IMDb > The Other Guys (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Other Guys

The Other Guys More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 32: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

Will Ferrell finally has a lead role where he's good. Unfortunately the direction works against him.

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
28 August 2010

When the super cops of the force meet with tragedy, the other guys, two cops forced into desk jobs, must step up and fill their shoes.

One of the best Will Ferrell movies has some real genuine laughs that are undercut by a director who needs to have his head examined. Forgive displeasure but here's a film with a good script, a great cast and its put together in such away that when ever Ferrell is on screen it stops moving as if waiting for him to do something funny. Ferrell, who I don't like normally, has a character here but he's continuously undercut by a director who stops everything with pregnant pauses that don't belong.

What the hell was he thinking? While I'm very happy to have seen a Will Ferrell character I like I hate that its in a movie that is just okay and not great.

Not bad, but not great either

Author: Arok5 from Boston, Massachusetts
19 August 2010

If you are like me, you saw the trailers and you went/want to see this movie (or may be planning to go see it soon) and your expectations were/are set very high seeing as it has one of the top comedy stars, Will Ferrell, teamed up with Hollywood bad boy Mark Wahlberg, both who are accompanied by a pretty good supporting cast (Samuel L Jackson, The Rock, Michael Keaton, etc, etc). However, when you see it, at parts, wonder "is this movie ever going to be over". It's not that it's painfully boring throughout, but it has it's painfully boring and very not funny parts. With that said, it also has it's extremely funny parts. When Mark is driving around in Will's red Prius and say's it seems like they are driving around in a giant va*ina, I almost died laughing. But I will say, most of the super funny parts were shown in the commercials and trailers, which is why this movie proved to be somewhat disappointing to me. I went into the movies expecting to see another Will Ferrell gem, seeing as he was teamed up with Wahlberg who seemed, from the trailers, to be extremely funny in this movie considering he kept his well known "bad boy" facade on while still being funny. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a very un funny movie. But at the same time, it didn't come close to living up to expectations and what the trailers made it out to seem like. Definitely one you should consider catch On Demand or on TV when it comes out. But not really one you need to drop 10 dollars on seeing in the movies. And definitely to not waste the 30 on the Blu Ray when it comes out.

NOT funny.

Author: iloveneptune
12 July 2011

Thought this film would be 'hilarious' as it's presented to be. I didn't find one part of it funny. Will Ferrell always does rubbish films and this is another one to add to the list. Mark Wahlberg shouts for pretty much all of the film..this led me to turning the TV down but I could still hear him shouting which was stupid. Hated it. Plus none of the film even goes anywhere! One part was very rude at one point and I felt very uncomfortable watching it and no mother or father would want their small child hearing that sort of language for a film rated PG-13. Im 3 years older than that and even I didn't want to hear it.. Very unimpressed with it and glad it was only on a DVD rental and I didn't waste my money buying the rubishness and wasting money on it in the cinema. I would NEVER watch this film again and I do not recommend it on any account - even if it's the last film available in the shop...

Very Lame & Unbearable

Author: Jakealope from Albany, NY
26 February 2011

Not that I was a big fan of Step Brothers, but that was a way better movie than this schlock fest. In SB, Ferrell had John C Riley to work with as well as a "family" of good actors to play straight people against those two overgrown boys. It was an inherently absurd comedic premise to begin that this one lacked.

This one used the detective "buddy" movie plot, which was over worked about 20 years ago. Then add Marky Mark as Ferrel's partner, one of the most wooden and over-rated actors today, and it just plain sucked. It had the same sort of junior high wimp and fag bashing humor that was barely tolerable in Step but less so here. For instance, Marky Mark's character learned ballet when younger just so he could torment a ballet dancer fellow youth. Funny?, maybe! It also shared the same writers and some supporting actors as that one too. Even the opening scene, a total bs chase scene and shootout between the soon to be dead super cops and some stock rapper bad guys was just the same sort of over the top crappola that is the norm for about half the action movies these days.

Also, the plot was well nigh non existent. Basically it was Ferrell playing this really nerdy cop, but with some sort of sex appeal with Eva Mendez as his wife and a past that included being a collegiate pimp. Marky plays some really angry low life kick ass sort of cop, who openly abuses and despises his unwanted nerdy partner. A bunch of jokes revolve around Ferrell's Prius and street people using it for orgies, really crude.

Why this movie did better than Step Brothers is beyond me since Step Brothers had a simple 3 Stooges type of setup while this was just bad parody. The same super reviewers who panned that one seemed to praise this one, why?

Weak comedy action flick

Author: Daniel Ispas from Romania
2 February 2011

Comedy movies are the least important movies for me, I hate comedy movies. But, lately I tried some comedies that were on my movies-to-see list. One of them was The Other Guys.

I have to say, it Sucked! And I really lie Will Ferell and Mark Wahlberg. I Loved Will Ferell's Elf movie for example. But this movie has only 4-5 jokes that are good, and they were all displayed multiple times in the trailers! The movies too long, it's not funny, it repeats the jokes, the plot is weak, the slow motion action climax scene with Mark Wahlberg was laughable and stupid. Eva Mendes is annoying as hell in this movie. The Wahlberg romance story has a no-sense ending.

The best parts of this movie were the scenes with The Rock and Samuel L. Jackson, I love these guys. The movie should have been about them or some rivalry between them and Ferell & Wahlberg.

The biggest mystery for me while watching this movie was who is the narrator. I knew I recognize that voice, and it's ICE-T! Oh, and Michael Keaton .. wow he got so older.

A complete waste of time

Author: Hojalataes from Québec, Canada
6 December 2010

IMDb 6.8/10 ROTTEN TOMATOES 6.7/10 METACRITIC 6.4/10 ALLMOVIE 3/5

This is one of the worst comedies I've ever seen. Is this supposed to be funny? I think I've smiled twice all the movie long.

Poor performances, non-existing plot, really bad jokes repeated several times all over the film. The movie is full of clichés and it lacks originality and imagination. I've checked my watch several times during the movie. I was so bored. What can be worst than a comedy that is not funny...at all?

Surprisingly­, the movie has been highly rated, so maybe it's just me who didn't get the jokes.

I paid to see this crap!!

Author: s mcg from United Kingdom
25 November 2010

Went to watch this with my wife who is usually less critical of movies than I am. You could spot the supposedly funny lines coming from about a mile away.

I should have listened to my inner voice which said that Farrell is so overrated.Take an uptight guy, throw in a loose canon partner with the obligatory out of his league wife, mix it up and presto instant comedy.Been done TOO many times now.

He is a one trick pony who appears to make up his dialogue as he goes along and don't get me started on Wallberg, he is so wooden I thought someone threw a chair into his scenes.

If you enjoy childish humour, then this is movie for you.

As for me and wife, we spared ourselves anymore of this drivel and walked out 30 minutes in.

6.9/10 - you have got to be joking

Author: ulricjoh from Australia
27 October 2010

I saw this movie in two sittings - the first time, I got 15 minutes in and thought it can't get worse - I was assured by people who have seen it that this movie is great, so I made a second attempt at watching.

It did get worse.

1) the dialogue was not funny. it was quite simply stupid and at times unnecessary.

2) the action scenes were unrealistic (yes I know it's Hollywood and, that this was meant to be a comedy) and, once again, stupidly choreographed.

3) there were *constant* unabashed plugs for products and Hollywood productions (ie. how many times was the word "Prius" bandied around; and why mention a particular hair oil - by brand name, that someone used ?) 4) had this movie been done as an action movie and cut out the rubbish lines, it may have actually worked a lot better than it did.

Do yourself a real favour and watch a movie that really is funny and, worth investing either your time or your money.

I have to genuinely query how something like this can get such a high rating when it really is so atrocious.

It was painful!!!

Author: yellow00574 from United Kingdom
3 September 2010

What was that,Will Ferrel supposed to be funny!!!! Well,I was lucky to download the movie,so I didn't have to go to the cinema.The beginning was quite OK,but after I was thinking a few times to stop and watch something else,but because of the great cast...... I tough it has to be something........Well I was wrong,it was one of the movies when you want see the end, when the cast is rolling,just fished now,please I wanna see the end....... and forget it!!!Maybe it is funny for the American public because they so dump.........So don't even think about to go and see ind the Cinema. Trust me.....................................!

It made me feel sick.

Author: Raghavibaggy-Drawers from Islamabad
24 August 2010

If a motion picture "comedy" about a halfwit whose flatulence only matches his immense weight sounds appealing to you, then by all means you will adore "The Other Guys." Yes, "The Other Guys" is about an man whose buddy has constant flatulence. The all-star sounded promising to me and that's the only reason I saw this in the first place -- Jalil Jay Lynch and Dwayne Johnson even have small roles in the film! -- but unfortunately their talents are pushed aside for corny, crude fart jokes.

"The Other Guys" makes "Austin Powers'" fart jokes look sophisticated. This movie beats the dead horse over and over - there are only so many times we can (attempt to) laugh because, hey, that Ferrell leaves gas a lot! " Oh my, that's so funny! It's genius! Farts are hilarious!" I want to know who greenlit this project so I can carry a copy of "The Other Guys" to his or her house, strap them to a chair and force them to watch it 100 consecutive times, and see how much they enjoy the "humor" after that.

An odd rarity in the children's film department, "The Other Guys" is clearly targeted towards the adults, but its content is quite childish in nature. People swear throughout the movie (our lead character uses profanity to describe portions of his anatomy) and the subject matter in general is lewd and crude and I had to wonder what sort of parent would even allow their child to view something like this in the first place.

It's a demeaning film with no laughs and a sick, twisted sense of humor that is both inappropriate for children and way too stupid for adults. One of the worst films in recent memory.