« Prev | 11 of 12 Episodes | Next »

Author: CharlieBrill from Chicago
31 March 2012

This series offers perspective, the best things about this program, and it's worst. I really that. For these wives, their lives were all about helping their husbands make it to the moon. They sacrificed, and at some level they rarely saw those husbands. The end credits showed how a good percentage of those wives were now divorced from their husbands, and sometimes I wonder if it was worth it. "Do I go to the moon, or do I save my family?" There are so many cultures in the world that wouldn't put achievement above family, and these families were kinda united in their purpose and mission to go to the moon. But then what?

Their image gets mangled in the spotlight, they feel anxiety and pressure to even open up to their spouses about their problems in fear that their husbands will get scrubbed from their missions if they care about their family too much. That's not healthy. The missions to the moon proved that "mankind can do anything". But the question is, could a man go to the moon, be a world class geologist and bring back the right rocks, fly an experimental space craft flawlessly, and could he still be a good husband, a good father, and a man who cared about his community? I think the answer to that is 'no'. Man can do 'anything', but he can't do it all at the same time.