IMDb > The Adjustment Bureau (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adjustment Bureau

The Adjustment Bureau More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 41: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Bhuu-ahahahahahaha!

Author: Mino
7 April 2011

Until yesterday when I wasted 2 hours of my life I was totally unaware of this Nolfi fellow. The Sentinel, Oceans 95210's, Bourne Ultimatum...Well, all of these would have served me as a fair warning, but I was oblivious. Shame on me, because I had seen them all, and the man has absolutely no clue about what he's writing about. Paper thin characters, ludicrous story, and laughable cardboard cliché dialog. Sample: "All I have are the choices I make, and I choose her, come what may." Well, Tarantino's certainly got nothing on you, Nolfi...

For those who are not familiar with Nolfi's oeuvre, here making his unfortunate directorial debut, expect a simple plot, no surprises, nothing new, nothing deep, nothing funny, no new filming technique, a fair insipid Damon, a fair Blunt, no chemistry whatsoever, no opportunity for chemistry whatsoever, a tired and apathetic Stamp, and a ludicrously adapted K.Dick story, some basic elements borrowed from "Dark City" 1998(men in hats which adjust us while we sleep), and "The Lost Room" 2006(doors which lead to far places) which unfolds like a soap opera episode of The Young and the Restless. Expect an uninspired soundtrack, and no twist. Yeah, that's right, there is no twist. And expect John Slattery with all the wardrobe from Mad Men. I guess with the recession and all, they thought of a way to keep the suits in rotation to maximize rentability. In a nutshell, expect no reason to remain seated and continue watching.

Pff, I'm not even having fun dissing it...Avoid like bird crap on a blue obnoxious hat...

Bo-riiiing! Nolfi, noted. No more surprises.

Call me a sap, but it worked for me

Author: rzajac from Taichung, Taiwan
7 March 2011

There's a strain in the comments to the effect that the purity of Dick's message got sold out by the treatment. So I watched it with some wariness.

But in the end, it worked for me. Yeah, the cinematic realization of the concept of spiritual intervention was kinda sorta klunky... Although I would be utterly tragically hip if I failed to tip my hat to the flash of campy sight-gagging on that theme! And, in the end, it was worth the investment of suspension of disbelief.

Not the greatest venue for Damon's cache and skills, but not too chabby, either. At the end of the movie, I was quite touched and taken by the moral of the story. The proof lies in the following pudding: Given that there is no Adjustment Bureau, does the moral still ring true?

*** Spoiler Alert ***

. . .

"Waking Life" said that "dream is destiny". But is Dick (and this movie) more aware of the underlying truth? Is the key to destiny really love?

***spoilers off***: I gave this an 8 merely because I feel that psychothriller sci-fi rarely overcomes its idiomatic commitments to reality-basis to truly transcend and become timeless art. Though The Adjustment Bureau gave me a run for my money, my expectations weren't entirely exploded. If they had been, it would've gotten a 9 or 10.

Clunky and dire.

Author: anthonythom from Sydney, Australia
3 March 2011

What is wrong with Hollywood? There must thousands of original scripts floating out there, why did they have to choose this awful piece of trash? The plot makes no sense, much of it is poorly acted and I do suspect the movie thinks it is more clever than it really is.

I welcome anything that doesn't involve Angelina Jolie playing a beautiful spy, Jack Black playing an apparently funny dufus lead or Katherine Heigel playing in a romantic comedy. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised with my reaction to this film - here we have Matt Damon playing the flawed but all-round good guy dealing with yet another conspiracy against him.

Emily Blunt was great - she's the only reason this film rates a 2/10 with me. Matt Damon? Hmfff... Next time try something that actually stretches your acting abilities next time.

Interesting premise sacrificed to silly clichéd love story

Author: benzing from Troy, NY
18 February 2011

I saw this at a preview screening. The premise of mysterious strangers controlling our destiny comes from the eccentric imagination of Phillip K. Dick; everything else in the movie is cookie cutter Hollywood fluff. None of the characters are remotely believable either in their everyday lives or in the nonchalant reactions to learning mind bending secrets about themselves and human destiny. What could have been an entertaining and creepy paranoid fantasy instead becomes a by the numbers sermon on the power of "true love" (which seems to refer to the infatuation you experience after spending a few hours engaging in cute banter and rolling in the hay with a virtual stranger). Has a number of unintentional laughs, not the least of which involves a character recounting a skewed history of the human race that ignores everything outside of Western Europe and America. Beyond all the silliness and the immaturity of the script, however, what really surprised me was how lazy it all felt. The performances were lackluster, the tense scenes were boring, the love story was passionless, the fantasy elements pedestrian. Towards the end I thought we might be at least being heading toward something really outrageous, but even that turned out to be a false hope.

What a load off....

Author: noelmckeown from Ireland
25 March 2011

Me and my friends went to see this tonight only because i checked the rating on IMDb, what is wrong with you people, its the biggest heap of rubbish I've seen in a long while, me and my friends considered leaving, it was so bad. at least we got a good laugh taking the Mick out of it after.

I mean angels that go around like 50's style feds and have a book full of schematics or piping drawings or whatever they were, ipad2 or something,on your life, then towards the end, with the dick Tracey magic hats that can open doors to anywhere...phew, it just sucked, I like sci-fi a lot but not garbage like this, same with tron, biggest piece of junk but load of duds on IMDb think its really good.

Ya the premise that your faith is in some other guys hands, hang on, the chairman's, don't go see this...

IMDb ratings reflect the colossal stupidity of the average movie goer

Author: Lobotomonster from Antartica
14 January 2012

You take a big budget - A list actors, a top sci-fi writer, a big-time city location etc... and what do you end up with? One of the stupidest movies EVER made. I had no idea what I was getting into when I sat down to watch this. I was under the assumption that this would be a movie about how sinister, evil organizations are secretly running our world (reality basically) and how a young do-gooder politician learns the truth and tries to fight against it... if only... Instead you get a lobotomized story about Men with Hats (not the safety dance ones either)that are agents of god who are working tirelessly (and falling asleep at the job) to rectify all the horrible mistakes that mankind continues to inflict upon the world. The Roman Empire - the agents set that one up... (because we all know how good that empire was... ;). The middle Ages? Well that was a big mess according to the "agents" so they brought us the enlightenment, reason, romanticism, the wonderful industrial revolution (in which children slavishly worked 16 hour days for the benefit of the wealthy). But then "they" let us take control again and we ended up with 2 world wars, Hitler, the great depression etc... Really? Well, I'll tell you I would barf out laughing if some fool in a fedora told me such pile of feces.. but Matt Damon's character buys it hook, line and sinker... So we get a movie that tries to tell us that everything is running according to a plan and that, if by some chance that plan gets disrupted... Well it involves a whole lot of fedora wearing men running around cities through doors... Oh yes... and how can I forget - the love story. Well take one cliché and add two parts cliché and a cherry cliché to top it off and you get that. So what do we learn? That handsome young politicians don't get married and wait for years riding the same bus every single day in order to run across the girl that shared a "moment" with him... Yeah... I buy that. Oh... but God doesn't want these two together (cue the fedoras!) so he sends his agents to disrupt any chance at love these two might have.... And that's your movie folks... And it gets a 7.1 rating on IMDb. If you reversed the number (1.7) you would have the CORRECT score. Just terrible.

And now something completely different... (of Philip K. Dick)

Author: saul-cepeda (saul.cepeda@gmail.com) from Spain
8 March 2011

We have here smart and smooth dialog, ontological arguments, great acting, sci-fi, clever editing, space-time dimensions and an inspiring love story. After watching the trailer, when I hear Philip K. Dick + George Nolfi (Bourne's Ultimatum, Ocean's 12, ¡Timeline!...), something disturbing came to my mind: a kind of Dark City-Paycheck hybrid... Nothing further from the truth.

The adaptation of PKD's short stories for the screen has no newness, but do it in a completely new shape within a romantic-comedy-like film (preserving all the Chaos Theory/Free Will/Determinism leitmotiv of the text) is a show worth seeing.

A thriller with no 'baddies'

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
29 December 2011

The blurb on the DVD cover describes this as 'Bourne meets Inception', so as I enjoyed those films I was keen to see this. While there are similarities I must say I thought this was much lighter fare; that's not to say I didn't enjoy it though. At first it looked as this would be a political thriller; with candidate for the US Senate David Norris faces a surprise defeat. As he tries to compose his thoughts in the gents he is interrupted by a mysterious woman, before he gets chance to learn who she is he has to go. He doesn't expect to see her again but some time later he bumps into her on a New York bus, this time he gets her name (Elise) and number. He doesn't get chance to call her though as things suddenly get very strange for him; he gets to work and finds everybody frozen and strange men capture him and explain that it is their job to make sure that everything that is meant to happen does happen… and he was not meant to meet Elise! They take her number but he is determined to find her and one day three years later he does, their problems are only just beginning however as The Adjustment Bureau haven't given up their plans to keep them apart.

I really enjoyed this; Matt Damon but in a fine performance as David Norris and Emily Blunt was suitably beguiling as Elise. Other notable performances include Anthony Mackie as the Bureau man responsible for Norris and Terrance Stamp for played one of his superiors. There was enough excitement without having the action swamp the plot and character development. It also made a nice change for there to be no real bad guys in a film like this… The Bureau may have been against the protagonist's plans but their motivation was never sinister. I also liked that no attempt was made to explain how things worked; we were told the Bureau men's hats enabled then to use doors to travel across the city but no time was wasted giving reasons; it just had to be accepted. Over all it was a lot of fun; I'd certainly recommend it.

Yes the romance is nice but the idea is lost and presented with such blandness that it is hard to care

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
6 November 2011

This film offers an interesting idea regarding an unworldly force that nudges and directs the path all of our lives take, it could have done a lot with it but what it decides to do is make a romantic film within this plot. Now there is nothing wrong with that in and of itself but someone should really have a word with the marketing department who decided that a concept-thriller would be easier to sell, since that is very much the film they set their campaign around – not this one. Anyway, cheap marketing aside, I came to this film on DVD with the trailers a long distance memory and average word of mouth having lowered my expectations somewhat.

The film starts with some spark and drive to it as we are introduced to the characters and have the curtains pulled back to reveal what is really going on and the power that "they" have. At this point I was interested but as the film progressed this was slowly worn out of me. Some will say this is because I am not a romantic; while that may well be true I did actually like the romance between David and Elise, it was well played and the two had that sort of spark that was required to make me believe in them after so little time, so my problem with the film isn't that the central motivator for the events is this potential love between them. No, my problem with the film is with what it does with the idea itself – which is practically nothing.

The film has very little pace and generally it drags itself along with the audience always looking over their shoulder to see where the film is – we're already 2 steps ahead and it would be lovely if the film at very least kept up with us. It doesn't though, it plays its spiritual card very early on and it never presents a real danger or threat to be overcome – the men in hats never come off as controlling or a threat or even anything close, at worst they come off as stuffy old kill-joys and in this way they make a poor "opposition" for our protagonist. I'm not suggesting I needed this to be an action movie, but the lack of any sort of sense of threat or urgency really hurts the film because this "idea" is the majority of the film, not the romance – so to mess up the basis for your film is not going to go well.

It is a credit to the on screen presence and charm of both Damon and Blunt that the romance side of the film works well, they both held my attention and kept me interested even when the rest of the film was so very light and surprisingly bland. Mackie, Slattery and Stamp deserved better – all three of them seemed to be phoning it in without anything really going on in their performances, only the odd flutter of urgency gave them good moments but otherwise they are let down. And they are let down by writer/director Nolfi; this guy has been the writer on a couple of big money-makers but he has done himself no favours with this effort – he loses the idea and gets tied up with the romance, forgetting that the idea is the story, not the romance. He lets his cast down and he lets the audience down – it still all looks expensive and professionally done, but this is for little comfort when the story-telling is so fluffed.

The Adjustment Bureau may well be built on a good idea (I will find and read Adjustment Team) but it does very little with it. The romance at the core is engaging but the idea is lost and is handled badly. There is little of interest, threat or pace about it; it isn't a terrible film by any means, it is just so average and lacking in edge that I really found it hard to care – and the fact that I was often ahead of it in regards narrative really didn't help either.

boring and anticlimactic

Author: phd_travel from United States
10 September 2011

Don't bother to watch this silly yawn of a movie. It's neither here nor there. This movie is totally missable. The story is weak and the cast is totally wrong for their parts. There is no chemistry between the leads. Matt Damon looks too boyish for a senator and is a bit small sized for Emily. Emily looks a bit cross eyed and doesn't have that lean look of a ballerina. Serious miscasting. The running around and doors are repetitive and the passing of time is abrupt. The ending is a let down. Just a silly far fetched waste of time. The basic premise makes no sense if you think about it. Can't imagine why people went to see this dud and the box office was so respectable.