10 items from 2013
NBC has given The Blacklist an early second season renewal. Most freshman TV shows don’t get a second season this early (Sleepy Hollow did, but it’s airing a short season).
According to a report from RadarOnline, ABCis hoping to fill the cast for the next season of Dancing with the Stars with Oscar winners and Renee Zellweger headlining. Are there that many Oscar winners that would do Dancing with the Stars?
CNN chief Jeff Zucker says that the news channel needs “more shows and less newscasts.” With Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown as its top show, he’s talking about airing documentaries as part of the weekday primetime lineup and revamping news programs to have an “attitude »
- Lyle Masaki
London – Britain’s Got Talent judge and Little Britain star David Walliams will voice Pudsey the dancing dog in a movie currently shooting. Vertigo Films, Simon Cowell's Sony joint venture Syco Entertainment, which is the co-producer, and Roar Global announced the casting of Walliams and several others on Thursday. When announced earlier this year, Pudsey: The Movie was described as a fictional family film starring the dog that won the 2012 season of Britain's Got Talent with trainer Ashleigh. After winning the Cowell talent search show, Pudsey made appearances on The Jay Leno Show and America’s Got Talent, among
- Georg Szalai
The second life of “Southland” on TNT has come to a close, with the network announcing the cop drama won’t return after five seasons.
In a statement Friday, the cabler said:
“TNT has made the difficult decision not to renew Southland for another season. We are enormously proud of Southland, which stands as one of the best police dramas ever made. Executive producers John Wells, Chris Chulack and Jonathan Lisco, along with creator Ann Biderman and our partners at Warner Bros. Television, have given us five seasons of powerful, unforgettable storytelling, for which we are deeply grateful. We also want to thank the amazing cast for their impassioned, no-holds-barred performances, and the production team for their tenacity shooting on the streets of real-world Los Angeles. We wish everyone associated with Southland the very best.”
“Southland” premiered as an NBC drama in April 2009 to promising critical notices but small audience »
- Jon Weisman
TNT hasn’t said definitively whether Wednesday’s season finale would officially be the last episode of “Southland,” but all indications and body language — including the fact several of its stars have signed on to new projects — suggests that it is.
If that was the last hour (and there will be spoilers ahead), there’s no question it leaves a bad aftertaste — so grim and unsettled as to offer virtually nothing in the way of closure.
Still, we come not to bury but to praise this Peabody-award-winning drama, as well as TNT for giving it renewed life after NBC and a little experiment called “The Jay Leno Show” nearly sent the series to the showers long before now.
- Brian Lowry
Digesting the ratings for “Hannibal” – which considering the list of ingredients, including a presold title, heavy marketing and mostly positive reviews, have to be considered disappointing – one wonders if someone at NBC is thinking, “Hey, how about bringing back ‘The Jay Leno Show’?”
As you might recall, the Leno premise was not about winning in the ratings competition at 10 p.m., but altering the network financial model and, in essence, losing less expensively. And with a tepid audience for such a handsome-looking dramatic series, it’s worth noting NBC could have probably produced several weeks of Leno for roughly the same cost as that “Hannibal” pilot.
At the time, NBC’s real screw-up was in not fully and honestly explaining its strategy to the media and affiliates, with the latter rebelling as the lead-in to their late local news dragged them down. In hindsight, the network’s initial idea – putting Leno at 8 p. »
- Brian Lowry
"We are purposefully making this change when Jay is No. 1, just as Jay replaced Johnny Carson when he was No. 1," Burke says in a statement.
That was also the plan four years ago -- or nine years ago, when NBC first announced its five-year plan to have Conan O'Brien replace Leno on "Tonight" in 2009. Leno was going to go out on top, and O'Brien would be the new steward of a show and a legacy he revered.
Of course, it didn't work out that way. NBC, fearful that Leno would jump to another network and damage one part of its business that was actually working pretty well, gave him a prime-time show. "The Jay Leno Show" managed both to »
Jay Leno came reasonably close in his interview with the New York Times about his plans to leave “The Tonight Show,” but he didn’t come right out and say the little words the network would no doubt like to hear: “I am officially retiring from television.”
For NBC, the playing field has shifted somewhat since it ushered Leno toward the door back in 2004, getting him to walk away from “The Tonight Show” five years later, because officials feared extending him any further would risk losing Conan O’Brien, whose team made clear a time-period promotion was the only way to forestall such a threat.
But Leno is being too modest when he says the phone’s not ringing — because it will — or that he’ll be content to just hit the road as a comedian, because based on his history, he won’t.
Of course, the landscape has shifted. »
- Brian Lowry
The New York Post reports that Fox affiliates are strongly in favor of giving Leno an 11 p.m. talk show if and when he exits NBC. Steve Pruett, the chairman of Fox's affiliate board, told the Post that Leno's ratings success on NBC would make him a natural choice to headline late night programming on Fox stations across the country.
However, convincing the Fox network to sign Leno may be a tougher sell than convincing the affiliates. While nothing is confirmed yet, NBC's reported plan to move Leno aside in favor of Fallon is based on the projected value of Fallon's ability to attract a younger audience for years to come. Similarly, Fox attracts a younger viewership, and signing the 62-year-old Leno could be risky, despite his history of strong »
- The Huffington Post
Live from New York, it’s…the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon?
Yes indeed, the current host of NBC’s Late Night has reportedly received an offer to take over from Jay Leno as host of Tonight by no later than fall 2014 — and to move the show back to the east coast in the process, according to the New York Times.
The paper notes that “NBC has quietly begun work on a new studio in its headquarters building at 30 Rockefeller Plaza as the home for the new Tonight show.”
Leno, for his part, has been taking jabs at NBC’s »
- Michael Slezak
Tonight, "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" moves to ABC's 11:35 timeslot, putting the show in direct competition with Jay Leno and David Letterman. In the newest issue of Rolling Stone, Kimmel offered some potent criticism of the "Tonight Show" host -- and did not mince words.
"Leno hasn't been a good stand-up in 20 years," Kimmel told reporter Jonah Weiner as they drove past the Comedy & Magic Club, where Leno tries out monologue jokes for "The Tonight Show" each Sunday.
Kimmel left no doubt in the public's mind how he felt about Leno in 2010, when Leno was in negotiations to return to his "Tonight Show" throne after Conan O'Brien occupied the desk for a mere seven months. Kimmel hosted an entire episode of his show doing a mocking impersonation of Leno, and then did an interview on "The Jay Leno Show" where he repeatedly blamed Leno for the Conan controversy (despite Leno's attempts »
- The Huffington Post
10 items from 2013
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners