IMDb > The Other Guys (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Other Guys

The Other Guys More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 29: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

Poor Effort by Adam McKay

Author: scooby2938 from United States
7 August 2010

Sadly, I feel like going out of my way to criticize Adam McKay for this movie, the same man responsible for some of my favorite new comedies such as Anchorman and Step Brothers. I would call him too ambitious for stepping out of his genre if it weren't for the apparent lack of effort in the writing and editing. The script was uneven, with a plot unsure of how to progress and seemingly secondary to the banter between Ferrell and Wahlberg, who failed to capture any real chemistry as partners. Wahlberg, in the movie, actually played a large caricature of himself and the character development for both leads was too far from believable to have anything but a negative impact on the film as a whole. I found myself wondering when this movie was going to get better only to see it take multiple turns for the worse, leaving me shaking my head in disappointment. I was disappointed scene after scene throughout. Even the surprise political message during the credits was out of place and I found myself wondering if this movie had actually been viewed all the way through before its release to catch any disjointed flow. The only redeeming factors are the funny one liners that McKay movies have always triumphed on, but even some of those were misplaced, too ridiculous, or just forced.

Disappointed

Author: slepor from United States
7 August 2010

Infrequent funny spots and not even half-way into the movie was just wanting it to end. The story and script are so poorly written/edited that it even makes the stellar cast seem like bad actors. Through the entire movie, you just sit there waiting for it to get better, but it never does. There is never a connection between Ferrell and Wahlberg, neither comedically or as partners on the police force, nor is there a connection with the supporting cast. The entire movie seems disjointed and boring with a few funny parts thrown in to keep you from walking out on the movie. Talladega Nights and Anchorman are two of my all-time favorite movies; however, this movie doesn't even come close. Wait for it to become a discount rental.

Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg Make A Great,Unexpected Team,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
9 June 2013

The Other Guys is a fantastic movie with a great storyline,an impressive cast and hilarious characters.Its definitely a must see for Will Ferrell/Adam McKay fans like myself and the buddy cop team of Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg was a terrific match.The movie has a lot of laugh out loud scenes,like all the beautiful women obsessed with Will Ferrell's character,and when the characters get tricked into seeing Jersey Boys.Id also like to mention a good idea I thought of when watching this movie,one of the best parts,in my opinion,in the scenes at the beginning with Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L. Jackson as the two head police,I think this would make a great spin-off movie,obviously it would have to be a prequel,but the two actors are good enough to make that work,they clearly made a great team and a prequel showing how the two first met and became a team would be fantastic,people would definitely see it,I personally think.Fans Of Will Ferrell,and Mark Wahlberg in less serious roles should definitely watch The Other Guys.

Two cops (Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell) that are always stuck with the parer work of the two head police (Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson) finally get an opportunity to experience the kind of work they do everyday.

Funny throughout

Author: phd_travel from United States
25 December 2012

There are laughs almost from beginning to end. Most of the characters and situations are hilarious.

The dialog is sharp, current, spontaneous, original and combines both the crude and the sophisticated. Liked the wide ranging references and unexpected jokes.

Good chases and action scenes in NYC too.

Especially liked the running jokes about Eva Mendes as the too hot wife of Will Ferrell and the bribery.

Overall one of the funnier cop comedies made. Remember to watch the closing credits.

Average

Author: Chris L from France
4 December 2012

The Other Guys scores an average grade like most of the Adam McKay-Will Ferrell collaborations.

This one starts a bit slower than usual, the time to establish our quirky pair of cops. The plot is rather enjoyable to follow even though, of course, it is very classic and consensual. It unfolds a bit roughly, due to a rhythm issue, which is often the case in McKay's filmography.

As for the humour, the gags are, like always, quite uneven: some are very good, some fall flat, but the absurdity characterizing McKay & Ferrell is still noticeable.

The latter is in a great shape, whereas Wahlberg struggled throughout the movie with this unusual comic role.

An okay film to be completely fair

Author: illbebackreviews from Australia
1 December 2012

I'll be completely honest with this film. A friend of mine told me to watch 'The Other Guys' and so I gave it a go. I was particularly excited to see the great Samuel L Jackson, to see Dwayne Johnson and also so excited to see Will Ferrel and star from Ted, Mark Walberg.

The film started off extremely well, but soon things began to fall downhill. The start of the film, that is until Jackson and Johnson's characters were killed, was extremely funny with great action making the premise of the story exciting. After their deaths, things went all quiet and the film lost its tone.

Don't get me wrong. I thought that pretty much all the actors did a good job in this film, in particularly Will Ferrel who had some of the funnier moments, but I just don't understand what many people love this film so much. I mean, sure it had some laughs, but the plot has been so overused in many films, its actually quite boring after a little while

In my honest opinion, I myself wouldn't recommend this to those action/comedy fans as I myself am one. Being a huge fan of the Rush Hour series, Lethal Weapon and Die Hard, I found the action in this film extremely boring and the cinematography very ordinary. The script itself isn't very inspirational, the character development doesn't really occur and things don't go that well.

Quite humorous.

Author: deatman9 from Canada
22 November 2012

I never really wanted to see this movie all that bad but it was on T.V the other night so I decided hey what the hell and gave it a watch. It did have its funny moments no surprise starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg who actually make a pretty good duo together. Ferrell obviously being the more experienced comedian really stole the show and made it good. The story line was kind of unoriginal and it had a huge budget I cant possibly see how they spent it.

This movie is about two cops who are desperate to become the new hero cops after the last two hero cops jumped off a building thinking a little patch of bushes would save them. They take on a new case and try to figure it out and make a name for themselves.

This movie was pretty good but it was nothing special. It definitely had its moments and is worth a watch or two just nothing you will be talking about for days to come after watching.

Author: Rameshwar IN from India
13 November 2012

I was skeptical about this and the first 10 minutes of the movie didn't help either. It may not be the best buddy cop parody but the level of slapstick humor can be on par with the Simpsons or Family Guy. Though it has a lot of references, it is original in its own way.

Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) and Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) are the most under looked cops in their department and both have their histories for it. When a spot opens up after the death of the department's super cops, Terry wants to step in with his reluctant partner. What starts off as a minor scaffolding charge escalates to a multi-million dollar fraud and these two are in the middle of it.

Wahlberg reprises his role similar to that of the one he played in The Departed, void his superiority and confidence. Ferrell steals the show occasionally as most of the slapstick humor is handled by him especially the pimp back story part. The late realization of them being bribed part was funny so is Ferrell's constant bickering on his hot girl friends. It is intentionally mindless and was willing to do anything to get a laugh out of you. I don't see any innovation on other departments like music or cinematography but editing is slick.

It works great if you watch with least expectations and putting your brain on hibernate.

If you show up for the game, you have to play all four quarters.

Author: qormi from United States
4 October 2012

This movie had some hilarious moments. Farrell and Wahlberg have great chemistry and I would like to see a sequel to this film. Very original comedy - Johnson and Jackson as super cops was like a movie-within-a movie. The action sequences involving them were the best I've ever seen. I'd like to see them in a buddy movie with their '71 Chevelle. Some moments were too funny - like the offhanded comment when Jackson tells Farrell to shut up or he'll... (do something with his hand). The thing about Farrell's pimping past and his hot wife was hilarious. The part where Farrell's ex-girlfriend and her loony husband..Wahlberg's neurotic machismo....throwing Farrell's gift out the window...That said, the movie had some drawbacks - the villain, a Bernie Madoff type, was too vague and uninteresting - he seemed like a nice guy, which didn't work well; not well-developed.The entire movie petered out toward the end. As in a football analogy, the fist three quarters were terrific; the fourth quarter was filled with confusing action sequences and fell flat.

Awkward, weird, hilarious comedy to make you cringe!

Author: Y R from United Kingdom
17 February 2012

This movie is worth watching for its unconventional, weird, almost new kind of comedy that can sometimes leave you confused, or cringing, but also laughing at the audacious impossibility of what you're watching. This is hardly realistic, generously exaggerated, and certainly not for everyone to be able to laugh at. But if my descriptions are making sense to you on an emotional or gut-feeling level, if you feel how a movie like that would be like, and you think you can laugh at it, then definitely watch it.

A niche kind of comedy that should make the compatible audience laugh with abandon, and probably keep remembering certain lines and scenes for a long time to come.