The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box

Strong start, but loses focus and ends with a thud

Author: cantake8 from United States
9 January 2014

When this film began I was exhilarated. Not knowing anything about the film prior to screening, the cast is the first thing to impress. Visually, it is handsomely mounted. I anticipated another classic adventure favorite unfolding before me.

Unfortunately the film becomes laden with details and loose threads as it moves along, and fails to gain steam or provide answers. There are side stories that are intriguing when introduced, but never pursued. Then there are "discoveries" which are made much too easily, one wonders why nobody made them before.

Aneurin Barnard who plays Mariah, the older brother in the family, appeared to be the next heartthrob-in-the-making; handsome, talented, appealing. But it isn't to be as I doubt many people will rush to this film. Michael Sheen is splendid as he hams his way through this film, but he is unmatched by any other players, mostly due to the troubled screenplay with which they contend. Sam Neill is wasted in a role of broad villainous strokes that are tired and worn out.

Other characters appear and then aren't heard from again, supposedly until the sequel. By the time this film ends, there isn't a coherent TEAM of triumphant adventurers over a defeated foe, just kids who made it through a harrowing experience with the help of some grown-ups who are never strongly defined.

The film shifts abruptly from classic adventure to science fiction, which is such a bumpy transition, I was thrown off.

Family Fantasy Fun!

Author: wesryb from Orange County, CA
16 January 2014

I don't understand why this film has received such poor reviews. I personally thought it was a magically fun viewing experience.

The key ingredient to enjoying this film, like other successful films in the past: "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "National Treasure", is if one can imagine archaeological antiquities holding unimaginable super powers...the door is opened.

The story line was thus believable, production values were high, music kept the pace, and the acting was superb. Aneurin Barnard was fantastic as 'Mariah Mundi'! He has such an interesting and emotional look with the acting chops to really pull off this role (I also loved him in "The White Queen"). Michael Sheen totally pulled of the character of 'Captain Will Charity'. He was hilarious and deeply serious all at the same time. Watch him in "Unthinkable" some time and witness what this thespian has to offer. Lena Headley has cemented her role as a self- seeking witch (I LOVE GAME OF THRONES, but she always plays the 'Cersi' role..branch out babe!). Sam Neil was great as always. And I must give props to the young Xavier Atkins for his portrayal of 'Felix', he was great.

Overall, if you let your children watch films like "Hugo", they will enjoy this one!

Earnest But Bland

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
3 February 2014

"The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box" introduces us to Mariah Mundi. He (yes, Mariah is a guy) is the son of a couple who deals with ancient artifacts. When his parents and younger brother get kidnapped, Mariah allies with the eccentric and mysterious Captain Will Charity to locate a certain Midas Box, which their captor Otto Luger desperately wants to get his hands on.

Actually this film has all the elements that should have made it succeed. It stars some pretty established actors like Michael Sheen (as Will Charity) and Sam Neill (as Otto Luger). The lush cinematography and authentic-looking period production design does not stray far from previous hits of similar nature like "Sherlock Holmes" or "National Treasure." There were actually some nifty computer generated visual effects.

Despite these pluses though, "The Adventurer" still wound up pretty ordinary as these films go. It probably took itself too seriously to generate any element of fun, something that other historical detective films possess. The lead actor who played Mariah lacked charisma to carry the whole film. This film seems to be targeted to the younger- than-10 crowd, but I think even these kids expect something more than this.

worth watching and hope there is a sequel

Author: Kathy Nolan from United States
1 March 2014

This was a great movie for the whole family. A bit of a sleeper because it was better than expected. Shame it did not get the adds it should have so more people could have watched it and perhaps done better at the box office. I am surprised at the bad reviews on this web site and hope more people get a chance to see it. I am eager to see a sequel. The story line was good. The settings were full of interesting things to see. The cinematography was excellent. Actors did a great job of making their characters believable. This film took me on a journey, a true adventure and was not predictable. There was a mysterious air to this film. I could see some influence from Harry Potter and Indiana Jones and others but this film was better in keeping your attention without the use of sex, drugs, foul language, excessively violence or bloody scenes. Well done.

UK Cinema has caught the Hollywood disease

Author: Had Enough from Ireland
27 January 2014

How very very sad, to see a UK movie turn out the same as the utter drivel coming out of Hollywood in recent times. UK Cinema has always been a safe fallback, guaranteeing a decent story and decent acting. The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box...not only equals the lacklustre movies offered by Hollywood, but in some cases surpasses it for wasting movie lovers time and money. There is absolutely no viable story, and the script is brutal. Mariah Mundi (Aneurin Barnard), the supposedly main character, not only figures clues out in 2seconds, when various so called geniuses have been struggling to do so for a long time, but he also tells all and sundry the secrets which he has been sworn to keep. I believe he has a great future ahead of him if he get's a good agent who will protect him from this sort of career destroying rubbish. Sam Neill, Michael Sheen,Ioan Gruffudd and Leana Headey, are all old hands at the movie game and should have some conscience about foisting this so called movie on their fans, but I suppose money talks..shame.. Avoid this movie for health and sanity reasons.

Young adult action thriller with steampunk and fantastic elements.

Author: suite92 from SoCal, USA
24 May 2014

The time and place are somewhere that has both steampunk and fantastic elements. The clothing and cultural affect is late Victorian; the technology, steam, mechanical, with some electricity, but no electronics. The dual quests are for a lost brother and a magical, powerful box.

The Mundi family and Charity are on one side of the quest for the box. Luger and Monica are on a different side. Charity gains some particular intelligence about Luger's efforts, plus a broken key relevant to the box. He relays some information and the pieces of the key. Soon thereafter, the Mundi family is attacked. Charity helps Mariah escape, but Charles, Catherine, and Felix are kidnapped. The parents, Charles and Catherine, and questioned harshly by Luger, and Felix is made to work in a particular mine.

Mariah works at Luger's hotel to gain intelligence, disguised as a new porter. He has some success at this, and meets Sacha. After Luger gets the two broken key pieces from Felix and Mariah, he adds another piece to complete it. The fun really begins, as Luger gets closer to the box.

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 8/10 Dark and murky, but well shot.

Sound: 9/10 No problems.

Acting: 7/10 Sam Neill was good, as was Michael Sheen. Aneurin Neuman grew on me during the film.

Screenplay: 8/10 Moves right along. I'm looking forward to the sequel. As a YA film, this was fine.

A young English man is pulled into an Indiana Jones type of adventure

Author: Doc T
29 April 2014

This is a good, entertaining, slightly-cheesy, mystery/action movie you can absolutely watch with your kids.

I honestly don't understand the low ratings. Note that it is "Indiana Jones LIKE" in nature, but Indiana Jones it is not. It is not meant to be and it is not meant to be taken too seriously.

What it is, is:

1:Fun 2:Clean 3:Well acted (for the most part. I suspect some characters were meant to be cheesy) 4:well filmed.

I enjoyed it. I feel it's completely safe to watch with young children, and that is a rare thing. I recommend you give this movie a chance, ESPECIALLY if you're a parent looking for something you can watch with your kids that YOU can enjoy at the same time...

Pretty to look at

Author: pensman from United States
27 May 2014

Obviously over rated but it's a movie with flaws and yet . . . . Only actors I recognize are Sam Neill, sure he did the film for the money, and Ioan Gruffudd, a.k.a. Reed Richards and Horatio Hornblower. For 25 million they did get a movie with great sets and fairly good actors. What they needed was a better screen writer. No doubt if I knew the book, which I assume is aimed at the YA steampunk audience, I would have followed the plot with more clarity. This isn't a bad movie but there are plot jumps that leave you wondering if you missed something while reaching for some popcorn. Definitely needed those transitions that are probably on some cutting room floor. While it seems clear this film was shot with a sequel in mind, you can watch it as a stand alone. Basically if you are home and it's a rainy or snowy day and you want a well shot escapist film to watch then this is a contender. Plot is basic: Before parents disappear they hide two parts of amulet with their children along with a cryptic warning; younger brother gets taken by bad guys; older brother goes in search of younger sibling and gets some help along the way; and relatively happy ending with cliffhanger. Think of it as Warehouse 13 in 19th Century.

Doesn't quite go far enough with what it has to give you.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
26 January 2014

Fantastical, and flamboyant, with a steam punk flare to give it a great look, and feel. There are many signs of the birth of a new franchise here. Within the box you have a well polished story, and many fine actors from all over the world come together. It has all the flare , and special effects of Van Helsing, or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Hall but the mental acuity of The Golden Compass. The story is whimsical, and feels like it is being told of a different world, not quite our own, just similar on the outside. I did Enjoy the movie, and would recommend it to any one of any age, but much more for the younger more prone to the imaginings, as it should be easier for them to fall into this world.

They call the boy Mariah.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
26 May 2014

I came across this movie on Netflix streaming movies. Overall I will say it is refreshing to see a PG-rated movie instead of all the R-rated movies that dwell on foul language and sex. This one is just an entertaining adventure, somewhat better than its IMDb rating would indicate.

First off I will compare it to the "Indiana Jones" movies, even the "Young Indy" versions. This story is set in 1885, starts in London, and involves a search for a rare and powerful antiquity.

Michael Sheen is Charity, and also in disguise becomes the famous magician. He is one of the good guys who want to protect antiquities.

Sam Neill is one of the bad guys, as Otto Luger, he wants to get the Midas box for his own selfish motives. As legend has it the Midas box will allow you to turn anything into gold, but it seems it has even more sinister powers.

Young actor Aneurin Barnard is the nominal hero, as Mariah Mundi. His escapades to first find his kidnapped younger brother, tracking him to a hotel on an island, then making sure the Midas Box is kept in safe hands, has to remind the viewer of "Indiana Jones."

And, in the end he even has a love interest, young and pretty Mella Carron as the newly orphaned Sacha. He met her as she worked in the hotel as a seamstress, when he was posing as a porter.

Fun movie, plus the picture and sound track are first-rate. A good, entertaining adventure diversion.