IMDb > The Adjustment Bureau (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adjustment Bureau

The Adjustment Bureau More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 41: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

bad movie, do not waste your time

Author: varera-704-448021 from Switzerland
19 June 2011

i cannot believe all the good reviews here. so not true.

the idea is good, but the realization of it is too poor to bother.

the movie is slow, boring and flat. there is no intrigue. the story is too obvious. there are no jokes, there is no romance, not a real one. the characters are not convincing, even if played right. neither one of them is even close to be alive.

what is this movie about? the things mentioned there: politics( not about them), manipulating people (nope), dancing (not even close), love (there is no love, even if they say the "l" word), fate vs luck (only my bad luck to watch this one)? this is not even about people directing your lives without you mentioning it.

the trailer was good though. too good if compared to the movie itself.

i feel sorry for the actors, seriously. they should be bored to death in the studio. it is a miracle they managed to finish the shooting.

it could be a good action movie or a good romance movie, or both, if written and directed right. shame it did not happen.

and you know how it end after watching the first 10 minutes of it, including the trailers and commercial.

bottom line: i feel bad about spending almost 2 hours of my life watching it. stay away, if you can.

An excellent sci-fi film

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
18 June 2011

I like the novels and short stories from author Philip K. Dick (1928-1982), but my expectations before watching the movies based on his work are always low, because even though I liked some of them very much (Blade Runner, A Scanner Darkly and Total Recall), I found other ones to be atrocious pieces of crap (Impostor and Paycheck). I think that the difficulty for adapting his work to the big screen does not only lie on his febrile vision and extravagant ideas, but also on the use of narrative structures which challenge the unavoidable formulas from the cinematographic screenplay. So, even though his books and short stories might seem like a good starting point for a film, they sometimes loose the "magic", because they are forced to fit into the rigid Hollywood parameters. So, I was not surprised to find that the film The Adjustment Bureau has very few in common with the short story Adjustment Team, on which it was supposedly based; on the other hand, what did surprise me was to find a brilliant movie on its own merit, whose combination of science fiction and romance feels perfectly integrated and intelligently written.

It is convenient not to reveal too much about the screenplay from The Adjustment Bureau, because I liked discovering the clues and revelations about the "agents" at the same time of the main characters very much. I also liked the way in which the movie denies itself to bring a definite answer about the "agents", preferring to designate divergent routes in order to let the spectators to draw conclusions according to their own ideology. That same balance between the evident and the implicit extends to the other elements from the screenplay, so The Adjustment Bureau can leave equally satisfied to those who are only searching to spend a time of adventure, romance and suspense; and to those ones who want to analyze the concepts from the story deeply, speculating about all those things which are suggested, but not explained.

As I mentioned in many occasions, I am not a big fan of romantic cinema, and I think that that is because I rarely feel it real and sincere. There are many movies which limit themselves to present us an attractive couple and expect us to accept their relationship without questioning their reasons and credibility. On the opposite, The Adjustment Bureau rounds on an intense and credible romance between the characters interpreted by Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, who both have a perfect chemistry with each other, and also make a great work at bringing a genuine life to their characters' feelings. I will not deny the fact that the story occasionally makes us to take a leap of faith, but I did not have any problem in accepting the mutual chemistry between the main characters. In fact, it was indispensable for it to be so, because the romance is not an ornament of the screenplay, but its absolute axis, and if it had not worked, the rest of the movie would have collapsed due to a lack of cohesion. Besides, I found the metaphysical aspect from The Adjustment Bureau to be very interesting.

The only complaint I have against The Adjustment Bureau is that the ending is a bit convenient. In spite of that, I liked this film very much, and I was not bothered at all by the lack of the bizarre elements from the short story in order for it to forge its own style and create a fascinating world inhabited by solid and interesting characters. Besides of the performances from Damon and Blunt, I also liked the work from John Slattery, Anthony Mackie and the great Terence Stamp. Director George Nolfi had an excellent debut with The Adjustment Bureau, and I will definitely look forward to his next projects.

A must for all right wing Christian fanatics (spoiler alert)

Author: fastninja from Sweden
17 June 2011

As a European I can't help feeling a bit nauseated when I saw this movie. What first seems to be a story of impossible love turns out to be religious pro-American nonsense. What this movie basically says is that GOD is on Americas side. So much so that he/she/it takes a personal interest in a young and upcoming politician (Damon) and alters events in he's life so that he can be groomed into becoming the next president. Because America is SO important that if the right president isn't elected, the world will go belly up. I can think of a few other nations where Gods intervention would be more needed. Like N. Korea, China, Iran to name a few. Didn't the world get enough "god is on our side" crap" when George W. Bush was in office? What's really sad is to see Matt Damon in this pile of crap.

Bureaucratic Adjustments

Author: ZorgLuBB from Iceland
16 June 2011

First off, Matt Damon portraying a suit & tie congressman, I didn't buy it and I was constantly aware of this throughout the movie, he never looked comfortable in his suit (and certainly not running in it) I like Damon but I think he was miscast in this movie. I would have gone for someone more charming, like Hugh Jackman, Ewan McGregor or Eric Bana.

The idea of the office angels and their adjustments was interesting, making them look and operate like a big firm with a chairman was kind of clever but in my opinion it took all the mystery and charm out of it. In a couple of warehouse type scenes I thought there were too many of them as well, just standing around trying to look menacing. The riot- cop-angel types I also found unnecessary and quite silly, they seemed only to be there for the trailer to look more like a Bourne action movie.

Terence Stamp was excellent as always.

So, interesting idea, and maybe if done differently, a little adjustment to the story, casting or directing, could have made for a decent film.

Avoid

Author: madhurmerchant from Chicago, United States
15 June 2011

The Adjustment Bureau: What I thought it was going to be: A sweet sci-fi flick where Matt Damon is a chiropractor by day and a kickass superhero by night, adjusting bad guys' faces with his awesome fists. What it ended up being: A sh1tty chick flick where a whiny Matt Damon "fights" angels (no joke) who are trying to keep him away from some skank that he met in the men's bathroom. I wish I was making this sh!t up.

The first two minutes were quite promising and thus the movie earns a 4.The movie fails even as a chick flick. The script completely broke down towards the end - to a point where it was almost uncomfortable to watch.

Nice concept but could've have been better...

Author: prateak gauchan from Nepal
13 June 2011

¨All I have are the choices I make, and I choose her, come what may.¨ Ever since Adam and Eve we've never liked to be told what to do, but what would happen if all our decisions were somehow manipulated by some sort of power to make us act in a certain way without us not even realizing it? In other words, we think we have free will and we believe we make our own choices, but what if someone was making small adjustments behind our backs to make sure we followed a certain path? Those are the questions The Adjustment Bureau raises in this science- fiction romantic movie. Rookie director, George Nolfi (known for writing Ocean's Twelve and adapting the screenplay for The Bourne Ultimatum), does a great job at combining two unrelated genres such as science- fiction and romance and meshing them together to create this thought provoking film.

Matt Damon plays a young politician named David Norris, running for Senator in New York. On election night while he is preparing his defeat speech he runs into Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt) in the men's restroom. There is a strong instant chemistry between them and they share a passionate kiss together, but are suddenly interrupted by security guards who were looking for Elise because she got caught crashing a wedding in the same building. David is so inspired by the kiss that he gives one of his best and most authentic speeches ever, but he can't stop thinking of Elise. Everything isn't what it seems and there are some mysterious people behind the scenes making sure everyone is following the right path. Richardson (John Slattery) and Harry (Anthony Mackie) have been following David everywhere and seem to know what decisions he is going to make and they try to manipulate them. We later find out that they work for a mysterious agency known as the Adjustment Bureau, who make adjustments in order to keep people on track so they won't deviate from the intended plan. David and Elise are not intended to be with each other, it isn't written on the books for them so Harry is ordered to keep him away from her so he will continue on the ¨right path.¨ Something goes wrong and the two meet again, only this time the agents have to make amends and end up telling David who they really are. David isn't willing to go along with the plan because he believes in free will, so the agency has to bring out their big gun, Thompson (Terence Stamp), in order for the pair to break up. The question now is: can love conquer predestination?

The movie isn't deep, but it does manage to leave you thinking quite a bit, and that is always a plus. It is original and intense. It also raises questions about free will, fate, soul mates, and predestination. We'd like to believe that all our decisions are based entirely on our free will, but even we admit that sometimes coincidences take place: for example we get on the wrong bus and run into someone we haven't seen in a long time. The Adjustment Bureau claims these ¨accidents¨ are actually planned most of the time and they serve to keep their subjects on the right path in order to fulfill their purpose.

The premise is good but the delivery poor, I liked the idea of a bureau that controls world destiny, but the dudes I saw in the movie could have been more slick more bad ass, when I finally settled down to accepting what was on the plate I realized half way through that nothing big was going to happen the story is simply about the bureau trying to keep Blunt's and Damon's characters apart. That was its main flaw. It din't have any twist at the end or anything BIG happening. And also the romance though its beautiful, I just din't understand how someone can fall in love so quickly so easily. These are the only problems with the movie.

Yet it is oddly enjoyable, since it is less a piece of science fiction than an old-fashioned romance between an aspiring politician and a successful dancer. Each of the leads is immensely watchable and genuinely talented and together they create real chemistry.

A pretty decent low key SF film. Nothing great, nothing earth shattering. But, if you want a break from all the action movies masquerading as SF, it's worth catching. I rate it 6 out of 10 for the original concept and performances.

Sometimes an idea is not enough

Author: artalmarcelo from Switzerland
13 June 2011

Especially in Science Fiction, to have a great idea is not enough. You have to build a story around that idea, cause if you don't, then the whole picture feels like it's out of place. I think this move was originally a great idea that didn't work just because they didn't find a good story to tell around it. As a result, when I watched it I felt it was too unreal. When you are in front of a good sci-fi movie, you really don't stop to think if it could be true, but you think yourself ¨what an amazing story¨. That doesn't happen here. Here, the guys with hats, the doors, and the whole fantastic environment around a real city feels like out of place. Feels like if in Driving Miss Daisy suddenly the car flies away. Good crazy ideas with great stories: Matrix, Inception, Stranger than Fiction, Cold Souls, The 13th Floor and Dark City (among others). The Adjustment Bureau is not in that group. A good idea in a bad story.

Diet Bulworth and Manic Pixie Dream Girl Literally Outrun Fate with a Hat

Author: jzappa from Cincinnati, OH, United States
21 May 2011

We open as Matt Damon, a surefire candidate for senator, is familiarized to us via a pretty uninspired hodgepodge that includes the as-themselves cameos we now wait for in politically themed films, to provide what might misguidedly be referred to as realism. But he loses his lead and, rehearsing his concession speech in a hotel restroom, discovers Emily Blunt hiding from security. Instantly attracted to each other, of course, they kiss before being interrupted, of course. But, inspired by this stranger's generic advice, he makes a truly candid speech that revitalizes his ratings. But he ends up falling for that fleeting woman, becoming increasingly distracted from his career, despite mysterious men collaborating to keep them apart.

Yes, they're agents of fate itself, so the lovers must either literally outrun it, or accept a predetermined path, which, ironically, the story unashamedly does almost from the get-go. And in due course, a characteristically paranoid Philip K. Dick tale about the easily broken textile of reality is reassessed as a comforting parable about true love's fortune and the correctness of the divine plan. This reassessment aspires to induce the intense visceral emotion of a high-flying romance that exceeds time, space and the natural order of things, but George Nolfi's writing is short of the crisp, relevant impact such material needs, which it isn't anyway when you already have a brilliant Dick story there's no legitimate worldly reason to substitute! And yet, the film still uses Dick's name, basically as an advertisement. Nolfi takes Dick's idea and runs, letting go of pages along the way, until he's left with only a torn title page, and a strained adjoining of two reasonably agreeable, remarkably featureless individuals that rouses none of the profound, awe-inspiring excitement essential in a storyline so deep in philosophy and metaphysics. Their rebellious romance never even moves much past the convention of the contrived encounter of two potential lovebirds in serendipitously unusual circumstances, followed by the contrived interval of mopey separation. It's but one de rigueur element of a script that grapples for a consistent shape, even resorting to Magical Negro and Retro Chic clichés, to significantly be about more than beautiful people fleeing from badass-looking bureaucrat-style villains through an expressive cityscape.

After the initial disappointment in the film's resorting to manipulative schmaltz, its social implications are no surprise. Whenever Blunt and Damon are broken away, he takes for granted that, unless he can find her again, he'll never see her again. Sure, it's hard to find a woman in NYC when you know nothing more about her than her first name. It's a comparatively trouble-free achievement, however, to locate a superstar Senate nominee. But regardless of the movie's depiction of Blunt as an independent, progressive chick, she never takes any enterprise in any way to reconnect with the love of her life, nor does it ever dawn on anyone that she could. When Damon loses her number, she sulks for three years! When he's forced to forsake her in a hospital, she waits, brokenhearted, for 11 more months. This one-sidedness is made unmistakable when a divine courier praises Damon for his determination against all chances and then praises Blunt for, well, going along. This rare dud in the fight-the-system disposition of films portrays itself as a tribute to forging one's own future, provided, namely, that you happen to be a guy.

But the point is that Dick's musings on celestial formalities have a mischievous, sardonic tone, and Nolfi's gratuitous revamping is less effective. The trilby hats, which grant extraordinary powers when worn by the members of the Bureau, and later the hero, are particularly difficult to take seriously! They're incapable of crossing interdimensional doorways that convey them instantaneously across Manhattan unless they're wearing, yes, their hats. But to be fair, on the whole, the script forces gullibility not with its offbeat imagination but with its dull particulars: We can't buy that security is in dogged search of this clearly harmless uninvited guest, nor, to name another plot point, are we persuaded that Damon's career would be wrecked by media hype about him mooning his college friends. If you're going to botch Dick, at least be as consistent as Dick.

This movie is for those who want to have their fate both ways. The movie sustains the notion that an omnipotent "Chairman" has a plan for our existence, yet this plan is not so inflexible that it excludes freedom. And yet when we seem to bring that self-rule to bear, we find we're still sticking to a master plan, one so vast even the "adjusters" working at Earth level can't keep a handle on it. Deus ex machina performs such a key function in the way events resolve that it's challenging to leave feeling anything other than resentful, like a potential piece of brilliance has been unkindly run off with.

Fate vs. Free Will, a thrilling tale

Author: creechm from United States
27 April 2011

The Adjustment Bureau is set in modern day New York as Matt Damon is on his way to winning a Senatorial seat. Damon meets a fantastic ballerina, Emily Blunt, and must fight Fate itself to stay with her or lose her forever.

Matt Damon and Emily Blunt were excellent choices for these two roles. Damon shows that he is able to be a strong fighter and a romantic. Emily Blunt shows how she can play the strong survivor and another strong fighter. These two performed their roles almost flawlessly.

I gave The Adjustment Bureau a 9/10. The acting was superb for most of the movie. However, there was the occasionally situation that seemed almost awkward. The movie is very intriguing and full of suspense. The mysterious nature of the Adjustment Bureau keeps the audience at the edge of its seat the entire movie. After the curtain falls, many will be left considering the conflict of fate and free will. Overall, this is a very entertaining and thought provoking family appropriate movie.

No real spice of substance

Author: RickHarvey from Stockport
27 March 2011

I had mix feeling after watching this and at times during it. Bascally it a love story mixed with sci fi. You could easily perceive this film as cheesy and ridiculous. The whole concept of angles dressed in 1940s noir wondering the streets of new york with dairy books in glued to their hands can be considered to be Far fetched.

The love element is fine. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt make a fine couple and the romance between them isn't mushy. The film runs at a steady pace with only the ending seeming rush. These angles who duty it to make sure that everyone stays on the right path in life, spend most of their time running after Matt Damon and failing to keep him a way from Blunt.

The Ending was a let down. Of course it all worked out for the couple but a more negative ending would of been more suited and brought a uniqueness to the film. Instead we get the most predictable ending Hollwodd could of made up.

Overall, Adjustment Bureau is a entertaining film with fine acting. If you take the concept for what it worth then no doubt you will enjoy it.