), etc. My only problem with this movie is Mark Wahlberg. Hold on, hold on! I love Mark Wahlberg, don't get me wrong, but he just seemed very awkward in this movie. Sure, there were some funny things that he did and said, but he just seemed awkward. Mark Wahlberg is not your typical comedy guy, and he shouldn't do it again. Comedy does not come naturally to him, he's more of a badass than a funny guy. Will Ferrell has comedy built into his genes, and he can automatically make something funny. Mark Wahlberg is more built for action movies or dramas and not comedy. It doesn't suit him, but he does have some good moments.

Overall, this movie is pretty funny, but it isn't laugh out loud hilarious. Most of the laughs are just little giggles and chuckles, but nothing super hilarious. Though, it is an enjoyable movie. Would I watch it again? In the future when I've forgotten it, yes, but it wouldn't be a movie I would watch over and over.

Sorry... Disappointing...

Author: Andy Steel
6 May 2012

Quite well made with some nice stunt work in the car chase scenes and some decent cinematography in the outdoor scenes. There are many things that let this movie down, not least is the dialogue, it's terrible! I can't remember when I've watched a film where a joke is performed and then explained afterwards! It has a 12 certificate here in the UK and (I guess) if I was twelve I might have found it funny(ish), but I'm not and it most certainly wasn't. If you want a decent cop based comedy/drama then I can recommend any of the 'Lethal Weapon' films, they are SO much better than this, which most definitely does not get my vote!... NOT Recommended.

My score: 4.3/10

IMDb Score: 6.6/10 (based on 76,191 votes at the time of going to press).

MetaScore: 64/100: (Based on 35 critic reviews provided by Metacritic.com at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes 'Tomatometer' Score: 79/100 (based on 191 reviews counted at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes 'Audience' Score: 57/100 (based on 137,002 user ratings counted at the time of going to press).

You can find an expanded version of this review on my blog: Thoughts of a SteelMonster.

Strenuous, Energetic, Weak.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
12 April 2012

Well, I wanted to like this film. I thought Mark Wahlberg delivered an entirely believable performance in "The Departed" and was quite good in "Boogie Nights," especially for a newbie. And Michael Keaton in a supporting part is usually convincing, whether in comedy or drama. But everybody involved in this production is defeated by a script that reeks of adolescent jokes and contrived incongruity.

Wahlberg and Will Ferrell are two mismatched cops who stumble without orders into an important embezzlement case involving a horde of people high up on the food chain. How's that for novelty? You want jokes? Some are reasonably pointed but this one is more typical. The NYPD are mostly testosterone-ridden goons who are into muscle cars and are fond of calling people "fruits". Wahlberg and Ferrell are riding in Ferrell's sensible little Prius hybrid coupe. Wahlberg remarks, "I feel like I'm riding in a vagina." There's a good deal of action. It goes without saying. What would a post-modern movie be like without a couple of fire balls and speeding car chases to distract the young girls and keep the young boys turgid? Only two people, I think, get killed but it's a comic moment. The two crooked cops wisecrack as they fall ten stories or so onto the pavement.

But there is a cornucopia of wisecracks, most of them as flat as the two cops on the sidewalk. The whole affair reminded me somewhat of "The Squeeze," another failed comedy in which Michael Keaton appeared, as did I. The frenzied action scenes always leave a bit of room for some fitful and discordant observation that's supposed to be hilarious. After they barely scrape through a monster car pile up, a passenger remarks, "Boy, did you see that van tumble? I mean, it just went over and over." But that's not funny. It's just silly.

A few situations clear the bar. One involves Ferrell's being unable to approach his house to talk to his succulent wife. The place is being watched. So Ferrell and his wife trade messages by sending Ferrell's ancient mother-in-law hobbling back and forth across the street with her geriatric walker. The hoary old lady has to convey messages along the lines of, "She wants you to ride her like a bucking bronco and do something with that electric razor on the end of the golf club." The jokes might or might not be funny but the elderly actress, Viola Harris, convinces us that her protests -- "That's too PERSONAL. I can't SAY it!" -- are sincere. She's hilarious. That's more than can be said for Ferrell, who isn't funny at all as a police accountant drawn into field work. The part was made for the Alan Arkin of thirty years ago.

Too bad.