IMDb > The Adjustment Bureau (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 41:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Intriguing and Ambiguous Story

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
17 August 2012

In New York, the prominent politician David Norris (Matt Damon) is disputing the election for the Senate but his past of bad boy makes him lose the election. He meets the stranger Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt) hidden in the Waldorf's toilet and she tells that she had crashed a party and the security guards are chasing her. They start a conversation and they immediately fall in love with each other. However the guards find her and David does not see her again. However she inspires him to make a remarkable speech.

One day, David is traveling by bus and he meets Elise again. She gives her phone number to him and David promises to call her. However, strangers wearing hats approach to David and tell that they belong to the Adjustment Bureau and Elise and David must be kept apart. They destroy the piece of paper with her phone number and David is unable to contact Elise. Three years later, David sees Elise walking on the sidewalk. He gets out of the bus to meet her and he learns that she is a dancer. But the strangers use their abilities to keep them apart. What is the reason why David and Elise can not be together?

"The Adjustment Bureau" is a romantic and suspenseful sci-fi based on a short story by Philip K. Dick, the writer of "Blade Runner", "Total Recall", "Impostor", "Minority Report", "Paycheck", "A Scanner Darkly" and "Next", among other sci-fi films. The intriguing story is ambiguous; the chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt is wonderful; and it is always great to see Terence Stamp. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Os Agentes do Destino" ("The Agents of Destiny")

At Last, A Movie For People With ADD!

Author: BKTrayner from United States
6 March 2011

There are many movies with impossible plots that are entertaining because you are carried along by the story. You don't notice the holes in the plot until the next day. In this case, the plot is not merely preposterous, it is transparent. As such, it is impossible to enjoy the movie because you are sitting in the theatre analyzing its faults. Let's begin with the idea that Matt Damon looks for his true love for 3 years after their chance meeting. O.K., so I didn't realize until the next day that his true love had crashed a wedding and that she was last seen being chased by security people much faster than she was. Matt could simply have checked back at the hotel to learn her identity. But even while I was watching the movie it was obvious that he plays a well-known public figure. So why didn't she just call him up? Once you realize this is all she would have to do, the premise of the movie collapses. In addition, as other reviewers have noted, the human hero is outwitting God. How believable is that? The angels suggest that God just doesn't have the resources to monitor everybody, so He focuses on "important" people. That's simply annoying. This is a God who (rather than knowing when any sparrow falls) apparently only knows when a condor falls. And then you have the angel who violates God's orders to help our hero find his true love by loaning him his cheesy hat. I could only think of the Red Hat Ladies. Where do they end up when they go though a door? I've never read (or heard of) the scifi novel from the 50's that this is based on, but I recognized the genre when it was postulated that all the large events of Western Civilization could be explained by times that God intervened and times when God took a hands-off approach: God was on-duty up to the Fall of Rome, but took the day off during the Dark Ages, etc. Other reviewers quibble that this ignores other cultures, but 1950's scifi was into sweeping concepts like this. Frankly, it is kinda neat, and as a teenager I would have been intrigued. But the problem here is that Hollywood has taken what was probably a pretty good idea from the 50's and trashed it. I'd bet that the author made a much more credible case for his premise and tied up the loose ends in a way that was internally consistent. Not so here. I give three stars because of the scenes of New York and because smoking was not prominently featured. Even Big Tobacco passed on this turkey.

An intelligent romantic film with a sci-fi twist

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
22 June 2011

This film is about a successful politician who has to choose between the woman of his dreams and his career, when he meets a team of messengers who control fate.

"The Adjustment Bureau" is certainly a different romantic film. The plot is an engaging and refreshing mix of romance and science fiction. The thrill and excitement of the science fiction part is well maintained throughout the film, while the romance part melts viewers hearts. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt are so convincing together, making their romance very believable. Once again, Emily Blunt puts on a particularly stellar performance, showing her impressive range of acting skills and on screen charm.

"The Adjustment Bureau" is a good film as it is a refreshing departure from mundane and formulaic romantic comedies. It deserves 100 minutes of your time.

Waste of an afternoon

Author: falting45 from Australia
2 April 2011

I have been a "warmish' Matt Damon fan. Some of his work hasn't been too bad. But this shocker- what was he thinking? When the first incident through the magic door took place I thought we were in for a bit of thuggery -a.k.a- "thriller' even though the protagonists were wearing overcoats, scarves and 1960 hats. But no, just some odd looking people in motor bike helmets who pushed our hero David back into a chair and that was it. The plot was so thin I half expected to see a smoke machine adding a bit of mystery. And the script... words fail me. I must say the collision gave me a jolt, and by the reaction in the cinema I wasn't the only one drifting off with boredom. The movie looked like an adult take on Narnia and the trip through the wardrobe. At least in that movie the costumes and scenery made it worth watching.

Load of TRIFLE!

Author: samhooch from United Kingdom
11 March 2011

I went to see The Adjustment Bureau due to the advertised 'Bourne meets Inception' line and the 7.3 rating on IMDb. I had low expectations after hearing reviews from friends and they were completely fulfilled.

What i saw at the pictures was the wettest film Damon has starred in since Hereafter. This wetter than wetter dialogue and ghastly plot left me thumbing myself through boredom during the last hour of the film. I wouldn't get oot of bed for this crock! I haven't seen acting this wooden since Nicholas Cage was outperformed by the titular character in the Wicker Man.

The worst thing about this film was the ridiculous premise that wearing a hat is a key through a secret door. If this is the case then Damon should pull a flat cap on, walk out his front door and hope to god he ends up in a decent film.

Cheesier than the tummy of a mouse.

Author: manbok from United Kingdom
11 March 2011

To explain the plot of this movie, you take a genetic manipulated monkey with the IQ of Sara Palin, give it a few good high percentage bananas, bump his head approximately 24.6 times at the radiator, and let it write about something original, something that hasn't been there before...like two individuals that fall in love with each other, while the whole world is against their love.

Oh, right, that is actually not original much. I excuse myself, the originality is, that there is no reason why the whole world is against them, because our great monkey is already sucking its thumb in foetus position. And you will be surprised with the ending, because you will find yourself looking at your friend next to you with straws in his nostrils, just to see something more unexpected and entertaining, yes and because you know your friend as well as a million love clichés...the expected ending of this sentence just underlines, what I'm trying to bring across.

Along the way, somewhere stuck in limbo, you just hope for something interesting to happen...that feeling stays, till you see the credits and try to think, how you could make up this time loss of your precious life. That and making sure you don't wear a hat on your way to the exit doors.

Now, don't get me wrong, sometimes even I like love clichés, if the movie had some kind of character depth, for example.

This dime tour of NYC did not impress or entertain

Author: FatMan-QaTFM from United States
23 August 2011

This review will contain a few spoilers. Here's the first one: it's mediocre at best.

Philip K. Dick shorts could fuel Hollywood for years. They're nice, well thought out premises that aren't so complicated that they leave viewers confused – movies like Minority Report and Total Recall. However when you put a good short in the hands of someone like George Nolfi, the clown responsible for penning Timeline and Ocean's Twelve, you get The Adjustment Bureau.

The movie starts out as a quirky rom-com with lead man Matt Damon losing a Senatorial election and find comfort in the arms of a flirty girl hiding in the men's room. Such stuff as dreams are made on. He has a chance meeting with her again some time later, but the big twist occurs when he's confronted by the partners of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, told it's just not meant to be and angels will kneecap him if he spills the beans about their big operation. Years later, we get a replay of the situation and it all goes to heck in a knapsack when The Adjustment Bureau says it must not be.

There are a few big problems with how this movie handles the thriller aspects. First, you have to care about characters for any chase or conflict to even matter. We get a slew of sappy Notebook-esque lines with little character development. As far as I'm concerned, David Norris is a childish flake and Elise Sellas doesn't give two craps about anybody's feelings but her own. Not very likable, but I guess they do deserve each other. Second, a thriller won't be thrilling if there is no danger. The biggest dangers are Norris not being a great politician and Sellas not becoming famous in modern dance circles. No threat of bodily harm and the bad guys are completely befuddled when water is in the picture. I've ranted in the past about this Hollywood notion that unless you get the girl AND the money, fame, and good looks, it's not worth it. For most of us, finding true love would be enough – we wouldn't have to be President on top of all that. Last, all throughout the movie the plucky "buddy comedy" music doesn't give the a sense of impending doom. If Richard Widmark's brutal wheelchair down the stairs scene from Kiss of Death had been accompanied by bongos and a symbol hit at the end, I don't think it would carry the same weight.

Maybe we've seen too many Matrix-type movies to be impressed by mind- bending sci-fi chases, but this dime tour of NYC did not impress or entertain.

Great Title - Poor Plot

Author: Carson Serrani from United States
17 March 2011

I honestly had extremely high expectations for this movie from what the movie trailer was portraying. However after I watched the movie I was sorely disappointed. In my opinion it should have been about how "The Bureau" was controlling everyones moves and actions uncovering their every single move into their lives. Unfortunately the movie zeroed in on a "love story" and "fate"; which in my opinion made this Sci-Fi Action movie turn into a Sci-Fi Drama Chick Flick!

Like I previously stated: the trailer lead me to believe that the plot was going to be a Sci-Fi conspiracy movie about how the government or "The Bureau" controls the world (USA) and someone found out about them and tried to stop them to tell the world, but end up being killed for treason! Something along those lines, in my opinion. Anyways, overall I give this movie a 4 out of 10 because the plot could have been so much better for a Sci-Fi Thriller! Instead of turning it into a love story, which by the way there are way too many of those around already so why did they do this to the movie? I have no idea. But it was a bad idea.

Final Note: (SPOILER) Folks, if you love movies like 'Vantage Point' or 'The Bourne Supremacy' - stay away from this movie because you will too be sorely disappointed as was I. This was nothing close to what I was expecting from what the movie trailer of "The Adjustment Bureau" portrayed at all! Good luck folks, I hope you too have a different opinion than mine. Because I am just one person, who has seen hundreds of thousands of amazing, great, stupendous and kick-ass movies! So I know what I'm talking about when I wrote this review. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Best regards,

Carson Serrani Dezign Labs Web Team CarsonSerrani@DezignLabs.com +1 (888) 505-2819

Call me a sap, but it worked for me

Author: rzajac from Taichung, Taiwan
7 March 2011

There's a strain in the comments to the effect that the purity of Dick's message got sold out by the treatment. So I watched it with some wariness.

But in the end, it worked for me. Yeah, the cinematic realization of the concept of spiritual intervention was kinda sorta klunky... Although I would be utterly tragically hip if I failed to tip my hat to the flash of campy sight-gagging on that theme! And, in the end, it was worth the investment of suspension of disbelief.

Not the greatest venue for Damon's cache and skills, but not too chabby, either. At the end of the movie, I was quite touched and taken by the moral of the story. The proof lies in the following pudding: Given that there is no Adjustment Bureau, does the moral still ring true?

*** Spoiler Alert ***

. . .

"Waking Life" said that "dream is destiny". But is Dick (and this movie) more aware of the underlying truth? Is the key to destiny really love?

***spoilers off***: I gave this an 8 merely because I feel that psychothriller sci-fi rarely overcomes its idiomatic commitments to reality-basis to truly transcend and become timeless art. Though The Adjustment Bureau gave me a run for my money, my expectations weren't entirely exploded. If they had been, it would've gotten a 9 or 10.

And now something completely different... (of Philip K. Dick)

Author: saul-cepeda (saul.cepeda@gmail.com) from Spain
8 March 2011

We have here smart and smooth dialog, ontological arguments, great acting, sci-fi, clever editing, space-time dimensions and an inspiring love story. After watching the trailer, when I hear Philip K. Dick + George Nolfi (Bourne's Ultimatum, Ocean's 12, ¡Timeline!...), something disturbing came to my mind: a kind of Dark City-Paycheck hybrid... Nothing further from the truth.

The adaptation of PKD's short stories for the screen has no newness, but do it in a completely new shape within a romantic-comedy-like film (preserving all the Chaos Theory/Free Will/Determinism leitmotiv of the text) is a show worth seeing.

Page 2 of 41:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]