The Other Guys (2010) Poster

320 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
"The Other Guys" Soars, & Will Ferrell Is Finally Funny Again
D_Burke4 August 2010
Adam McKay is not a household name yet, but movie buffs like me know that when he teams up with Will Ferrell, magic happens. The former "Saturday Night Live" writer directed Ferrell in "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" (2004), "Talladega Nights" (2006), and even the popular viral video "The Landlord" (2007). Movies with Ferrell that have not involved McKay have tried to duplicate the success of "Anchorman", but have failed ( i.e. "Semi-Pro" (2008), "Land of the Lost" (2009)).

As director and co-writer of "The Other Guys", McKay brings the best out of Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, and the rest of the cast. It combines action and comedy better than any similar comedy I have seen in a long time.

"The Other Guys" refers to, of course, the detectives who rarely get a piece of the archetypal cops-and-robbers shenanigans that are frequently seen in action movies or on "Law & Order". They remain mainly at their desks doing paperwork, something almost never seen in movies. Ferrell is Allen Gamble, who is somewhat content with managing case work on his computer, and Wahlberg is the far more forceful and ambitious Terry Hoitz.

Their characters are in sharp contrast to the cops that Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson portray in this film (and definitely in other films). Although Jackson and Johnson were also funny here, I hate that the previews gave away their cameos in this movie. It would have been more exciting if the audience didn't expect them when they stepped into the theaters. Then again, that is the fault of whomever marketed this film, not the filmmakers themselves.

When Allen and Terry start working on a case they have a lead in, one they get to before other senior detectives do, a really interesting detective story progresses that would not feel out of place in dramas like "The French Connection" (1971) or similar action/detective movies to that nature.

''When you do a comedy, it does no good to reference comedies,'' writer and director Adam McKay told Entertainment Weekly, ''You want to treat it like a drama 80% of the way. Then, at the last 20%, you f**k it up".

The last 20% made this movie work, naturally. More than that, though, Ferrell didn't get all the funny lines, which is the mistake that many buddy cop movies such as the recent "Cop Out" (2010) make. Wahlberg is as intense as he usually is in most movies, but he has laugh- out-loud hilarious lines that he plays effectively with a straight face. His line about being a peacock may make AFI's Most Memorable Movie Quote list in the next few years, and the hot water his character got into in an incident involving Derek Jeter (making a cameo as himself) made the audience at my screening cheer. Of course, I saw the movie in Boston, but I'm just saying.

However, the 20% of the movie that was funny was further enhanced by the story. Again, many buddy cop movies of recent years that have tried to be "48 Hours" make the mistake of introducing the villain early on, similar to a superhero comic book. This movie has you try to solve the mystery along with Ferrell and Wahlberg, and there are some decent twists and turns that really make you wonder who the culprit is.

I will say that the mystery was a bit confusing, especially since it involves a Rupert- Murdoch-meets-Donald-Trump tycoon (Steve Coogan) and some financial plot. As a critic, I could pretend to accurately interpret everything that I see on screen. However, I'm not a Wall Street expert, and numbers involved in trading, stocks & bonds, and all the rest confuse me. Nonetheless, even if you watch this movie not knowing who's wrong or right and why, you will still love the ride.

The closing credits featured cleverly-animated financial facts pertaining to the recent financial meltdown, which appeared to be meticulously researched but still out of place. Their presence reminded me of Charlie Chaplin's anti-Nazi plea for humanity at the end of "The Great Dictator" (1941). His speech didn't fit the slapstick comedy of the first 90% of the movie, but looking back, it was still necessary to hear. I feel as though this montage of facts may have the same effect.

Overall, though, "The Other Guys" is not just another movie. Some gags seemed a bit out of place, and the tired plot point of the police chief pulling the main cops off the case still seeped its way into the story. However, it helped that that chief was Michael Keaton in what could be a comeback performance, and that he had some hysterical lines as well. The movie tells a great story, everyone in the movie is funny without appearing to try too hard (especially in Ferrell's case), and the ensemble cast works together perfectly. In a year of mediocre (non-animated) comedies, "The Other Guys" lives up to its hype.
154 out of 254 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Movie
watt_world25 September 2011
Yet another underrated movie given only a 6.6 when a minimum should be an 8. This movie will have you laughing throughout the entire movie. I've watched this movie 3 times already and definitely bought it as soon as it came out on DVD. Will Farrel is a genius at finding some way to make everyone laugh as usual and Mark Walburge is just the touch needed to make the dysfunctional team even funnier. I love Sam and Dwayne's(the rock) part in the movie all though I thought they should have gotten a bigger role. Overall a great movie and no complaints by me at all. The casting was perfect also. I hope there's a second movie after this or something similar to this because I haven't laughed this much in a long time. Great comedy.
36 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wahlberg and Ferrell Deliver Hilariously
David Berov29 July 2010
I saw the advanced screening tonight in New York City and it was hilarious. The dry humor was tremendous and the chemistry between Marky Mark and Will Ferrell is unmatched. They were so funny together it was great. The story of the movie is pretty predictable but there legit is non stop laughter through the entire film. The only draw back was the length of the movie, they could have trimmed it a bit but overall it's a solid summer comedy. Dare I say this was Will Ferrell's best performance since Anchorman. It's certainly one of those movies you will be quoting with your friends for a long time. The entire theater was laughing throughout the entire thing..Great movie...go check it out.
153 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An action spoof that hits most of its targets (if not all). Ferrell and Wahlberg are hilarious
dvc515915 October 2010
Will Ferrell is back since the disappointing "Land of the Lost"! Who knew Mark Wahlberg could be genuinely hilarious? "The Other Guys" is the latest comedy to poke fun at the buddy cop genre, but this one is one of the best because the actors and director knew what they were doing.

Ferrell and Wahlberg have terrific chemistry and both of them have perfect comedic timing. But let's not forget the other supporting actors (too many to list here), as all of them have some memorable and quotable lines.

The jokes weave through slapstick and crude territory, while not being overly vulgar and overdone. The story is actually pretty engaging, as it is a genuine cop mystery at its core, but it is used as a vehicle for all the jokes to come in. And the jokes kept coming and had the entire audience laughing as well, this one the loudest compared to the previous Steve Carell entries "Date Night" and "Dinner For Schmucks". Sorry Steve, this year Will and Mark stole the audience.

Having said that, the production design, cinematography, editing, stunts/special effects are good, and the direction by Adam McKay is lighthearted and brisk. McKay is seriously becoming a big name in comedy film directors, and here is another memorable feather in his cap.

Overall, if you are in need of a laugh, see this movie A.S.A.P. This one is one of the funniest movies in years, and that's being honest.

Overall rating: 73/10
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
not as funny as i'd hoped
darrenambroseheslop4 February 2011
I really thought this would be good. The idea sounded like it had potential for laughs. Unfortunately there were no laughs in the movie.

You'd think with Will Ferrell, Michael Keaton, Steve Coogan and Samuel Jackson the performances would be good but they're not. Wahlberg is as bland as ever. Even Ray Stevenson, an actor I normally like, is poor in this.

Its supposed to be funny that Ferrell's character is surrounded by super sexy women who can't resist him. That's not funny and the "joke" is rendered even more lame because the women in the film are far from supersexy.

Coogan is wasted and what is the deal with Wahlberg's hair?
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Will Ferrell is BACK! Mark Wahlberg is perfect.
Parisa Michelle7 August 2010
Just when you think, "If you've seen one Will Ferrell movie, you've seen them all," think again. Ferrell is back and totally redeems himself from the flop that was Land of the Lost by giving one of his most genius performances to date.

It does help that Ferrell is partnered with hottie Mark Wahlberg who delivers a superbly-angst-ridden-yet-hilariously-gut-ripping performance. The movie is filled with fresh, sarcastic, and humorous one-liners, non-stop laughter, plenty of action, car chases, and explosions, and a complex plot with a thought-provoking political message. Just make sure you stay through the credits.

I cant't remember the last time I laughed out this loud and this often in a movie theater. One early particular scene in the movie in which Ferrell and Wahlberg argue over whether a lion or a tuna would win in a fight is so well acted and delivered that I was left gasping for air after laughing so hard. And don't be too sure you know who would win such fight, because their logic doesn't go the way any of us could have imagined.

I watched this movie right after I saw the painfully boring Dinner for Schmucks. But that can't be the only reason I loved this movie because the whole theater was laughing and clapping along with me, so much so, that I missed half the jokes due to the sheer volume of both. I don't know what else to say about this movie other than "Go see it--it's by far the best comedy of the summer." Parisa Michelle, www.CelebMagnet.com
102 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wahlberg - The angry cop
Paul Celano (chelano)13 August 2010
OK first off I will say that the story was just OK. But that usually happens in comedies. So you have to rely more on the film trying to make the viewer laugh. If you are a fan of Will Ferrell's comedy and Mark Wahlberg, then you will pretty much laugh throughout the film. Ferrell really gets to act like himself in this film. I mean he is playing a character, but he gets to use his typical humor. Wahlberg plays a really angry cop and some of the things that come out of his mouth will really get you laughing. I actually laughed more at Wahlberg than Ferrell. Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson are in the film a bit as the head cops; like a newer Starsky and Hutch. They were entertaining. Eva Mendes plays Ferrell's wife and she is actually entertaining. Then the chief of the police station is played by Michael Keaton. Throughout the movie he kept quoting from the group TLC. He was actually also pretty funny. You will find yourself laughing a lot throughout the film. But there are some parts where they do try to be serious and most of the time it can be a turn off in a good comedy. There are some great one liners and scenes that will stick in your mind. So a pretty good comedy and I will end by saying, I want to see Mark Mahlberg do more comedic roles, because he is pretty good in them.
61 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Everything you expect from Ferrell, except with much more
diac2286 August 2010
Just when you think you've seen one Will Ferrell movie, you've seen them all, think again. Try this on for size: Usual Ferrell comedy plus crazy action plus subtle political and economical commentary plus excellent soundtrack. The Other Guys is a surprisingly hilarious and surprisingly action-packed movie that will keep you entertained throughout without actually dumbing you down. Unlike most Will Ferrell movies, you don't have to shut off your brain in this one; you actually have to pay attention because aside from the comedy, there is a complex crime to solve. Adam McKay delivers his best writing and directing performance, while the excellent cast ranging from Ferrell to Wahlberg to Keaton provides plenty of laughs, plenty of one-liners, and plenty of entertaining moments that propel this movie past the slowest of scenes.

The Other Guys is about two mismatched behind-the-scenes paper-pushers (Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg) quietly investigating a series of suspicious events stemming from a unique bank robbery. Along the way they try to defeat their personal demons and try to figure out how to get along with each other. Unlike most Ferrell movies, in which it's a simple concept and improv provides the filler material, this movie actually has a mildly complex and heavy script, but still gives the cast a chance for a little improvisation. Written by the director and also Chris Henchy, I'll even go as far as to say that this among the best comedic scripts since last year's The Hangover. To add to that, McKay and Henchy pull a neat trick by slowly feeding you some commentary about big business and its mannerisms. The last mainstream comedy to attempt this was the mildly underrated Fun with Dick and Jane remake with Jim Carrey.

While this movie does not have the extensive magical gathering of comedians like Anchorman (then again, what movie does?), the cast still does an excellent job bringing the comedy from the script to the screen. Will Ferrell is a little more toned-down this time, but still has his usual moments (screaming like a girl, random quotes, random singing, quirky one-liners). Mark Wahlberg however, steals the show with his angry lines, his bitter delivery, and his outbursts. The only thing hindering Wahlberg is the PG-13 rating; who knows what more classic lines he could have pulled off if he was allowed to go uncut (Remember him in The Departed?). Smaller roles fill the bill in the laughs department, including Eva Mendez (beautiful as always), Michael Keaton, Steve Coogan, Samuel L. Jackson, Dwayne Johnson, and the cameos.

Even though Farrell has been hit-and-miss with the public and the critics, his best work always has been with Adam McKay. Anchorman, Talladega Nights, and Step Brothers were their previous collaborations and those three clearly top anything else Farrell has pulled off. The Other Guys in terms of directing and pacing dethrones them all. McKay does more than just handle the camera and let the actors mouth off; he stages some great action sequences and does a fantastic job directing a slow-motion bar sequence that displays the coolest slo-mo effects since Zombieland. The first half was so overloaded with funny scenarios, the audience very often was laughing so hard they missed the next couple of jokes while trying to recover from the last two. One scene in particular had the audience nearly drown out the sound of the audio coming from the movie.

The first half was absolutely spectacular and downright comical; the second half never had a chance to duplicate the magic of the first hour. This is where Adam Mckay's biggest issues have been: in the final third of the flicks. All of McKay's movies lose steam and slow down towards the end, preventing them from becoming eternal comedic classics. In the case of The Other Guys, he improved a bit by still providing some of the laughs, even though you will still feel the momentum slowly die down. The cop clich├ęs, while not taken seriously, still mildly hindered the moments leading up to the climax. There were some unnecessary scenes; a little bit of editing could have really helped this movie. But, unlike the other movies, the third act stays afloat thanks to the Wahlberg/Ferrell mix, as well as the continuing mystery that was slowly unfolding. Then stay tuned for the credits, when the commentary rushes at you full-force.

Bottom Line: Honestly, I never thought that Will Ferrell would be involved with Mark Wahlberg, a creative script, hidden commentary (that unveils itself when you least expect it), and a soundtrack consisting of Rage against the Machine. Nonetheless, the combination worked like a great mixed drink that has you asking for seconds and thirds. The one-liners are flying all over the place, and so are the bullets. The Other Guys is the funniest movie of the year so far, and clearly the best surprise we've had this summer. Adam McKay continues to claim the throne as the best comedic director in the business, and this movie is more evidence. All McKay needs to do is cut back on the overall running time. This is the first Will Ferrell movie that you must pay close attention to (in terms of visual humor and crime-solving), and is overall one of his best movies.
102 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Laughs at all ages!!
MissLee139 August 2010
I saw the film with my 60-year-old mom and my teenage son and we all cracked up throughout the film--sometimes at different things and to different degrees. That's touching a true cross-section!! Although the latter 1/3 of the movie isn't quite as funny as the first 2/3, it still brought the laughs. I can't imagine why anyone who enjoyed Will Ferrell in Anchorman, Talladega Nights, and Step Brothers would give this movie anything below 7 stars.

Maybe the reviewer who said that everyone didn't get the comic references was on to something...although I can't imagine why people wouldn't. There are humorous references about modern technology, sports, pimpin', geriatrics, !! Who can't find something in one of those to laugh at?!? lol

I say DEFINITELY check it out for yourself! I needed a good laugh and I got one...even some true tears of laughter.
104 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Boring, contrived and lacking imagination
siddharth-shankar21 August 2010
I typically only take the trouble to go watch a movie if it has an IMDb rating of greater than 7 out of 10 and fits my genre preferences. So when I saw a 7.1, I was expecting a fairly decent comedy out of two seasoned actors. However, the movie fails on a number of counts:

1. Parts of the script play out like a broken tape recorder i.e. mind- numbing repetition of the same lines and similar jokes. It's as if the script writer got permission to put only 10 funny lines in a comedy movie and tried to squeeze every last drop of humor out of them. Constant references to TLC, Wahlberg's "I'm a peacock" line, the constant portrayal of Will Ferrell as a paper-pushing dork etc. made me feel like my mind was turning to mush as the movie progressed.

2. They weren't kidding when they rated it PG-13 for "crude ...language". The movie is overwrought with misogynistic comments and jokes. It literally reminded me of being in school watching a bunch of prepubescent guys belt out one liners like:

"I didn't know they sold tampons on wheels" (referring to the Red Prius that Will Ferrell drives), or, "I feel like i'm sitting inside a v****a" (referring to the Prius again).

Orgy loving hobos, a grandma passing sexually explicit messages between her daughter and son-in-law etc etc etc. The list is long and I could go on all day. They really overdid it on that count.

3. The plot is weak and devoid of details. It looks like the filmmakers were hoping that no one would care about the story or central theme with the "in-your-face" "comedy". Ferrell and Wahlberg are paper pushing cops (for feeble reasons that are revealed in the movie, and really not worth my time to list) who accidentally stumble into a case far larger than either of them imagined. Contrary to what the plot summary says, nobody wants a part of this case, and the only reason they get into it is because Ershon forgets to file for scaffolding permits for a few buildings he owns. Their investigation ruffles a few feathers and everything goes downhill from there. All of this while these two mismatched cops try to "find themselves", resolve their differences, and fill the shoes of the two knuckle headed "red-bull high" macho cops who randomly jump off a building at the beginning of the movie. Throw in a few car chases, bullets flying willy-nilly, and a stupid wooden gun that Will Ferrell totes around (which is supposed to be soooooo funny for some reason), and that's the summary of this movie for you.

Don't waste your time with this one, unless.... actually, don't waste your time on this movie, period.
79 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this