IMDb > The Adjustment Bureau (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adjustment Bureau

The Adjustment Bureau More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 41: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

Author: Queer-qatfm from Atlanta, GA
22 August 2011

It's excused if you didn't see The Adjustment Bureau in theaters. After all, adult hard sci-fi thrillers aren't exactly everyone's cup of tea. Ones that feature plenty of men in fedoras though, thankfully, are right up my alley. And seeing as this particular Adjustment Bureau is based on a Phillip K. Dick short story, I knew I would be in very good company.

See, what those guys wearing great head gear do is they open up their little nifty CG booklets and when someone does something they're not supposed to, they use all manners of tricks to get them back on course. Like a traffic tie up to cause you miss an important meeting you would have been made to look foolish for, only so that later during a reschedule you end up nailing a promotion. Or maybe during a chase, you'll slip and fall and lose sight of the one you are making eyes for on the train only to never see them again. It's a destiny vs free choice type situation, and I'm pretty well tugged in by Matt Damon's charismatic character.

He does end up having one of those moments when this girl is exactly what he feels he must have in this world. And, of course, those pesky people in fedoras keep trying to remind him, subtlety and then more aggressively otherwise, that not only will he not continue on his path of political fame if he peruses her, she'll miss out on her opportunities as well. So the question becomes not necessarily destiny vs free choice, but what's more important, goals and ambition or love sweet love.

Things get a little ripe and over the top the further down the rabbit hole Mr. Damon travels. We're given more and more world building and rules as we go along. Sometimes it feels they're just making stuff up to satisfy a plot, and I suppose that's mostly what such fantasy flicks are required to do. But it seems to much at times and I'm still not quite sure how much I'm falling for the romance angle that progressively gets harder to root for.

Still, one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Or a gift movie that's actually very entertaining throughout and provides more than its fair share of nail-biting suspenseful moments in the midst of good old fashioned adult storytelling. Characters are great, it's filmed well, and I'm so wanting to buy myself a fedora now.

This One Will Stick With You A Couple Days

Author: Film Watchin Fool from United States
21 August 2011

Watch this if...you want to watch a movie that will make you think and linger with you a day or two.

Acting/Casting: 7* - Damon and Blunt give solid performances.

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: *7 - Solid directing and cinematography. Had a few scenes that were reminiscent of Inception.

Plot/Characters: 7* - A extremely interesting film that really makes you think and a plot that hangs with you for a day or two after you watch the movie.

Entertainment Value: 7* - Again, a cool movie that has a plot that has value and keeps you interested throughout. I wouldn't mind seeing it again fairly soon.

My Score: 7+7+7+7 = 28/4 = 7.0

Email your thoughts to filmwatchinfool@gmail.com

More of a chick flick than a mindbender

Author: rys86 from United States
13 August 2011

I was expecting something along the lines of Inception, or the Source Code, or the Matrix..the concept is brilliant, but the love story pervades, and it washes away any other interesting avenues they should've explored.

I would compare the feel of this movie to something like Stranger Than Fiction, only it doesn't tie everything together at the end. (Stranger than Fiction is the better movie, by the way).

Leaving loose ends can be strategic -- but it is poorly executed in this film and it just makes you feel like you'd been tricked into watching something sub-par that SHOULD have been better.

Ordinary, significantly lacking depth

Author: dragoncurve-1 from Australia
12 August 2011

Expecting an intriguing thriller about the power of love conquering a conspiracy of faceless men, I was thoroughly disappointed.

While the plot should have made for a conflicting tail of human emotion versus a logical master plan, it left an empty, hollow feeling and lacked significant character and plot development.

Matt Damon's character, while portrayed as a confident, young aspiring politician, was enamored by an unlikely dancer, seemingly only after a few minutes of meeting one another. The romance between the two was hollow and even at the end seemed wrong. No character development of either main characters eventuated, nor did the relationship build which led the expected feeling of "love above all" a major anticlimax.

Couple that with the lack of suitable character development for the actual adjustment bureau, whereby seemingly confident men with a higher knowledge become useless, unimportant plot casualties, the entire movie lacked cohesion.

Very disappointed in what sounded like a real winner.

Fooled by misleading trailers into watching a bad movie!!!

Author: tokarczykbl from United States
7 August 2011

So when watching trailers for the movie I was thinking I was getting into an Inception meets the Bourne movie series....but....I was unfortunately wrong. What I got was a silly love story with Matt Damon. The acting was not horrible and that is the only reason it got a two star, but the story and plot itself was absurd. I mean how does a man fall in love with a woman hiding BAREFOOT in a men's bathroom stall. I hope he wasn't into any kind of foot fetish!!! The producers probably realized they had a bust on there hands and couldn't pitch it as a romance so they alluded to a darker thriller that may capitalize on the Bourne trilogy and Inception success. Don't what to waste too much time on this review, but I don't want viewers to waste their time either, so just go ahead a avoid this one.

Is this the door????..........to the exit from this mess?

Author: ebehar-1 from United States
3 August 2011

Wow. Don't believe the hype on this one. This is about the worst quagmire of action, science fiction, and romance that I have ever seen. None of the elements of this film are well executed and I did not care one way or another what happened to any of the characters. Comparing this movie to the Matrix is like comparing the Durham Bulls to the New York Yankees.

The "special" science fiction trick in this movie is a joke ("angels" need hats to pass through special doors)....I mean how much did the guy that thought that up get paid??? My 3 year old nephew has more imagination when he plays cops and robbers and shoots at "invisible" crooks. The only thing worth noticing here is the actress....she did a decent job with what she was given. Other than that, NO ONE earned a paycheck here.

Matt Damon, with Hereafter and now this movie has truly fallen into the "black hole" of his career. Why just not make Rounders II instead of all this garbage? You have been warned! If you watch it, make sure the door is close by.

Some critics of this film work for the "Adjustment Bureau"

Author: rubitony2002 from United States
21 July 2011

First of all, what inspired me to write this review is not this Wonderful Film which I rate a solid 11 (eleven) *********** stars. I know there's only a maximum of ten but I give it an eleven in this writing. I haven't seen or experienced a movie like this in a long, long time. It is everything and the mostest you could expect from a great movie. Any one with half a life that has seen this movie already knows this. This review is about those poor people that gave this film the very low undeserved ratings. These critics must be part of the adjustment bureau trying to keep normal people that believe in Love and hope from being happy. I suggest all you critics that left anything less than around 8 stars to get a life. Yes, "YOU". You need to fall in love once in your life to be able to relate to this movie. Quit the adjustment bureau! Get another job and quit writing movie reviews. I bet you've never give any movie more than 3 stars. You want attention and you got it, but you won't be remembered as anything great but as some poor soul that the adjustment bureau persecuted,captured and reset. Hope you can re-write your destiny. LOL

A Big Letdown

Author: bdwalsh075 from Canada
10 July 2011

I went into this movie with high hopes. I usually enjoy Matt Damon's acting and the trailers made this movie out to be an exciting Sci-Fi thriller.

The movie starts out well enough but it never seems to get going. The plot is separated by a few convenient flash forwards where the characters seamlessly pick up right where they left off. This gives the film a lack of flow and was probably a byproduct of lazy screen writing. The plot just never gets that interesting, even the chase scene's are short and uninteresting.The plot basically boils down to the love story between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt's characters with the interesting Sci-Fi aspect as a framework. The relationship never seems to get to deep which left me not caring whether or not they ended up with each other in the end.

Matt Damon did a pretty good job considering the mediocre script. His character, however, was very flat. The dialogue is very uninteresting and the back stories are lazily pasted in in an attempt to give the characters some depth.

I thought this movie would at least succeed to entertain me with slick action and a mind-bending story line. However it turned out to be just a badly written typical Hollywood love story.

Strange happenings & a lot of unanswered questions

Author: Hussein Hakem from Egypt
4 July 2011

Many of us like thriller movies which keeps you on your seat's edge eager to know what's coming The Adjustment bureau tried to deliver the same concept in a lot of ways but it kept us confused & with a lot of questions. You won't understand the main focus of the film is it a thriller or a sci-fi drama or it focuses on religion & the question free will. The direction was good as a first time director as well as the actors Matt Damon as an elected congress men who got involved in a conspiracy bigger than he can handle & the British Emily Blunt who is a ballerina & Damon's love interest who came to most of our attention in The devil wears Prada "most girls love this movie" The film is recommended for most audiences who like thriller movies with questionable sequences and I don't think most of them will be fully satisfied.

Entertaining material, but not thought-provoking enough to be even labeled as "propaganda" ...

Author: ElMaruecan82 from France
2 July 2011

I was surprised by the level of criticism that surrounded "The Adjustment Bureau". From what I've read, it seems like the movie was just an excuse for some pro-religious propaganda, underlining the fact that men will never be able to exercise their free will without the supervision of a higher authority, understand God. Frankly, I wish the movie had at least the guts to go as far as what this criticism implies; it would have at least the merit to be quite thought-provoking. What I saw was a well-made special effects driven movie about the power of love and destiny, and a timid cinematic essay about a supernatural force governing our acts, but it takes more than that to be called a propaganda.

I have mixed feelings regarding 'The Adjustment Bureau', and I can't exactly put my finger where the movie went in the wrong direction and I know it did at some part. First, I was baffled by the succession of cinematic clichés that were thrown at me. Matt Damon playing David Norris a young political go-getter with a debatable charisma, but I suspended my disbelief for the sake of my enjoyment. Then the bunch of men with funny hats, I wondered if I had to take them seriously, I tried but God it was difficult. But the icing of the cake was the encounter with Elise Sellas, Emily Blunt's character in the men's room. Now, that scene was quite uncomfortable to watch, I hoped, I sincerely hoped they wouldn't be kissing at the end, and … Bingo! I guess Matt Damon is too damn handsome, no girl would resist. And I guess the girl is so beautiful that if she puts your cell phone in a coffee, you'd be laughing you ass because it's just so damn cute. Anyway, to the credit of the film, all the clichés happen in such a short span of time, you still have one hour to give it the benefit of the doubt. And rightfully, as the movie gets more interesting after a awkward start.

Nolfi's film, yeah, I had to name the director, goes straight forward, and doesn't embarrass itself with nuances, it reveals right after Damon comes earlier in his office and finds our funny-hatted friends scanning his buddy's memory. He learns that he shouldn't have come earlier and the mission of Harry Mitchell, Anthony Mackie's character, was to spill coffee on Norris so he could miss the bus, come later to the office and certainly not meet the girl. Why? It's all part of a mysterious scheme that I don't want to spoil for you … nah, just kidding. The point was that Norris was destined to become a successful politician, and it's strongly implied that he would be the next President of USA. But there's a "but", Elise would be an obstacle to his ascension, because she would cover the gaps in Damon's life. And Damon understands that the death of his brother and father, was part of the big 'scheme' that was meant to be the pivotal moment in his decision to become a politician. His mother died too, but that was bad luck, it happens you know.

And just to show that the film is very gettable in the first viewing, I also know that Blunt's character was meant to be a great and famous dancer but her romance with Damon wouldn't be helpful for her career. So, why are they so strongly attracted to each other? Because they were the perfect match, and were meant to be together. Well, after all, the 'Big Boss' has the right to change his scheme, who's the Boss for His sake? But now, that we know that Damon meeting Blunt wasn't just an archetypal plot device, but part of the 'Big Plot', we're able to forgive the script. The story moves then into the obliged Damon-esque cat-and-mouse thriller. His objective, getting Elise, even under the threat of a lobotomy. These guys mean business, especially when the file was transferred to Terence Stamp's character. But Damon conveniently finds help in Mitchell who initiates him to the teleportation power of the hats, that can open any door if you turn the knob to the right.

Why right? Why the hats? Why not? Everything works for pure script convenience, have we been so interrogative with the treatment of Damon's family background story. No, we're just ought to believe him, so let's not be too technical. At that point, the film becomes a romantic tribute to the power of love where Damon decides to exercise his free will and takes a consenting Blunt with him. Aren't they lovely? The cat-and-mouse chase end up in the top of the building where they're surrounded by the baddies who're not here for kidding, you better believe it. At that point, I was wondering how the script would have concluded after this culmination. Well, since everything is part of the scheme written by a God-like figure, we have one of the most blatant but surprisingly satisfying dues ex machine in a film. Basically, David and Elise proved their love and touched God so much that he decided that finally they were indeed a perfect match. You would think that God has more serious stuff to handle, considering the situation in the world, no, he had to fix this Norris-Sellas issue. After all, maybe a Nuclear Holocaust had just been avoided, who knows?

The movie ends with a beautiful speech about our free will, and our capability to determine our choices and responsibility in life… just as if the movie was some kind of existentialist masterpiece. Well, it made me question many things about the possibilities of life, and what would I have been if I did this or that in the past, or what would have the movie been if it had been more thought provoking in the script and less lazy in the writing department. Entertaining fun, but nothing else ….