IMDb > The Other Guys (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Other Guys

The Other Guys More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 32: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Great ridiculousness

Author: SnoopyStyle
28 September 2014

P.K. Highsmith (Samuel L. Jackson) and Christopher Danson (Dwayne Johnson) are the best action hero rock star cops in the NYPD. They get into outlandish chases for nothing arrests. Everybody loves them. Martin (Rob Riggle) and Fosse (Damon Wayans Jr.) are the jokers. Captain Gene Mauch (Michael Keaton) is in charge. Then there are the Other Guys. Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) is a naive paper pusher. His partner Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) is still trying to make up for shooting Derek Jeter. Gamble is eager to do paperwork for the heroes and Hoitz hates him for it. Highsmith and Danson finally kill themselves stupidly in a chase. Everybody wants to be the next hero cops. Hoitz forces Gamble to take on a high profile case. David Ershon (Steve Coogan) is an investment banker who lost $32 billion of Pamela Boardman (Anne Heche)'s fund. She demands that he replace the losses and he tries to go on the run. Gamble arrests Ershon on a scaffolding permit violation but a professional team takes him. On the personal side, Hoitz can't believe that Gamble is married to Sheila (Eva Mendes).

I would have loved a buddy cop movie with Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson. This is just as good in a completely different way. Ferrell is hilarious and Wahlberg is the perfect angry foil. The fighting partners have great chemistry. The angrier Wahlberg gets, the funnier the movie gets. Adam McKay has a great sense of the ridiculous. The story is stupid. The setups are insane. The dialog is hilarious. There are some gut busting laughs.

A messy buddy cop comedy

Author: Adam Peters from Birkenhead United Kingdom
28 August 2014

(48%) This isn't a comedy buddy cop movie, it's a buddy cop movie set in a parallel universe, or another solar system, because this sure as hell isn't set in modern day planet earth. Sam Jackson and The Rock play cartoon characters, fun cartoon characters, but nevertheless they still very much belong on the pages of the funny pages. While every other character could easily be replaced by a Muppet, or a Looney tune without any change to the script at all. The movie is at times at least funny, but the laughs do really start to dip as the 30 min mark comes around as too much stuff is repeated or just isn't very good, and there's quite a bit of crazy action, but then again much of it is really badly shot with almost extreme shaky-cam that ruins the fun and doesn't fit in with the rest of the movie. So as a comedy it's more than a bit lacking, and as an action movie it's sub-par, but it's still partly worth a look and isn't awful by any means. It just could have been so much better than it really is.

A surprisingly funny film which isn't really a comedy

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
28 July 2014

Sometimes a 'comedy' film boasts a whole host of A-list comedic actors and ends up not being particularly funny at all. Now, 'The Other Guys' may have veteran comedian Will Ferrell as top billing, but Mark Wahlberg is an unlikely partner for an out-and-out comedy film.

But then The Other Guys isn't really a comedy. The humour is strange and not that obvious, let alone appreciated by all. I've seen plenty of reviews where people claim not to have laughed once. I, on the other hand, couldn't seem to stop laughing all the way through. However, like I say, this isn't really a comedy. It's only slightly less serious than the Lethal Weapon films. It's really a buddy-cop movie with shoot-outs, car chases and double-crossing that just so happens to be quite amusing as an off-shoot.

Ferrell and Wahlberg play off each other well and the supporting stars all have their moments, too. It's hard to say what the target audience is, as the film encompasses so many genres. I guess it's a bit of a shot in the dark as to whether you'll enjoy it or not. But, if you're generally into Will Ferrell movies, or you're in the mood for an action/thriller/cop movie/comedy then give it a go.

It's quite an entertainment, but the magic only works up until near the end

Author: Johan Dondokambey from Indonesia
3 July 2014

Another action comedy based on a pair of cops. Also it's with the obvious combination, one hot headed foul mouthed tough guy, and one previously cooped up almost nerdy geeky pacifist. Unfortunately the story develops all too much like all those previous works. The action is not that good, even for an action comedy. This movie doesn't offer any new thing besides random shooting and car chases. The good part of this movie is actually all those nifty little jokes, especially the ones in the dialog. The action by Wahlberg and Ferrell is just about average, nothing special. For me Ferrell here is not quite the Ferrell we used to see, there is less of his signature hyperbolic manner of going into his character. On the other hand, Mark Wahlberg is, like almost always, not successful in being funny.

Love it!

Author: erin-bucks
8 June 2014

I have seen this movie more times than I can count and for good reason. I always come back to The Other Guys for a laugh if I need one. My friends and I are in love with the script and probably have memorized about 70% of the quotes in this movie. The dynamic duo of Terry and Alan make this movie great!! I love both Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrel and they work perfectly together in this movie.

There are some odd moments in this movie that seem to not make sense, but I guess that's why I gave it 8 out of 10 stars. The bottom line is is that if you are looking for a funny movie to watch that is sure to make you laugh then look no further. You have found it! The Other Guys. It's worth the time!

A funny comedy that has Ferrell on form

Author: willcundallreview from United Kingdom
26 May 2014

Rating-7/10

The Other Guys is a comedy that boats not just funny stunts and dialogue, but also a very good action performance for a comedy role. Mixing slightly crude jokes well enough so it isn't too bad, and then adding into the mix smartly thought out jokes, this movie turns out very fun. Adam McKay yet again is back to his best making comedies, whether or not this is his very best work, well that is not my decision to make although I felt this was strongly a pretty good film.

The story about cops in a comedy seems a bit Cliché but it honestly works out in the end to be funny, takes just a little time getting started and not "all" jokes work but still gives good laughs. The story is actually quite fun, go along with the plot and enjoy the jokes and you will hugely enjoy this, it doesn't contain all the action I expected from the posters but still has some, when it used it usually very funny, I will add though, the jokes are never quite crying but there a lot of chuckles nevertheless, good fun.

Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg put in a funny performance here, acted funny yes, Ferrell at his best, well maybe not but even so when it comes to where it matters he really knows how to do comedy. Wahlberg goes along well to say he isn't the comedy specialist and if you didn't know he usually does serious films, you would possibly think he is a comedy actor, good work. No one else makes a serious attempt to out do the main two guys but a bit more of Samuel L Jackson could have made this just a little better, maybe just a little little.

It is written well with McKay doing directing and writing duties here, he seems to control Ferrell with a different way from say Anchorman, he lets Ferrell go a bit more control freak but stupid yet not turn into Ron Burgundy, good job from him. I appreciated the dialogue a bit but a lot of the comedy comes from it's physical aspect, so occasionally the talking gets a little shaky(immature to be fair), but it works out all well.

Of any criticisms come to this, it is the missed jokes, not always funny and that is why it really isn't a great film, close to good but as I say not great. You could say the film also as previously said lacks the action that might seem a given with this film, it isn't completely without action but we should get to see just a little more. I felt Whalberg doesn't always deliver his comedic performance always well although of course he isn't used to it and this is new territory.

Ferrell fans won't be disappointed at all, they should hugely enjoy this and it may just rank among your favourites, again if anyone particularly likes McKay films then you will also like this, his marks are all over this one. For those less inclined to these two guys above, it is fun anyway and you should get some laughs out of it, if you consider yourself very highbrow when it comes to comedy, you may not enjoy it so much but just take a little chill pill with this and you should enjoy.

Overall I give this a 7/10, it is in my opinion Strongly Kind of Good, goes far away from just being OK as well, a good job and possibly unexpected. Watch it and enjoy, it has plenty of funny lines and parts, a story like I said, is good to go along on with and really tries hard to get fans, unlike so others that seem lazy and overused. One more thing to say is that if you watch this and you enjoy Ferrell's type of comedy, it will make you cry, different maybe to how he is in some of his other comedies although still has that funny serious look even when he is stupid.

Okay...ish

Author: shivam-hora from India
4 April 2014

The only reason i gave this movie even a six is Will Ferrell and Wahlberg..

It is only these guys that make the movie work because i wasn't really a fan of this film's story line. The comedy is minimal and some of it is even not funny. The problem is just that we expect more when it comes to such a star cast and an amazing guest appearance by Samuel Jackson and Dwayne Johnson.

If you're looking to find a simple flick to pass your time. This might be the right choice, however if you want some serious comedy.. skip it.

Only watch this when you know you don't have anything better to watch, or you just might end up regretting..

Surprisingly Humorous Stereotypical Cop Parody

Author: Cs_The_Moment from United Kingdom
16 March 2014

The Other Guys is a stereotype of its parody-cop-film genre, but before you write it off completely, it bites back with some genuine humour. As is to be expected, it is full of silly moments and unbelievable clichés, but there were also a surprising number of laugh out loud moments. Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg play two unconventional detectives who are paired up after both facing disgrace and ending up with a police desk job. They jump in on a case and end up with a lot more than they bargained for, predictably causing mayhem along the way.

The characters portrayed by Ferrell and Wahlberg are not a far cry from their usual typecasts: Ferrell is the geeky oddball and Wahlberg is the "tough-guy-jerk", and there are similarly stereotypical roles played by supporting actors such as Eva Mendes and Steve Coogan. Initially this is off-putting, but once you get into the film this becomes less cringey, however I would definitely suggest giving this film a miss if you aren't a fan of both Ferrell and Wahlberg. In typical parody-cop- film style, the film is full of predictable situations topped off with outrageous stunts and cheesy one-liners, however the stunts are fairly impressive and some of these lines provide unexpected laughs. Several of Ferrell's lines felt like a nod to his character of Ron Burgundy in Anchorman (2004), although his nerdy cop role in this is a far cry from the hilarious news anchor. The relationship between Ferrell and Wahlberg may start off ridiculous, but ends up being quite an enjoyable pairing. It doesn't present anything new or ground-breaking to the genre, but I didn't really expect anything different.

Strangely enjoyable despite being one huge stereotype, this film is unexpectedly entertaining if you're in the mood for some lowbrow humour and cliché. Expect cheap laughs and crazy car chases aplenty.

Enjoyably silly

Author: Rachel Pierson from Scotland
19 February 2014

This film was childish, stupid, clichéd, and utterly hilarious. Most of the jokes work so well because they parody buddy cop movies so accurately. Will Ferrell comedies can be something of a hit and miss affair (e.g., Cowbell sketch and Anchor Man = comedy gold, Talladega Nights and Blades of Glory = not so much.) But, if you found *any* of Ferrell's other work funny, you'll probably enjoy this too as it's amongst his best.

Mark Wahlberg was also pretty funny as the straight guy. (Him meeting Will Ferrell's character's wife was particularly funny.) I can't warm to him as a human being owing to his violent, racist past (as a teenager he used to throw rocks at younger black schoolkids, and he was jailed for an unprovoked, racially-motivated attack on a Vietnamese man that left him blind in one eye.) I'm all for allowing people to change, move on and become better human beings. But in Wahlberg's case I still see a lot of the arrogance and thuggery in him whenever he's being interviewed. That's why I can't really respect him as a person or as an actor. But I digress.

To summarise, this film works as a comedy. It's not quite up there with some of my absolute favourite comedies like Scrooged and There's Something About Mary, but it's still pretty funny.

Laughed a lot

Author: jerrysolley from United States
23 January 2014

I actually laughed more at Wahlberg than Ferrell. Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson are in the film a bit as the head cops; like a newer Starsky and Hutch. They were entertaining. Eva Mendes plays Ferrell's wife and she is actually entertaining. Then the chief of the police station is played by Michael Keaton. Throughout the movie he kept quoting from the group TLC. He was actually also pretty funny. You will find yourself laughing a lot throughout the film. But there are some parts where they do try to be serious and most of the time it can be a turn off in a good comedy. There are some great one liners and scenes that will stick in your mind. So a pretty good comedy and I will end by saying, I want to see Mark Mahlberg do more comedic roles, because he is pretty good in them.