IMDb > The Adjustment Bureau (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adjustment Bureau

The Adjustment Bureau More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 39: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

7.1... I Feel Like I'm Taking Crazy Pills

Author: bl-606-352256
3 September 2011

Summary: The premise is the worst I ever heard of, the plot is lame, and the film ended really poorly. You didn't get sucked into the world of the film, the special effects and action are not cool. There was bad acting. At this point there is nothing worth seeing about the film besides Damon acting well and a typical love story, but this was supposed to be a thriller. This movie would be a waste of drugs if you thought they could aid in making it watchable. This movie isn't romantic enough to make your girl swoon at any point. You will never say "That was awesome", you may laugh at the stupidity of the film or simply say "I don't care about this $#*+"

Here's why this film will disappoint you for watching it:

Ending: Cop-out and includes an infuriatingly cheesy life philosophy. This ending alone would ruin even a good film.

Big Bad Guy: Will not scare you. Doesn't do much.

Special Effects: Doors open to different places than they should. This is the big special effect in the movie, it is not noteworthy and not a reason this film is worth seeing. Other special effects are not interesting and few and far between.

Poor acting: If you weren't a main character, you got typical confident bad guy lines. These lines were delivered very flat and made the characters forgettable.

Bad guy's kryptonite: Dumb enough to embarrass you for watching. I won't spoil the film, but there are two and both of them should have been left out because they never mattered. They seemed to be added as an afterthought or got bungled in production and are some artifact of a more thought out plot device.

Plot Hole: Hard not to make this a spoiler....they were larger holes than are usually acceptable, not even being picky here 1.) Something all knowing didn't know something very obvious 2.) If you invited me to your house and I decided to light all the furniture on fire, would your response be "When you're done using that lighter, could you help me put out these fires?"

It's been a while since I've seen such a disappointing film

Author: AlienByChoice from New-Zealand
10 August 2011

In short - give me my 2 hours back! There were countless books written and movies shot about destiny and our ability to control it, but never before have I seen such a simplistic, idiot-proof, insulting to the intelligence, take on this topic.

Damon delivers one of his most bland performances to date, and is not helped by a lackluster script and a boring, linear storyline. This half-hearted effort couldn't have made it as an episode of the twilight zone, let alone a feature length movie.

A movie can be intelligent, interesting, involving, fun, entertaining, actually it can be almost anything... Problem is, this movie is nothing. Just a waste of digital space and 2 hours of my life. (Or may be the bureau wanted me to see it in the first place.)

2/10. If it was any worse, I'd have walked out.

Oh dear, Matt's had a psychotic episode

Author: clarki-17-565167 from United States
24 June 2011

A new member of the official Hollywood script-pickers club. Not even Ben Affleck would touch this one. The ideas for new movies are becoming increasingly bizarre. Inception, The Tourist and now this oddment. Let's stick to remakes, or even movies that aren't exact remakes but are really (for example, Goonies becomes Super 8). Some people believe that you need to go to a cinema and view these pieces of work on the silver screen. Unfortunately, you have to pay for that and since George Lucas's hi-jacking of Star Wars I am reluctant to trust the straight to general cinema releases as a mark of quality. In fact, the limited release movies are often much more creative and original. I give this movie 2 stars but only for the ridiculous hats, the true stars of the show.

Lovely Movie :)

Author: prateeksahoo from Mumbai, India
18 May 2011

Do we control our destiny, or do unseen forces manipulate us? Matt Damon stars in the thriller The Adjustment Bureau as a man who glimpses the future Fate has planned for him and realizes he wants something else. To get it, he must pursue the only woman he's ever loved across, under and through the streets of modern-day New York. On the brink of winning a seat in the U.S. Senate, ambitious politician David Norris (Damon) meets beautiful contemporary ballet dancer Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt)--a woman like none he's ever known. But just as he realizes he's falling for her, mysterious men conspire to keep the two apart. David learns he is up against the agents of Fate itself--the men of The Adjustment Bureau--who will do everything in their considerable power to prevent David and Elise from being together. In the face of overwhelming odds, he must either let her go and accept a predetermined path...or risk everything to defy Fate and be with her. The Adjustment Bureau is written for the screen and directed by George Nolfi (writer of Ocean's Twelve, co-writer of The Bourne Ultimatum). It is based on a short story by Philip K. Dick ("Total Recall," "Minority Report" and "Blade Runner").

This is a very lovely movie must watch for all people !

More romance than sci-fi

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
2 March 2011

"There's much to be said for challenging fate instead of ducking behind it." Diana Trilling

Fate, determinism, chance, existential choice, and love-- all need adjustment, and the sci-fi The Adjustment Bureau is right for you if you love those abstractions and miss Twilight Zone and X Files. Matt Damon gives a strong under-acted performance as a New York senatorial candidate dogged by the Adjustment Bureau under the direction of a "chairman" who writes the life plan for specially targeted humans. His minions adjust as is necessary to the god-like's plans with as few "ripples" as possible.

Based on Philip K. Dick's short story, The Adjustment Team, it's an imaginative screenplay that takes itself not too seriously but risks being underdeveloped. What distinguishes Damon's David and his dancer-love Elise (Emily Blunt) is their determination to fulfill their serious love despite the Bureau's plans contrary to the consummation. The on-screen chemistry between Blunt and Damon is so pleasing that I am tempted to call this film a romance rather than a sci-fi thriller.

Actually, what makes me so favorable is the nicely-acted romance, which asks questions about whether to choose love or public service, love or professional success. For the existentialist, these are vexing alternatives squarely in the realm of personal choice, not a bureau's design.

Therein rests the philosophical core of the film: Can mankind be trusted with free will given how badly they have screwed up over the last 2000 years or so? The Bureau's notable success at intervention during the 16th through 19th centuries promises that it needs to make itself felt again, especially as the path of a future USA president must be controlled.

Although I am tempted to cite the absurdities of the plot and the philosophical inconsistencies, I will refrain in favor of a pleasantly provocative tale that tries more than most other films at this time to engage our minds. The parallel to Inception is not far-fetched; the manipulation is just different. But in the end the humans must take control of their fates, and in both films they do.\

Although it's not Blade Runner or Minority Report (both Dick stories), I applaud a film that dares to remind us of our determination to forge productive lives. Egyptians today are living proof of the power of free will.

"If I'm not supposed to be with her, why do I feel like this?" Dave Norris about Elise and the Bureau's plan to keep them apart.

Well, think everyone knows what the story is about

Author: Philipp Georg from Germany
9 March 2011

I guess the Film leaves you mostly unsatisfied and not in the good way. I watched it at a Sneak Preview tonight, hadn't seen any trailers and knew nothing about the story so far. After the first couple of scenes i really thought, man thats some nice ideas there on the screen book. Sadly enough i started to get more disappointed scene after scene.

A couple of things really really annoyed me during the movie like "hey we're the bad guys you can't beat us - just so you know our only weakness is water" i mean that is just to easy for such a production don't you think?

And even though the film played with the ironic of the adjusters being that weak, i never really felt some sort of danger for the love story. I mean once Damon and blunt start using the doors it starts getting pathetic and can't be taken serious in any way anymore. I mean the love scene at the statue of liberty? Zero effort by the director.

I mean i expected something like this to happen in the end. But it was way more awful than i thought. Really?? Cmon! That was cheap. Believe in Love, make your own destiny? I really had the feeling nobody had any interest to make the original good concept into a good shaped movie.

Nevertheless i liked the Character Norris and the scenes between him and the adjusters had something to me. Overall still a little sad that they did not made some more complex out of the idea.

Just my opinion - and taste is different

Depends which hat it's wearing

Author: Framescourer from London, UK
14 March 2011

I struggled to get a handle on this sci-fi romance. Is it the meeting of Damon & Blunt's cleft chins? Perhaps, in a reversal of the postmodern revisiting of the 1960s in Mad Men this is Roger Sterling (John Slattery)'s tinkering with the future?

No, really, it's just another tepid Philip K Dick adaptation. At its time of release (this week) it's fashionable to say its Bourne (the Damon bit) meets Inception (the magic realism bit). However it bears resemblance to others too - Vanilla Sky (noumenal New York), Minority Report (more Dick), The Thomas Crown Affair (hats), The Matrix (predetermination) and even Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (sci- fi romance) to name a few (oh, go on then - Orson Welles' The Trial is also in there).

Like many mongrel films it ends up being less than the sum of its parts. Though Damon has charisma and John Slattery injects some realist ennui into his deus in machina role, damp, compliant phone-ins from Emily Blunt and Terence Stamp shackle the show. The shortcomings of the cast are entirely of a part with the production - the film doesn't know what it wants to be. It tries to be all of the above, jumping from a scene of *fun* through a door marked *thrills* and then on to another door marked *romance* without backing itself up. Diverting 5/10

A very entertaining love story

Author: Utkarsh Agrawal from India
25 April 2013

I love it! It was so much fun.

One could maybe predict the end but it didn't really matter. The plot was very well scripted. The whole concept of a higher power as an organization without an end of the world stuff was awesome.

Matt Damon and Emily Blunt look really good together. The romance isn't cheesy at all. It's nice and sweet. To top it all, Emily is humorous too.

I have watched it more than once and I still don't mind sitting through it again. It is one of such movies which light and entertaining at the same time.

Even without extraordinary acting or mind blowing CGI, this movie will keep you engrossed and leave you happy at the end.

An Interesting Romantic Science-Fiction

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
19 February 2013

This movie turned out to be an interesting romantic science-fiction which concerns a politician by the name of "David Norris" (Matt Damon) who accidentally encounters divine beings responsible for determining his fate. By complete accident, he meets and falls in love with a woman named, "Elise Sellas" (Emily Blunt) who he is not supposed to become romantically involved with as it will alter the future course of events. Because of this he is then given a choice to either fulfill his destiny--and let Elise fulfill her destiny as well--or attempt to stay together and let the chips fall where they may. Now, rather than saying too much and possibly spoiling the film for those who haven't seen it I won't say what happens next. I will say, however, that this is a cute and imaginative movie which viewers might find enjoyable if they like films of this nature. That said, I rate this movie as slightly above average.

Going in Circles

Author: piratecannon from United States
26 December 2012

In my mind, Philip K. Dick is pretty much the greatest science fiction author ever. From his pen we've received an onslaught of works that have been spun into classic movies: Blade Runner, Total Recall, and Minority Report are just a few examples. Recently, his story of an up- and-coming Senatorial candidate who finds himself the observer of men who carefully organize mankind's existence so that it pans out in very specific ways was released on Blu-ray/DVD. It's nicely directly and features some solid performances, but the screenplay is full of holes—so many, in fact, that it bears asking whether or not the thing was even finished when it ended up in the hands of director George Nolfi.

As indicated, The Adjustment Bureau is—for the most part—science fiction. One might classify it as a fantasy, though elements of both are present. More than anything, though, it's a love story. When the previously mentioned politician is prevented from carrying out a relationship with a girl he bumped to after losing his most recent election bid, he does everything he can to defy the "powers that be." Our protagonist feels driven (by nothing more complex than deep-seeded love) to spend his life with a girl he'd met only once, even after he's informed that his "plan" calls for him to assume much higher duties that don't involve said romantic interest (he is, in fact, scheduled to one day become President). Mr. Damon wants none of this, however, if he can't have the girl.

And that's the plot. Damon's character darts around NYC, eluding obstacles placed along his route by the trench coat men of the enigmatic Bureau, occasionally exchanging dialogue with a rogue agent who believes the whole thing is a faulty endeavor. The philosophical and religious explorations related to free will are certainly thought-provoking, but these are never mined to their full extent. Likewise, we're never given any concrete information about what the Bureau really is (and who its members really are). Are they spiritual entities? Aliens? Trans- dimensional beings? We never know, and these questions end up being more burdensome than any grander subtext that the screenwriters tried to weave into the script.

A lot of people would likely say that worrying about the origins of the Bureau is criminal, as that's not really the focus of the film. I'd respond by saying there's some truth to that, but the minimalist philosophical dabbling of the story coupled with the "yeah, right" factor that ultimately arises from the presence of the all-knowing men in black is too problematic to ignore.