IMDb > "Hawthorne" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hawthorne"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Hawthorne" More at IMDbPro »

going downhill

Author: cal1946 from United States
22 June 2011

The first two seasons were OK, I like Michael Vartan and most of the other actors did credible jobs, portraying what it must be like to work in the frenetic atmosphere of saving lives in a hospital. The new season is quite different. The writers have changed direction and the show feels like what I would expect General Hospital to feel like, all about the personnel and very little about the patients. Christine is attacked and remembers the ring the attacker wore, which the Detective Nick presents to her at the end of the episode, no explanation. The second episode mentions the ring but nothing else is said. Morrissey replaces Christine as CNO and will not tell her what he has done or why he has done so. The show feels disjointed, too many story threads left unfinished, too many characters missing with no explanation and not enough medical and too much angst. Michael buys a gun with no explanation. Camile is changed into a vamp who has to be taught how to pray...Come on. I hope they can get the show back on track.

I'm over this show

Author: David White (dawh1) from San Antonio, Texas
7 July 2011

Over the years there have been a number of hospital shows whose basic premise goes something like this: Hospitals have very strict rules and protocols about who may do what. These rules and protocols generally make sick people sicker. But once in a while some really daring hospital employee, a renegade doctor, a nurse fresh out of school, breaks the rules and saves people's lives, but he or she has an uphill fight to do it, because the hospital administrator, the chief of surgery, the ethics committee, the mayor, or whoever, does everything to prevent it, even knowing (and not caring) that lives are at stake. I for one don't buy that premise. I have been a hospital patient several times, and real hospitals do a very good job by following their rules and protocols. This is just one more show of the type I described. And to make matters worse, it's just bogged down in the personal lives of the characters. I like a good hospital show, but this is not one.

Nurses are better than doctors

Author: auntydle from United States
18 August 2010

I wanted to like this show but I was completely turned off by Christina's behavior in the first major scene of the pilot episode.

I figure we were supposed to be cheering her on. After all, she's a crusader (maverick, rebel, whatever) who cares more about the patient than the rules. Because the rules are stupid, right? Never mind that she didn't have her id badge and looked like a lunatic, barefoot and unkempt, that night. If someone comes crashing through a security checkpoint in any building, and has no ID, they will be arrested. Seriously, what did she expect? Christina does whatever she feels is best for the patient, never mind the doctors, rules, or laws for that matter.

I saw a bit of another episode and it was more of the same crap. A friend of Christina's had a sick baby and was allowed to skip to the front of the line. The doctor who tried to follow protocol is an a$$ who doesn't really care about the patients.

Her behavior is supposed to be seen as courageous, I guess, because she's bucking a system that doesn't really work. But her methods aren't about changing the system. She only helps individual patients with their immediate problems. It's a sad truth that the only way to change a system is through the administration. So she's basically disregarding the best way to help the majority of the patients for the satisfaction of showing up an single doctor or administrator.

too bad to live

Author: morganshs99 from United States
18 August 2009

God, I loathe this show. I've given it 3 watchings and it just gets worse and worse. Please, don't anybody think this is representative of any real nurses in any real hospital on the planet Earth. Nurses, especially ER nurses, do not have time to discuss their "relationships" at length while at work, or interfere in patients personal lives. That male nurse and the blonde nurse are both so dumb its amazing they ever got through nursing school. And why does Jada Pinkett Smith walk around with a mean, don't-cross-me look all the time? Unless of course she is being the patron saint of all nurses. Here's a recent exchange in the last episode: Patient: You really can perform miracles! Hawthorne: I try! Lord - hand me a bucket, projectile vomiting will commence in 5 seconds!

Over Acting Defined

Author: SpokaneMan from United States
10 August 2011

I will probably sound like a hater in this review, but please understand that I have really, REALLY tried to like this show. I also understand that reviews are simply one person's opinion - even though I may have strong feelings, I don't discount the enjoyment others may get out of this show. My wife likes it, and so I have continued to watch it with her. Please consider this my vent about my feeling on this show that I can't say to her! Also, I seem to remember liking the first season a lot more than the current season. OK, my gripes: 1. OVER/BAD ACTING - Seriously, the acting is just horrible. I think the actors are probably good, so perhaps it's direction? Regardless, it just seems over the top and cheesy most of the time. I could start pulling out examples, but really, any segment between commercials will bear this out.

2. DISJOINTED STORY LINES - The plot is all over the place, with situations coming and going without any cohesion. I saw another reviewer call this out with examples, so I won't reinvent that wheel. However, last night's episode, with the creepy guy with the beard and the ring showing up at the hospital and the funeral. It's like these people are dogs or babies; the moment something/someone leaves their purview it's like it doesn't exist for them anymore.

3. WTF Christina?? - I am just not getting the whole cheating on her husband thing. The time line is disjointed, so I can't get a bead on how long she and her new husband have actually been married. However, I have lost respect for her character over that. I know, I know, it's fiction, but still, you're actually supposed to like the protagonist in a story. Horrible acting aside, any validity her character had just went down the drain for me.

4. AN ENTIRE SEASON OF HAWTHORNE NOT BEING AN RN - I thought the HawthoRNe was the entire point of the series, and yet the writers have effectively kept her out of the hospital (as a staff person) for an entire season. And the fact that her boss dismissed her for the most ridiculous of reasons (because she was attacked on their property??) and this doesn't become a major plot line is beyond me. These people could be working in a brokerage firm for the amount of actual patient care they were shown doing this season.

Okay, I'll stop. Again, this is the pent up frustration of watching this show for nearly the entire second season hoping/praying it will get better, only to be disappointed more each episode. I typically look forward to season finales, but not usually just so the pain will end.

This is TERRIFIC!!

Author: sammikat007 from United States
25 July 2010

I see by other reviews that this is one of those love-it or hate-it kinda shows & I'm definitely in the LOVE IT camp! Jada Pinkett-Smith is at the top of her form & so is the rest of the cast. I know some reviewers on this site don't seem to like the fact that the show centers around its title character, but PLEASE. I don't find Mrs. Smith's portrayal anything short of a FLAWLESS portrayal of a flawed person. She doesn't always have the answers, either. Sometimes her methods don't work the way she wants them to & she recognizes it. Other characters are given plenty of screen time as well as plot lines and this show is a breath of fresh air for the hospital drama genre! Keep it coming TNT, this is your best original program EVER!!

Ugh

Author: skeptic-phd from United States
30 July 2010

Seriously, does anybody believe that a chief nursing officer has time for patients? In the real world, even the nurses have to make an appointment to see her.

Where is your budget headache Christina?

How many JCAHO issues do you have on your plate to resolve?

What sort of feathers are you pursuing for the nursing caps? Magnet? Speciality certifications? Anything???

In all the hospitals I've worked, I have NEVER seen the CNO on a first name basis with patients and families or even the staff beyond her circle of management nurses. If a family has a complaint, it goes to the patient care advocate, not the CNO. Sure, RN is the first in the list of alphabet soup behind her name, but you can bet your *** you'll find MBA in there too. CNO is not a "nurse" position, it is an executive position.

Ridiculous show and an insult to real nurses who get how it is in the real world.

This Dog Can't Hunt!!

Author: calcynic-2 from United States
7 July 2009

What a disappointment! The cable networks have been programming some excellent shows over the last couple years, but this ain't one of them. What was TNT thinking? TNT has a superb handful of original series, so my anticipation of Hawthorne was pretty intense. What a waste of an hour, what with the bonehead writing and mechanical acting; I shoulda gone to bed. The Christine Hawthorne character is way beyond belief. Her queen of the hospital role is extremely annoying, especially since her crown is just her halo turned upside down. She's infallible, unstoppable, feared, loved and respected by her fellow badly acted cardboard characters. Everything has a too-well scrubbed, artificial look to it. When looking from inside the hospital toward the emergency entrance, the outside looks so fake, it reminds me of the "outside" on the Soupy Sales show or General Hospital. Seal up this smelly mess and shove it in the dumpster. It can keep "Mental" company.

if you want creative and fresh TV go somewhere else

Author: donfischi
15 September 2009

this show is everything but creative. that alone is not enough to call it bad, but when it also lacks realistic or at least believable tension and interesting main characters you can call it bad in my opinion.

the main character has all character treats of a saint - and i mean that in a bad way: she is the caring mother, the heartbroken widow, the funny and loyal friend, the tough but also caring (again) chief nurse who bends and breaks the rules when it is called for, but only then. she is also nearly always right, makes no mistakes and stands up against the arrogant doctors. all way to perfect to be interesting and really likable.

the story lines also seem to be written only to show her holiness in the right light. even if she makes a mistake, it all turns out OK, everyone forgives her when she apologizes at once and all is well again. that leaves pretty little room for serious character development too, unless you want to destroy this picture of a model citizen.

the only good thing i can say about this show, is that some side characters are made of better material. but even most of them are textbook stereotypes and even solid acting can save little when there is nothing to save to begin with.

Just take it out and shoot it!

Author: korgaard59 from United States
6 September 2011

I hear that the show has been canceled, and while it is sad that the fine (albeit underused) talents of James Morrison and Anne Ramsey will have to go looking for other work, I could not be happier. It's not just that the whole "health care professional who cares too much" theme is so tired and sick that it vomits self-satisfied dust. It's not that Jada (Whoever) Smith is an actress without the ability to even talk herself into a speeding ticket. It's not even that costar Marc Anthony exudes all of the machismo of a crack-addicted, syphilitic squirrel. The fundamental problem with this show is that although it tried to sell itself as a medical drama, it was in reality simply a comeback vehicle for (Whoever) Smith. Successful medical dramas are almost always the result of well thought out writing and ensemble acting. "House", for example, also has the main character's name as the title, but nonetheless employs a cast of well-developed ensemble players. Ensemble playing was apparently not considered appropriate for "Whoever" Smith's comeback vehicle, so the story line turned away from medical themes and devolved into a not very well done cesspool of soap operatic rape, rage, angst, and infidelity story lines. Better off dead!