IMDb > Cop Out (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

No reason to seek out Cop Out

Author: Simon_Says_Movies from Toronto, ON, Canada
19 March 2010

What was Kevin Smith thinking? An audacious critic of society and film in particular, and no stranger to poking fun at himself I can foresee, a few years down the road, a sheepish Smith laughing off his involvement in this torturously unfunny genre film. What he may lack in compelling direction skills, he more than makes up for in witty screenplays with equal balance raunch and insight having crafted classics such as Clerks and Chasing Amy. With Smith absent from the writing role there is absolutely no reason to seek out Cop Out.

Calling Cop Out a 'buddy cop' film would be a gross misnomer. To qualify as such, we would actually have to witness some aspect of 'buddy'. Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan, who co-star, have absolutely no chemistry and I did not believe for a single second they would ever be friends, or even be able to tolerate one another for that matter. Furthermore, I did not believe for a single second that Tracy Morgan could ever be a cop. I am willing to suspend some disbelief in movies like this but c'mon. This role would have been kin to casting Betty White in Taken. Morgan is a very funny man in supporting situations, with 30 Rock being an apt example (Although that show benefits from Tina Fey's screenplay. If she had penned Cop Out this review could be reading far differently) but as with actors like Chris Rock and Chris Tucker, a little goes a long way.

Then we have Bruce Willis who just seems eager to leave. I have never seen Willis mope his way through a movie like this; all of his roguish charms seemed drained by the horrific writing and familiarity of the gags. To make matter worse yet, we get a horrendous performance from Sean William Scott, also a very funny man, whose character is as annoying as it is perfunctory. Many have been calling this a familiar rehash of buddy cop flicks of years past; I wish. I would have begged for a Beverly Hills Cop XXII over this near abomination.

The plot, in case you care, centers on Willis' and Morgan's Jimmie and Paul, two NYPD detectives who stumble into a drug ring after Jimmie's prized baseball card is stolen in front of his eyes during a robbery. He needs the card to pay for his daughters wedding and as he searches with the help of the criminal by which it was stolen (William Scott) uncovers more than he had in mind.

In summation, this film fails as a comedy, fails as an action film, fails as a breakout role for Tracy Morgan, fails as a return to the cop genre for Willis and mars Kevin's Smith's mostly unblemished track record. Originally titled A Couple of Dicks, the title was then changed to what you now see on the marquee. I can only assume this was a backhanded reference to the state of Smith's creative integrity.

Read all my reviews at simonsaysmovies.blogspot.com

mildly amusing but not very good

Author: SloberDon from USA AOK
17 March 2010

I guess you could call a few scenes mildly amusing but this movie never delivered any laugh out loud moments. It certainly never rings true as an action film. I don't know if they were mocking or paying homage to movies like Lethal Weapon and that's precisely the problem. Bruce Willis was solid but Tracy Morgan was severely out of place. While I find Morgan funny, his act wears thin fast. Also, Kevin Smith experimenting with the hand-held shaky camera craze has to be considered a colossal failure. Maybe it wasn't even intentional but I had to look away from the screen on some simple shots because of the motion. What was he thinking? Doesn't anyone screen the final cut and let him know what was wrong?

Is this a joke?

Author: mattbaxter72 from United Kingdom
1 February 2011

This is supposed to be a comedy, allegedly. I only know that because it's advertised as a comedy, though - you certainly wouldn't know because of any funny moments in the film. It's a buddy cop movie, where Bruce Willis looks as though he's overdosed on Valium and Tracy Morgan makes up for that by doing what I can only describe as a minstrel show routine.

I don't want to get on my high horse about what's supposed to be a light-hearted action cop movie, but then again I didn't want to get angry after a light-hearted action cop movie, either. Angry about Morgan's performance, a gibbering, cavorting, screeching act that wouldn't have been out of place in the days of Stepin Fetchit. Angry about the fact that no one involved seemed to give a toss - in fact they might as well have spent the whole movie just standing there, holding up two middle fingers at the audience.

But I'm angry most of all at Kevin Smith, the director of this piece of utter garbage. He used to be talented. He used to make great movies like Clerks, Dogma, even Mallrats. Yeah, that's right, I'm the guy who liked Mallrats. These days he churns out lazy rubbish and then goes on Twitter and whines at anyone who dares to criticise it. He's thrown his talent away, and he's so wrapped up in the bubble of his own self-importance that he doesn't seem to realise it. By making a film like this, and clearly not caring at all about how it turned out, he's shown his complete contempt for movie-goers, fans and the smoking wreckage of his own career. Well done, Kevin. Well done.

Just awful

Author: Frode from Norway
2 October 2010

Movies in this genre usually do the trick for me. They are not meant to make a huge impact on you, just give you some good laughs for an hour and a half or so. This movie however, fails in every way possible. The plot is bad and not even remotely interesting. A valuable baseball card that Jimmy Monroe (Bruce Willis) is selling to pay for his daughters wedding, gets stolen from him, and he and his partner, Paul Hodges (Tracy Morgan), gets themselves into a big mess trying to get it back.

I don't know what Bruce Willis was thinking when he agreed to do this movie, and watching him on screen makes me believe he had some regrets. He actually looks bored during most scenes, and there is no chemistry between him and Tracy. As if it's not bad enough that Bruce puts on the worst performance I have ever seen from him, Tracy Morgan managed to make me hate his character so much, that I actually hoped he was hurt in the scene where a kid kicks him in the nuts.

To top things off, there are two other "buddy-cops" in the movie, played by Adam Brody and Kevin Pollak. They add nothing to the story except for 20 minutes extra run time.

Looking for a nice buddy-cop movie to get some quick laughs? Then keep looking. Cop Out is nothing more than 1 hour and 47 minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Much Better Than Expected

Author: tjdurant from Belmont, Massachusetts
27 February 2010

I saw this with my 15-year-old son, and we both laughed a lot, as did the nearly-full mid- afternoon theater audience. I have rarely seen such a stark disconnect between some scathing reviews and actual audience reaction.

Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan have excellent chemistry. Morgan is consistently funny, and Willis goofs nicely on his own image. Sean William Scott is a hoot! You have to see his one- of-a-kind performance to believe it, and don't miss the credits!

Yes, it's no masterpiece, plot, action, or comedy-wise. The primacy of Beverly Hills Cop and Die Hard in the action-comedy pantheon is undisturbed. No new creative ground is broken here. Kevin Pollack, unfortunately, is given little to do. Adam Brody was 10 times better in Mr. & Mrs. Smith, in a far smaller role. But on the whole, the movie does what one asks of an action-comedy: it makes you laugh many times, and it does not bore you.

Ana de la Reguera is also an unexpected treat. Bonita y deliciosa.

Me and my son give it two thumbs up!

I'll take your badge and gun, Kevin Smith

Author: curren-waters from United States
28 February 2010

I went into Cop-Out expecting the hatred to be overblown. I'm usually a fan of these cliché action movies as long as they're entertaining, even on a mindless level. But as it turns out, the hatred was not only positively correct, but even though it gets 20% on Rotten Tomatoes, I consider it overrated. It's that bad.

The characters were annoying and uninteresting, and the performances are just terrible. Bruce Willis is dull and uninteresting, Tracy Morgan is like a mumbling Bill Cosby wannabe, Sean William Scott is like a mix between Ashton Kutcher and Jar Jar Binks, and the rest of the characters were just..... there. The back stories behind all these characters are cliché and uninteresting, which just makes the film even more boring.

The humor in the film is just a bunch of obnoxious ramblings and pop culture references, with some unfunny sexual humor thrown in. There's actually one scene where Tracy Morgan is purposely using a bunch of lines taken from movies for no reason whatsoever. They tried to be clever by adding in the famous "YIPPE KAY YAY, MOTHER F*****!!" line, and have Bruce Willis say "I haven't seen that movie!", but it's poorly executed and just comes off as dry.

The cinematography in the film is just lazy. The camera is always moving in circles, there's one or two moments where the directed object is out of focus, and it's especially shaky in the action scenes. It makes the film seem like an incredibly cheap cash-in, which I suppose it is.

Do yourself a favor; imagine yellow "Do Not Cross" banners running around this film.

as if Willis and smith can't read.

Author: Arend from Germany
14 August 2010

considering the talent involved this feels like they didn't bother to read the script before they started shooting. this is a really, really bad script. the leads are mildly entertaining but they would have been more fun just standing in front of a curtain talking for 2 hrs.

i guess this was one for the paid check for smith.. but the Morgan and Willis? take the blood away and you have a story so dumbed down it would be suitable for a special sponge bob crime episode.

how scripts like these get made into movies is beyond me. can someone explain? seriously.

the soundtrack is keyboard retro 80s and just reminds viewers that this could be a lame attempt to say hello to much better and funnier movies like Beverly hills cop and the like.

I just read that smith also edited this. Well I guess you could not save this mess in the post production.

Cheaply done buddy film

Author: Samiam3 from Canada
9 January 2011

Cop Out has a few laughs, but otherwise it's a surprisingly bland experience. It suffers from a generic storyline, questionable performances and the simple fact that almost none of the intended sources of humour achieve the desired effect.

Bruce Willis (an old timer) and Tracy Morgan (a new timer) are an odd couple indeed, but they had potential. The problem is that their levels of commitment to the film are polarized. Willis seems lazy and uninterested never putting much effort into it. Morgan on the other hand, tries way too hard. His larger than life style of crudeness is more clumsy than funny, and he upstages pretty much everyone else in the cast.

After about ten minutes, we have a pretty good idea of how this film is gonna play out, but we go with it in the hope that the trip is worth while. Unfortunately there are more silly contrivances and poorly written lines than there are laughs. The only time when Cop Out is funny (and remotely clever) is over a Good Cop Bad Cop routine that Willis and Morgan have. There are enough action movie jokes to make it clear to the audience that at least Kevin Smith has the self-awareness necessary for satire. But from what I saw, Cop Out isn't really a satire at all. It no better or worse than any other failed cop/comedy. I'm not sure if it's laziness or lack of thinking behind it, but Cop Out hasn't got the goods

Crapped Out

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
12 July 2011

'Cop Out' is perhaps Kevin Smith's most 'un-Kevin Smith' film. It lacks the brand of humour his previous works had. Even though he has made his share of bad films next to a few great ones, the jokes usually work. In 'Cop Out' most of them fall flat. The story (if there is one) has no direction at all. The characters are annoying. Supporting characters appear and disappear randomly. In Smith's defence, he wasn't part of the writing department (though he was involved in the editing) and the script is just one big mess. I still wonder why he decided to make this? Even the actors seem to lack interest. Tracy Morgan is completely miscast and he has no chemistry with any of his costars. Actually none of the actors have chemistry. Bruce Willis too is unimpressive. Perhaps he's finally tired of playing the same kind of role over and over again. The title is somewhat right for the movie although I don't think it ever had potential.

Cop Out : BeatDown Reviews

Author: Shaun Choo from Singapore
10 August 2010

Do you want to know the reason why some people did not like this movie? I'll tell you why. They take this movie too seriously. I mean yeah there are some problems in the movie but then again, nothings perfect.I watched this film and within 10 mins into the movie, I was laughing my butt off. I believe that more people will enjoy this film if they just relax and unwind while watching this film, and to not take it so seriously.

The story is about two cops Jimmy Monroe(Bruce Willis) and Paul Hodgens(Tracy Morgan). Jimmy has to pay for his daughters wedding in order to not look like a fool in front of his ex-wife's new husband Roy(Jason Lee) who is much richer than him. So he decides to sell off his prized possession, a 1952 Andy Pafko card. However, Jimmy was robbed halfway through the transaction by Dave(Sean William Scott). Now he and his partner have to go across the city causing mayhem an violence just to find his card.

Now I bought this film on DVD so there are special features . Just deleted scenes. This film may have a clichéd storyline but it has great lines to make you laugh out loud and Kevin smith does a pretty good job at directing the duo. Although not his best, surely one of the funniest. Bruce and Tracy just have excellent chemistry and that is also what makes this movie shine.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]