IMDb > The Widow's Might (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Widow's Might More at IMDbPro »

another poor quality cheesy Christian movie

Author: jamisonjw
22 November 2010

First let's be positive. The sets costumes and camera work were pretty good, particularly for a low budget film. All that aside, I was expecting a whole lot more from a film that won a San Antonio Christian film festival award. And it might be more accurate to put it in the genre of "musical" as opposed to "comedy". There seemed to be more singing than laughing. This movie is in no way in the same class as Fireproof or Facing the Giants or even Flywheel. Some Church families might find this movie to be quaint or cute but the secular movie audience will find it ridiculous. My family loves all the Sherwood movies. They got up and left before this movie was very far along. I stayed to the end hoping it would get better; it didn't. If you were just trying to make a fun home movie that you could be proud of, then fine, you succeeded. If you were trying to impact the culture, forget about it. Not trying to be harsh but I am sick of stupid Christian movies. Fireproof and others like it demonstrate that it is possible to make a Christian movie worth watching. The bar has been raised. C'mon guys you can do better than this.

Excellent movie for the whole family!

Author: pvroe from United States
10 January 2010

Unfortunately, 21st century films rarely make movies that a family with a wide age range (young children to parents) can enjoy together. We are thankful, however, that The Widow's Might is just such a movie. Sometimes after a long, tiring week, we like to relax together as a family and enjoy a wholesome movie. As parents, we not only enjoyed the entertainment this movie provided, but we also liked the fact that it supported the wholesome and ethical values that we are seeking to instill in our children. Our children loved the movie for the humor, plot, and were motivated by the example that young people were using their gifts and talents for the glory of God.

I hate to be the odd-man out here, but...

Author: helica9 from United States
1 July 2010

I really was disappointed in the overall development and acting in this film. Mostly, though, my disfavor was in the acting. It just seemed too hokey, as if the actors were mostly plodding along here, not really caring about what they were doing, as if they really had nothing vested in the saving of the Widow's homestead. And the dialog - it seemed like they were concentrating really hard to keep from saying "um," after each line they spoke, so the speeches came out choppy and disjointed, and really insincere. Also the expressions on their faces at times did not match the lines that were spoken, so again things just seemed awkward.

Don't get me wrong. I really liked the idea, the concept that the film was attempting to convey, and being a Jehovah Witness myself, it is a rare experience to see a modern day film where a character refers to God using his given name, Jehovah, instead of merely God or Father. I haven't seen or rather heard that since DeMille's later epics, and it was a breath of fresh air. Still, for me, it only improved the film somewhat.

However, for children and youngsters alike, for the non-critical viewer, I can see how this could be an entertaining time spent, as it does convey a somewhat uplifting and praiseworthy message that should endear the young at heart. So if you don't examine it too closely for the flaws that are there, and apparently other reviewers were able to do just that, then you might be able to find for you and your young ones that this is a movie you will all enjoy.

Also, let me apologize to anyone who might be reading this review for IMDb's oversight in slipping it into the "loved it" filter even though I only gave the movie 5 stars and have not written many endearing remarks about the film. If they had a "contact us" link here I would definitely use it to see if I could straighten out the situation, but it seems they do not. Again, I apologize in advance for their abuse of my review.

Good film but don't expect Hollywood quality

Author: ghvz1 from United States
4 June 2012

This was a pretty good film overall. My kids saw it first and liked it so much, they insisted I watch it with them the next day. This is about a group of teens and their parents who try to help out a widow who is about to lose her home. They use a movie to do it, so it's essentially a movie about making a movie. It's part documentary (sort of), part movie, part musical. These aren't professional Hollywood actors, so don't expect that kind of quality - this is an independent film. The actors at times come across as stiff, but then they're mostly local folks who aren't intent on a Hollywood career. I'm not even sure these folks have stage acting experience. This isn't on the same level as the Sherwood films (Fireproof, Facing the Giants, etc.) but it does show that good movies can be made with creativity, determination, and perseverance.

Loved seeing the talent of these young not-yet-professionals

Author: gilruth from Australia
16 September 2011

Loved the film. It clearly doesn't have the professional acting standard of big budget films but has much else to make it worth watching.

What we were blown away by was the talent and creativity of these youngsters and how they've pulled in their family and friends for the acting, singing and presumably technical jobs. The visuals were great, and loved a lot of the creative format (although it did take a moment to realise and then get comfortable to the fact that there was going to be singing).

I think some other viewers have missed the point - these are some home-schooled kids who had an interest in film and have done an amazing job to produce such a film - can you do better? Obviously if they had a big budget they could have hired some professional actors, got better sets, tightened up the story-line and made it faster moving.

For a low budget film it is refreshing. I look forward to seeing what they come up with next.

Great Family Film

Author: Michael Hof from United States
11 January 2010

The Widow's Might is a delightful and engaging story that captures the attention of the viewer quickly and holds it throughout the film. Garnished with light-hearted humor, wit, and song, the film brings home a powerful and important message that it is the responsibility of all godly people to defend those that can't defend themselves. This film becomes even more impressive in light of the fact that it is the first feature-length film HeuMoore Productions has released. While there is room for growth in regards to dialog and situational humor, The Widow's Might is a warm-hearted and Christ-centered film that will delight the whole family. I look forward to future projects from this promising group!

The greatest movie since John Wayne died

Author: adremy from United States
9 September 2011

This movie is a great wholesome movie that the entire family can see, no covering your children's eyes up because of nudity, blood and guts, or fowl jesters. The characters are true to life and let us all know that there are still good people out there who will help each other without there being a "WHATS IN IT FOR ME" catch. We all could learn a lot about compassion, fellowship, and faith in our fellow man from this very young and obviously talented writer/director--JOHN MOORE. Both his and ANGELA COATES professional singing voices are surely "GRAMMY" award winning material. This movie is a must see for all who love true virtues and ethics of the proper human being we all should be.

Incredible Cinema Experience!

Author: Derek Smith from United States
8 November 2009

This film has some of the most thought provoking moments I've seen presented! John Moore is an amazingly talented Producer/Director/Writer who is way ahead of his time! The unique way the film was written will inspire anyone's creative thinking. The truth is presented in a way that will encourage you to consider your current thought process. You will be inspired and challenged by the message. There's a balance of drama, comedy and suspense throughout the film. The Widow's Might is a MUST SEE for any American that truly loves her Country. If you haven't seen this film, I highly recommend you order the DVD and enjoy it together with your entire family!

The Widow's Might--an experience like no other

Author: jonathan-pottervilla from United States
30 October 2009

'The Widow's Might' is a heartwarming film, which I highly recommend. HueMoore productions has combined multiple genera, and succeeded. Their film is a comical western musical telling a story of modern day politics, religion and film making, teaching solid values while respecting the family--an impressive task. Yet, John Moore and David Heustis present a beautiful piece in stunning high definition blue-ray that clearly communicates their message without obscuring the storyline in any way. Unfortunately, The Widow's Might's strengths are also it's weakness. Some would say that as both writer and actor, John Moore's religious and political views are indeed radical. Yet for anyone who still believes in the family, still hopes for the Church, and yes, still holds on the widow's Might (Jehovah), viewing 'The Widow's Might' is an experience like no other.

Great family movie

Author: soccer3564 from United States
26 October 2009

This is a great family movie for anyone who liked "facing the giants" or "fireproof". I had the opportunity to meet Jeff Moore this past . weekend and hear about his beliefs. He is a very strong man with strong beliefs. This movie was paid for and produced by him and his family, there are parts in the movie where you can tell that it is an independent film. Over all, it has a great plot and the actors in it are great for being their first movie. This movie is great for people who love musicals. This is a great family movie for anyone who liked "facing the giants"or "fireproof". I had the opportunity to meet Jeff Moore this past weekend and hear about his beliefs. He is a very strong man with strong beliefs. This movie was paid for and produced by him and his family, there are parts in the movie where you can tell that it is an independent film. Over all, it has a great plot and the actors in it are great for being their first movie. This movie is great for people who love musicals.