IMDb > The Adjustment Bureau (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adjustment Bureau

The Adjustment Bureau More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 41: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

mixture of romcom and scifi does not work

Author: badajoz-1 from United Kingdom
25 February 2014

High concept scifi meets romdrama/com - result turgid predictable movie, only saved by wanting to see what happens at the end. The acting is pretty ordinary - how does Matt Damon get all these parts when he is so mediocre?! The direction is also incredibly ordinary - no tricksy stuff or originality. The plot put simply is that Planet Earth has always had its' Gods and subsidiary helpers, called different things at different times, eh angels. And when they intervene, it is against a detailed plan for each person contained in a moving book. these 'Gods' stepped back in history, and hence The Dark Ages and two World Wars. Obviously Matt Damon is meant to be another JFK, but he will settle for less if he hooks up with Emily Blunt! Stumbling across the angels doing some 'adjustment' he learns all about this. The film then watches him struggle with his written fate and what he really wants in life. Unfortunately the audience has to suffer so much mumbo-jumbo scifi explanation that the film practically dies on its feet with a leaden script. So cue chases, romantic ups and downs, and an ending, where the so-called chief God (Zeus?) chooses a new path for the star-crossed lovers. Bu which time we have all given up - mediocre c**p!

Different, but oddly lightweight

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
16 October 2013

THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU is a modern-day sci-fi thriller based on a short story by one of Hollywood's favoured genre writers, Philip K. Dick. It shows plenty of potential and promise in a plot that's novel and fresh-feeling, but come the end you get the impression it's entirely lightweight and curiously insubstantial.

Writer/director George Nolfi crafts a story with undertones of the excellent DARK CITY in look and style as aspiring politician Matt Damon discovers mysterious forces governing his world. Unfortunately, despite the hugely extensive back story behind this fare, what it boils down to is a simple will they/won't they love story between Damon and the alluring Emily Blunt.

This development makes the repeated attempts at danger and suspense feel faintly ridiculous. I mean, would all the antagonistic characters - John Slattery, Terence Stamp, et al - really go to this level of trouble for something so, well, unimportant in the scheme of things? When the stakes are so low, the viewer just doesn't care.

There are good things in this: a solid turn (again) from Damon as a likable everyman hero for a change, well-handled direction and a lovely turn from the absolutely ravishing Blunt, but the attempts to meld old-fashioned thriller aspects with the romantic storyline just doesn't sit very well with me.

Coulda Woulda Shoulda Equals Loser

Author: John Easom from United Kingdom
13 October 2013

Philip K Dick wrote tremendously imaginative stories and that shows in the premise of this movie. Shame the film lacks plausibility, internal consistency or excitement. It begins well but as the chop-logic degenerates into platitudinous pap the becalmed actors attempt to prop up a pathetic love-story with a pointless chase around New York City landmarks wearing one hat between two. The pseudo-cosmology underlying the story is banal and vague (is it philosophical, theological, theosophical, or just tosh-ological - methinks the latter). It coulda woulda shoulda been a compelling movie but lazy scripting consigns this to the dustbin of movie history - it's a shame because Matt Damon tries hard and the actors are well-cast. They just have nothing to work with.

Great idea just not dramatic enough

Author: SnoopyStyle
23 September 2013

Ambitious politician David Norris (Matt Damon) meets beautiful ballet dancer Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt). It's love at first sight. But something keeps them apart. When he accidentally meets her years later, he's introduced to The Adjustment Bureau.

This is certainly a great Philip K Dick concept, and the men have a great look to them. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt are great actors, and they have some chemistry together. All the elements seems to be there for a great movie. But the story has too many slow spots. And while it's fun to run around opening doors to crazy new locations, it does get very repetitive. The ending just lacks the needed amazing big drama.

Stylish and Spectacular!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
26 January 2013

The Adjustment Bureau is actually one of the better romantic thrillers I have seen lately. It helps that there were science fiction elements thrown in to help boost the film. There are many things why this movie was good as it was. It had superb chemistry by Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, it had an intriguing plot line thanks to Philip K. Dick, and it has stylish directing by George Nolfi.

This film is about a politician who risks everything he worked for and even his life as he tries to be with the girl of his dreams.

As I mentioned previously, Matt Damon and Emily Blunt had very good chemistry. I just loved that one scene where they met each other for the first time. That scene worked very well and ultimately, it led to a very well-made film.

Overall, this is a fine romantic thriller that features one of the most interesting plots I have seen. This is mostly a chick flick in disguise, but it has some drama and action to make up for it. I am surprised to see how many people dislike this film because it's not Bourne-like. Also, people seem to dislike all the religious implications as well. Well, I just liked the film the way it was: a nice, interesting thriller. I rate this film 9/10.

NY Love letter

Author: Ariel Guerra (web-534-393830) from Switzerland
20 November 2012

I'm happy to write about The Adjustment today.

Even though there's a clear crisis going on deep in the cinema industry, we still get jewels for generations to come. And this is one. Why? In part because is written by Philip K. Dick, who also wrote Blade Runner, Total Recall and Minority Report and died in 1982 (just to hold in mind). Simple, artistic, light hearted, clear, and hallelujah with no guns or murderers! With some ingredients resembling Dark City, I find the story very accessible and uplifting, with a nice and tight script (loving its clever dialogs). The casting is great and they all look just right.

The only downside is the ambiguous power the Bureau holds and Matt expressions in some short parts... that may have been directed better (Matt and Emily make a refined match though!).

This is a love story with a kick in the glass of reality, with cool music and perfect pace. The deleted scenes are kind of worth deleting and the bonus parts are not that important except for Emily's hard work on becoming a dancer. I congratulate George Nolfi (big fan since Ocean's 12) for the screenplay and fully recommend this movie, definitely to watch and own.

Chairman is another of His names

Author: dromasca from Herzlya, Israel
7 October 2012

The Adjustment Bureau starts like an election year movie. As we are in 2012 this may be the right time for such films, but it quickly quits that path to go into a direction that I personally find even more interesting and attractive that the life and career of a politician who may be ruined because of intrigues or just because he will follow his own personal instincts and chose love even at the risk of his career. We get these all in the film but also much more, as we can expect from a film based on a short story by Philip K. Dick.

The world, we learn pretty soon is not completely run according to hazard. Actually there is a plan, a well organized plan and a quite big bureaucratic system with a well-established hierarchy which makes sure everything happens according to the plan and in extreme situations takes measures to adjust the disturbances. One of these happens to our heroes – the candidate senator played by Matt Damon meets accidentally and falls for the beautiful and talented ballerina played by Emily Blunt and they do not forget and search each other despite being separated for years and insist on getting together despite the plans of the great institution that was targeting the hero to become a future president, but a bachelor one for some reasons. In the antic tragedy the name of the institution was Destiny, Christianity and other religions call Him God, in this film his name is Chaiman, and his clerks have all very handy tablets which can be of help to a lot of things including shortcuts by secret backdoors in traffic-jammed Manhattan (sure, I want one, Apple, please!).

One does not feel at all that this is a first long feature film for director George Nolfi. However at some point I regretted this not being his second or third film – he has talent in telling a story, skills in directing the actors, if he only had dared going deeper in the direction of the dilemma and confrontation between fate and good will – we would have maybe received an even better movie. But even so The Adjustment Bureay is smart and sensible and better than the average.

The plan, the plan

Author: blanche-2 from United States
27 June 2012

Matt Damon falls in love and interferes with "The Plan" in this 2011 film also starring Emily Blunt, Terrence Stamp, and John Slattery.

Damon plays David Norris, a congressman running for Senate who at the last minute loses due to a college prank that is highly publicized. He goes to the mens room to rehearse his concession speech, and there he meets a beautiful young woman, Elise (Emily Blunt) hiding from security. They talk, and she encourages him to be who he is and to be honest. There's an instant attraction, and they kiss. David walks out and gives a brilliant speech, so good, in fact, that there is interest in him for the next Senate race. In the meantime, he takes a job at his campaign manager's firm. On his way to work, whom should he see on the bus but the woman from the mens room, and this time, he gets her number.

When he walks into work, however, there are a group of men there running what looks like a scanner over his boss. David runs but the men catch him. It is then that he learns that these men are his case workers. Everyone has them, to make sure that they adhere to the plan. The plan has been devised by The Chairman (Terrence Stamp). The case workers tweak little things in order to guide David - not his personality, not his emotions, but with the purpose of keeping him on track so that he can achieve his purpose. The head case worker, Richardson (John Slattery) tells David that according to the plan, David was never supposed to run into Elise again, and they move to make sure he doesn't connect with her a third time. But David can't forget her.

This is an interesting premise, building on the idea that everything, even spilling your coffee, happens for a reason; that, in fact, we are all guided by angels, which some people call the caseworkers, to make sure that we achieve the life and goals set by The Chairman.

The science fiction premise is mixed with romance here, with both Blunt and Damon giving warm, charming performances. I was left feeling, though, that as sweet as the film was, it could have been better. Nevertheless, it's nice to see an original idea on the screen, and I applaud it.

Intriguing. See it.

A piece of superstitious bunk

Author: jens-257 from Denmark
26 June 2012

Unless you buy the premise that a conspiracy about the very fabric of existence is at foot the premise of the whole movie is bunk. The person who wrote this thing should find another line of work as well as the person who green lite this piece of .... I'm really sad to see the amount of acting talent that was wasted on this script. Everyone not involved in the script gets a pass on this one. The cinematographic is good. The acting is really good. The sound is good. All in all its sad that such a bad story got so much attention and finance. This 10 line review minimum is really pissing me off. Paying authors by the word never produced better books!

Fantastic Movie

Author: Cactusgod11 from United States
23 June 2012

I went into this movie thinking it was going to be "ok" simply because I didn't hear much about it when it came out. Now, looking at the average IMDb rating and the Rottentomatoes rating, I feel silly that I just saw this movie now. It was really, surprisingly good.

The main premise is intriguing enough that, for the most part, you're wondering how it's all going to end and how the characters are going to deal with their situations and the consequences. I found myself invested in the characters enough to want to see how it played out. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it "Inception-lite" as some have described it, but its easily better than your average thriller though it does have less action. Coming from the guy who wrote the Bourne Ultimatum screenplay, I'm actually not surprised about the quality. Without spoiling anything, my 9/10 comes from the movie not only being a solid thriller, but from having two good overall messages that you just don't see in movies any more.

As a side note, this is the epitome of a perfect date movie. It mixes a great concept and thrills with a nice dose of romance that, in my opinion, didn't feel out of place one bit.