The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box

Strong start, but loses focus and ends with a thud

Author: cantake8 from United States
9 January 2014

When this film began I was exhilarated. Not knowing anything about the film prior to screening, the cast is the first thing to impress. Visually, it is handsomely mounted. I anticipated another classic adventure favorite unfolding before me.

Unfortunately the film becomes laden with details and loose threads as it moves along, and fails to gain steam or provide answers. There are side stories that are intriguing when introduced, but never pursued. Then there are "discoveries" which are made much too easily, one wonders why nobody made them before.

Aneurin Barnard who plays Mariah, the older brother in the family, appeared to be the next heartthrob-in-the-making; handsome, talented, appealing. But it isn't to be as I doubt many people will rush to this film. Michael Sheen is splendid as he hams his way through this film, but he is unmatched by any other players, mostly due to the troubled screenplay with which they contend. Sam Neill is wasted in a role of broad villainous strokes that are tired and worn out.

Other characters appear and then aren't heard from again, supposedly until the sequel. By the time this film ends, there isn't a coherent TEAM of triumphant adventurers over a defeated foe, just kids who made it through a harrowing experience with the help of some grown-ups who are never strongly defined.

The film shifts abruptly from classic adventure to science fiction, which is such a bumpy transition, I was thrown off.

Earnest But Bland

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
3 February 2014

"The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box" introduces us to Mariah Mundi. He (yes, Mariah is a guy) is the son of a couple who deals with ancient artifacts. When his parents and younger brother get kidnapped, Mariah allies with the eccentric and mysterious Captain Will Charity to locate a certain Midas Box, which their captor Otto Luger desperately wants to get his hands on.

Actually this film has all the elements that should have made it succeed. It stars some pretty established actors like Michael Sheen (as Will Charity) and Sam Neill (as Otto Luger). The lush cinematography and authentic-looking period production design does not stray far from previous hits of similar nature like "Sherlock Holmes" or "National Treasure." There were actually some nifty computer generated visual effects.

Despite these pluses though, "The Adventurer" still wound up pretty ordinary as these films go. It probably took itself too seriously to generate any element of fun, something that other historical detective films possess. The lead actor who played Mariah lacked charisma to carry the whole film. This film seems to be targeted to the younger- than-10 crowd, but I think even these kids expect something more than this.

UK Cinema has caught the Hollywood disease

Author: Had Enough from Ireland
27 January 2014

How very very sad, to see a UK movie turn out the same as the utter drivel coming out of Hollywood in recent times. UK Cinema has always been a safe fallback, guaranteeing a decent story and decent acting. The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box...not only equals the lacklustre movies offered by Hollywood, but in some cases surpasses it for wasting movie lovers time and money. There is absolutely no viable story, and the script is brutal. Mariah Mundi (Aneurin Barnard), the supposedly main character, not only figures clues out in 2seconds, when various so called geniuses have been struggling to do so for a long time, but he also tells all and sundry the secrets which he has been sworn to keep. I believe he has a great future ahead of him if he get's a good agent who will protect him from this sort of career destroying rubbish. Sam Neill, Michael Sheen,Ioan Gruffudd and Leana Headey, are all old hands at the movie game and should have some conscience about foisting this so called movie on their fans, but I suppose money talks..shame.. Avoid this movie for health and sanity reasons.

Family Fantasy Fun!

Author: wesryb from Orange County, CA
16 January 2014

I don't understand why this film has received such poor reviews. I personally thought it was a magically fun viewing experience.

The key ingredient to enjoying this film, like other successful films in the past: "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "National Treasure", is if one can imagine archaeological antiquities holding unimaginable super powers...the door is opened.

The story line was thus believable, production values were high, music kept the pace, and the acting was superb. Aneurin Barnard was fantastic as 'Mariah Mundi'! He has such an interesting and emotional look with the acting chops to really pull off this role (I also loved him in "The White Queen"). Michael Sheen totally pulled of the character of 'Captain Will Charity'. He was hilarious and deeply serious all at the same time. Watch him in "Unthinkable" some time and witness what this thespian has to offer. Lena Headley has cemented her role as a self- seeking witch (I LOVE GAME OF THRONES, but she always plays the 'Cersi' role..branch out babe!). Sam Neil was great as always. And I must give props to the young Xavier Atkins for his portrayal of 'Felix', he was great.

Overall, if you let your children watch films like "Hugo", they will enjoy this one!

worth watching and hope there is a sequel

Author: Kathy Nolan from United States
1 March 2014

This was a great movie for the whole family. A bit of a sleeper because it was better than expected. Shame it did not get the adds it should have so more people could have watched it and perhaps done better at the box office. I am surprised at the bad reviews on this web site and hope more people get a chance to see it. I am eager to see a sequel. The story line was good. The settings were full of interesting things to see. The cinematography was excellent. Actors did a great job of making their characters believable. This film took me on a journey, a true adventure and was not predictable. There was a mysterious air to this film. I could see some influence from Harry Potter and Indiana Jones and others but this film was better in keeping your attention without the use of sex, drugs, foul language, excessively violence or bloody scenes. Well done.

Doesn't quite go far enough with what it has to give you.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
26 January 2014

Fantastical, and flamboyant, with a steam punk flare to give it a great look, and feel. There are many signs of the birth of a new franchise here. Within the box you have a well polished story, and many fine actors from all over the world come together. It has all the flare , and special effects of Van Helsing, or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Hall but the mental acuity of The Golden Compass. The story is whimsical, and feels like it is being told of a different world, not quite our own, just similar on the outside. I did Enjoy the movie, and would recommend it to any one of any age, but much more for the younger more prone to the imaginings, as it should be easier for them to fall into this world.

Frrrom your powers combined... I am one of the worst movie ever!

Author: mircea-kristea from Bucharest, Romania
27 January 2014

OK... where do I begin...

First thing that caught my attention was the really poor acting of the not-known actors from the movie, I don't know why pretty good actors like Michael Sheen agree to play next to such greenhorns.

Second thing is the 'missing parts' feeling that the movie gives you. It lacks those elements in charge with the smooth and logical transfer from one scene or plot to another. This is gymnasium level directing and/or editing, really.

Third thing is the amount of unnecessary and unrelated to the movie scenes. I will not give an example so I will not spoil the movie for you but there are some scenes that really give you the feeling that were cut from another movies and accidentally introduced here.

Also, although the movie suppose to take you into the late 19th century London, somehow you have the feeling that cell phone could ring anytime.

It is somehow bad directing, bad editing, bad screenplay, bad acting, bad etc. shook hands to make fun of a good idea.

That is really a shame. I would have liked this movie.

What Are You Guys Complining About?

Author: couchfrenchfry from United States
22 February 2014

The film is a bit uneven in spots but quite entertaining. Perhaps they borrowed from 'Indiana Jones' and 'Warehouse 13' but as the saying says, 'If you're going to steal, steal from the best.' I thought it was not only a good film, it was almost two good films. The first section is like a separate story. Then the island hotel scenes are like a different world. Great atmosphere. I would like to see this show become a regular feature coming out with a new adventure every year or so. Looks like what they are planning. Perhaps some of the unevenness is owing to setting up future stories. Reminds me of the 'The Librarian' franchise which I quite enjoyed. In my opinion, this film is solid entertainment.

nice

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
14 April 2014

adventure in pure form with seductive clothes. treasure, run, the magic of war between good and evil, inspired music and acting. a film for entire family joy, not different by trend but far to be disappointing. the mixture- Victorian atmosphere, one of Ancient myths reference, a good acting and children is real seductive. and that could not represent a surprise. sure, it is just entertainment but that is its basic virtue. it is not original but the use of ordinary references does it interesting. a shining movie . that is all. fight scenes, secrets, courage and adorable characters. a clear purpose and a lot of events. so, see it !

Imitate and worse

Author: gurubesar from Canada
17 February 2014

The movie was produced with the idea of similar like Indiana Jones, Lara Croft and all the other similar movies. However, there was one important thing the producer forgot. There is so such thing as Midas Box. Midas was a king with the touch that can turn other things into gold and in order to do that, he just had to touch the item. But it is a fantasy movie, anything goes....

The story line is not very clear and sometimes even confusing. It shows an American train style and the set was supposed to be in England. On top of that the kid actor was acting like as if it was on stage performance. I can not understand what they see behind the camera that they did not catch this kind of bad acting...

And of course, there is this Hollywood things. Part of the act was when they try to steal something from the office. Being a thief does not make somebody being cautious, but hey.... take as much time as you need and explore instead of getting the important information. There is no sense of urgency that you can see on the face of the actors who's doing it. And if you have something valuable given to you to safeguard; flaunt it so that everybody can see that you have it so they can steal or take it.

For something with a budget of $25 millions, I expect more on the script. Better make-up, better plot and consistent story are the least that they can do. I would have considered this one as a B grade movie, but the budget seems a bit too much for a B grade. If you don't have anything to do and have a bit of extra money to waste, then this might be the movie to see.