IMDb > Gunless (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Gunless More at IMDbPro »

Good light-hearted comedy

Author: trueman-1 from Nova Scotia
2 May 2010

My wife and I just caught this movie in the theatre and we both found it an enjoyable light-hearted western/comedy. To those who have never heard of a Canadian "western," you must be very young because there have been a few, mostly Hollywood, and involving Mounties, but also some home-grown ones, though these never made it to the big screen.

But I digress. This movie is one of good clean fun which the whole family can enjoy. Perhaps this is one of the real complaints for those who compare it to a CBS movie - no gratuitous sex, violence or foul language. If you are going looking for these elements you'll be sorely disappointed. It does make a political statement regarding some differences between Canadians and Americans, and against handguns (though thankfully doesn't group shotguns and rifles into the same category). However, overall, the production values are quite high, especially for a low-budget movie - something I think many people tend to forget - and certainly compared to a CBS movie-of-the-week special. You can't even pay the salary of a lead Hollywood actor for $10 million.

Generally this movie should appeal to those who go in with realistic expectations, and of course fans of Paul Gross. Oh, and watch the credits for a time before you leave the theatre.

Props to Gross for this quirky Western from the north

Author: Samiam3 from Canada
1 May 2010

Well here is a first. I've never heard of a Canadian western. The idea may sound promising or risky. What it turns out to be is delightful, a bit amateurish, but fun.

The movie is played mostly for laughs. Paul Gross is terrific. To be honest, the guy feels like a cross between Bruce Campbell and Matt Dillon to be honest. Gunless is definitely not a traditional western, but like all the best ones it has a fiery showdown, throwing in some satire for good measure.

Western and Comedy don't often come together. I think Blazzing Saddles is the only one that ever tried, either that or the only one which succeeded, (well there is also Shanghai Noon). Gunless, though far from the humour of Mel Brooks, offers something fresh amongst all the mediocre/gimmicky pre summer features currently running. If it has managed to get theatrical release in your country (to all my non-Canadian readers), go see it, if not rent it when in comes out in a few months.

Gunless - and clueless. a low-budget flick that rocks!

Author: torrentstorm from United States
1 September 2010

I had not seen Paul Gross since Passchendaele, and Sienna Guillory since The Time Machine. This was a pleasure to see them work together in a movie made for the enjoyment of everyone.

There is little else I can add to the above reviews, all of them quite accurate, except, I would not call this movie a forgettable waste of time. Comedy it is, yes, more tongue-in-cheek, but I know I wore a smile throughout the viewing because of the light-hearted-attempting-to be-serious story. On more than one occasion I could not resist laughing at the irresistible parodies. Some clichés were a bit silly, but not irritating.

Not so for The Montana Kid. A hardened gunfighter used to killing and death, is not easily swayed by pretty smiles and kind words, nor clueless people (hence the word clueless in my title). What can a hardened killer want with a small town full of innocent, warm people, living what appears to be in a dream world, who had never seen a gunfight, let alone a hardened killer (or was he)?

Lots of pleasant moments in this movie, one I'll want to watch again in time. But, that is not the best of it. The best part lies in this question: Can a town free of guilt and murderous hatred help a seasoned gunman to change his ways and thinking, helping him to find forgiveness and peace, without being bossy, or preachy, or pushy in any way? Moreover, can a wanted man, with a bounty on his head, learn the spirit of self-sacrifice and redemption, to protect those he has come to love and appreciate? That final scene, when both Montana and his lady love Jane were facing the bounty hunter was touching, showed the true nature of my previous statement, especially because of how they both played this out.

A really nice movie, friends! Worth every moment! Take your kids too! The fact that there isn't any real sex, violence is low-key, no foul language, does not make it a worthless movie. Nor is it a stupid comedy.

I never thought I'd see a low budget flick this good! Give it a go, friends!

Wow - Refreshing

Author: Timothy O'Connor (ihometech@verizon.net) from United States
28 August 2010

Refreshing original look at a tongue in cheek Western...a tale of the Montana Kid up against Canadina sensibilities.

Has the look and feel of an old fashion western and is wonderfully played by the leads.

Not meant to be a story of particular depth, if you look for what isn't there then you never got it to begin with. Having said that there are scenes which do have depth, and a great feel of honor and, at times, nobility.

I enjoyed this movie for a lot of reasons...not least of which are the performances of Paul Gross and Sienna Guillory.

Excellent Canadian gem!

Underrated movie

Author: shaynetonio from Canada
10 October 2010

This is a lighthearted Canadian western (if there is such a thing). I don't think this film has a lot of international appeal but for those of us who live in Canada, I believe that this film is one to try out! The comedy in this film is cute, and the action is not bad considering how many cast members are in this film. But this is what gives this film its charm.

But what really pulls this film off is the scenery, I believe they filmed this out in Osoyoos BC (in the interior) and you really can't complain about the beautiful night sky full of stars, and the rugged dusty terrain of one of the most charming parts of BC.

Overall, this ain't no Unforgiven but it is a unique, Canadian made, film that is fun to watch.

Unexpected!

Author: Tiw Lado from Georgia
12 September 2010

recently, I grabbed few low-budget westerns to watch on my DVD during the weekend. (I have reviewed one of them, 6 Guns, that was pretty bad, and I didn't even bother to review the second one, so awful it was) So you can guess that i didn't have high expectation for this one. Especially if you add the fact that movie is Canadian, and I didn't really know Canadians do westerns too.

Now boy, was I wrong to look at the film with a wrong eye.

From the first shots till the end, the movie proved to be fun. There was this specific Canadian humor I guess, which I understood perfectly (Being non Canadian and even non American at all), because it was delivered very well by very talented actors.

Speaking about actors. I can say for sure that for a long time I never saw such a good acting in low budget movies.

God... Russel Crowey gets millions of salary for ruining the epic legends (yeah, I mean Robin Hood parody he did), while these guys delivering much more fun gain ten times less.

Action scenes were shot well, camera work was good and lightning and the editing caused no questions.

Of course you feel all the way through the film that this is low budget, but it adds to the charm.

9 out 10...

unique, entertaining, well done

Author: thesiouxfallskid from United States
25 November 2010

First of all I have to give it ten stars out of a possible ten. Uniquely written about a gunfighter having a difficult time picking a fight. Actors well chosen, music nicely arranged, a film where we see people as people. Very entertaining. Intelligently done. I could never tell what was about to happen next, so in vivid contrast to most westerns that I have seen it was in no way clichéd, at least not to me. You might want to watch the credits at the end or you will miss out on some things. And the film has a worthwhile message. I do disagree with some of the other reviewers. I would not say low budgeted as that has a negative connotation. Perhaps the film simply didn't require a high cost of production and had no gratuitous spending. Nothing cheap in what I saw. As for no foul language maybe those reviewers were munching on chips each time that certain word (ahem, ending in ck) was used as well as several other such expressions which to the merit of the film came out very naturally, or maybe they heard a different audio track from what I heard.

Thumbs up to this pleasant, funny, time-period comedy

Author: BM Rao (bmrao1980) from United States
25 August 2010

It felt just so good to be watching this pleasant non-political, no-gore, light-hearted comedy. I for one would definitely pay to watch more of such movies. This really is the definition of good clean fun. I loved the story-idea, the various little sub-plots (especially Jack, the Blacksmith one), and the acting of all the characters was pretty competent. Sure, it had an amateurish feel to it from time to time, but that didn't take away from the fun of watching the movie. My only complaint are that the villain could have been a little more menacing and/or a little more funny - he ended up being neither. My only serious complaint is the hairdo the protagonist sports - that was a disaster!

Very Enjoyable (Rare) Current Western!

Author: omni_purch from United States
25 January 2011

With the dearth of any, let alone decent westerns nowadays, this movie was a breath of fresh air. In the vein of the classic Briscoe County, it was a treat to watch. Acting was as well done if not better than the junk Hollywood offers. (Yes, Lower Case!) Obviously I enjoy westerns, and most of the recent movies guised as westerns have not made the grade. I will certainly watch this one again as well as recommend it. Oops, I see I need to write more... I guess simple and succinct doesn't rate. So, sorry, here are a few more lines. Nice to see it was based in Canada - clean skies and a lot of green... duh, am I done yet??? Let's see.

Thank you.

Gunless Keeps the Safety On

Author: gatsby601 from Canada
30 April 2010

Promoted as a comedy, Gunless is your basic 'fish out of water tale'. This time out a hardboiled American gunman encounters a town full of sweetly naive Canadians who, seem to have settled the west without even raising their voices at each other let alone resorting to - gasp - violence.

What the film actually is is a pleasant but not really funny or dramatic exercise in safe script writing. Americans, as is usual in Canadian films, are portrayed as violent and stupid and authority figures as ridge and out of touch. That's about the extent of any social commentary.

Paul Gross, to his credit, tries his best to carry the film - and accent - but everything here is surface. Dramatic scenes like when the love interest talks about being abused or when the Kid recounts the men he has killed come off flat and unconvincing.

Shot more like a t.v. movie then a feature Gunless is mostly limited to close up and two shots. It fails to convey a sense of time or place and you never feel this is a small isolated town on a vast frontier.

The final act, a stand off between the Montana Kid versus his old nemesis, a scarred bounty hunter, never has a chance. Refusing to commit to the humour of a Blazing Saddles or the grit of Unforgiven, Gunless keeps to the middle lane of the uncommitted.

Gunless then is a brisk, polite and forgettable time waster.