IMDb > Grown Ups (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Grown Ups

Grown Ups More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Just another Adam Sandler film...

Author: Frank van 't Veer from Netherlands
11 July 2010

There is nothing wrong about this film... there is nothing right about it either. It's just another Adam Sandler feel-good movie, and if you like these (I certainly do), you will like this movie too. If you hate them for a lack of plot or the shallowness of the jokes, you won't. I just know I laughed a numerous amount of times, and I felt good after having watched it.

And no, I'm not a stupid guy; I like a good plot, good acting, directing and well-thought-of puns as does the next guy. But there are times when you feel like watching a complicated drama, and there are times when you feel like watching a no-brainer.

This is definitely a no-brainer, which will make you feel good from time to time. That's why Adam Sandler makes these movies, and that's why they keep doing so well.

They will make you feel good :)

How best to sum up this film in two words... Hell I'll give you one word: "FAIL".

Author: captainflab from United States
26 June 2010

If you prefer two words, I can think of any number of things to say. Since I am bored, I will give you a full review.

If you had told me the premise of Grown Ups maybe a year ago, I would have been stoked... "Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Rob Schneider, David Spade and Chris Rock, hanging out in a lake house, cracking wise at each other for two hours? Sign me up! Whats the plot? Wait that IS the plot? You mean they just hang out and insult each other? OK OK, still somewhat excited, it will be R rated right? No? Hmm."

That would have been my reaction a year ago. However, I first heard about this film recently, so I fortunately didn't have any time to build my expectations for it above "first day of school" levels of dread. Even so, I was disappointed. Grown Ups is a horrible thing that has been unleashed on the movie-going world.

I guess maybe I'm not giving this film any credit. There is a plot; seems the five aforementioned stars used to play Middle School basketball together. The coach of their championship team dies, and THAT'S why they all get together at the lake house. Sorry if its hard to follow but if so then maybe you will like this movie.

What follows is an odd collection of tender family moments interspersed with fart jokes, nut shots, and fat people (Kevin James) or short people (Rob Schneider) getting hurt. Oh and did I mention the barrage of one-liners? Basically, the entire script is one big wry joke after another. I guess the writers realized nothing they could come up with was particularly funny, so they should go for quantity over quality. There are also several running gags (the not-yet-weaned four year old, the dog barking a lot, Kevin James is fat, etc. etc. ad nauseum). This might have worked, if even 25% of the jokes were actually funny.

sample of actual dialogue: (wayward basketball knocks beer out of woman's hand) Woman: Hey! You spilled my beer! Husband: Why does everything have to be about you? Woman: Why do you have to be such a DICK? hahahahaha! funny right? no? anyone?

Problem is I laughed maybe three times, and I'm being generous here, throughout the whole movie. The phrase "one-joke-premise", used disparagingly for many films, would be an accolade for Grown Ups. Oh and lets talk about casting; I appreciate the filmmaker's decision to help make up for their lack of skill by putting as much eye candy on screen as possible (Rob Schneider's daughters especially). But am I really supposed to believe Kevin James is married to Maria Bello? I didn't believe it with Leah Remini in King of Queens, I'm not going to buy it now. And Sandler with Salma Hayek? That one was only plausible because they made his character filthy rich.

I could probably rant about this film for a few more paragraphs, but I digress. You get the point by now I hope.

Groan Ups

Author: mmalone-14 from United States
5 July 2010

This movie is terrible. What a poor excuse with all of the talent involved. I am so glad that Adam Sandler and his friends had fun making this piece of garbage. Next time include a paying audience in on the joke. It would have been nice if one joke (were there any?) would have worked. Did I mention that not one joke worked? Adam Sandler claims that he co-wrote this mess, but we all know there was never a script. Adam just called up his SNL drinking buddies and said, "Hey, Let's take a vacation and film it for $80 million and charge people for it". Adam Sandler plays just a lazier version of himself. There is nothing he does in his movie that is amusing, but he did manage to crack himself up in nearly every scene. So at least he has that going for him. (I know that Adam's character stepped on the line and that is why he grew up to be a jerk.) I don't think anyone told Chris Rock that they were filming a movie until after it was completed. He looks befuddled in every scene. It is a shame that he is so bad in this trash when he was so good in Death At A Funeral. His acting in this movie is the real kiss of death. Kevin James has never ever been funny and so I expected nothing from him and he delivered a grand slam. Kevin spends almost half the movie inside a KFC box. That is how embarrassed he was. Dennis Dugan did a lazy job of directing(?) this "woodland waste". It's like he just set the camera down and let these 5 men try to act around it. I bet he spent most of his time trying to convince the stars how funny each scene was. He should be Razzy nominated. I will skip to the end of the movie because nothing really ever happened. Out of nowhere comes not even half-baked melodrama with each couple overcoming some stupid problem. Each issue is brought up and resolved within 5 minutes and then never mentioned again! Why bother even brining it up in the first place because no one cares in the slightest. The final basketball showdown is filmed as if the entire crew fell asleep. I've seen more tension in a Dora the Explorer episode. Sandler's final lesion is worthless and really doesn't make much sense when you think about everything that has happened before it. Sandler's family was due for a loss and the evil guy was due for a win. What??? The evil guy was a jerk to everyone in the movie. And besides how do you know he was due for a win you haven't been in town for a long time. You know nothing about his life. How in the world does that insignificant game change that much? No one in the audience is buying that ending Sandler. No one. The women characters in the movie do nothing of note, are interchangeable and look as bored as they audience watching these 5 idiots try and make the lamest stuff funny. I won't mention the women by name to spare them of unfair blame. And last but certainly not least (or very least) is the acting duo (?) of Spade and Schneider. They are so bad that they make the acting in Troll 2 look Oscar worthy. Both should have to give up their SAG cards for this. I want to vomit just thinking of their acting again. They are worse then amateurs. I think both of them must be hiding a dark secret of Sandlers; otherwise why are they here. I have an idea for Adam Sandler's next movie. Please call it "Train Wreck". This way when it is released no one will be surprised when it sucks.

Just not funny

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
18 September 2010

Some might disagree, but I'd say Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Chris Rock, David Spade and Kevin James is actually a pretty good main cast for a comedy. But that's also pretty much what makes the movie so frustrating, because absolutely nothing is done with them. Not only are the jokes weak and almost maddeningly predictable, the actors don't even get an actual story to work with. You can literally just erase main characters from this movie and it wouldn't affect the proceedings at all. Honestly, what does Chris Rock get to do in this movie? Can't remember a single one of his lines, really. The movie never really works up to a point, the characters have no goals, they just exist and you sit there and accept it. I really wish I could say something nice about this movie but seriously, even Steve Buscemi is bad in it. A bad Steve Buscemi. How do you do that? Very tiresome, witless comedy.

Grown-ups will find this feel-good, nostalgic fun, despite not being a five star winner

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
23 June 2010

Lenny (Adam Sandler) and his pals Eric (Kevin James), Kurt (Chris Rock), Marcus (David Spade), and Rob (Rob Schneider) once played on a junior champion basketball team, winning at the buzzer. Their beloved coach took them to a swanky eatery to celebrate, when they were kids, and told them to live their lives meaningfully before the "final" buzzer sounded. But, now, as adults, the quintet may have forgotten his words. In Lenny's household, the two sons play video games and text the nanny for refreshments all day long while his wife (Salma Hayek) works on her fashion designs. Lenny, a top agent, is living the good life but can't get his kids to go outside, not even his lovely daughter. Word arrives that coach has died and, although Lenny and family were to travel to Milan, they postpone the trip by one day to attend the funeral. Meeting up with his former friends, Lenny finds that their lives are off-track, too. Eric has gained weight and has 2 bratty children, Kurt has become a house husband, Marcus drinks too much and chases skirt while Rob is married to a considerably older woman, his fourth go around. Changing plans, Lenny rents a huge loghouse to let everyone linger a few days together, ceremoniously scatter the coach's ashes and re-connect, children, too. From hikes to swims to "paper cup phones", this crowd is discovering what is important, right? It would be impossible not to laugh at the good moments of this film, which seems like a long improvisation by these experts of comedy. There are some great lines and funny situations, certainly. No, its probably not the most memorable film of the year but if a feel-good experience is needed, this one should fit the bill. The cast is stellar, with all of the major actors doing fine and funny work. For the most part, too, they seem to work as an ensemble, passing around the catch phrases nearly equally. This viewer, however, wished that Rock had had a few more lines but he certainly makes the most of what he was handed. Hayek, Maria Bello, Maya Rudolph, and Joyce Van Patten, as the leading ladies, support the men nicely. The scenery, from the lovely wooded home to the riverfront, is a joy and the costumes, camera-work, script and direction are above average as well. Yes, some of the humor is not appropriate for younger children so parents need to be cautious. Nevertheless, if you like Sandler, James, Rock, etc and/or you would welcome a chance to laugh with your loved ones, ante up and go see this flick soon.

Hardly a movie

Author: actionlad from United States
20 November 2010

What do you get when you put Sandler, Schneider, Rock and Spade in a "comedy?" The makings of a pretty good film! Sprinkle in a little Kevin James and Selma Hayek and you might have a bona fide hit on your hands. Why then, does a film like this go so awry? Why did every joke miss? Why was every character completely unlikable. There wasn't a redeeming quality to any of the characters from the start of the film and the kids that some of the characters had spawned were even worse. All around, its such a dumb film that I was actually angry with myself for sticking to it and then wasting almost two hours waiting for it to get better.

When they finally introduce antagonists into the movie (almost an hour in), it's like Sandler and friends decided it as an afterthought.

For the purpose of full disclosure, I am a big fan of Adam Sandler and the rest of this bunch from movies like Happy Gilmore to I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, but this POS was sooooo bad. What the hell happened to you in making this movie, Mr. Sandler? The ending of this movie reminded me of the worst SNL skits that never really ended, they just had the audience applaud at the end of the sketch. What a waste!

Lacked quality control

Author: ticklegear from United States
30 June 2010

I am fan of Adam Sandler and Chris Rock (comedian, not actor). I've watched all of Sandler's movies but lately his movies just aren't as funny to me. It's either cuz I'm growing up or there's a serious lack of quality control in his films.

I got the impression that the script was written in a weekend and then shot without testing the jokes.

There were LOTS of jokes but many felt forced or just went over my head. The family moments were forced and felt awkward to even watch. I cringed and felt bad for the actors.

I think the circle of friends have what it takes to make a great comedy, but I think they'll need to work harder. I know they can do better cuz there were a few Kodak moments in there - classic Sandler humor.

Those stupid unfunny films that Hollywood continues to make

Author: joshwinkler87 from North Carolina
25 June 2010

In all honesty I didn't have any high expectations for this film. I only went to see it because me and my girlfriend got into a fight and kicked me out of the house for a few hours. I had already seen Toy Story 3 and noticed today that "Grown Ups" would be starting in 30 minutes. I said to myself, "What The Heck. It couldn't be any worse than the trailer of it suggested." I was wrong. Dead wrong.

The plot in itself is about as thin as you can get. I don't want to get into trouble on IMDb for posting spoilers but there is really nothing to spoil about this movie because there really is no plot to it. It's really nothing more than just a bunch of random 'jokes' thrown together for a few cheap laughs. What can you expect out of an Adam Sandler film but at least "Happy Gilmore", "Billy Madison", "Click" and "Big Daddy" were tolerable. This film on the other hand is not.

I will spoil one thing for you however. There is an obese black woman who is the mother of Chris Rock in this film. We get a nice little shot of bunion and callused feet as well as her habit of farting randomly. There are some jokes that rather fall flat such as jokes about homosexuality and so-called 'male bonding' and the film seems to insult today's 'tech savy' video game and texting children. Plenty of morbid dark humor (such as making jokes at a funeral and spilling someone's cremated ashes into a bucket of KFC.) There's also quite a bit of slapstick (being shot in the foot with an arrow) and toilet humor (Peeing in swimming pools.) Basically if you have an IQ of less than 45 and/or you find jokes similar to the ones in movies like "Big Momma's House" and "Are We There Yet?", "Grown Ups" is the perfect film for you. But if you want more intelligent humor, I suggest staying away from this one.

Disappointing

Author: dnbmeesha from Canada
17 July 2011

I absolutely love a lot of the actors/actresses in this movie so I originally was very excited to see it. I mean, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Kevin James, David Spade, Maya Rudolph, Steve Buscemi?? Sounds like comic gold! Nay. There was no plot & the one liners were just constant and 99.8% completely unfunny (we get it, you like to razz each other). It was almost like some of the actors even forgot how to act for this movie! I laughed a few times but pretty much spent the entire feeling like this level of comedy was insulting my intelligence. I expected more.

My kids though did think the movie was amazing so if you are between the ages of 6-14, you might enjoy this.

Final nail in the coffin...

Author: GodsPrototype from United Kingdom
19 December 2012

This is a harsh review but exactly how I feel a few hours after watching it - unhappy and depressed! I looked at the front cover of the DVD in tesco, it looked fun, was £3 and promised lots with some of the best comedy actors in the business, I was excited to see it, I love Sandler, Buscemi, Rock, James and Schneider...then...

...Two hours later... I was wondering whether to hang myself or convince myself that times have changed and this is what comedy is now. This film is without a doubt one of the unfunniest funny films ever.

There can be no real spoilers for there is no real plot - that's okay though, some films without plot are some of the best ever made - but this is just badly written and it's one of those films where every scene you're watching: you're thinking to yourself "Well, my Nan could have made that scene funnier" (by writing it, not starring in it!) I've turned away from Hollywood before and if this is the new future of comedy then count me and millions of others out.

Is this the final nail in the coffin of the career of Adam Sandler? Maybe! But when 'Men in Black 3' is funnier than the latest Sandler film then you know that something has gone terribly wrong. This has actually been £3 wasted and I've never said that about a film before.

If you want a film to make you go "huh, that was kinda comical" three or four times in a tedious two hour sitting then this is it, if you want to have a good laugh and feel good about yourself after - head off elsewhere!

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]