IMDb > The Other Guys (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Other Guys More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 32: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

The Vidiot Reviews...

Author: capone666 from Canada
17 December 2010

The Other Guys

There are two kinds of cops. Those that protect taxpayers from bad guys. And those that put on their siren just so they can go through a red light.

Fortunately, the flatfoots in this action-comedy are the former. Unfortunately, they've never had the chance to prove it.

Living in the shadow of the forces' top cops (Dwayne Johnson, Samuel L. Jackson), the paper pushing detective Gamble (Will Ferrell) and his halfcocked partner Det. Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) finally get their chance.

But while Hoitz is hell-bent on cracking skulls, Gamble is more interested in cracking down on building infractions, which, auspiciously, leads to a multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme involving the police retirement fund.

With an equal balance of firearms and funny lines, this fourth collaboration between director Adam McKay and Will Ferrell ranks among their best.

However, to truly be top cop, one must first survive a round of taser tag. (Green Light)

The Other Guys, WIll Ferrel is back.

Author: Thawk567 from United States
5 December 2010

I was sure that Inception was going to go for 4 weeks in a row on top but The other Guys topped them with 35 million.

Holy crap this movie was awesome. I did not expect anything to come from this film because of the fact that Will Ferell had lost his touch in film for a while. With his streak of terrible movies I thought the streak would continue. This movie was more funny than Dinner for Schmucks, Step Brothers, but not as funny as the Hangover or Hot Tub Time Machine.

I was particularly happy for two reasons one, my favorite wrestler of all time is Dwayne Johnson, and that they used the song "My Hero" by the Foo Fighters, those were just two little kicks for me.

Not going to spoil the movie but basically Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) and Alan Gamble (Will Ferell) are detectives who hate each other, but through out the film they learn to co-exist. This is like any typical cop comedy, but this one packs in all the punches and jokes. Anyways 7 out of 10 stars on my part.

Funny but not enough

Author: kaimenkf from Argentina
24 November 2010

Well...first of all, let me say that I love Will Ferrell. I can't forget Blades of Glory which to me is one of his best. About this film...lets say it is not bad at all. It is funny, entertaining, plenty of action, has a great cast, a terrific acting...but if you think a little , and remember "Hot Fuzz" or "Letal Weapon" you obtain the right perspective about this film. The other guys is funny. there are lots of funny moments. Anyway, it could have been a tremendous comedy and it is not. Anyway, I liked it. As I said I love Will and this is one of the best ones in years. It is a pity that it doesn't get the excellence it could have.

Promised more than it delivered

Author: dazworthy from Australia
2 November 2010

Director Adam McKay again teams up with Will Ferrell in this action comedy about two New York detectives Allen Gamble (Ferrell) and his partner Terry Hoitz (played by Mark Wahlberg). The pair are the joke of the precinct given Gamble is a forensic accountant with an aversion for action, and Hoitz is the butt of jokes having been involved in an infamous shooting incident. They live in the shadow of the precinct's two hero hot-shot cops, hilariously over-played by Samuel L Jackson and Dwayne Johnson, but Hoitz wants he and his annoying partner to step-up instead of just being the "other guys". Fans of Will Ferrell will probably like his performance. His awkward, irrational brand of humor is here. He has some great dialog where he goes off onto his trademark long-winded tangents in the middle of conversations. But I think Mark Wahlberg steals the show. He is a surprisingly good comic actor and his irrationally angry and resentful character actually provides some of the movies funnier moments. The supporting cast includes Eva Mendez as Gamble's under-appreciated wife, and Michael Keaton as the Captain. I have to say I was really looking forward to this movie but I was a little disappointed. The jokes in The Other Guys are a little hit and miss. Some of the humor is almost weird at times, so it will definitely not suit all tastes, and unfortunately most of the best bits are in the trailer. With the actions scenes and a great cast thrown in it provides enough entertainment to keep you interested, but you could probably wait until it comes out on DVD.

Time-Pass...

Author: nama chakravorty from India
23 October 2010

Adam McKay's 'The Other Guys' is a Time-Pass, harmless film, with some really moments and super performances working for it. A decent success at the box office and some positive reviews made up for it's makers.

'The Other Guys' is about 2-under-rated cops, who take charge after their legendary seniors die. The film works because of the chemistry between it's lead cast. Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg's on-screen chemistry is indeed brilliant. Ferrell rips it up as a comical, dumb but efficient cop, while Wahlberg shines as the no-non-sense cop.

Among other performances, Michael Keaton delivers a superb performance as the Captain. Eva Mendes as Ferrell's sultry wife does very well. Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L. Jackson are alright in cameos, while Steve Coogan seems to be in decent form.

Adam McKay's direction relies on it's lead cast, who have truly helped him out, in this one-time watch. I suggest, you check this one out, as it offers entertainment.

I guess just THE Guys were too dumb for the job... Damn right!

Author: Julian Left (julian.left@gmail.com)
22 October 2010

So you got THE Guys who without sense jump from a god damn roof aiming for the bushes and you got the OTHER Guys who are similar in actions to the dumbest cops in the world (but if the other guys are the dumbest cops in the world well what makes THE guys be?). Sounds fun? Maybe, maybe not... But here's the deal: one of them, career wise, is a complete failure wanna-be and the other guy is a sore loser which gets laid every night thanks to the most gorgeous woman on the planet I may add. Sounds hilarious enough? Oh wait! Not at all... the story of these two "dudes" characters it's the same as each story about two other wanna-be detectives who are trying to become the best cops: they do stupid things, they fail in almost each move they make but still, at the end, they get the girl and the fame... now ain't that sweet? Honestly, this movie is full of clichés but it had, I must admit, some real funny moments... At least it was to a certain point entertaining...

The casting was so and so. You have Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" and Samuel L Jackson thrown in the movie just to sell some tickets but in fact you only get one of the "not-so-good" (let's not call it "the worst") actors of the moment, Mark Wahlberg and you got a classic comedian, Will Ferrel, which was the only good male choice. He acted so well as a nerdie loser type of cop I almost enjoyed pretty much each scene with him. The best female part goes easily to Eva Mendes, not only that she looked hot but she is a better actress than most of these "Hollywood Models".

The film was shot pretty good, you got a stop-motion scene which was really cool till I realize you have Black Eyed Peas as soundtrack... Then again, the soundtrack was in the same tone with the movie... Hilarious... Overall, the movie is watchable, enjoyable, fun, ridiculous at points... It's entertaining if you look for a movie that does exactly that... I mean as a comedy it makes you deliver some laughs but otherwise it's just average...

The movie is like a peacock, you gotta let it fly to like it!

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
8 June 2014

Honestly, don't take this movie too serious, as you'll find yourself, not enjoying it. It's one of the those good popcorn fun, films. The Other Guys is one of the funniest buddy cop movies, I ever saw. Directed by Adam McKay, this action comedy really did work, because it lampoons and satire the Buddy Cop clichés to pieces. The Other Guys focus on two New York City police detectives Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) and Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) whom been office pencil pushers for years. When the station's two tops cops P.K Highsmith (Samuel L. Jackson) & Chris Danson (Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson), catastrophic met their end. The two are forced to step up and go after a giant corporate embezzlement case. I have to say, this is one of Will Ferrell's best roles. He wasn't annoying, or over the top. I think, when he's playing the character, with the deadpan straight-laced delivery. It's the best. Yes, he was bit abusive to his wife, (Eva Mendes), but it was play off as laughs. It was too disturbing, not to chuckle. I love how cool and collected, he was for the most part. I love the running gag about him, holding a wooden gun, and his misadventures with 'Dirty Mike and the boys'. Mark Walberg's character is bit bitter & whinny, but the character development, however, does help make him, likable by the end of the movie. Plus, most of his whinny complains were pretty funny. I love his lion eating tuna and peacock needing to fly, speech. Dwayne the Rock Johnson and Samuel L. Jackson's roles, while short was pretty damn entertaining. Steve Coogan is just as funny as the main cast as the supporting character, corrupt multi-billionaire David Ershon. He's so disarming and charming that he's hard not to like. I even like Bed, Baths and Beyond, Captain Mauch (Michael Keaton) who plays a mellow out Police Chief. I love Eva Mendes as Gamble's wife. She is stunning and beautiful. Wish, they had more of her in the film. I can do without Rob Riggie as Martin and Damon Wayans Jr as Fosse. They really don't bring anything to the table. The movie was less funny, when they were around. The movie has a lot of dumb jokes that was mostly a hit for me. Still, the movie was able to be smart enough to be taken serious. The whole Ponzi scheme plot was pretty interested. I like how the end credits are accompanied by with a series of visual displays of the magnitudes, methods, and principal actors of various licit and illicit financial doings of the financial crisis, such as the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme, Goldman Sachs, AIG or the Troubled Asset Relief Program. A lot of good information, that people need to know. There is an outtake between Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg at the restaurant plays after the end credits. Without spoiling it, the ending of the unrated version is just over the top though. The unrated version is just not as funny as the normal movie. Some of the movie was brilliant shot. I love the jump to the bushes scenes, and all the bullet time. Most of all, I love the drinking montage. What an unusual version. Instead, of than a time-compression montage, there's a fake continuous shot in which the camera weaves through the slow-mo antics going on over the course of the evening at the bar. It was pretty damn impressed. The action scenes were pretty cool to watch. I love all the shootouts and car chases. It was funny, when the store explore, and how the characters react to it. I didn't mind all the product placements in the film. After all, this movie did introduced me to the musical, 'Jersey Boys' which was awesome. Great use of establish songs, ranging from Foo Fighters 'My Hero" to Black Eyes Peas 'Imma Be'. I also love the TLC references as a running gag. My favorite is Rage against the Machine in the end credits. I like all the celebs cameos in the film, ranging from Derek Jeter to Brooke Shields. Overall: This peacock sure can fly. It really was a good time film.You've seen the good guys and the bad guys, now go see 'The Other Guys'

One big leftist rant disguised as "comedy"

Author: Movielover Truth from United States
29 December 2013

I was looking forward to watching this movie given the list of actors. Boy, was I disappointed.

Yeah, there were a few laughs throughout, but, most were cookie-cutter humor, and a slam at the very system that makes Hollywood and the actors in the movie rich.

Bush. Really? Chief Justice Scalia. Really?

Capitalism. Really?

What a shame Wahlberg was a part of this, as I really have loved watching him over the years.

Hollywood continues to push a far left propaganda while raking in capitalist money. Disguising this as "comedy." Hypocrisy. And, people keep buying into it.

And, like others have mentioned, the movie was disjointed by "fixing" all of the conflict quickly at the end (Keaton). Keaton is adamant about not helping throughout the entire movie, then, all of a sudden, he's all in?!

The scene where Jackson and Johnson jumped to their death was ludicrous and never resolved (not that it mattered - the entire movie was like this).

"The Other Guys" refers to, of course

Author: rishabh-kushawah007 from India
7 November 2013

"The Other Guys" refers to, of course, the detectives who rarely get a piece of the archetypal cops-and-robbers shenanigans that are frequently seen in action movies or on "Law & Order". They remain mainly at their desks doing paperwork, something almost never seen in movies. Ferrell is Allen Gamble, who is somewhat content with managing case work on his computer, and Wahlberg is the far more forceful and ambitious Terry Hoitz.

Their characters are in sharp contrast to the cops that Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson portray in this film (and definitely in other films). Although Jackson and Johnson were also funny here, I hate that the previews gave away their cameos in this movie. It would have been more exciting if the audience didn't expect them when they stepped into the theaters. Then again, that is the fault of whomever marketed this film, not the filmmakers themselves.

When Allen and Terry start working on a case they have a lead in, one they get to before other senior detectives do, a really interesting detective story progresses that would not feel out of place in dramas like "The French Connection" (1971) or similar action/detective movies to that nature.

Author: Sarah Heitzman
24 September 2013

After Highsmith and Danson--New York City's hottest and best detectives--fall to their deaths during a rooftop chase, two positions open up to be the top cop. From surviving car chases to escaping exploding buildings and shootings, Allen Gamble and Terry Hoitz stick together as partners and attempt to become the city's new heroes. "The Other Guys" is a hilarious movie thanks to the acting skills of Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg, the cinematography of Oliver Wood, and the wonderful direction by Adam McKay.

Will Ferrell is one of the best comic actors of all time. In this movie, Will Ferrell's character, Allen, is known as the desk jockey; he enjoys doing each case's paperwork. The 2011 AFI Movie of the Year winner, Mark Wahlberg, plays Terry, Allen's partner. He knows what it's like to be the hot shot and wishes to move up the ladder of detectives to that point again. Wahlberg does a fantastic job with expressing Terry's deliberate, yet hysterical efforts to become a great cop. After getting a dispatch that there's a robbery at a jewelry store, Terry wants to go to the scene, but his partner doesn't want to leave. Before stomping out of the room, Terry exclaims, "You've gotta be shitting me, you can't keep me cooped up in here. I am a peacock, you gotta let me fly!" Will Ferrell's experience with awkwardness makes Allen's situations on the field absolutely hilarious. While racing to a crime scene to get there before two other detectives, Terry yells, "Allen punch that accelerator or I will shoot you in the foot!" Allen does so and screams, "AMERICA!" Later, he explains that before he's never actually put his foot all the way down to the ground with the accelerator, but he feels slightly aroused. Not only that, but he runs over the crime scene. The contrast between one partner wanting to say in the office and the other wanting experience on the field creates the funniest bickers and arguments between two grown men.

The cinematographer, Oliver Wood, does a phenomenal job at catching each scene at the right angle. A few of the films he has worked for are a few of the Bourne movies, Step Brothers, Freaky Friday, and the upcoming Anchorman 2. Within the first scene of the movie, you are pulled into the action of a car chase in downtown New York City. You get a view from on top of the cars, within, in the sky, and out on the sidewalks. The variety of focus in each scene keeps your eyes interested in what's happening on the screen.

Adam McKay is the director of this film. He has had experience within the comedy genre, for he also directed Anchorman, Step Brothers, and Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. Typically in comedies, people want humor that is created by exaggerating real life experiences, as well as a happy ending. With "The Other Guys", that is exactly what McKay gives the audience. He takes the life of an average New York City cop and makes fun with it by adding exaggerated competition between detectives, cases that intertwine and connect to others, and separate histories of Allen and Terry's lives, which helps us understand why they act out of the ordinary.

"The Other Guys" is an action-comedy film that was created to excite and entertain. There is no doubt that this movie will get you to laugh and leave wanting to look up quotes With the combination of humor and conflict, this movie is the exciting story of Terry Hoitz and Allen Gamble taking on New York City's scams, drugs, sex crimes, and violence.