IMDb > The Adjustment Bureau (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adjustment Bureau

The Adjustment Bureau More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 42: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

What a load off....

Author: noelmckeown from Ireland
25 March 2011

Me and my friends went to see this tonight only because i checked the rating on IMDb, what is wrong with you people, its the biggest heap of rubbish I've seen in a long while, me and my friends considered leaving, it was so bad. at least we got a good laugh taking the Mick out of it after.

I mean angels that go around like 50's style feds and have a book full of schematics or piping drawings or whatever they were, ipad2 or something,on your life, then towards the end, with the dick Tracey magic hats that can open doors to anywhere...phew, it just sucked, I like sci-fi a lot but not garbage like this, same with tron, biggest piece of junk but load of duds on IMDb think its really good.

Ya the premise that your faith is in some other guys hands, hang on, the chairman's, don't go see this...

Clunky and dire.

Author: anthonythom from Sydney, Australia
3 March 2011

What is wrong with Hollywood? There must thousands of original scripts floating out there, why did they have to choose this awful piece of trash? The plot makes no sense, much of it is poorly acted and I do suspect the movie thinks it is more clever than it really is.

I welcome anything that doesn't involve Angelina Jolie playing a beautiful spy, Jack Black playing an apparently funny dufus lead or Katherine Heigel playing in a romantic comedy. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised with my reaction to this film - here we have Matt Damon playing the flawed but all-round good guy dealing with yet another conspiracy against him.

Emily Blunt was great - she's the only reason this film rates a 2/10 with me. Matt Damon? Hmfff... Next time try something that actually stretches your acting abilities next time.

Thinking up the title is the only merit of this film!

Author: saronic6 from Greece
3 March 2011

The film deals with two very important philosophical matters (forces that control the destiny of all men and use of free will) in a very frivolous way.This is very curious for a movie that cost over 50.000.000 dollars.The script doesn't have major plot twists.The characters are one-dimensional,which is a huge drawback for a thriller with almost no action.

There is no emotional stimulation for the spectators.There isn't even the slightest passion between the two lovers,so the film doesn't have an impact as a love story either.

Matt Damon is efficient as always,but the rest of the actors and actresses offer very unmemorable performances.

The direction is uninspired.There isn't any visual satisfaction either,although the film belongs in a genre with opulent visual delights.

If you want to see a powerful love story in the form of a thriller,"The next three days" is a must.You won't regret it...

The film was on the shelves for quite some time before its release.I think that this fact means a lot... No rabbits out of these hats!

Think Charade meets The Matrix in 2011

Author: videobrooklyn from United States
19 February 2011

The Adjustment Bureau

Think a scripted blending of "Charade" (1963) meets "The Matrix" (1999), and you have an idea of the plot that is the basis for "The Adjustment Bureau." (2011) All three films revolve around romance, suspense and a heightened sense of place. In "The Adjustment Bureau" New York City is almost a third character, and spotting cameo appearances by East coast media elites (past and present) is a side game. Humor is also an element of this story, although it sometimes undercuts the power of the suspense and romance that I imagine is the film's intended tone.

There are engaging performances to recommend the film, such as those by stars Matt Damon and Emily Blunt; as well as supporting actors Anthony Mackie, John Slattery, and the ever dangerously sexy Terrence Stamp.

All the witty repartee between characters, the striking views of New York City, and the driving pulse of the soundtrack make "The Adjustment Bureau" an entertaining film, but not so well pulled together that it demands great thought and consideration after the screening is over.

Author: Frederick Smith from United States
10 June 2012

In case you are not aware of it, this makes Phillip K. Dick officially one of the most influential storytellers in the last 50 years. His books have inspired such Sci Fi classics as Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, and now, the Adjustment Bureau. At least 19 films and television episodes have been created from his works.

The story is an interesting take on the notion there is a God in the universe who is carefully directing the actions and happenings on the planet. Here, of course, the element of 'faith' is removed and instead the Chairman makes plans and has the Adjustment Bureau to make sure the plans are kept on track. These 'agents' merely interfere when they need to, making suggestions that set actions in place. Theology is not in the plan, just a pattern to prevent mankind from becoming extinct by their own hand.

This is a different type of Sci Fi film, and it would take an actor with the flexibility of Matt Damon to play David Norris. His confident yet humble portrayal of the politician is riveting and interesting throughout. Emily Blunt portrays the blossoming ballerina with verve and appeal, sort of a cross between the focused artist and the determined woman who puts her career ahead of herself. Anthony Mackie and John Slattery work well as the adjustment agents sent to sidetrack Norris from reaching Elise.

Overall, the film moves well, offers some interesting twists, and allows us the interesting perspective of predestination without the burden of deity. Rated PG-13 for language, some sexuality, and a few brief scenes of violence, I personally can't think of a single scene that would be too intense for a ten year old. Collectible is a little early to say, but certainly a film you will want to see again.

The Observers.. um, Adjusters, are watching you!

Author: Girish Gowda from BengaLuru, Karnataka
15 March 2012

Are the choices we make really made on our own free will or is it all fate, predestined and set in stone no matter how hard we try to escape it? In "The Adjustment Bureau", a rising politician, David Norris (Matt Damon) bumps into a ballerina, Elise (Emily Blunt) in the strangest of places under the strangest of circumstances and they are immediately attracted to each other. Even though mysterious men (The Adjusters) are dead set on keeping them apart, they keep bumping into each other by chance. Finally, one of the stranger mysterious guys kidnap him and lay it all in front of him. They are the course correctors of the world. Whenever they hand over free will to humans from the heights of human advancements, we inevitably decline into anarchy, the Dark Ages and world wars. He realizes the gravity of the situation where his and Elise's entire starlit future will no longer be a possibility if they fall in love. In the face of overwhelming odds, either he must let her go and accept his fate or risk everything to be with her and push their career into an abyss.

People who haven't watched 'Fringe' are calling this movie imaginative and intriguing, while I'd say its derivative of a far greater work. The Adjustment Bureau in the movie is quite obviously fashioned along the lines of Fringe's "OBSERVERS". The differences being the notable not-balded heads, the use of 'portal doors' and The Adjusters being more or less angels. The Observers though, are obviously much more better written than The Adjusters who seem very non-threatening. Implying God as the Chairman was really funny to me. It made the movie less suspenseful than it should have been. Then there's a plot deviation in the middle when its revealed that David and Elise were meant to be together in all the previous plans, but the plan was changed suddenly. So, now they were meant to be with different people. This brings up the whole - Why the hell did the Chairman change the plan in the first place!! Thus, David and Elise, when you think about it, never had any free will to fall in love with each other since the remnants of the previous plans were subconsciously in their minds.

Most people are comparing this movie to Inception which is highly unfair since its not an all out intelligent action/sci-fi thriller. But, if this is the kind of stories 'Inception' helps bring about in Hollywood, then its a step in the right direction. Let me be clear, I really liked the movie, but the potential it had was never quite achieved. Why did the Adjustors want humans to have a better life? What was their interest in all this? It was never explained. They didn't delve into the philosophical or sci-fi aspects of the story. The first half was far superior to the latter half of the movie. Also it didn't help with the fact that the gorgeous Emily Blunt is just the arm candy for Matt Damon and is completely under utilized, barring a few scenes. Matt Damon is perfect in his portrayal as always. By far, the breakout character being the Adjuster, Harry (Anthony Mackie) who goes against the rules and helps David Norris in his quest. In retrospect, his was the only arc where the philosophical and moral conundrum in following God's plans was even remotely touched upon (same storyline is done better in 'Supernatural'). This movie is just another 'love triumphs over all hardships' with a sci-fi/supernatural twist. Could have been done better, but its enjoyable nonetheless.

Him Verse The World

Author: kdorsey321 from United States
9 January 2012

My next movie review is going to be on the film "The Adjustment Bureau," starring Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, and Anthony Mackie. My very first thoughts when I saw this movie coming out is that it looks different. As a movie watcher you always want something different. Something that no one has came up with. As viewers we crave that, and that's what I believed I saw when I watched the previews for this movie.

This movie is about a man(Matt Damon) that is just living his life and finds out that there is a higher power that regulates what goes on in everyone's life. He doesn't like there game and he wants to make his own rules. Through his journey he meets a woman and they challenge the higher power to try and stop some adjustments that they have(Matt Damon and woman) made. Who knows if they'll be able to live to tell this story...

I liked the movie. This movie was different. I was expecting a little more, but I'm satisfied with what I got. For some reason I was expecting some kind of twist or something. Yet and still, I feel like this was a very good movie. This movie does make you think though. This is a movie that conspiracy theorist will go crazy for. I'm almost positive there are many of them referring to this movie to prove some kind of point. For the average viewer I approve this movie and I also feel like it is DVD worthy. This is a movie that can go into your collection, without feeling like you have to just buy the movie because you are a big Matt Damon fan. I'm giving this movie a 8 out of 10.

The Adjustment Bureau has an intriguing premise that seemed only partially successful in execution

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
23 September 2011

Knowing this was adapted from a Philip K. Dick story, I knew that the premise of this movie was a little out there. Matt Damon plays a career politician who loses an election and accidentally encounters a pretty woman entering the men's room. She's played by Emily Blunt and we later find out she's a ballet dancer with ambitions of her own. Both seem smitten but there's these men in business suits and hats that are attempting to prevent this romance from blossoming. Why? Well, it seems there are some plans involved from up above...Quite entertaining what with the story, dialogue, acting, and an exciting chase though I did wonder if there really was a point to all the exposition that resulted. Still, it wasn't too bad and I'll maybe watch this again one day so on that note, The Adjustment Bureau is worth a look.

I wouldn't classify it as sci-fi

Author: Jenny Rose from Dallas, TX
19 September 2012

The Adjustment Bureau works behind the scenes arranging people's fate. But David Norriss wants to control his own fate. He manages to catch the Bureau in the act of "adjusting" his fate and is threatened to never speak of it and to stay away from a woman he has just met. The Bureau attempts to enforce this separation but Norriss avoids them and foils their varied efforts.

I was expecting a sci-fi thriller, but instead found romantic and religious mush. Was it a stab at the Greek gods, God, a debate personified, or the visual musings of the existence of any supreme being. It really wasn't worth my time or money.

Tip of the hat

Author: kosmasp
18 December 2011

You could either cherish the good things the movie has to offer (light sci-fi, enjoyable thrills, actors with chemistry and the romantic theme) or you could bash it for its downfalls (not that deep, plot holes, maybe even inconsistencies in the story). It's up to you. As you can see, I rated it high. Why? Because I was entertained and that weighed more for me than any of the weak points the movie had.

Still even President Obama had a stab at the movie (after he heard that Matt Damon was disappointed in his presidential efforts, Obama stated in one of his speeches, that he could say the same about Damon, mentioning the Adjustment Bureau). Still the source material is strong enough to justify at least one viewing :o)