IMDb > The Other Guys (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Other Guys

The Other Guys More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 32: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

A boring and unfunny comedy

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
2 March 2011

The Other Guys is the fourth time in which actor Will Ferrell and director Adam McKay work together. They obviously have compatible styles and a similar sense of humor...but the screenplays they work with have always been unfunny so far, and the most recent example is this diffuse satire of the cop films which fails both as a comedy and as an action film due to its repetitive jokes and uncertain tone.

I understand what co-screenwriters McKay and Chris Henchy tried to do in The Other Guys, and I appreciate their intention of trampling the clichés of "the odd couple" and "good cop, bad cop" (among other ones) which infest the action cinema since they were established many years ago in films like Lethal Weapon and Beverly Hills Cop. Unfortunately, The Other Guys ended up having more cons than pros mainly due to its ambiguous focus and poor narrative cohesion, which become it into a collection of confrontations and insults vaguely connected by a weak story. And the worst thing of all is that The Other Guys ends up having various of the fails from the movies it makes a parody of. Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg bring enthusiasm to their characters, but they are so poorly written that they cannot do too much with them.

In conclusion, I cannot recommend The Other Guys, because I found it completely unfunny as a comedy, and tedious as an action film. I personally prefer the film Hot Fuzz and the TV series The Good Guys and Chuck, in which we can find more consistent humor and satire of the cop sub-genus.

Don't waste your time

Author: (kcl-scv) from Seattle
20 January 2011

I am completely at a loss to understand the high marks reviewers here have given this film. I can't recall the last time I've watched a "comedy" without laughing ... not even once.

The plot was weak, the dialog was horrible, the comedy was missing. I was embarrassed for the cast. Will Ferrell was Will Ferrell ... he plays pretty much every character the same way. I'm not a huge fan, but he certainly can be funny. He had nothing to work with here. What possessed Wahlberg to take this part is beyond me, though. He's a capable actor and this was just ... sad.

For the most part, this one's on the writers and whoever OK'd the script.

Don't waste your time on this one.

Seriously now... Is "that" humor?!

Author: Romilos Fronimides from Greece
21 December 2010

I'm not going to write much - because, it's not worth it. Just asking you, people (those they put... 6.7/10 score):

ARE YOU REALLY HAVE ANY IDEA, WHAT... HUMOR MEANS?

Take a wide guess... and check the European cinema! Because I'm telling you, this is one of the most SILLY films I ever... "tortured" myself! I didn't even... smile ONE time - not mention... laugh!

American producers... Stick on... "Rambo-like" films and drop the Comedy - because, it's TRAGEDY to watching such "commedies"!

(And take example from "51th State" or "Snatch" or "Smoking Barrels"... A GOOD, HONEST, simple life's "black humor" - not ridiculous lines, that not even my 4 year old nephew would laugh!)

For Meatheads

Author: doobydoobydood from L.A. beeeetches
25 November 2010

This is by far the worst movie I have ever sat through. Now I generally like Will Ferrell. Oldschool, Elf, Zoolander, Starsky and Hutch, Stepbrothers... these are all funny movies. The Other Guys, on the other hand, is just NOT FUNNY. AT ALL. Is it funny to complain about driving in a Prius?.. wait, and the complaint is that it makes Marky Mark feel like he's riding in a vagina? This is a joke people. A joke I don't get. Personally, as a straight male I find a woman's vagina a pleasant place to spend time, and I also enjoy getting excellent gas mileage. And then there's the running joke about how hot Will Ferrell's wife is. Mark Wahlberg's "macho" character can't understand how Will Ferrell's "sensitive" character could attract such a beautiful woman. Have the writers of this script actually ever had a relationship with a woman? I guess all those people who are afraid of fuel efficient cars and men in touch with their emotions need something to laugh at -even if it's not funny. I actually left the theatre feeling dumber than when I walked in. At least I didn't pay to see this. Ugh.

The Annoying Guys

Author: eneyeseekaywhy from Ireland
19 September 2010

Its difficult to pinpoint exactly when Will Ferrell's career took a Steve Martin-esquire nosedive. It seems to be somewhere between the needless remake of The Producers and the gag free Blades of Glory. In the early naughties he broke free of the 'Saturday Night Live' crew, starred in some feature films and became a genre unto himself (You seen that new Will Ferrell film?). During that time he gave us some quotable, laugh-at-loud performances, such as Ron Burgundy in Anchorman and Frank in Old School. However overkill is easily achieved by funny-men and Ferrell obviously didn't follow Jim Carey's career too closely. Fast forward a couple of years and we are being given diluted versions of the same characters, but this time he has a film out every second month, how could that possibly get annoying? After a string of not appalling, but also not amusing films (Semi-Pro, Land of the Lost) it seemed he had lost it completely. Luckily he's slowed down in recent years and in The Other Guys he has downplayed the wackiness somewhat. But, one more false move and he's Adam Sandler.

Highsmith and Danson (played by Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson) are the two most bad-ass cops in their precinct. They get the criminals, they get the girls, they may not always follow the rules but goddammit they get the job done. Idolising them from a distance are Allen Gamble and Terry Hoitz (played by Ferrel and Mark Wahlberg). Gamble is an accountant at heart and has no interest in police-work which poses any danger. Hoitz is hungry for action but has lost his bottle having shot an unarmed sports personality. When New York Citys finest duo get killed in the line of duty, Hoitz sees this as their opportunity to step up, do some real policing and fill Highsmith and Dansons place. Luckily the first case they take leads them to a multi-billion dollar fraud ring. It looks as though The Other Guys will finally be recognised.

Mark Wahlberg seems slightly confused throughout the whole film as to whether he's the straight man or grabbing for laughs too. He also seems to be genuinely frustrated with Ferrell (you can tell because Marky Mark is not the greatest actor). Whilst they both give us some giggles and the supporting cast know how to deliver a joke, its hard to do a lot with poor scripting. Michael Keaton delivers some of the funniest material in the film but sadly has very little on-screen time. The entire film had roughly ten to twelve jokes rehashed again and again. As we all know, jokes get funnier the second time round, so by the tenth time round it felt as if I was being hit with an hilarity stick and it was almost too much to take.

The Other guys is not a great comedy by any means, it delivers some giggles and for those in need of a Ferrell fix it will sate your appetite somewhat. For others, there's a scene about halfway through with Will Ferrell explaining why an FBI mug with 'Female Body Inspector' on it is funny. Wahlberg interrupts him and screams 'Shut up!'. I think it's an outtake.

Almost Funny Enough to Think its a Comedy

Author: majhiggins from United States
19 September 2010

This takes me back to some of my first experiences seeing Will Ferrel on SNL and thinking "This is SNL, it's got to get funny sooner or later.". I know its bad when I'm watching an alleged comedy and find myself concentrating in the vain hope of that I'll catch something truly funny going on, I know something's wrong. That something is the perennially unfunny Will Ferrel. He just flat out tries too hard to be funny and quirky without any spark of genuine comedic ease. I know he didn't write this but it so smacks of his style. OK, I do hate this guy so this flick had one foot in the grave from the get go. But nothing seemed to redeem this film. An early action scene from a rooftop involving Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L Jackson is pretty funny parody of the standard invincible cop genre and there were a few other minor chuckles but this movie is a dud masquerading as a funny film. Don't waste your time or money!

Wait for the DVD

Author: ckroenung from United States
23 August 2010

Have people lost there minds or do Americans not expect much from movies anymore? This movie had a few funny bits but overall I would say that I waisted two hours of my life watching this drivel. First off how many movies are they going to pay Mark Walberg to make before they realize he cannot act. I get hes cool and in good shape, but he just doesn't have any acting ability. Besides not being able to act he also is not funny at all so most of the movie is left to Ferrell. I like Will Ferrell but every movie I see him in is like a SNL episode, half of it is funny the other half is horribly boring. There were quite a few funny bits that will be used on radio shows but the plot was non existent the character development was very weak and there were lots of bits stolen from other movies. There are several unbelievable car chases and property damage (into the millions) that no cop would get away with. I mean I understand that its a movie and movie goers must suspend belief, but give me a little bit of reality mixed in. Michael Keaton who plays the captain of their squad is woefully misused in this movie and frankly is starting to look like Mickey Rooney. Another problem I have with this and lot of other movies is advertising within the movie. Don't these aholes make enough off of the movie? Why do they have to constantly put store ads like Bed Bath and Beyond in their movies? Also they need to stop showing commercials at the beginning of the movies. I went to a Great Escapes theater and they showed eight minutes of commercials before the movie. I will never go there again. Demand more from your movies America.

An improvement on the Adam McKay/Will Ferrel's other stuff

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
17 October 2010

... and still it was crap. How many times do we have to see Will Ferrel play the same character I don't mean he plays characters with different aspects but some things in common I mean EXACTLY THE SAME. Does every song in this have to be a stupid Hip Hop song? really? anyone answer me that? None of the jokes are funny. Now that I think about it when did I see this before? that cop comedy made 3 years ago? Oh HOT FUZZ a much better movie and I actually laughed in it.

Anyone sick of Will Ferrel? I am I am declaring to never watch his movies because all of his movies are a continuous long-running unfunny film franchise (except Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) that I could call a film franchise because it has the same character in it over and over.

Now to the plot it's about this cop duo that fight crime and blow up anything between them and the criminals either that or ram through it and then they get medals for a drug bust then the cops praise them except Mark Whalberg who wants a little piece of that glory who also has to sit in front of Will Ferrel's character (I feel sorry for THAT guy).

What even made Mark Whalberg and Will Ferrel a cop duo anyway? he could've done this movie with another person to team up with and a less unbearable movie. Back to the plot the cop duo have a few people that are messing things up (as usual) and they sort it out when they get onto a rooftop for god knows what reason they see them escape and WILLINGLY jump 20 stories off a building.

When they die at the funeral people fight SILENTLY over who's going to be the next big shot cop... John McClane maybe? and then the duo that replace them are 2 guys who didn't and still didn't do a damn thing in the movie besides making fun of the characters and they get praised then there's some scaffolding thing with Steve Coogan and Ray Stevenson both of which I've seen in better movies... you know what I'm not going to do this anymore OK I'm done watching these movies and being dragged to see them I've had enough of these movies.

Unfunny and incoherent, but thats from a non-fan of Ferrell

Author: JimD73 from Chatham, Ontario, Canada
6 October 2010

I should admit something immediately: I'm not a big Will Ferrell fan. Sure, he was really funny on SNL and for some reason I loved Talladega Nights, but Anchorman and Step Brothers were both very mediocre in my eyes. As such, fans can simply ignore everything I say from here on in, because while they will certainly enjoy it, The Other Guys was a huge disappointment in my eyes.

The film would have worked great if it had ended twenty minutes in, for the first act was indeed hilarious. Featuring Samuel L Jackson and Dwayne Johnson (who really needs to do a real action movie soon) as hotshot cops with Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell stuck at their desks, laughs come quite fast at the start. Conversations about land tuna do well to contrast the ludicrous action sequences.

However, once Wahlberg and Ferrell hit the streets, the movie loses all momentum. Various one-note jokes are stretched far too thin, such as Ferrell being irresistible to women or Wahlberg being blamed for shooting Derek Jeter, and most of the other laughs are in the trailer. A revelation about Ferrell's past is random enough to get some laughs, but is quickly overused.

The actors do little to lift the material. Jackson and Johnson are great, but limited in screen time. Rob Riggle and Damon Wayans Jr also manage to get the lions share of the second half's laughs despite their small roles. Ferrell's role is too inconsistent, playing up the Ferrell-esquire idiot role to be believable as the functioning member of society the rest of the film expects him to be. Wahlberg starts out as a great straight man, but as he joins the lunacy any barometer of sanity is lost. Michael Keaton never sinks low, but the TLC-oriented jokes around his character grow weak.

I really can't say much more than that I didn't find The Other Guys that funny. It was a mostly laughless experience with a good opening, loose plot and ludicrous ending, but fans of Ferrell-McKay movies will likely enjoy it. I just can't claim to be part of that group.

Wahlberg impresses

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
22 September 2010

Supercops Samuel L Jackson and Dwayne Johnson start this movie off with an outrageous sequence typical of bombastic action thrillers. Events soon conspire to throw the improbable partnership of deskbound accountant cop Will Ferrell and disgraced would-be action cop Mark Wahlberg into the limelight, however, as they pursue an unlikely investigation in the fact of mishaps and pressure to drop it.

This film generated a lot of laughter throughout its length. I'm not a big Ferrell fan, but his character was amiable and often funny. Bigger laughs came from Wahlberg, however, who showed considerable comic chops deadpanning to Ferrell's broader character. And Eva Mendes as Ferrell's wife was both funny and sexy. Jackson and Johnson clearly enjoyed sending themselves up. Michael Keaton did the best he could with a part which was not written helpfully, and poor old Steve Coogan was swimming against the tide a bit.

But overall this was an enjoyable movie.