IMDb > The Adjustment Bureau (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adjustment Bureau

The Adjustment Bureau More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 41: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The Observers.. um, Adjusters, are watching you!

Author: Girish Gowda from BengaLuru, Karnataka
15 March 2012

Are the choices we make really made on our own free will or is it all fate, predestined and set in stone no matter how hard we try to escape it? In "The Adjustment Bureau", a rising politician, David Norris (Matt Damon) bumps into a ballerina, Elise (Emily Blunt) in the strangest of places under the strangest of circumstances and they are immediately attracted to each other. Even though mysterious men (The Adjusters) are dead set on keeping them apart, they keep bumping into each other by chance. Finally, one of the stranger mysterious guys kidnap him and lay it all in front of him. They are the course correctors of the world. Whenever they hand over free will to humans from the heights of human advancements, we inevitably decline into anarchy, the Dark Ages and world wars. He realizes the gravity of the situation where his and Elise's entire starlit future will no longer be a possibility if they fall in love. In the face of overwhelming odds, either he must let her go and accept his fate or risk everything to be with her and push their career into an abyss.

People who haven't watched 'Fringe' are calling this movie imaginative and intriguing, while I'd say its derivative of a far greater work. The Adjustment Bureau in the movie is quite obviously fashioned along the lines of Fringe's "OBSERVERS". The differences being the notable not-balded heads, the use of 'portal doors' and The Adjusters being more or less angels. The Observers though, are obviously much more better written than The Adjusters who seem very non-threatening. Implying God as the Chairman was really funny to me. It made the movie less suspenseful than it should have been. Then there's a plot deviation in the middle when its revealed that David and Elise were meant to be together in all the previous plans, but the plan was changed suddenly. So, now they were meant to be with different people. This brings up the whole - Why the hell did the Chairman change the plan in the first place!! Thus, David and Elise, when you think about it, never had any free will to fall in love with each other since the remnants of the previous plans were subconsciously in their minds.

Most people are comparing this movie to Inception which is highly unfair since its not an all out intelligent action/sci-fi thriller. But, if this is the kind of stories 'Inception' helps bring about in Hollywood, then its a step in the right direction. Let me be clear, I really liked the movie, but the potential it had was never quite achieved. Why did the Adjustors want humans to have a better life? What was their interest in all this? It was never explained. They didn't delve into the philosophical or sci-fi aspects of the story. The first half was far superior to the latter half of the movie. Also it didn't help with the fact that the gorgeous Emily Blunt is just the arm candy for Matt Damon and is completely under utilized, barring a few scenes. Matt Damon is perfect in his portrayal as always. By far, the breakout character being the Adjuster, Harry (Anthony Mackie) who goes against the rules and helps David Norris in his quest. In retrospect, his was the only arc where the philosophical and moral conundrum in following God's plans was even remotely touched upon (same storyline is done better in 'Supernatural'). This movie is just another 'love triumphs over all hardships' with a sci-fi/supernatural twist. Could have been done better, but its enjoyable nonetheless.

Him Verse The World

Author: kdorsey321 from United States
9 January 2012

My next movie review is going to be on the film "The Adjustment Bureau," starring Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, and Anthony Mackie. My very first thoughts when I saw this movie coming out is that it looks different. As a movie watcher you always want something different. Something that no one has came up with. As viewers we crave that, and that's what I believed I saw when I watched the previews for this movie.

This movie is about a man(Matt Damon) that is just living his life and finds out that there is a higher power that regulates what goes on in everyone's life. He doesn't like there game and he wants to make his own rules. Through his journey he meets a woman and they challenge the higher power to try and stop some adjustments that they have(Matt Damon and woman) made. Who knows if they'll be able to live to tell this story...

I liked the movie. This movie was different. I was expecting a little more, but I'm satisfied with what I got. For some reason I was expecting some kind of twist or something. Yet and still, I feel like this was a very good movie. This movie does make you think though. This is a movie that conspiracy theorist will go crazy for. I'm almost positive there are many of them referring to this movie to prove some kind of point. For the average viewer I approve this movie and I also feel like it is DVD worthy. This is a movie that can go into your collection, without feeling like you have to just buy the movie because you are a big Matt Damon fan. I'm giving this movie a 8 out of 10.

The Adjustment Bureau has an intriguing premise that seemed only partially successful in execution

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
23 September 2011

Knowing this was adapted from a Philip K. Dick story, I knew that the premise of this movie was a little out there. Matt Damon plays a career politician who loses an election and accidentally encounters a pretty woman entering the men's room. She's played by Emily Blunt and we later find out she's a ballet dancer with ambitions of her own. Both seem smitten but there's these men in business suits and hats that are attempting to prevent this romance from blossoming. Why? Well, it seems there are some plans involved from up above...Quite entertaining what with the story, dialogue, acting, and an exciting chase though I did wonder if there really was a point to all the exposition that resulted. Still, it wasn't too bad and I'll maybe watch this again one day so on that note, The Adjustment Bureau is worth a look.

They're Men... They're Men in Hats

Author: Nico from United States
2 June 2012

While the agents (angels?) are powerful enough to erase minds and alter anyone's circumstances, they nonetheless *must* keep their magic hats on. They also constantly consult what appears to be mildly-advanced college notebook.

I can't imagine why Matt Damon agreed to this project. Was anyone involved in this production familiar with the adage, "Show, don't tell." There is on-going and seemingly never-ending exposition, which only succeeds in exposing the silliness of the plot. Further, there are the rules that Damon's character is not to break, but when he does so anyway, his punishments are about as harsh as those Hogan received from Colonel Klink.

Meanwhile, the love story is weak (just as the actors' chemistry). Unconvincing, they declare they've found "true love," when they've only spent a handful of brief moments together. Hey, at least their "meet cute" was especially accidental.

Overall, it's an overly long and fairly lame film. You just might want to skip this one.

I cannot / will not recommend this film

Author: jaxbubba from THE FARIS REEL on Facebook
12 February 2012

Movie Review: "The Adjustment Bureau" – A wannabe sci-fi film with a very interesting premise, only to turn into a lame love story!!!!! Matt Damon stars as David Norris, an up and coming politician. After failing to secure a seat in the NY Senate seat in his first attempt, David has a fate encounter with a mysterious ballerina in the restroom of the Waldorf Astoria. This incident triggers a set of pre-determined events which will enable the continued success of all mankind. To ensure that this master plan is followed, the "chairman" has dispatched "case workers" or some may call "angels" to nudge or direct key people in order to guarantee that these predestined happenings occur. When the master plan gets derailed or goes off-course, a special group of individuals (men in hats) called "The Adjustment Bureau" is called upon to correct the timeline. In the scenario of this film, it's a "second chance" meeting of Norris and the ballerina. The Master Plan has it preordained that these two individuals should never come in contact again. However, no matter how hard the "Adjustment Bureau" tries to redirect, hinder, or disrupt these two from coming in contact…. An even larger force or entity seems determined to bring the two back together. AND THIS IS WHERE THIS MOVIE GOES TO HELL IN A HAND BASKET!!! Instead of this force or entity being some sort of "anti-chairman", bent on the destruction of mankind… it's the power of LOVE that cannot be stopped…. OMG, PLEASEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! So when the Norris character (Damon) is given the option of never seeing the ballerina again, or it could mean the end of civilization as we know it; he opts for being with the girl!!! And that my friends, is where the film spirals into mediocrity!!! What occurs next is a ridiculous chase through a series of "magical doors" in which only "men with hats" can manipulate; and if this sounds ludicrous, IT'S BECAUSE IT IS!!!! How a movie with so much potential, could turn into such a pile of drivel, I will never know…. I cannot / will not recommend this film, and would avoid at all cost!!!

Tip of the hat

Author: kosmasp
18 December 2011

You could either cherish the good things the movie has to offer (light sci-fi, enjoyable thrills, actors with chemistry and the romantic theme) or you could bash it for its downfalls (not that deep, plot holes, maybe even inconsistencies in the story). It's up to you. As you can see, I rated it high. Why? Because I was entertained and that weighed more for me than any of the weak points the movie had.

Still even President Obama had a stab at the movie (after he heard that Matt Damon was disappointed in his presidential efforts, Obama stated in one of his speeches, that he could say the same about Damon, mentioning the Adjustment Bureau). Still the source material is strong enough to justify at least one viewing :o)

It makes me wonder....

Author: Angelica Infozino from United States
15 August 2011

The Adjustment Bureau, directed by George Nolfi, is an action packed romance movie that captivates from beginning to end. David Norris (Matt Damon) is a rising New York politician who has a chance meeting with a professional dancer, Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt) that completely changes his life. The two fall madly in love and must deal with divine powers trying to keep them apart in a battle between free will and fate. This is a thought provoking film which challenges personal beliefs regarding a higher power and creates an interesting plot. Although I believe in free will, the possibility of "Adjusters" or "Angels" guiding our lives and keeping us on a predetermined path is intriguing. It makes me wonder what my life would look like if I chose another path or had an "Adjuster" correcting my mistakes.

The chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt is intense and enhances the believability of David and Elise's emotions. The intimacy and impulsiveness of their first kiss leaves me feeling like they are meant to be together. Although this adds to the predictability of the ending, I appreciate David's determination to win Elise. Since I am a hopeless romantic, watching a man fight for the love of his life is very appealing.

The cinematography is very well done and the special effects create a visually exciting chase scene through Manhattan. The seamless transition as the characters move supernaturally through doors all over the city is mesmerizing. After living and working in Manhattan for many years, the backdrop evokes a feeling of nostalgia and makes me a little biased towards movies set in New York City. The music of Thomas Newman, one of my favorite film score composers, is engaging and compliments the feeling of romance between David and Elise, as well stimulates the action scenes throughout the film.

The Adjustment Bureau is entertaining and emotionally gratifying with a love conquers all theme. I look forward to watching again.

The Adjustment Bureau. Dir. George Nolfi. Perf. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt: 2011, Film.

deeply intriguing and enthralling

Author: simona gianotti from Italy
18 June 2011

Can we plan our destiny, or is our destiny predetermined by forces outside our will? This is the main point of this science-fiction thriller, where the romance between David and Elise captured me so much as to make my attention concentrate more on the extremely attractive couple Damon-Blunt than on that central issue. Their chemistry works out effectively, never seen such a lovable Damon before, with such a charming smile, Emily Blunt proves mysterious and attractive as usual, so when they lips first meet, something explosive is ignited. The central issue is of course not original, but interesting in the intriguing and breathtaking way it is represented, without moving too far to any conclusion. Certainly free will is eagerly supported, certainly the movie sides with the need to dare and not to be afraid to follow what you think important for your life, against all more or less reasonable obstacles, even against your destiny, mainly when the love of your life is involved. The story proceeds with a quick, intriguing pace, the science-fiction and the romance, the supernatural and the realistic blend perfectly, on the stage of a wonderful and an ever-enchanting New York, keeping the viewer always captivated and entertained, and making the movie really enjoyable from the beginning till the end.

I did not buy the romance

Author: Mutlut Turk from North Korea
9 September 2011

Sorry but Matt is not a good choice for being a Romeo who gives up politics for his love of his life.. I don't buy it, and all the romantic scenes flaws very badly, no electric between the boy and the girl, and no any romance.. So since they do not suggest a deep love, I do not buy the rest, either. In my opinion, for example Richard Gere would suit this movie much better.. he is a better actor in terms of showing his feelings. He might make this one a deeper movie. Don't think that I don't like Matt, he is a better actor for action adventure movies. I love his spy movies, but come on, this movie, the story is built up on a deep lovers who can not reach out, and if you cant show it, then the movie collapses.

7.1... I Feel Like I'm Taking Crazy Pills

Author: bl-606-352256
3 September 2011

Summary: The premise is the worst I ever heard of, the plot is lame, and the film ended really poorly. You didn't get sucked into the world of the film, the special effects and action are not cool. There was bad acting. At this point there is nothing worth seeing about the film besides Damon acting well and a typical love story, but this was supposed to be a thriller. This movie would be a waste of drugs if you thought they could aid in making it watchable. This movie isn't romantic enough to make your girl swoon at any point. You will never say "That was awesome", you may laugh at the stupidity of the film or simply say "I don't care about this $#*+"

Here's why this film will disappoint you for watching it:

Ending: Cop-out and includes an infuriatingly cheesy life philosophy. This ending alone would ruin even a good film.

Big Bad Guy: Will not scare you. Doesn't do much.

Special Effects: Doors open to different places than they should. This is the big special effect in the movie, it is not noteworthy and not a reason this film is worth seeing. Other special effects are not interesting and few and far between.

Poor acting: If you weren't a main character, you got typical confident bad guy lines. These lines were delivered very flat and made the characters forgettable.

Bad guy's kryptonite: Dumb enough to embarrass you for watching. I won't spoil the film, but there are two and both of them should have been left out because they never mattered. They seemed to be added as an afterthought or got bungled in production and are some artifact of a more thought out plot device.

Plot Hole: Hard not to make this a spoiler....they were larger holes than are usually acceptable, not even being picky here 1.) Something all knowing didn't know something very obvious 2.) If you invited me to your house and I decided to light all the furniture on fire, would your response be "When you're done using that lighter, could you help me put out these fires?"