IMDb > The Other Guys (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Other Guys

The Other Guys More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 30: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

I paid to see this crap!!

Author: s mcg from United Kingdom
25 November 2010

Went to watch this with my wife who is usually less critical of movies than I am. You could spot the supposedly funny lines coming from about a mile away.

I should have listened to my inner voice which said that Farrell is so overrated.Take an uptight guy, throw in a loose canon partner with the obligatory out of his league wife, mix it up and presto instant comedy.Been done TOO many times now.

He is a one trick pony who appears to make up his dialogue as he goes along and don't get me started on Wallberg, he is so wooden I thought someone threw a chair into his scenes.

If you enjoy childish humour, then this is movie for you.

As for me and wife, we spared ourselves anymore of this drivel and walked out 30 minutes in.

6.9/10 - you have got to be joking

Author: ulricjoh from Australia
27 October 2010

I saw this movie in two sittings - the first time, I got 15 minutes in and thought it can't get worse - I was assured by people who have seen it that this movie is great, so I made a second attempt at watching.

It did get worse.

1) the dialogue was not funny. it was quite simply stupid and at times unnecessary.

2) the action scenes were unrealistic (yes I know it's Hollywood and, that this was meant to be a comedy) and, once again, stupidly choreographed.

3) there were *constant* unabashed plugs for products and Hollywood productions (ie. how many times was the word "Prius" bandied around; and why mention a particular hair oil - by brand name, that someone used ?) 4) had this movie been done as an action movie and cut out the rubbish lines, it may have actually worked a lot better than it did.

Do yourself a real favour and watch a movie that really is funny and, worth investing either your time or your money.

I have to genuinely query how something like this can get such a high rating when it really is so atrocious.

It was painful!!!

Author: yellow00574 from United Kingdom
3 September 2010

What was that,Will Ferrel supposed to be funny!!!! Well,I was lucky to download the movie,so I didn't have to go to the cinema.The beginning was quite OK,but after I was thinking a few times to stop and watch something else,but because of the great cast...... I tough it has to be something........Well I was wrong,it was one of the movies when you want see the end, when the cast is rolling,just fished now,please I wanna see the end....... and forget it!!!Maybe it is funny for the American public because they so dump.........So don't even think about to go and see ind the Cinema. Trust me.....................................!

It made me feel sick.

Author: Raghavibaggy-Drawers from Islamabad
24 August 2010

If a motion picture "comedy" about a halfwit whose flatulence only matches his immense weight sounds appealing to you, then by all means you will adore "The Other Guys." Yes, "The Other Guys" is about an man whose buddy has constant flatulence. The all-star sounded promising to me and that's the only reason I saw this in the first place -- Jalil Jay Lynch and Dwayne Johnson even have small roles in the film! -- but unfortunately their talents are pushed aside for corny, crude fart jokes.

"The Other Guys" makes "Austin Powers'" fart jokes look sophisticated. This movie beats the dead horse over and over - there are only so many times we can (attempt to) laugh because, hey, that Ferrell leaves gas a lot! " Oh my, that's so funny! It's genius! Farts are hilarious!" I want to know who greenlit this project so I can carry a copy of "The Other Guys" to his or her house, strap them to a chair and force them to watch it 100 consecutive times, and see how much they enjoy the "humor" after that.

An odd rarity in the children's film department, "The Other Guys" is clearly targeted towards the adults, but its content is quite childish in nature. People swear throughout the movie (our lead character uses profanity to describe portions of his anatomy) and the subject matter in general is lewd and crude and I had to wonder what sort of parent would even allow their child to view something like this in the first place.

It's a demeaning film with no laughs and a sick, twisted sense of humor that is both inappropriate for children and way too stupid for adults. One of the worst films in recent memory.

It wants to be Of Mice and Men, but it is strictly Mickey Mouse

Author: SkovPudhandle from Danevirke
22 August 2010

This abysmal Wahlberg/Ferrell vehicle is a poorly thought-out attempt at drama which will not sit well with most fans of Ferrell's usually high-octane mix of action and comedy. The plot concerns a mentally challenged "gentle giant"(Ferrell) and his able-minded/bodied brother(Wahlberg)who must sacrifice his freedom to care for his reliant sibling. What attempts to be a drama is marred by Ferrell's ridiculous portrayal of a mentally challenged adult as being nothing more than a gigantic baby, complete with overalls and a giant swirly lollipop. The movie attempts to generate sympathy for Ferrell's character while simultaneously deriving all of its humor from his various bathroom misadventures, a mix that left this viewer cold. The final version is edited so poorly that all attempts at drama seem to come from training at the Shatner school of acting. The movie limps along for over an hour before there is a significant plot developed involving gangsters, stolen jewels, and the eventual kidnapping of Ferrell. Then begins the movie Wahlberg fans have come to expect, with fantastic stunts, fights and chase sequences. In this movie it is a case of too MUCH, to late. The over the top hamming Ferrell is famous for seems here to be ridiculously out-of-place in contrast to the slow moving, "tear-jerker" attitude of the preceding two-thirds of the film. Add to this mish-mash an annoyingly repetitive musical score and not one, but TWO separate scenes of Ferrell's naked buttocks, and you have the makings of the "must NOT see" film of the year.

A boring and unfunny comedy

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
2 March 2011

The Other Guys is the fourth time in which actor Will Ferrell and director Adam McKay work together. They obviously have compatible styles and a similar sense of humor...but the screenplays they work with have always been unfunny so far, and the most recent example is this diffuse satire of the cop films which fails both as a comedy and as an action film due to its repetitive jokes and uncertain tone.

I understand what co-screenwriters McKay and Chris Henchy tried to do in The Other Guys, and I appreciate their intention of trampling the clichés of "the odd couple" and "good cop, bad cop" (among other ones) which infest the action cinema since they were established many years ago in films like Lethal Weapon and Beverly Hills Cop. Unfortunately, The Other Guys ended up having more cons than pros mainly due to its ambiguous focus and poor narrative cohesion, which become it into a collection of confrontations and insults vaguely connected by a weak story. And the worst thing of all is that The Other Guys ends up having various of the fails from the movies it makes a parody of. Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg bring enthusiasm to their characters, but they are so poorly written that they cannot do too much with them.

In conclusion, I cannot recommend The Other Guys, because I found it completely unfunny as a comedy, and tedious as an action film. I personally prefer the film Hot Fuzz and the TV series The Good Guys and Chuck, in which we can find more consistent humor and satire of the cop sub-genus.

Don't waste your time

Author: (kcl-scv) from Seattle
20 January 2011

I am completely at a loss to understand the high marks reviewers here have given this film. I can't recall the last time I've watched a "comedy" without laughing ... not even once.

The plot was weak, the dialog was horrible, the comedy was missing. I was embarrassed for the cast. Will Ferrell was Will Ferrell ... he plays pretty much every character the same way. I'm not a huge fan, but he certainly can be funny. He had nothing to work with here. What possessed Wahlberg to take this part is beyond me, though. He's a capable actor and this was just ... sad.

For the most part, this one's on the writers and whoever OK'd the script.

Don't waste your time on this one.

Seriously now... Is "that" humor?!

Author: Romilos Fronimides from Greece
21 December 2010

I'm not going to write much - because, it's not worth it. Just asking you, people (those they put... 6.7/10 score):

ARE YOU REALLY HAVE ANY IDEA, WHAT... HUMOR MEANS?

Take a wide guess... and check the European cinema! Because I'm telling you, this is one of the most SILLY films I ever... "tortured" myself! I didn't even... smile ONE time - not mention... laugh!

American producers... Stick on... "Rambo-like" films and drop the Comedy - because, it's TRAGEDY to watching such "commedies"!

(And take example from "51th State" or "Snatch" or "Smoking Barrels"... A GOOD, HONEST, simple life's "black humor" - not ridiculous lines, that not even my 4 year old nephew would laugh!)

For Meatheads

Author: doobydoobydood from L.A. beeeetches
25 November 2010

This is by far the worst movie I have ever sat through. Now I generally like Will Ferrell. Oldschool, Elf, Zoolander, Starsky and Hutch, Stepbrothers... these are all funny movies. The Other Guys, on the other hand, is just NOT FUNNY. AT ALL. Is it funny to complain about driving in a Prius?.. wait, and the complaint is that it makes Marky Mark feel like he's riding in a vagina? This is a joke people. A joke I don't get. Personally, as a straight male I find a woman's vagina a pleasant place to spend time, and I also enjoy getting excellent gas mileage. And then there's the running joke about how hot Will Ferrell's wife is. Mark Wahlberg's "macho" character can't understand how Will Ferrell's "sensitive" character could attract such a beautiful woman. Have the writers of this script actually ever had a relationship with a woman? I guess all those people who are afraid of fuel efficient cars and men in touch with their emotions need something to laugh at -even if it's not funny. I actually left the theatre feeling dumber than when I walked in. At least I didn't pay to see this. Ugh.

The Annoying Guys

Author: eneyeseekaywhy from Ireland
19 September 2010

Its difficult to pinpoint exactly when Will Ferrell's career took a Steve Martin-esquire nosedive. It seems to be somewhere between the needless remake of The Producers and the gag free Blades of Glory. In the early naughties he broke free of the 'Saturday Night Live' crew, starred in some feature films and became a genre unto himself (You seen that new Will Ferrell film?). During that time he gave us some quotable, laugh-at-loud performances, such as Ron Burgundy in Anchorman and Frank in Old School. However overkill is easily achieved by funny-men and Ferrell obviously didn't follow Jim Carey's career too closely. Fast forward a couple of years and we are being given diluted versions of the same characters, but this time he has a film out every second month, how could that possibly get annoying? After a string of not appalling, but also not amusing films (Semi-Pro, Land of the Lost) it seemed he had lost it completely. Luckily he's slowed down in recent years and in The Other Guys he has downplayed the wackiness somewhat. But, one more false move and he's Adam Sandler.

Highsmith and Danson (played by Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson) are the two most bad-ass cops in their precinct. They get the criminals, they get the girls, they may not always follow the rules but goddammit they get the job done. Idolising them from a distance are Allen Gamble and Terry Hoitz (played by Ferrel and Mark Wahlberg). Gamble is an accountant at heart and has no interest in police-work which poses any danger. Hoitz is hungry for action but has lost his bottle having shot an unarmed sports personality. When New York Citys finest duo get killed in the line of duty, Hoitz sees this as their opportunity to step up, do some real policing and fill Highsmith and Dansons place. Luckily the first case they take leads them to a multi-billion dollar fraud ring. It looks as though The Other Guys will finally be recognised.

Mark Wahlberg seems slightly confused throughout the whole film as to whether he's the straight man or grabbing for laughs too. He also seems to be genuinely frustrated with Ferrell (you can tell because Marky Mark is not the greatest actor). Whilst they both give us some giggles and the supporting cast know how to deliver a joke, its hard to do a lot with poor scripting. Michael Keaton delivers some of the funniest material in the film but sadly has very little on-screen time. The entire film had roughly ten to twelve jokes rehashed again and again. As we all know, jokes get funnier the second time round, so by the tenth time round it felt as if I was being hit with an hilarity stick and it was almost too much to take.

The Other guys is not a great comedy by any means, it delivers some giggles and for those in need of a Ferrell fix it will sate your appetite somewhat. For others, there's a scene about halfway through with Will Ferrell explaining why an FBI mug with 'Female Body Inspector' on it is funny. Wahlberg interrupts him and screams 'Shut up!'. I think it's an outtake.